Refs this year...opinion?

RU5781

And coaches’ challenges has finally hit the NBA.   Their system sounds idiotic.  If a head coach wants to have a call/play reviewed, he must immediately call a timeout, without being able to review a replay first. That is just dumb. They only get one challenge per game.

Now, you have the NHL giving a team a 2 minute minor if the call is not overturned.  That’s ridiculous and too harsh.  There will likely be less challenges though.

The MLB system takes too long and still doesn’t always get it right.

Replays for all of the 4 major sports can kill the momentum of a team, regardless of the decision.  I think it’s wise to use technology to get the calls right, but all of these systems are flawed and it seems impossible for that to happen.

Back to the NFL, they don’t seem to think through some of these rule changes. Seemingly smart coaches like Sean Payton are on the competition committee, but they tend to make decisions that don’t improve the product from a fan’s perspective.

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You are either a troll or an idiot

I guess I'm an idiot then.  I may have been a little hyperbolic, I don't know if the officiating is any better this year, but I strongly feel that improvements in replay, video recording, and rule changes have made officiating a lot more consistent (and fair) than what it was in the past.  To me it seems like the officiating in every sport has improved markedly and continues to do so.

20 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I guess I'm an idiot then.  I may have been a little hyperbolic, I don't know if the officiating is any better this year, but I strongly feel that improvements in replay, video recording, and rule changes have made officiating a lot more consistent (and fair) than what it was in the past.  To me it seems like the officiating in every sport has improved markedly and continues to do so.

The officiating is historically bad this year.  I didn't mean to come off like an ass.  I am surprised someone doesn't think it has been

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

I guess I'm just not getting mad with all the winning.  Haven't really noticed anything obvious in the bills games.

Thankfully the Bills have yet to be totally jobbed. You know it's coming though. Week 16 most likely.

Watching for 40 years now. I think with so many games every week compared to when I started watching, the crews have been diluted in quality. In addition with HD and more camera angles we can see the plays far better than ever before. The bottom line is that the speed of the game has gone so far up that these officials just cannot keep up. Last nights game was filled with calls that were obviously guesses by the refs. The 2 illegal hands to the face calls looked at regular speed like they might be correct but on slow mo they were obviously wrong. Add to this the ticky tack penalties that have nothing to do with the play and the phantom calls where you cant see any infraction whatsoever and you have the new rock bottom of officiating.

They all suck ass. It's amazing how after the Saints/Rams game last year, they have somehow gotten worse. Those two phantom hands to the face penalties last night were absolutely brutal.

They all suck ass. It's amazing how after the Saints/Rams game last year, they have somehow gotten worse. Those two phantom hands to the face penalties last night were absolutely brutal.

They have been far too active for their own good...refs are supposed to be seen not heard. Nobody goes to a game wishing they see penalties on 5 straight plays, half of which are very questionable.

Edited by matter2003

9 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think the refs are trying to do their job with both hands tied behind their back and blindfolded.  There are so many rules, many of them overly complex by design, that no mortal can competently do the job 100% of the time in such a fast paced game.  For some of these calls, guys sitting at a desk with an array of televisions and equipment have to look at in slow motion 10 times to come to a decision.  

The only way to a better officiated game is less rules so they can focus on getting what's important (in the opinion of the NFL) right.  

at this point id say they are doing it to themselves. every rule does not have to be nitpicked enforced. did a guy touch a wide reciever or alter his route? did a guy intentionally lead with his helmet or did two guys accidently collide making football moves? its like common sense it out the window to make some absurd statement or somthing.

plenty of laws in this world and if cops wanna be pricks we would all be in court for 1 mile over the limit or jaywalking ect. luckly they seem to only care about the major ones where people are actively and intentionally breaking the law. i think refs should have the same standard.

I was raised to believe that when my team lost it was because we weren't the better team, and instead of pissing and moaning about the refs (for the rest of our life) to think about what improvements could be made to be better next game

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

I was raised to believe that when my team lost it was because we weren't the better team, and instead of pissing and moaning about the refs (for the rest of our life) to think about what improvements could be made to be better next game

i don't really see that. how do you prepare or become better when there are bad calls at this rate? people act like winning at the highest level is easy and you can just do better so bad calls effect it less. there is def pissing and moaning and at the end of the day it " might " be just human error. but if the ref calls something he thinks is a penalty...thats the problem! dont call it if its not clear. dont take over the game with 50/50 calls. let them play unless its clear. they cant help themselves this year. they are throwing flags at a amazing pace for minor issues that have no argument. fans pundits and announcers are all seeing this crap clear as day.

if you left for work and your tires got slashed you should have left 2 hours early..you should be fired. do better. next week windows smashed and battery stolen well should have left 3 hours early. point is, you can't predict bad officials so its not like there is a thing you can do but hope they do there job properly. they arent. bad officiating isn't a isolated incident this year, 1 missed call here and there. its a ton of games and calls! saying ah well we should have been better is a odd way to look at somthing you had no control over in a ultra competitive competion. 

the improvement that should be the focus for the next game should be the subject of the officials this year.

