Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Agree entirely. What he also has in Lamar, unlike in Kaep and Taylor, is a QB who is NOT risk averse in the passing game. Granted, they haven’t had to rely on their pass game very much, but Jackson has shown he’s not afraid to chuck it and make a play. 

But like Kaep in SF, I’m not sure it’s a sustainable system. DCs will again make it a point to ignore the “mesh point” or “pitch” confusion and instruct their DLs and LBs to hit Jackson, regardless. It will take a toll eventually. It’s inevitable when your QB is taking an inordinate number of risks as a running back. 

Yes which follows my theory of Harbaugh/Roman simply using Jackson up on his rookie deal running that offense...if I was his agent I would be bolstering my claim to a long term deal NOW

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's more than likely true. We don't run Roman's read option and we don't have the oline for it. We don't have the TEs with pass catching ability. We don't have big wideouts blocking downfield. We don't have a hammer like Ingram/Edwards.

Jackson has over 2 game's worth of fewer pass attempts than Allen currently. He throws the ball at one of the lowest rates in the league. He's also got more rush attempts than some starting RBs. He is in a very, VERY particular offense in Baltimore and in all likelihood would be less successful than other QBs running more traditional schemes.

You make some good points but ultimately I disagree. We don't run a traditional scheme either. We run our fair share read option and RPO though not as much as Ravens. We scheme to get Allen out of the pocket as much as possible because he's way more effective there, just like Lamar. 

You're assuming that 1. our running game wouldn't look much better with Lamar in place of Allen, and 2. that Lamar would flounder with an increase in passing attempts. I don't think either of those assumptions are fair. 

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

It's been said several times in this thread, including by a mod, that Jackson wouldn't be anywhere close to what Allen is in Buffalo. "Nothing" is perhaps overstating it but so is what was actually said. 

Allen, while not perfect, has sat back in the pocket, gone through a complete progression of reads, and hit open receivers at the boundary. These are all things that Lamar is not asked to do on the regular, and does not do well when he is asked to do them. That's what is being stated. Lamar is not playing the same kind of football and while Josh is growing through his shortcomings, Lamar is simply ignoring/mitigating his by playing differently. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, and it's working so well that I'm not one to say it can't continue that way. But if you were to put Lamar in the offense that Josh is running it would be a very different Lamar situation.  

I don't get the need to tear down our entire team to build one guy up into something he isn't.

In this thread alone, our elite defense has been down played, our receivers have been described as some of the worst in the NFL, our tight ends have been described as useless players who can't catch, our line has been down played. 

Additionally, the soon to be MVP has been described by numerous people as a one trick pony who wouldn't be able to produce 21 ppg in our offense. As a rookie, he led the Ravens to over 29 points per game in his six games as the starter, but some how he wouldn't be able to come close 21 points if he played here. 

It's all so bizarre. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

You make some good points but ultimately I disagree. We don't run a traditional scheme either. We run our fair share read option and RPO though not as much as Ravens. We scheme to get Allen out of the pocket as much as possible because he's way more effective there, just like Lamar. 

You're assuming that 1. our running game wouldn't look much better with Lamar in place of Allen, and 2. that Lamar would flounder with an increase in passing attempts. I don't think either of those assumptions are fair. 

We certainly do NOT scheme Allen out of the pocket as much as possible. They are actually trying to turn him into a pocket passer...have you not noticed how much presnap responsibility he has assumed this yr? 

And the assumption that Jackson would flounder w an increase in pass attempts is a pretty safe one imo. He is not a good passer of the football; in Romans scheme right now he is an efficient one. Big difference.

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Agree entirely. What he also has in Lamar, unlike in Kaep and Taylor, is a QB who is NOT risk averse in the passing game. Granted, they haven’t had to rely on their pass game very much, but Jackson has shown he’s not afraid to chuck it and make a play. 

But like Kaep in SF, I’m not sure it’s a sustainable system. DCs will again make it a point to ignore the “mesh point” or “pitch” confusion and instruct their DLs and LBs to hit Jackson, regardless. It will take a toll eventually. It’s inevitable when your QB is taking an inordinate number of risks as a running back. 

Not saying you are comparing them here, but Allen has missed more games than Jackson.  Jackson hasn’t missed a game yet but I do understand the running makes it riskier.  

for both Allen and Jackson to be long term answers, they both need to less reliant on running. Russell Wilson has done a great job of that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't get the need to tear down our entire team to build one guy up into something he isn't.

In this thread alone, our elite defense has been down played, our receivers have been described as some of the worst in the NFL, our tight ends have been described as useless players who can't catch, our line has been down played. 

