Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That would put him at almost 89% completion rate. Show me who that QB is against the best pass defense in the NFL.  Really he only needed 1 more completion.  That doesn't mean he is the reason we lost though.  Imagine a defense that could get off the field and give your offense more opportunities with the ball.  Imagine an oline that doesn't allow jail break rushers at your QB even when they aren't blitzing.  Imagine a run game that was effective.  Imagine not running the ball 6 straight times when you start in FG position.  Imagine not running the ball 3 straight times after scoring a huge TD on the drive before hand.  Imagine an OC that isn't predictable on everything he does. 

There is ton of blame to go around.  The easiest one to blame is a guy that missed a few passes.

I take your points, I do, but QB is still the most important position on your team.

Show me an OC who gets criticism when their QB is playing well.

The defence was disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I take your points, I do, but QB is still the most important position on your team.

Show me an OC who gets criticism when their QB is playing well.

The defence was disappointing. 

Ill raise you... show me a QB that plays well behind a crappy OC. :)

Both Watson and Prescott are playing well.  They get criticized no?

The difference in Goff between their head coach now and their former head coach is night and day even if their team didn't do so well this year.

How about Lamar Jackson who made huge strides after promoting Roman?

Edited by Scott7975

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That would put him at almost 89% completion rate. Show me who that QB is against the best pass defense in the NFL.  Really he only needed 1 more completion.  That doesn't mean he is the reason we lost though.  Imagine a defense that could get off the field and give your offense more opportunities with the ball.  Imagine an oline that doesn't allow jail break rushers at your QB even when they aren't blitzing.  Imagine a run game that was effective.  Imagine not running the ball 5 straight times when you start in FG position.  Imagine not running the ball 3 straight times after scoring a huge TD on the drive before hand.  Imagine an OC that isn't predictable on everything he does. 

There is ton of blame to go around.  The easiest one to blame is a guy that missed a few passes.  I don't understand why some people always have to find that ONE person to blame.  Oh wait, I do.  Its because they hate Allen.

You make an interesting criticism of my  point about 10 more completions being 89 percentage, then finish the post eluding to the fact that I and others hate Allen because we are critical. 

I love allen but I am really disappointed with some of his play. 

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

You make an interesting criticism of my  point about 10 more completions being 89 percentage, then finish the post eluding to the fact that I and others hate Allen because we are critical. 

I love allen but I am really disappointed with some of his play. 

Sorry... I wasn't inferring that YOU personally hate Allen.  It was a general statement.  There are definitely some haters on this board and out there in the media as well.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Ill raise you... show me a QB that plays well behind a crappy OC. :)

Both Watson and Prescott are playing well.  They get criticized no?

The difference in Goff between their head coach now and their former head coach is night and day even if their team didn't do so well this year.

So you think Daboll is the issue generally as opposed to Allen?

If that's so then you might be right.

When there are open receivers on shorter throws and the QB doesn't hit them and throws inaccurately I find it hard then to put that blame on Daboll as he has schemed players open. 

The predictable playcalling yeah totally. 

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Sorry... I wasn't inferring that YOU personally hate Allen.  It was a general statement.  There are definitely some haters on this board and out there in the media as well.

Sure no problem 

Edited by london_bills

Offense scored 14 points. Defense got us 3 points and gave up 24. It should be obvious we needed Josh to connect on a few more of his misses on a day where Brady wound back the clock. 

That said, it's taken me a day to process that throw to Brown. Guys don't make that throw. Josh made the same one last year vs. Jags when he was getting hit but still put it on a rope 40-50 yards downfield for a TD. It's mind boggling he can do that but can't hit some of the other lay ups. And we did it to Gilmore which makes it all the more sweet. 

Edited by VW82

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

So you think Daboll is the issue generally as opposed to Allen?

If that's so then you might be right.

When there are open receivers on shorter throws and the QB doesn't hit them and throws inaccurately I find it hard then to put that blame on Daboll as he has schemed players open. 

