Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

Just now, jrober38 said:

This is maybe the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a long time. It is a perfect example of the rampant homerism some people have on this board when defending Josh Allen.

To suggest that Lamar Jackson, the front runner for MVP, wouldn't be able to replicate what Josh Allen, who is in the bottom 10 of most QB stat categories, is beyond absurd. 

Unbelievable. 

It's completely believable, and that you respond this way perfectly illustrates the gaps in your football understanding.

Lamar is a great player, no doubt.  But he is generating the MVP numbers he's generating because he being coached in a way and playing in a system that is perfectly tailored to him.   He has it all around him - 3 TE who are great pass catchers and run blockers, a 1st round WR who looks worthy of that, a couple other good WR, an RB who is at the cusp of his career and another very solid one, a very physical OL that excels at both pass and run blocking, AND an OC who is probably one of the best run play designers the NFL has ever seen and the best today at designing an offense for a dual threat QB.

If you think he would match Allen behind our OL which is NOT all that at pass protection (yet), throwing to Dawson "20% drops" Knox, Tyler "Invisible man" Kroft, Cole "whoopsie!" Beasley, and John Brown, and with the run production we've seen from our RBs this year given Singletary's injury and Gore's fall-off, and with an OC who is asking a 2nd year QB to perform in a very very complex and nuanced EP offense ......yes, I think there's something absurd here, but it isn't me.  The best I can give it is "very questionable to occur".

Elsewhere you comment that the Bills need to draft two WR, and you pay lip service to the fact that Football is a team sport (with a shot that others might not), but the above shows that in a very fundamental way, you actually neither believe nor understand that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's completely believable, and that you respond this way perfectly illustrates the gaps in your football understanding.

Lamar is a great player, no doubt.  But he is generating the MVP numbers he's generating because he being coached in a way and playing in a system that is perfectly tailored to him.   He has it all around him - 3 TE who are great pass catchers and run blockers, a 1st round WR who looks worthy of that, a couple other good WR, an RB who is at the cusp of his career and another very solid one, a very physical OL that excels at both pass and run blocking, AND an OC who is probably one of the best run play designers the NFL has ever seen and the best today at designing an offense for a dual threat QB.

If you think he would match Allen behind our OL which is NOT all that at pass protection (yet), throwing to Dawson "20% drops" Knox, Tyler "Invisible man" Kroft, Cole "whoopsie!" Beasley, and John Brown, and with the run production we've seen from our RBs this year given Singletary's injury and Gore's fall-off, and with an OC who is asking a 2nd year QB to perform in a very very complex and nuanced EP offense ......yes, I think there's something absurd here, but it isn't me.  The best I can give it is "very questionable to occur".

Elsewhere you comment that the Bills need to draft two WR, and you pay lip service to the fact that Football is a team sport (with a shot that others might not), but the above shows that in a very fundamental way, you actually neither believe nor understand that.

As I said, the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

To think we wouldn't play to Jackson's strengths if we had him is hilarious.

To think he's not a clear cut upgrade over Josh Allen is beyond hysterical.

He'd make everyone in our offense better, because he's an elite quarterback.

He's a better thrower and he's a better runner, and neither are close.

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think we wouldn't play to Jackson's strengths because for much of the season we haven't played to Allen's strengths.  It's very clear if you watch the games carefully.  We wanted him to develop as a pocket passer.  It wasn't until he took a clear step as a pocket passer (clear to people who look past the score at the end of the game and the completion %) that we started putting back some plays that better suit his skills and giving him the green light to run.

Some of Jackson's passing skills are better, but he's also bailed out a lot by elite TE who can catch balls that sail and who go down for balls.  He makes his living passing over the middle.  He is not as good of a passer as Allen on those sideline throws.  We don't have the pieces for that here.  You acknowledge as much yourself elsewhere.  It shows in that we're leading the league in drops, a conservative stat that does not track "balls elite targets around the league hold on to"

Jackson is truly a far, far better runner than Allen - a "generational talent at RB", but his elite RB skills play best in the style of offense he's running.  We lack the hosses and the system.  You also acknowledge this above - our linemen are not mobile enough.  In addition, as previously noted, our best pass catching threat TE is not the run blocker Jackson's TE are.  Singletary may emerge as a great RB, but he's not there yet, and a lot of Jackson's yards are facilitated by the need to defend the "two headed hydra" of Ingram/Edwards or Jackson.

