Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real? - ESPN

Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

Grab your best breakaway tailgate tables, Buffalo. Your Bills are 3-0, and the undefeated Patriots are coming to town next week. If you've been under the radar so far, that's all about to end.

You never know where the big games are going to pop up on the NFL schedule, but my goodness, there's a battle for first place in the AFC East in Week 4 in upstate New York.

The Patriots walloped the Jets in Foxborough on Sunday afternoon, while Buffalo held off Cincinnati. What better way to lead off an overreaction column than with a wild Week 3 assertion about the Bills?

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs

Buffalo has started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2011 and only the third time in the past 26 years. The Bills are allowing only about 15.6 points per game. Josh Allen is getting it done, somehow. The Bills had a strategic and quietly extensive offseason of improving their receiver corps and offensive line around Allen, and so far it appears to be paying off.

Based on my high expectations for this season and the teams we played during the first month, I'm not really surprised at the 3-0 start.

The team has actually played worse than I expected, considering the turnovers and dumb mistakes.

With that said, I'm not going to judge how "real" the Bills are by how they perform against the Patriots this Sunday.  Most of the people who follow the NFL have already mentally handed New England the Lombardi trophy, and the real question is how close they can get to 17-0 along the way.  

If the Bills can win 10 games this season and make the playoffs, I'll feel content that we are moving in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 6

The Bills are likely to make the Playoffs. A 10-6 or 11-5 record should be a given. They are real- but not great by a long shot. 

Not Excellent.

Not  VERY Good.

Not YET! 

Given all the other strengths and improvements, they will rise or fall on the strong arm of Josh Allen. To get there, he needs to stop making anymore of those pathetic FUBAR plays PLUS, start to hit the HR ball! Devoting a thread to being 0 for 36 on a 300 Yard Passing Game, was not the time yesterday when 3-0.

However, the issue is underlined here. NFL QBs can rarely get over the 300 yard hump, if they are simply throwing short to medium Outs, Curls & Slants! Especially, with little YAC, by leading the Receiver. Allen MUST develop the deep ball properly, if he has going to hit the SECOND tier of QBs.

Which is, in Week 4?

Stars- Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, * Big Ben, * Brees, Wilson

Next Tier Stars- Dak, Watson, Wentz, Goff, Rivers, Jackson

On the Move up.

Here’s where Allen fits in- Murray, Newton, Ryan, Mayfield, Cousins, Garoppolo, Stamford, Carr, Brissett, Mariota, Foles.

Not good enough to be in the 3rd. grouping or worse!

He must get better to make the Bills better!

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Let's overreact to Week 3 in the NFL: Are the Bills for real?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

Grab your best breakaway tailgate tables, Buffalo. Your Bills are 3-0, and the undefeated Patriots are coming to town next week. If you've been under the radar so far, that's all about to end.

You never know where the big games are going to pop up on the NFL schedule, but my goodness, there's a battle for first place in the AFC East in Week 4 in upstate New York.

The Patriots walloped the Jets in Foxborough on Sunday afternoon, while Buffalo held off Cincinnati. What better way to lead off an overreaction column than with a wild Week 3 assertion about the Bills?

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs

Buffalo has started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2011 and only the third time in the past 26 years. The Bills are allowing only about 15.6 points per game. Josh Allen is getting it done, somehow. The Bills had a strategic and quietly extensive offseason of improving their receiver corps and offensive line around Allen, and so far it appears to be paying off.

Wow...week 3 and someone around the country realized the Bills made off season moves to improve themselves?

Damn, it would have helped on some of these national prognostications for the season if they had only known that.

I don't want to poo-poo on the article, but are these guys also aware that the Jets, with their stud and unstoppable QB Sam Darnold, picked up Bell and Mosley in the offeason?  Shame on them if they didn't take that into consideration.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

9 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The Bills are likely to make the Playoffs. A 10-6 or 11-5 record should be a given. They are real- but not great by a long shot. 

Not Excellent.

Not  VERY Good.

Not YET! 

Given all the other strengths and improvements, they will rise or fall on the strong arm of Josh Allen. To get there, he needs to stop making anymore of those pathetic FUBAR plays PLUS, start to hit the HR ball! Devoting a thread to being 0 for 36 on a 300 Yard Passing Game, was not the time yesterday when 3-0.

However, the issue is underlined here. NFL QBs can rarely get over the 300 yard hump, if they are simply throwing short to medium Outs, Curls & Slants! Especially, with little YAC, by leading the Receiver. Allen MUST develop the deep ball properly, if he has going to hit the SECOND tier of QBs.

Which is, in Week 4?

Stars- Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, * Big Ben, * Brees, Wilson

Next Tier Stars- Dak, Watson, Wentz, Goff, Rivers, Jackson

On the Move up.

Here’s where Allen fits in- Murray, Newton, Ryan, Mayfield, Cousins, Garoppolo, Stamford, Carr, Brissett, Mariota, Foles.

Not good enough to be in the 3rd. grouping or worse!

He must get better to make the Bills better!

Only 10 QBs in the NFL threw more passes over 20 yards in the air than Allen did in 2018.

This 300 yards passing as a line of demarcation is silly to me.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, Gugny said:

Only 10 QBs in the NFL threw more passes over 20 years in the air than Allen did in 2018.

