Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

Just now, oldmanfan said:

No you don’t compare to the league because it is pretty clear the Bills offensive philosophy is different than, say, the Chiefs.  You look at how the individual player is improving over his previous performances.  And Allen is improving.

No that's not at all how you do it. Why compare to trash? Why compare to an irrelevant season?

Our offense is the way it is because it's what the coaches believe Allen can handle. There is improvement by Allen statistically, which still leaves him as one of the worst QBs statistically in the NFL. The improvement has been minimal. That minimal improvement is vs weak competition. 

Strangest stat this season is how long he still holds the football even though a lot of the passing game is designed quick throws.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No that's not at all how you do it. Why compare to trash? Why compare to an irrelevant season?

Our offense is the way it is because it's what the coaches believe Allen can handle. There is improvement by Allen statistically, which still leaves him as one of the worst QBs statistically in the NFL. The improvement has been minimal. That minimal improvement is vs weak competition. 

Strangest stat this season is how long he still holds the football even though a lot of the passing game is designed quick throws.

I think you're completely off base here.  They are not setting the offense around Allen's limitations, or at  least what your bias perceives as limitations.  They want him in the pocket more, want him taking the short and intermediate throws, want to run the ball effectively.  Allen's completion percentage is up, his picks are down. He is one of the top rated QBs in the fourth quarter in the league, and since you insist on comparisons with others it's interesting your leave that out.

The kid has a lot to do yet.  Needs to obviously hit some more long passes, needs to continue improving his reads.  But you appear to be one of those folks who had decided he was no good on 2018 draft day, and refuse to open your eyes and be objective.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think you're completely off base here.  They are not setting the offense around Allen's limitations, or at  least what your bias perceives as limitations.  They want him in the pocket more, want him taking the short and intermediate throws, want to run the ball effectively.  Allen's completion percentage is up, his picks are down. He is one of the top rated QBs in the fourth quarter in the league, and since you insist on comparisons with others it's interesting your leave that out.

The kid has a lot to do yet.  Needs to obviously hit some more long passes, needs to continue improving his reads.  But you appear to be one of those folks who had decided he was no good on 2018 draft day, and refuse to open your eyes and be objective.

Needs to be a lot better is the simplest way to put it. If anyone is happy with what they are seeing then they're the one's with the bias.

4th quarter rating? Name his signature 4th quarter comeback? Dolphins? Bengals? Jets? No, probably the mighty Titans. I mean come on. 

He has not been good, that's what we want. I don't want him to simply be better than Josh Allen.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Needs to be a lot better is the simplest way to put it. If anyone is happy with what they are seeing then they're the one's with the bias.

4th quarter rating? Name his signature 4th quarter comeback? Dolphins? Bengals? Jets? No, probably the mighty Titans. I mean come on. 

He has not been good, that's what we want. I don't want him to simply be better than Josh Allen.

The reality is everyone knew Josh was a project. As I’ve stated before, he went to a small HS, JUCO and then a small D1 school. That’s simply reality. Transitioning to the NFL speed and players level takes time. 

Given those things, his trajectory has been nothing short of impressive. Should you want to minimize that, so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Every way? What about redzone TD % where the Bills lead the league?

That is something I've praised Allen for in past. It's something he did very well in college at as well. So I stand corrected. Although Our redzone attempts needs to get better.

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

The reality is everyone knew Josh was a project. As I’ve stated before, he went to a small HS, JUCO and then a small D1 school. That’s simply reality. Transitioning to the NFL speed and players level takes time. 

Given those things, his trajectory has been nothing short of impressive. Should you want to minimize that, so be it. 

Carson Wentz trajectory was impressive. 

The positive with Allen is at times he passes the eye test. There is obviously something there to develop. His leadership skills are off the charts. He is progressing in terms of how much is being asked of him pre snap. The results aren't near what we should expect but he is definitely worth the time to continue development.

8 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If the staff continues to insist on handcuffing Allen rather than actually letting him properly develop, I'm fearful that he'll turn in a 2020 season like we're seeing Trubisky have right now.

This is not a linear equation.  Trubisky has regressed because he’s just not good.  Defenses figured him out and he can’t figure them out.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Better? Allen and Trubisky are mirror images of one another.

I'll have what you are smoking please 

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the homeroom bell just rang.  Off you go now, get to class.  

If you can not see the improvements .... you are not looking close enough.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, syhuang said:

and whether it'll happen or not has nothing to do with having similar passing yards, TDs, and INTs in their sophomore season. So what's the point of listing their year 2 stats especially you already admit similar stats aren't implying they would end up as similar QBs?

If you don’t think it’s interesting that a second-year Allen is having the exact same season that second-year Trubisky had then it’s ok - move on with your life.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm glad some people are encouraged by Allen this season. I still don't see it. Our offense is dreadful in every way. Allen's numbers have improved but still you have to compare them to the league. Then you must also take into account the cake schedule.

What I love about Allen is his competitiveness and leadership. I'm hoping the 2nd half of the season we see him take a step forward. This week will be a good start. Browns will get after him, they have talent. This is a game though where Allen shouldn't struggle too much if he has improved. I'm pretty confident he's going to struggle on the road vs the Browns. I hope he proves me wrong.