Refs have a thankless job.  The game moves so quickly now and collisions are so forceful that it becomes impossible to get every call right.  And as more and more rules are added on that rely on subjective interpretations at such speed it is no wonder there is a lot more controversy.

Personally, I would scale back on some of the rules (like the calls on hitting a QB; the one on Milano was particularly absurd), let DBs play receivers more, and finally just do away with replay altogether.  The only replays I'd allow would be for whether a first down is achieved or not or whether the ball breaks the plane on a TD play.  Otherwise accept that it is a game played and officiated by humans and that some human error is inherent.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Refs have a thankless job.  The game moves so quickly now and collisions are so forceful that it becomes impossible to get every call right.  And as more and more rules are added on that rely on subjective interpretations at such speed it is no wonder there is a lot more controversy.

Personally, I would scale back on some of the rules (like the calls on hitting a QB; the one on Milano was particularly absurd), let DBs play receivers more, and finally just do away with replay altogether.  The only replays I'd allow would be for whether a first down is achieved or not or whether the ball breaks the plane on a TD play.  Otherwise accept that it is a game played and officiated by humans and that some human error is inherent.

sounds good

not a hope of any of it happening

• Like (+1) 1

Whether it's gotten worse overall is hard to say, but I think it's undeniable that it's starting to turn fans off from watching the game when they see a nice play negated because the refs flagged someone for a ticky-tack hold that was on the other side of the field and had nothing to do with the success of the play. When the biggest penalty beneficiary in the whole NFL in Brady tweets that he's turning off the TV because there are too many penalties, you know a tipping point might be coming.

It's been easy to say that attendance has gone down the last few years because of anthem kneeling or TV technology makes it more enticing to just stay home, but can we rule out a segment of the football fandom might be getting tired of referees impacting a game and losing faith in the sport's integrity? I've seen quite a few replies in this thread saying the NFL product, which is an entertainment product at it's core and thus desirous of compelling story lines to sell their games, might be getting nudged toward them (aka "fixed") via refereeing and while I hate to give that view legitimacy, it's hard to totally dismiss as well.

1 minute ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Whether it's gotten worse overall is hard to say, but I think it's undeniable that it's starting to turn fans off from watching the game when they see a nice play negated because the refs flagged someone for a ticky-tack hold that was on the other side of the field and had nothing to do with the success of the play. When the biggest penalty beneficiary in the whole NFL in Brady tweets that he's turning off the TV because there are too many penalties, you know a tipping point might be coming.

It's been easy to say that attendance has gone down the last few years because of anthem kneeling or TV technology makes it more enticing to just stay home, but can we rule out a segment of the football fandom might be getting tired of referees impacting a game and losing faith in the sport's integrity? I've seen quite a few replies in this thread saying the NFL product, which is an entertainment product at it's core and thus desirous of compelling story lines to sell their games, might be getting nudged toward them (aka "fixed") via refereeing and while I hate to give that view legitimacy, it's hard to totally dismiss as well.

it's not open season to hold or chop-block or spear on players on the field just because they aren't directly in the play

you can't add another layer of interpretation to officiating as to whether the foul had no bearing on the outcome of the play

football rewards teams disciplined enough not to do bonehead things like hold an opponent far away from the mapped out play

Just now, row_33 said:

it's not open season to hold or chop-block or spear on players on the field just because they aren't directly in the play

you can't add another layer of interpretation to officiating as to whether the foul had no bearing on the outcome of the play

I'm not saying ignore egregious penalties, especially those that could injure a player, but common sense should factor into refereeing as to when a minor penalty should be called, and there should definitely be more of an effort made to get penalties right when they make a major impact on the outcome of a game, like a phantom hands to the face penalty that helps the other team convert on 3rd and long. 

No different than any previous year. Ya know how you know? Because EVERY team is bitching. Listening to SiriusXM NFL, fans from all teams are bitching about refs. That means it’s not slanted toward any one team. They universally suck.

Thats a good thing. ?

It's the same as it has been for years.  People use to complain about them on Bills forums all the time only to get ridiculed that we were "crying about refs."  The difference now is that commentators are speaking up more, media is speaking up more, and other fans are speaking up more. Hell, even players are now speaking up more. The bad calls/no calls to me is the same crap we have been seeing around the league for years.  Just more publicity now.

The new rule allowing challenges on pass interference has been made into a travesty. Some of the calls that aren't reversed are downright ridiculous.

That said, there will always be mistakes, and that's why they have the replay system. Although I agree with others, they should do away with the challenges and just have a full time ref watch and stop whenever it's necessary like college does. If it's 5 times a game or one time a game, so be it. 

Then again, it doesn't help when a lineman blocks a guy for 5-6 seconds on a play, but the network keeps showing the same 1-2 second clip.

htf.jpg

On 10/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I'm not saying ignore egregious penalties, especially those that could injure a player, but common sense should factor into refereeing as to when a minor penalty should be called, and there should definitely be more of an effort made to get penalties right when they make a major impact on the outcome of a game, like a phantom hands to the face penalty that helps the other team convert on 3rd and long. 

nope, they can't add even more judgment calls on top of it

i believe that ticking fans off is as important as gambling to the sustaining of the NFL