The predictable playcalling yeah totally. 

Sure no problem 

I think both have been a problem at times.  Everything has been a problem at times.

Allen sometimes misses throws

Receivers sometimes drop some drive killing throws that are on the money or they fail to make a catch that throw isn't on the money but definitely catchable

I think the gameplan at times is ridiculous. For instance you start the game getting the ball in FG range and you run 5 straight times then ask Allen to complete his first pass on third and long. For instance you just scored a huge TD on a great drive.  You get the ball back and proceed to run the ball 3 times.

For as many times as Daboll has "schemed guys open"  Allen has bailed out his ridiculous call.

The oline is a sieve a lot.  Some of that has to do with the predictable offense. 

Is there really an OC that doesn't "scheme guys open?"  Serious question.  Is it that he schemes guys open or people just happen to get open?  How often do you really watch a busted series and say... that was good play calling we just failed.  I know I watch all the time and say wtf was Daboll thinking.  

How often do we see any play action?  How often do we see screens?  When we do see them, how often do they work?  There is a reason that Allen is one of the best in the NFL on 3rd and 6+, 7+, and 8+.  A lot of that has to do with the crap Daboll calls on early downs.  "Players didn't execute" maybe because the defense knew what was coming.  

I could speak all day on this but I don't think you want to read a huge rant.  I'll just say that Daboll is unlike any OC I have ever seen.  He doesn't scheme against a teams weakness.  He doesn't seem to call any particular set of plays for any specific reason.  It's almost as if he throws a dart at the board and calls the stupidest play at the stupidest time.  He is the Rex Ryan of offense.  If a team is weak on the boundaries we are going to bang our running back through the guards. 

If a team is great against the run but terrible against the pass we are going to run the ball 50 times a game.  If the team is lacking a tall physical receiver we are going to leave him inactive in favor of two speedster that contribute almost nothing to the offense.  At the same time we aren't going to use those two guys at stuff they have shown to be excellent at... jet sweeps.  We were killing it with those. They disappeared from our playbook a month ago.  During same month we faced teams that would be susceptible to those plays.  Where are the bread and butter plays that pick up 3-4 yards.  They sure are not in our playbook. 

I can't count how many times I see other teams throw little swing passes to the back or throw to the WR right at the line and those guys take off for good yards.  Nope  not us.  We don't employ those plays.  Where are the 5 yard crossers.  Where have our end arounds gone.  This playbook and calling is just insanely stupid.  Defenses know what we are going to do just because of what personnel we have on the field, what formation we are in, or what down it is.

How long did it take Daboll to actually realize we have a running back we can use?  Singletary started playing what? Mid season? and he still doesn't use him right.  Play calls aren't mixed up.  Run run pass punt.  pass pass pass punt. Look at the difference between Daboll and McDaniels yesterday.  McDaniels mixed play calls.  Kept the defense guessing.  It could have been a run or a pass on almost any down they played.  Daboll on the other hand just stayed with something until it was stopped then went with something else. Then expects Josh to bail him out with a tough throw on third down.  I don't care if he "schemed" a guy open or not.  All that really means is he called a pass play and someone got open.  Its not because it was a masterful pick play.  Its not because the defense didn't see it coming.  Its because a guy is usually going to get open somewhere on the field regardless. Especially on a blitz.  Ah never mind... I went on a rant. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Offense scored 14 points. Defense got us 3 points and gave up 24. It should be obvious we needed Josh to connect on a few more of his misses on a day where Brady wound back the clock. 

That said, it's taken me a day to process that throw to Brown. Guys don't make that throw. Josh made the same one last year vs. Jags when he was getting hit but still put it on a rope 40-50 yards downfield for a TD. It's mind boggling he can do that but can't hit some of the other lay ups. And we did it to Gilmore which makes it all the more sweet. 

I would  actually credit Brown on what happened to Gilmore there.  He totally fooled him.  Awesome pass too.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I would  actually credit Brown on what happened to Gilmore there.  He totally fooled him.  Awesome pass too.