I'm up in the air about whether you're a Sky-Diver class Troll or actually believe what you say.  Either way, I think it's crystal clear at this point that you can't acknowledge a point (even one you've yourself made elsewhere) and aren't actually interested in discussion, so I'm outta here.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm sure the ravens are always looking for another fan, I mean since our buffalo bills QB is not good enough for you. one thing is certain if you were to become a ravens fan it would at least save the board from your love for another teams QB with these hot takes and all the while putting down our QB.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is maybe the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a long time. It is a perfect example of the rampant homerism some people have on this board when defending Josh Allen.

To suggest that Lamar Jackson, the front runner for MVP, wouldn't be able to replicate what Josh Allen, who is in the bottom 10 of most QB stat categories, is beyond absurd.  

Those 12 pro bowlers on the Ravens aren’t helping him right ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we wouldn't play to Jackson's strengths because for much of the season we haven't played to Allen's strengths.  It's very clear if you watch the games carefully.  We wanted him to develop as a pocket passer.  It wasn't until he took a clear step as a pocket passer that we started putting back some plays that better suit his skills.

But I think it's pretty clear that you can't acknowledge a point and aren't actually interested in discussion, so I'm outta here. 

Of course you would think that, BECAUSE YOU'RE A JOSH ALLEN HOMER.

You go to extreme lengths to justify Allen doing a good job, even if it means slandering the NFL's offensive MVP this year. 

The Bills literally use Josh Allen as our goal line running back and have used him on designed QB runs numerous times this season, but we're not playing to his strengths. Gimme a break. 

You think Josh Allen is a better player than Lamar Jackson. Lunacy. 

@CincyBillsFan this is what I was talking about yesterday. 

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm sure the ravens are always looking for another fan, I mean since our buffalo bills QB is not good enough for you. one thing is certain if you were to become a ravens fan it would at least save the board from your love for another teams QB with these hot takes and all the while putting down our QB.

Weak.

I argue with someone who wants to claim Josh Allen is better than the supposed NFL MVP and your response is for me to go cheer for another team? No thanks.

Would you trade Josh Allen for Lamar Jackson? Apparently that's a serious question.

12 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I guarantee you Josh Allen has the longer better career than Lamar Jackson!

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Weak.

I argue with someone who wants to claim Josh Allen is better than the supposed NFL MVP and your response is for me to go cheer for another team? No thanks.

Would you trade Josh Allen for Lamar Jackson? Apparently that's a serious question.

Do not misrepresent what someone has said so severely in argument here.  That is disruptive behavior.

The specific claim being discussed  was that Jackson would do as well or better than Allen, IF HE WERE DROPPED INTO OUR OFFENSE WITH OUR CURRENT PLAYERS.

To twist that into that "someone wants to claim Josh Allen is better than the supposed NFL MVP" IN the pro-bowl offense tailored to his skills where he's done his MVP thing, is disingenuous in the extreme.  No one is claiming that.

Do not do so again.  If you feel you can support that claim, Stand and Deliver by quoting the relevant posts,  right here and now, and IN CONTEXT.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

no, I'm a bills fan first. fan of the team and organization for more the 45 years and since JA is a part of the team, I'm also a fan of his. yes, I have been critical at times of him but I understand he's a 2nd year QB still in development and will get better.

one thing you wont find me doing is getting on my knees in praise of another teams QB all the while putting my teams QB down. 

I don't like you at all, and it's fortunate for me I just leave it at that rather then risk a weeks vacation because frankly, you are not worth it.

enjoy your time on your knees praising the ravens QB, you look so good at doing it.

:worthy:

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

no, I'm a bills fan first. fan of the team and organization for more the 45 years and since JA is a part of the team, I'm also a fan of his. yes, I have been critical at times of him but I understand he's a 2nd year QB still in development and will get better.

one thing you wont find me doing is getting on my knees in praise of another teams QB all the while putting my teams QB down. 