Let me guess you part of the group that thinks because he hasn't thrown for 300 yards yet he sucks, amiright?

34 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If you don’t think it’s interesting that a second-year Allen is having the exact same season that second-year Trubisky had then it’s ok - move on with your life.

If you don’t think it’s interesting that a second-year Allen is having the the same stats as Jarred Goff ......  then it’s ok - move on with your life.   :beer:

Approx Comp ration  for both is  60%

TD to INT ration  -  11 over 7 to 10 over 7 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

42 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I'll have what you are smoking please 

I think the homeroom bell just rang.  Off you go now, get to class.  

If you can not see the improvements .... you are not looking close enough.  

My bank account goes from $1 to $2 am I rich? According to you I must be. I mean look at the improvement. 100% improvement.

10 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Let me guess you part of the group that thinks because he hasn't thrown for 300 yards yet he sucks, amiright?

Couldn't care less about 300 yards. Both bad and good QB's throw for 300 yards. Doesn't mean anything to me.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My bank account goes from $1 to $2 am I rich? According to you I must be. I mean look at the improvement. 100% improvement.

Couldn't care less about 300 yards. Both bad and good QB's throw for 300 yards. Doesn't mean anything to me.

You are TARDY.  Go straight to detention 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Im not talking about the goalline play... im talking about the 3rd down play before Gore got stuffed on 4th down. Should have been a first down but Mcdermott didnt challenge the spot even tho it was a full yard short. He landed on top of defender and reached for the first down. 

The play you are talkng about was obviously  short of the goalline. I thought it was clear that i wasnt talking about that. Besides that was irrelevant  cause we still scored the TD. But the other Knox catch wasnt because Gore got stuffed the next play

The Knox play?  Someone posted about that - some body part (elbow?) was seen to be down short on film.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:50 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

60.9% at 6.8 YPA.

For those keeping track.

4th game Allen just looked rattled the entire game.

Big bounce back against the Titans. Other than the horrible Interception he was really good.

Weird game against Miami but Allen showing he's pretty clutch late in the game.

Eagles game was UGLY. Josh needs to protect the football better. He seems to fumble once or twice every week. Passing he looked okay, though I wonder if we trade for or acquire a WR before the deadline. Not a fan of Daboll's play calling along with the strange decision to go for it on 4th and 10 in FG range.

Allen looked good against Washington, other than the deep miss to Foster and the obligatory fumble.

Onto Cleveland!

I am not a Josh apologizer by any stretch but that deep “miss” last week was because Foster stopped running for some odd reason.  If that was John Brown or even McKenzie that was 7 points. 

The issue is Brown gets too much attention because Duke, Foster, Beas don’t demand any downfield fear. Time to get Andre and McKenzie into those deep patterns. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Very few QBs come into the league completely effective their 1st or 2nd year.  Luck, Mahomes, Dak Prescott.  In some cases, their success in hindsight depends upon an "X" factor (a strong rush game, an excellent OL, a superstar WR, their offensive coach talking to them legally at the LOS) and when that piece goes away, they falter.

There's a very common pattern of QB who come into the league with known gaps, or who are in the league and become starters, and show flashes.  They throw 5 TD to 7 INTs and only pass for 156 YPG with 55% completions.  They take a step their 2nd year, but it's not quite enough.

The question then becomes, do they take another step their 3rd year, or do they falter?

So no, I'm really not all crying in my coffee that Allen is having the same year as (fill in the now-considered-bad QB-Trubisky, Bortles, whoever).  

I'm also not all smiling as I sip champagne that Allen is having the same year as (fill in the now-considered-good QB).    And in the end, he's his own guy who can chart his own path and none of those people are him, anyway.  Just like comparing LJax to RGIII or Tyrod - there are similarities, but he's his own fella with his own set of skills.

The question isn't the position of his "dot" at this time in QB space.  The question is the trajectory of his line.  He's not being babied by his coach calling out the defense and protections at the line for him.  He doesn't have a great OL or great RB or great WR to bail him out - better than last year, but at best average.  He's learning on the job, and there are positive signs (better decision making, fewer INTs so far, progression in stepping up in the pocket and making his reads)

Allen isn't The Man yet and we don't know if he will be.  Either Allen will continue to take steps, or he won't.  And we just have to wait and see.

The most troubling thing to me about Allen right now are the fumbles.  I'm in the camp (and was with TT) that says "Any Fumble Bad Bad Bad".  But again....QB in general have crap ball security, right now Allen is sandwiched between Daniel Jones and Gardner Minshew and one up on Jameis Winston.  There's also some bogosity I never realized before - Dak Prescott had a fumbled exchange that he picked up and it was scored as an "rush for -5".  Josh Allen an exchange that he picked up and it was recorded in the play-by-play as an "aborted snap" but scored against him as a fumble in the stat line.  So there's that - more subjectivity than one might think.  But Allen has a target on him right now when he's holding the ball and he's got to figure out how to deal with that.

Again, he will or he won't - we just have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1