Additionally, the soon to be MVP has been described by numerous people as a one trick pony who wouldn't be able to produce 21 ppg in our offense. As a rookie, he led the Ravens to over 29 points per game in his six games as the starter, but some how he wouldn't be able to come close 21 points if he played here. 

It's all so bizarre. 

When it doubt and cornered by good arguments, crack open a nice cold straw man, kick your feet back and get busy movin them goal posts. #trollcode

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, GoBills808 said:

We certainly do NOT scheme Allen out of the pocket as much as possible. They are actually trying to turn him into a pocket passer...have you not noticed how much presnap responsibility he has assumed this yr? 

And the assumption that Jackson would flounder w an increase in pass attempts is a pretty safe one imo. He is not a good passer of the football; in Romans scheme right now he is an efficient one. Big difference.

I'm sorry but Josh Allen isn't a good passer of the football.

32nd in completion percentage, 25th in YPA, 23rd in QB Rating, 28th in QBR, 28th in DYAR, 28th in DVAO. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

When it doubt and cornered by good arguments, crack open a nice cold straw man, kick your feet back and get busy movin them goal posts. #trollcode

The goal posts haven't been moved.

All of these things have been repeated throughout this thread. 

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

That may be true, but there is little to no similarity in the blocking schemes employed and that makes all the difference. As I mentioned previously, Roman uses BOTH zone concepts as well as man concepts during the course of a series and game. Other teams, like us for instance, simply don’t do that because of the sheer physical traits required in an O lineman to do so effectively on a play by play basis. That might be the most confusing challenge Roman offers up to a defense, too. 

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The goal posts haven't been moved.

All of these things have been repeated throughout this thread. 

Yes. They have. Nobody is tearing down our team. We're saying that compared to the SB favorites, we have less talent on offense. Between that and the fact that the offensive scheme is completely different, Lamar would play very differently here. 

It's facts. You're too stuck in your pre-draft bias to see it, and you're outnumbered 8000 to 1. Even the people who are sorta agreeing with some of your points are hedging themselves and not buying all in on your Allen hate because it's deranged. So my question is this... How did Allen hurt you? Did you have a puppy that he accidentally ran over? Did you catch him kissing your mom under the mistletoe? Did he steal your lunch money in third grade? It's okay... You can recover from whatever it is. It starts by not being a troll. That's the first step to recovery. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Yes. They have. Nobody is tearing down our team. We're saying that compared to the SB favorites, we have less talent on offense. Between that and the fact that the offensive scheme is completely different, Lamar would play very differently here. 

It's facts. You're too stuck in your pre-draft bias to see it, and you're outnumbered 8000 to 1. Even the people who are sorta agreeing with some of your points are hedging themselves and not buying all in on your Allen hate because it's deranged. So my question is this... How did Allen hurt you? Did you have a puppy that he accidentally ran over? Did you catch him kissing your mom under the mistletoe? Did he steal your lunch money in third grade? It's okay... You can recover from whatever it is. It starts by not being a troll. That's the first step to recovery. 

You clearly don't understand what the word "fact" means. You keep confusing facts with your personal opinions. 

The Bills are 10-4 and have clinched a playoff spot in week 15. The only reason we're not considered Super Bowl contenders because our offense is so poor. 

22 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's all so bizarre. 

When you mischaracterize everyone's opinions in that way it sure is.

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You clearly don't understand what the word "fact" means. You keep confusing facts with your personal opinions. 

The Bills are 10-4 and have clinched a playoff spot in week 15. The only reason we're not considered Super Bowl contenders because our offense is so poor. 

You are what everyone's mama ever warned them about... 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

What about Russell Wilson?

Why ignore the success and longevity he's had?

What about Russel Wilson?  He plays in a completely different offense then Jackson does.  If anything Wilson's use of the run, even as a young player, is far closer to Allen's style then Jackson's.  Do you actually watch the Ravens play offense?  It is a truly unique platform in what they ask their QB to do.

Oh and for the record, Wilson is a prime example of how a smart QB runs.  Allen needs to learn from what Wilson does.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

It's been said several times in this thread, including by a mod, that Jackson wouldn't be anywhere close to what Allen is in Buffalo. "Nothing" is perhaps overstating it but so is what was actually said. 

But that's not the same thing as what you're saying.  I'm one of those convinced that Jackson would not do as well as Allen in the Buffalo offensive system with the Bills current group of players. 