I don't like you at all, and it's fortunate for me I just leave it at that rather then risk a weeks vacation because frankly, you are not worth it.

enjoy your time on your knees praising the ravens QB, you look so good at doing it.

:worthy:

He forgot to praise Lamar when the Chargers held him to 60 yards passing in a playoff game until garbage time 

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, jrober38 said:

To me, the notion of carrying a team means you're picking up a ton of slack for other people not playing well.

It's a high standard I have.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Josh. He played great against Dallas, but so did our defense.

Look at the way you phrase things you paint your self into a negative Nancy.  Always finding a way to critique and down play when a player does well.  But then hammer them when they play below your expectations regardless if the team won.  How did Watson do carrying his team to a win vs the drubbing of the Broncos.  How has Wentz done carrying his team to wins this year.  ?How about Prescott.  There are so many more to throw in that same line.  

I'm guessing your a younger person and fall into this I need rewarded now mentality.  You have no patience for development and thank every player should be Mahomes.  

Every stat of Allen passing has moved in the upward direction and yet here comes jrober with the negative tone.  

I'm surprised to see the leaps in his numbers and still think he is trending up.  Can't wait to see what next year holds for him.  

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

no, I would not.

Trading Josh Allen for Lamar Jackson is a question the Bills already answered.  Jackson was on the board when they traded up for Allen.

If they wanted to tailor an offense for Jackson's unique skills instead of taking a QB they hope they can develop as a more conventional pocket passer, the Bills would have stood pat and drafted Jackson then.   All the fantastic things Jackson is doing with the Ravens, were skills he demonstrated in college.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

no, I would not.

I would also not trade Allen for Jackson. Allen is a better passer than Jackson, Jackson is schemed for success (and great on the Ravens for doing that). Allen can make all of the NFL throws, Jackson can not (count how many 10 yard outs he has completed, or any throw to the outside for that matter). He has lived with easy completions, and good for him and them. He has played OUT OF THIS WORLD this year. I don't think it continues. Ill take Allen's progression over Jacksons flash in the pan. I just think thats how it will work out.

I think Josh has the potential to develop into a regular top 3 QB in this league, AND has insane mobility, which many other QBs dont have. Ill take that potential all day. 

(I was also a HUGE Jackson advocate coming out of college. Thought he would make a really good NFL quarterback. Still think he will, but he wont be this MVP caliber every year.)

I liken this debate to who would you rather have, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. For me, its easily Peyton Manning. Reason being, you could put Peyton Manning on any team in history and he will find a way to make everyone better in a season. He was his own offensive coordinator, could make every throw, and was a brilliant QB. Tom Brady's success came because of ability for sure, but mostly due to perfect time in the perfect situation. 

My opinon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Here’s the thing.  You’re arguing with someone who specifically stated he only shows up after losses because there’s nothing to say after wins.  Why would a purported fan of the team do that?    So it’s surprising he’s saying anything this week.  You’re arguing with someone who would have traded an entire draft for Jameis Winston, and now says he’d be as good as Allen even given his picks.  You’re arguing with a guy who seems to think he’s a QB expert and stats expert but shows no evidence of either.

In short, it’s not worth arguing with someone bereft of logic.

I also get sick of the stuff from more than a few people about how Allen hasn’t put the team on his back or that he couldn’t carry them to a win.  First, these folks need to look up the definition of the word team.  Second, it would be pretty damn dumb to not rely on the kind of quality defense we have.  Third, Allen is among the leaders if not the leader in fourth quarter comebacks so to say he can’t put the team on his back is absurd in its face.

Finally, no one- let me reap at no one- believes Allen is a finished product.  I’ll say agin:  no one.  And the implication people are saying so is crap.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Four people just said they wouldn't trade Josh Allen for the NFL MVP.

Complete insanity. 

I bet you thought it would be insane if Seahawks fans wouldn't have traded for RG3 after week 15 of his first season.

Four people just said they wouldn't trade Josh Allen for the NFL MVP.