They were playing zone but with no one in Gilmore's area he should have pursued. It was a great route. McCourty didn't stand a stance. It has my vote for Josh's best pass of the year.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think both have been a problem at times.  Everything has been a problem at times.

Receivers sometimes drop some drive killing throws that are on the money or they fail to make a catch that throw isn't on the money but definitely catchable

I think the gameplan at times is ridiculous. For instance you start the game getting the ball in FG range and you run 5 straight times then ask Allen to complete his first pass on third and long. For instance you just scored a huge TD on a great drive.  You get the ball back and proceed to run the ball 3 times.

For as many times as Daboll has "schemed guys open"  Allen has bailed out his ridiculous call.

The oline is a sieve a lot.  Some of that has to do with the predictable offense. 

Is there really an OC that doesn't "scheme guys open?"  Serious question.  Is it that he schemes guys open or people just happen to get open?  How often do you really watch a busted series and say... that was good play calling we just failed.  I know I watch all the time and say wtf was Daboll thinking.  

How often do we see any play action?  How often do we see screens?  When we do see them, how often do they work?  There is a reason that Allen is one of the best in the NFL on 3rd and 6+, 7+, and 8+.  A lot of that has to do with the crap Daboll calls on early downs.  "Players didn't execute" maybe because the defense knew what was coming.  

I could speak all day on this but I don't think you want to read a huge rant.  I'll just say that Daboll is unlike any OC I have ever seen.  He doesn't scheme against a teams weakness.  He doesn't seem to call any particular set of plays for any specific reason.  It's almost as if he throws a dart at the board and calls the stupidest play at the stupidest time.  He is the Rex Ryan of offense.  If a team is weak on the boundaries we are going to bang our running back through the guards. 

If a team is great against the run but terrible against the pass we are going to run the ball 50 times a game.  If the team is lacking a tall physical receiver we are going to leave him inactive in favor of two speedster that contribute almost nothing to the offense.  At the same time we aren't going to use those two guys at stuff they have shown to be excellent at... jet sweeps.  We were killing it with those. They disappeared from our playbook a month ago.  During same month we faced teams that would be susceptible to those plays.  Where are the bread and butter plays that pick up 3-4 yards.  They sure are not in our playbook. 

I can't count how many times I see other teams throw little swing passes to the back or throw to the WR right at the line and those guys take off for good yards.  Nope  not us.  We don't employ those plays.  Where are the 5 yard crossers.  Where have our end arounds gone.  This playbook and calling is just insanely stupid.  Defenses know what we are going to do just because of what personnel we have on the field, what formation we are in, or what down it is.

How long did it take Daboll to actually realize we have a running back we can use?  Singletary started playing what? Mid season? and he still doesn't use him right.  Play calls aren't mixed up.  Run run pass punt.  pass pass pass punt. Look at the difference between Daboll and McDaniels yesterday.  McDaniels mixed play calls.  Kept the defense guessing.  It could have been a run or a pass on almost any down they played.  Daboll on the other hand just stayed with something until it was stopped then went with something else. Then expects Josh to bail him out with a tough throw on third down.  I don't care if he "schemed" a guy open or not.  All that really means is he called a pass play and someone got open.  Its not because it was a masterful pick play.  Its not because the defense didn't see it coming.  Its because a guy is usually going to get open somewhere on the field regardless. Especially on a blitz.  Ah never mind... I went on a rant. 

Good points. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

English: difficult since 1066.

Battle of hastings. 

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You see what I see.  I see a lot of third and longs all game long I see a lot of very tight throws  What I dont see is any continuity or game planning specific to the team we face  I dont see special scheme making guys look good

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

He made some great throws, no doubt...all I’m saying is that it was a game the bills should have won and Allen’s erratic passing in the first half, and then later to Knox was the main reason they didn’t...defense has carried Allen all year, and the team needed Josh to step up and carry the team... at this point in his career, he is too inconsistent to be relied upon to do that...and as a result it holds the team back from being a championship contender...

Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson can all carry their teams consistently- Josh can’t...and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to take off the beer goggles.

Bill Belicheat Defense vs a 2nd year QB in his 26th career start at home on a national stage.

Can you tell us how that typically goes for the young QB?

Again, Allen missed some critical throws, but he also wasn't suckered into costly mistakes Patriot defenses. 

The only thing Buffalo's defense had to do was keep Brady & co out of the End zone with 9 minutes remaining and Buffalo wins. That's how McDermott has built this team... for us to win in those situations.

This game may be an outlier for our Defense, but I bet the players on D would put this game on themselves as well.

Allen, if we're all being objective, did better than anyone would have expected considering the circumstances.

He has work to do obviously, but I think this game probably should be more a shot of confidence for him than one of dejection.

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

He made some great throws, no doubt...all I’m saying is that it was a game the bills should have won and Allen’s erratic passing in the first half, and then later to Knox was the main reason they didn’t...defense has carried Allen all year, and the team needed Josh to step up and carry the team... at this point in his career, he is too inconsistent to be relied upon to do that...and as a result it holds the team back from being a championship contender...

Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson can all carry their teams consistently- Josh can’t...and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to take off the beer goggles.

I agree.

Is that sal vulcano in your pic? 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd just like to point out that both the Ravens and the Pats defenses are legit light years better than the Cowboys defense.

So what you're seeing is not just Allen being "hot and cold" vs being "on", it's the impact of a young QB facing a really really good defense vs playing a good defense.

Illogical

Last year might have been so

This year, No, haven't thought that

Sure somewhat. But good defense or no, if you see Allen look, set his feet and miss wildly twice in the 1st Q, it was a rough at times game for him this year. Every time. If he’s cold to start, he’s cold.

39 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Bill Belicheat Defense vs a 2nd year QB in his 26th career start at home on a national stage.

Again, Allen missed some critical throws, but he also wasn't suckered into costly mistakes Patriot defenses. 

The only thing Buffalo's defense had to do was keep Brady & co out of the End zone with 9 minutes remaining and Buffalo wins. That's how McDermott has built this team... for us to win in those situations.

This game may be an outlier for our Defense, but I bet the players on D would put this game on themselves as well.

Allen, if we're all being objective, did better than anyone would have expected considering the circumstances.

He has work to do obviously, but I think this game probably should be more a shot of confidence for him than one of dejection.

It was Patty Mahomes’ 28th start two weeks ago against the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sure somewhat. But good defense or no, if you see Allen look, set his feet and miss wildly twice in the 1st Q, it was a rough at times game for him this year. Every time. If he’s cold to start, he’s cold.

It was Patty Mahomes’ 28th start two weeks ago against the Pats.

!!! 

12 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Up the sass jacrispy. We need more sass. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Exactly!  Until McD stops being hell bent on being content to let his defense finish games with so much time on the clock, we will continue to lose games like this. 

Allen just came off the beautiful deep td to Brown and they called three straight running plays. Why?  Because McD thought it was enough to win. Let the defense shut them down. 

Yss...  this is the kind of crap about Daboll that irritates the heck outta me.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, london_bills said:

It's quite simple really. 

Just look at all the plays that are left on the field by allen. 

Watch the Allen presser. He admits to being jittery. 

Swap QBs and we win the game. 

Do we? Are you assuming this with the exact same play calling?

Swap QBs and many don't make a number of the plays Allen made.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I do think that. Painful to say but Brady on the bills yesterday and we win I think. Just better at hitting the open plays. 

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Absolutely true. Allen makes a lot of big boy throws. 

There’s an accurate middle ground that Allen can’t continue to fall asleep for drives at a time against good teams, but he absolutely makes key plays as well.

Curious thought, how many passes has Allen failed to complete this year because he was off the mark & how does that compare to the rest of the NFL? I’m talking specifically about those throws less than 20 yards downfield like the one to Beasley where he was 10’ too far ahead on.