To be fair it's an almost impossible question to answer because the Ravens are running such a unique offense.  But when you look at Jackson's passing game, which is primarily short & intermediate throws to his TE's in the middle of the field with an occasional over the top throw, you see the classic passing success you get against teams geared up to stop a dangerous running game.

When Jackson throws to the sideline his accuracy drops significantly.  Jackson's reads are complex but do not focus solely on the passing options.  He reads the run first to decide whether he keeps the ball or hands it off to the RB.  If neither is open he progresses to making a pass read which usually involves a RB or TE on a shallow cross across the middle.  He is not often asked to read the entire field in the Ravens passing attack.  In most conventional spread offenses he would be asked to read the field and get the ball to the open spot.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/17/2019 at 7:33 AM, jrober38 said:

No, I'm saying if you have a great defense and a QB who is bottom 10 in practically every passing category, they deserve little credit.

I think Josh is a bottom 10 QB in the NFL right now. If that continues for another year or two we should be looking for someone new. Hopefully he improves and ranks in the top half of the league next year. 

Where do you think he should rank? Top half? Top 10?

Does Allen deserve credit for the 5 games the Bills won where he led a game winning drive in the 4th quarter?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes which follows my theory of Harbaugh/Roman simply using Jackson up on his rookie deal running that offense...if I was his agent I would be bolstering my claim to a long term deal NOW

If I were Jackson, given his style, I would hold out in the off season for a big deal.  His style is going to get him hurt, 100% injury rate in the NFL, his style magnifies it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

If I were Jackson, given his style, I would hold out in the off season for a big deal.  His style is going to get him hurt, 100% injury rate in the NFL, his style magnifies it.

Not a bad idea at all, but if I'm not mistaken, they can't even negotiate a new deal until the end of next year? Something about three accrued seasons? I think Wentz got paid as early as is possible. It would be nice for him as his value is at an all time high (especially if they win the SB), but alas.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Why do you think his receivers are wide open?

Daboll schemes guys open.

Sometimes they drop it.

Sometimes Allen misses them by 5 or more yards. 

The NextGenStats for separation and expected completion percentage do not support any of these opinions.

How about that Brown in Baltimore with Lamar vs Brown in Buffalo with Allen comparison? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen is 15-10 as a starter in the NFL at the grand old age of 23.............

working with NINE new starters on offense.........

coming from a college where he had to carry the state of Wyoming on his back (this isn’t E.J. Manuel where he had talent galore around him)....

Allen receivers have been at or near the top of the highest drop rate in the NFL............

was supposed to be redshirted as a rookie..........

has either had bad or inconsistent OL’s since being here (even though the line is getting better  and has really good potential).........

Shall I go on?

We ALL KNOW that Allen needs work and is hardly a finished product, but if you don’t see the finish line with Allen, I don’t know what to tell you.

By the way, how is the chosen one Baker Mayfield doing with all that world class around him as compared to Allen?

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The NextGenStats for separation and expected completion percentage do not support any of these opinions.

How about that Brown in Baltimore with Lamar vs Brown in Buffalo with Allen comparison? 

Or even direct comparison: Allen vs Jackson against Pitt defense? 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Does Allen deserve credit for the 5 games the Bills won where he led a game winning drive in the 4th quarter?

Of course he doesn't. Haven't you been paying attention? If Allen hadn't been such an awful QB in those games, the team wouldn't have been in a position to need game winning drives. The fact that he actually came through on all those game winning drives is irrelevant...

So I'm told....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I do in fact think he is worthy of some benefit there! He might have had another if not for a dirty hit at the end of the Cheaters* game. 

EDIT: BTW, I hope the league does something to close that loophole in the offseason. A dirty head shot like Josh took at the end of that game should not be equally offset by something minor like an illegal formation. I haven’t given it much thought and don’t have an answer, but there MUST be a better way to handle that.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I do in fact think he is worthy of some benefit there! He might have had another if not for a dirty hit at the end of the Cheaters* game. 

and another if the D held on in Cleveland after he led them down on a game winning drive....or if our kicker made a FG after he lead them on a second last/minute drive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

and another if the D held on in Cleveland after he led them down on a game winning drive....or if our kicker made a FG after he lead them on a second last/minute drive.

Josh is far from perfect or a finished product, but he’s got something you absolutely want in your QB: he does NOT shrink in the big moments. In fact, that’s where he thrives, and you have to love that!

Now, if he could just clean up the other stuff.....