Complete insanity. 

That doesn't address the issue as to whether you just severely misrepresented the viewpoint and subject being discussed upthread.  Can you "stand and deliver" and justify your representation, or is that a "No, Whoopsie!"?  If no responsive answer on this third try,  we'll take it as "No, Whoopsie, Me Bad!"

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

More insane than sincerely believing that 20 QBs would have more TDs for this team than the guy that has the 6th most among QBs?

?

Should I add you to the list?

Are you another who wouldn't trade away Josh Allen for Lamar Jackson?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That doesn't address the issue as to whether you just severely misrepresented the viewpoint and subject being discussed upthread.  Can you "stand and deliver" and justify your representation, or is that a "No, Whoopsie!"?  If no responsive answer on this third try,  we'll take it as "No, Whoopsie, Me Bad!"

I didn't misrepresent anything.

You seem to think Allen is a better player than Lamar Jackson and have gone to great lengths to make up excuses for why you think that's true. 

Jackson is a better passer and a better runner than Allen. It makes zero sense to think we wouldn't be scoring more points with a better QB under centre. 

Edited by jrober38

42 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You go to extreme lengths to justify Allen doing a good job, even if it means slandering the NFL's offensive MVP this year. 

The Bills literally use Josh Allen as our goal line running back and have used him on designed QB runs numerous times this season, but we're not playing to his strengths. Gimme a break. 

You think Josh Allen is a better player than Lamar Jackson. Lunacy. 

@CincyBillsFan this is what I was talking about yesterday. 

This is simply just not true. I created a thread about having my crow over Lamar Jackson and Hapless slandered him in no way in any of his responses. I think we can all agree that the system Lamar finds himself in is perfectly tailored to his skillset by Greg Roman. Go back through and read his responses. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You seem to think Allen is a better player than Lamar Jackson and have gone to great lengths to make up excuses for why you think that's true. 

Jackson is a better passer and a better runner than Allen. It makes zero sense to think we wouldn't be scoring more points with a better QB under centre. 

I have said from the beginning that I like both players.

So yeah, go ahead and add me...while you're at it, add 99% of this board to the list of people that believe your football opinions are tantamount to lunacy 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Jackson is a better passer and a better runner than Allen. It makes zero sense to think we wouldn't be scoring more points with a better QB under centre

Wait a minute?  Are you from Canuckistan?

6 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

@jrober38 Add me to your super secret probation list. I think Allen will end up with a longer, more successful career than Jackson. That's while acknowledging that Jackson has been incredible this year.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Go yeah, go ahead and add me...while you're at it, add 99% of this board to the list of people that believe your football opinions are tantamount to lunacy 

39 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

no, I would not.

29 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I would also not trade Allen for Jackson.

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Neither would I. I believe in three years, this will be apparent to EVERYONE.

Are there any QBs in the NFL you would trade Allen for?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around your choice. 

Like if not the NFL MVP, does anyone make the cut?

Are there any QBs in the NFL you would trade Allen for?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around your choice. 

Like if not the NFL MVP, does anyone make the cut?

Wake up man.

2 years into Brady's career you'd have traded him for Favre...and you'd have been proven an idiot for doing so.

When you've got a kid that looks like he can win long-term, you don't trade him away, you build around him.

That you miss the forest for the trees on every Allen-related discussion is not a surprise. You're waaaaaaaay too invested in being right about him. A bit of friendly advice: let it go. Your evaluation was wrong. You can move on and gain back a lot of credibility if you stop trying so hard to plead your case.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You said " I argue with someone who wants to claim Josh Allen is better than the supposed NFL MVP and your response is for me to go cheer for another team? No thanks. "

Stand and deliver: present the claim where someone has said the above. 

People have said they wouldn't trade Allen for Lamar Jackson. 

People have pointed out that Allen's potential as a pocket passer may differ, and that Lamar Jackson has so far demonstrated he's better in a specific offensive system that is tailored to him and with strong skill players supporting him.

Those are not the same claim.  No one I have seen is arguing that Josh Allen has been better than Lamar Jackson as a QB of their respective teams, this year.