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

are you saying micromanaging competition % is ummmmm unnecessary?

;)  ;)  :) 

It’s easy to point at completion percentage as a clear sign Allen is much improved this year compared to last. I don’t think it’s unnecessary at all. Especially when it passes the eye test.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He has work to do obviously, but I think this game probably should be more a shot of confidence for him than one of dejection

Josh had a 102 QB rating against the Pats last night. He's getting better, in fact his QB ranking is 25% better than last year while only throwing 3 INT's in the last 11 games.

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Josh had a 102 QB rating against the Pats last night. He's getting better, in fact his QB ranking is 25% better than last year while only throwing 3 INT's in the last 11 games.

Compared to Josh Allen’s performance last time against the Pats and he played leaps and bounds better as well. Well enough to beat the Pats is debateable, but it’s not debateable he did better.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, london_bills said:

It's natural to ask the question  'would this result be different if those open receivers were hit.'

It'd clearly be fair to then also ask the question if our record would be different if our WRs, TEs and RBs caught the 22+ balls they dropped this year that were thrown to them. Right?

• Like (+1) 2

Allen continues to make the hard throws look easy, and the easy throws look hard. 

At some point that will need to change if we want to start beating good teams.

His decision making is much better, but his execution is still lacking consistency. 

24 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It'd clearly be fair to then also ask the question if our record would be different if our WRs, TEs and RBs caught the 22+ balls they dropped this year that were thrown to them. Right?

Yes of course. Drops don't help.

The ball needs to be positioned well for the receivers though also. The low pass to knox against the Pats I would put more on allen even though it could of been caught, so there is a subjective line there.

With Allen there is some inaccuracy at times. There have been drops though.

l'm looking at the drops list and not seeing a black and white correlation between drops and doing badly. Bills on 22, pats on 21, SF on 19 drops. Atlanta with only 4 drops all season and they are not doing very well. 

Trubisky, fitzpatrick and Brady all high on drops so they should also get a break for that. 

Edited by london_bills

7 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yes of course. Drops don't help.

The ball needs to be positioned well for the receivers though also. The low pass to knox against the Pats I would put more on allen even though it could of been caught, so there is a subjective line there.

The low pass to Knox would not be counted as a drop.  There are specific criteria.  A ball that is low or high or requires the receiver to jump or dive is not scored as a drop, even if it hits the receivers hands.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The low pass to Knox would not be counted as a drop.  There are specific criteria.  A ball that is low or high or requires the receiver to jump or dive is not scored as a drop, even if it hits the receivers hands.

Ok thanks for clarifying that. 

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

Allen makes too many poor throws. It hurts the team, despite all the good things he does. Nothing wrong with pointing out those misses. There were 2 TD's we missed that most QB's would have made.

Does an incompletion hurt the team more than an Interception?

Do you think another QB in the NFL makes that 4th and 1 yesterday or vs Dallas?

One needs to weigh it ALL when thinking about the QB, not just whether he missed a few throws he should have completed... although once again, at that point, shouldn't we also factor in the 22+ passes that our WRs, TEs and RBs dropped this year?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Does an incompletion hurt the team more than an Interception?

Do you think another QB in the NFL makes that 4th and 1 yesterday or vs Dallas?

One needs to weigh it ALL when thinking about the QB, not just whether he missed a few throws he should have completed... although once again, at that point, shouldn't we also factor in the 22+ passes that our WRs, TEs and RBs dropped this year?

Which 4th and 1 transplantsbillsfan, the last play of the game? 

Edited by london_bills

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And this is why the # of drops attributed to the Bills receivers is artificially low.  Bills receivers seem to make fewer tough catches then their counterparts around the league. And while that low pass to Knox wasn't a drop it's a pass that is caught by a lot of NFL skill players. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

^someone explain to this guy how drops effect an offense that has a lower amount of attempts on average (like ours) than one like the Patriots who throw the ball at a high rate 

Hm. Then inaccurate throws will effect our offence more than others? 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1