• Like (+1) 1

There was a baseball player named Chuck  Knoblauch who played 2nd base for the Twins and Yankees. There was a point in his career where he could not make a simple throw to first base. Total mental block. He threw in the general direction and hoped. I think that's where Josh's head is at on the deep ball. A deep ball is a bomb with air under it ,not the laser deeps he hits with Brown coming back to the ball. Needs intensive therapy.

6 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Four people just said they wouldn't trade Josh Allen for the NFL MVP.

Complete insanity. 

Make that 5.  I would not either.  Roman has made all his QBs look decent to great running the same *****.  They get figured out eventually.  Then what does Lamar have if he can't read one guy on defense and throw to busted coverage anymore?  Look, maybe Lamar will be great forever.  You are already calling him elite.  People did the same ***** for Kaepernick.  It's one year and means nothing thus far.  Allen, imo, will end up being the better pocket passer over the long hall.  He is being trained that way.  Lamar is being trained to read one guy.  That doesn't have much longevity in the NFL.  He would not do well here because our team wouldn't have built for that. They have barely built for Allen.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:24 AM, VW82 said:

Here's the thing: I think many of the narratives surrounding Josh have been correct.

He was extremely raw coming into the league, and too raw to win with last year. 

He did have a tendency to make poor throws at a rate well above other QBs. You're saying 1 out of 25. Last year it was 1 in 4 according to pro football reference. The next closest guy was Rosen at 1 in 5. Average was around 16-17%. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing_advanced.htm

I disagree.

I watched every single pass of Allen after the season was over along with every single pass made in the rookie seasons of Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Wentz, and Watson.

Josh was no less accurate on the whole than any of those other rookies after tracking all those passes.

He frequently takes too long to read a defense. Collinsworth said he's last in the league in time to throw. Some sites have him bottom 10 depending on how they account for things like sacks and throwaways.

This, right here, is Allen's BIGGEST problem.  And it was his rookie year, as well.

It's not accuracy.

It's making the right reads and processing time.

That was his biggest weakness his rookie year.  He drastically improved in that over the offseason, but he still has plenty of room to grow.

He is improving. The national media types for the most part are acknowledging this. They're saying the same stuff you're saying e.g. 4th quarter comebacks, GWDs, timely throws, makes plays with his feet, etc. I feel like some posters on here bend over backwards to find the most negative view that still exists and latch onto that in some kind of weird inferiority complex. IMO very few NFL media, fans, etc., still think he outright sucks. They think he's about what the numbers say he is: a second year player who's getting better but not quite there yet, clutch player, someone you can win with on the right team, etc. 

As for the SNF broadcast, I thought they called the game based on the way it was played. Josh was unfortunately a little inaccurate on some throws (some more than others) and our receivers did everything they could to make those throws look worse than they were. Why are we expecting Michaels and Collinsworth to gush about 139 yards passing, a pick, drops, and some sloppy ball protection? Josh is a second year player who's still figuring it out. He hasn't earned that praise yet. You mention Mahomes. That guy won MVP. He gets the accolades because his team wins games of the back of his huge production. We win games in large part because of the strength of our defense, and so that's what they focused on.      

Josh was wildly inaccurate on a single throw and Collinsworth literally pointed to it in the broadcast in something like a "see, this is what I'm talking about" moment.

It was a little ridiculous.

He gushed over the defense, especially Edmunds, which I thought was weird because up until the last few games, Edmunds has been a little underwhelming.  I mean, it was hilarious because they actually replayed a play where Edmunds made a tackle and were raving about him on a play where he allowed a guy to get a 1st down.

Maybe they do their HW for our next SNF game, but I was really disappointed in the broadcast.

23 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Wins are a team stat.

I like that the Bills are winning. I think our QB has contributed very little to us winning that most NFL QBs couldn't replicate or improve upon. 

I think there are at least 20 NFL QBs who would have allowed this team to go at least 10-4 so far. 

Again, you're wrong.

Allen is tied for the league lead with Russell Wilson in 4th Quarter Comebacks this year (4) and Game Winning Drives (5)

That's one investment strategy. Another is to take the sure thing and bank the dividends every year. 

Do you think the Ravens would have 12 guys in the Pro Bowl if they weren't 12-2 and the leading scoring offense in the NFL?

Do you think Lamar made all 12 of those guys?  If so then you are the loonie around here.

I disagree.

I think Brown is a very good receiver and Beasley is fine in the slot.

Brown is way better than anything the Ravens have.

The Ravens let him walk why?  Probably because he doesn't fit what they are trying to do there.

22 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I think the following QBs would all have equalled or out produced the points production we've produced this year in our offense with this defense and special teams supporting them. I think we'd be 10-4 if you swapped any of them with Allen into this 53 man roster. 

