Refs this year...opinion?

RU5781

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

At some point, Nantz and Romo were complaining about penalties on every play, but I agree with you.  It wasn't the refs' fault.  You might have argued with one call or another, but they were obviously bad calls.  They were the result of guys trying to make plays and committing fouls.  

As I said, I agree with about the fans.  And I agree about bad bounces.   That's the breaks of the game.   

But when officiating could be better and the league doesn't do anything about it, I do feel for the players.   I calculated once that true full-time refs, with real weekly training and real weekly evaluation, so that the refs would be as good as they could be and the worst officials were regularly removed the field, would cost about $30 million a year more than they pay for refs now.  That's $1 million per team.   These franchises are making $100 million a year, and they refuse to spend a tiny fraction of that money to minimize human error in the officiating.  

it's only half the year at most, this isn't a full time job requirement

fans are simply too biased and rabid in football, they don't accept that their weaker team is getting beat out there....

40 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lmao they haven’t been great! They have been rather awful! I mean awful like inconsistent.. if they had some sort of consistency coaches could go “ok they always call X let’s coach them up make sure they don’t do it”  same goes for consistently not calling something like say “illegal contact” on a CB.  Which was the case back in the early 2000.  That’s why Indy complained to the committee to get it unforced more moving forward. (No I don’t consider it cheating by a HC knowing how the refs call a game and using it to his advantage. Their is nothing stopping the other coach from doing the same thing.) 

I was being facetious in my post.  They're pretty terrible for multiple seasons, to the point where the NFL needs to get full time, trained refs that are held accountable for bad calls. 

The bolded part I agree with; it's actually very smart.  I know Belichick, and now Matt Patricia, do this.

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

couldn't of been said better by a patsie* fan.

the Bills for about 6-8 years with Kelly were a colossus of the AFC and fans still whined about the refs and mummy-daddy-mummy-daddy

17 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

couldn't of been said better by a patsie* fan.

you going senile, old-timer?

so bitter, it doesn't work for an old man

Just now, row_33 said:

the Bills for about 6-8 years with Kelly were a colossus of the AFC and fans still whined about the refs and mummy-daddy-mummy-daddy

like I said, a patsie fan, whether closet fan or not, couldn't of said it better.

as for the mummy/daddy comment. you're not as high on that pedestal as you may believe you are so it's real easy to overlook such a childish comment.

carry on pats* fan. 

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is blatantly untrue.  There were 3 straight calls against the NYJs on the drive - all of them correct.  Then there were 2 straight calls against Dallas, both of which were correct.  That put Dallas in a 1st and 27 and then Jamal Adams was overly aggressive and got a call against him.  

The calls were not bad calls and for the most part they were not even questionable.  I am not sure what the Refs are supposed to do - the Jets were all over the receiver long before the ball arrived.  Are they supposed to ignore it because they have flagged the other team already a couple of times.

I get it there are some very questionable calls, but try an suggest it was inappropriate to flag the Jets on that drive or they were trying to help the Cowboys - ignores logic and the fact that 2 of the calls went against Dallas.

How dare you spew all of that logic?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Agreed.  Fish rot from the head.

Solution:  make all plays reviewable, allow incorrect penalties (like the hands to the face calls on Detriot last night) to be overturned.

Or like this:   

This play completely pissed me off. The DB had his arms around the receiver! How is that not PI???

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's only half the year at most, this isn't a full time job requirement

fans are simply too biased and rabid in football, they don't accept that their weaker team is getting beat out there....

Baseball umpires are full-time with a big off-season.  Football should be no different.  Pay them $150,000-$200,000 a year, plus travel and benefits, you'll get plenty of guys looking for that job.  It just wouldn't be very hard to do.   

I mean, when a guy is a high school principal Monday through Friday, gets on a plane Friday night to fly to his NFL assignment, then has to fly home Sunday night to be at school the next morning, do you really believe he'll be as sharp calling games as a guy whose focus all week is on calling the games as well as he can?   

• Like (+1) 2

The most absurd thing is their refusal to overturn PI calls. What's the point of the replay system if they're just gonna let the play stand? I'm sure there's been a reversal or two, but I haven't seen it. Maybe a DB bodyslammed a receiver and they HAD to change the call.

Baseball replay is pretty much the same thing; very rarely are plays overturned.

They should really do away with the notion that the replay must show "indisputable" evidence that the call was incorrect. It gives the replay officials too much wiggle room. Even a jury trial doesn't require "indisputable" evidence. 

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

IDK, when we are winning I don't notice the refs that much. Hope it stays that way.. ?

THIS^^^

The Bills have been the benefactor of a few calls this year. (2 TD's called back and 4 missed FGs in TEN) We have won 4 games with a total point differential of +20. A few timely flags and this team is as likely to be 1-4 as it is 5-0 even though they are playing good football. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL should be ashamed.  I'm really surprised the players, a coach or fan haven't clocked a ref right on the field for their terrible job performance.  Players get job performance reports for every game and too many of these plays effect the out come of a game and their evaluation.   Really sad.