Jackson, Brees, Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Garoppolo, Cousins, Prescott, Ryan, Stafford, Brady, Tannehill, Wentz, Murray, Roethlisberger, Brissett, Mayfield, Bridgewater, Rivers.

I think Daniel Jones, Darnold and Jameis Winston (his turnovers wouldn't matter because our defense is so good) would all be close.  

What an absolute joke.  With the Bills OC, OL, WRs, TEs and RBs you think all those QBs would be able to mimic what Allen did this year?

SOOOOOOOOOO many QBs we could pick apart as to why they would almost certainly not be able to operate under the circumstances of the Buffalo offense (Cousins :lol:, Prescott :lol:, Ryan :lol:, Tannehill :lol:, Brissett :lol:, Mayfield  :lol:, Rivers :lol:, Jones :lol:, Winston :lol:) that it's just so friggin ridiculous to go through.

Are you seriously this lost?

Seriously?

Put those dome guys like Cousins and Prescott and Brissett (pfft!!!!) on Buffalo and see how they do.

Put those statues like Ryan and Rivers on Buffalo and see how they do behind this OL.

Give any of those guys Buffalo's WR corps and TEs and see how they do.

My dear lord.  Some of those guys you listed could very well be better, but you're just delusional at this point.

Or trolling...

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, VW82 said:

Arguing that Lamar would be nothing without Roman or Baltimore's play makers, line, etc., is just dumb. Was Michael Vick just a product of Atlanta's system too? Guys on that level are special enough that they're going to find a way in most places unless you're actively trying to undermine them by putting them in a system that prioritizes their weaknesses. We're not doing that for Josh. Why would we do that for Lamar?  

Who is arguing that Lamar would be “nothing”?

The point has been made that 1) he likely would not be having his current level of league-on-fire success without them and 2) if he were being asked to operate in the offense Allen is being asked to operate in, with the same tools, he might not be having even as good success as Allen is (I happen to think he would not).  He would still be a very promising young QB, but a lot of what he is achieving is helped by having the tools he has - the big zip-code-radius TE who can also pancake block, the 1-2 punch at RB, etc etc.

I wouldn’t say we’re putting Allen in a system that *prioritizes* his weaknesses, but we are asking him to operate in an offensive system that represents a, how to put it - “growth opportunity” for him, he has limited tools, and we’ve been slow to introduce plays that work to his best strengths.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Why do you think his receivers are wide open?

Daboll schemes guys open.

Sometimes they drop it.

Sometimes Allen misses them by 5 or more yards. 

His guys are wide open because they are too worried about Jackson taking off with the football on top of the excellent run game they already have even without him.  That moves defenders out of the way.  

Daboll schemes guys that get open by a step.  Around the league guys are in busted freaking coverage.  Half of Jacksons yards against the Bills happened on ONE play because of busted coverage.  That happens all game for him by weaker defenses that cant pull off the what we can.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jrober38 said:

This is maybe the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a long time. It is a perfect example of the rampant homerism some people have on this board when defending Josh Allen.

To suggest that Lamar Jackson, the front runner for MVP, wouldn't be able to replicate what Josh Allen, who is in the bottom 10 of most QB stat categories, is beyond absurd.  

Your reasoning seriously just utterly lack context?

Do you think, honestly, that Jackson would be doing what he's doing outside of Roman's offense?  Without Mark Ingram?  Without his OL which consists of 2 pro bowlers?  Without a Head Coach who has absolutely invested in him?

Lamar Jackson is fantastic this year, but put him on Buffalo and I would say it's absolute stupidity to believe he would come even close to replicating what he's doing in Baltimore with this OC and these weapons.

The reason no one can have a reasonable conversation with you regarding this subject is because you clearly believe any QB play is an apples to apples comparison from one team and one offense to another.

It's baffling and head scratching that you're still here even arguing this.  Isn't there a Patriots message board where you can go cheer for your team or something?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I’m pretty sure that there are strict limitations under the CBA on when a team can offer a rookie an improved deal, and how much of an improvement it can be.

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

How tall are the Ravens top receivers?

Hint: they're the same size as our guys.

Poor take.

They let Brown walk in March when free agency opened. 

They draft was roughly two months later.

Letting Brown, or any free agent, walk was a business decision.

It's not like they just swapped players. A lot had to happen for Marquise Brown to wind up their draft pick. 

5'9", 5'11", 6'2"

5'8", 5'11", 5'8"

• Like (+1) 1