You are in the era of the Arena Football League "Showtime" mindset; winning is OK but they need lots of action for it to count!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This reminds me a bit of the 87-88 Bills.  They are getting decent..  Showing signs of joining the NFL, strong defense, offense beginning to figure it out. 

Not sure they have completely arrived yet the way the 88 Bills did.   

Excellent post, getting there but still in the reboot process, but exciting to watch and heading for better days. If we beat the Patriots Sunday it will be equal to shutting out the Dolphins at home in 1987. If we get beat it does not change anything!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Only 10 QBs in the NFL threw more passes over 20 yards in the air than Allen did in 2018.

It’s a sign of development.

And, in this NFL, it’s essential!

Without looking at them all, you just know that those QBs who did so frequently are in the star echelon of the NFL! 

I won’t give you Brees, who is in his own HOF- 124 x 300 yards in his career- almost NINE Seasons of 300+ yard games, with records for most 400 yarders.

In 2018...Take Mahomes. He had 10/16. Old Man Rivers had 5/16.

Allen must get better.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

I think reality sets in this Sunday. The Bills D should be able to keep it from becoming a jailbreak, but I don't see a win happening unless the D also puts up some points. 

I predict a close, low scoring first half, followed by the Pats rolling in the second. 33-13 final score.

The Bills have so far shown an inability to "make adjustments" at halftime, as they say, coming out very tepid in the 3rd quarter. The Pats are the best in the business at making those adjustments. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

It’s a sign of development.

And, in this NFL, it’s essential!

Without looking at them all, you just know that those QBs who did so frequently are in the star echelon of the NFL! 

I won’t give you Brees, who is in his own HOF- 124 x 300 yards in his career- almost NINE Seasons of 300+ yard games, with records for most 400 yarders.

Take Mahomes. He had 10/16. Old Man Rivers had 5/16.

Allen must get better.

Brees, Rivers, Mahomes = one Super Bowl win in 35 combined years.

Sometimes losing is exciting.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I always kind of laugh when people get hyped about being 10th in the NFL at something. Like dude, it’s a 1/3 of the league. That’s not impressive. 10th puts you right in the middle of the bell curve. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

When you couple the 3-0 start with the fact they have 3 more games against Jets and Miami, I get hopeful for a playoff run. I looked over the schedule and there is probably 4 games right now that the Bills would be underdogs in. Not saying we win 12 games but 10 is achievable.

This is where I was at before the season.

The injuries are starting to pile up though so we will see, but definitely don't see an outright collapse.

I think this is a playoff team. I also think they are not in the same class as NE*

That said I think they can beat every team on the schedule. Only games I am "worried" about: NE* x2 and Baltimore. Philly will be a tough test but they are beat up. Every other game, the Bills can win. As long as they dont beat themselves

43 minutes ago, Gugny said:

@eanyills, why are you "skeptical," of this post?  I'm interested to know.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This reminds me a bit of the 87-88 Bills.  They are getting decent..  Showing signs of joining the NFL, strong defense, offense beginning to figure it out. 

Not sure they have completely arrived yet the way the 88 Bills did.   

I think you are right. I told my son the same thing after the game yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

What??? National sports journalists being lazy about the Bills during the offseason? I'm horrified. Welcome to the internet world of sports coverage. 

I actually think this is equally lazy. The Bills are indeed better than last year. I think they are about an 8/9 win team. 

We are 3-0 against 3 teams that are probably picking in or around the top 5. 

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

People getting excited about being top 10 or around there in the NFL always make me giggle a little bit. Like dude, that puts you just at or outside the top 3rd. It’s like legitimately getting excited and putting a bumper sticker on your car that reads, “My Kids Get C’s”

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I actually think this is equally lazy. The Bills are indeed better than last year. I think they are about an 8/9 win team. 

People getting excited about being top 10 or around there in the NFL always make me giggle a little bit. Like dude, that puts you just at or outside the top 3rd. It’s like legitimately getting excited and putting a bumper sticker on your car that reads, “My Kids Get C’s”

Not sure who's getting excited.  The poster said that Allen didn't throw the deep ball.  I provided a statistic that shows that, last year, he threw the deep ball more than 2/3 of the rest of the QBs in the league.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Well, at least you're consistent. There's that.

2 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Im hopeful. But week 4 is the first true test. To date our victories are against opponents with a combined record of 1-8. Technically 0-8 because the 1 victory was not the Giants team we faced as Daniel Jones was at the helm. 

Understand your point but you do realize this will be the first true test this season for the Patriots. They are 3-0 with victories over opponents who are 0-9. Bills have won without playing a complete game yet. This would be a great game to be strong in all four quarters. Love they direction this team is going!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Threw more or completed more? So far his deep ball accuracy has been sub-par at best. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Threw more or completed more? So far his deep ball accuracy has been sub-par at best. 

Threw more.  Two more than Brady and Allen's completion percentage on those passes was higher. 

The long ball doesn't win games.  Short/intermediate passes win games.  Allen has thrown more short/intermediate passes this season and we're 3-0.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Threw more.  Two more than Brady and Allen's completion percentage on those passes was higher. 

The long ball doesn't win games.  Short/intermediate passes win games.  Allen has thrown more short/intermediate passes this season and we're 3-0.

His pass charts showed his strength was intermediate passes in the middle of the field last year. The Beasley pick up and drafting of two TEs was the best thing they could've done to really play off of that. Sometimes the long ball is necessary though to keep a defense honest, and he hasn't been close or has thrown right into coverage so far this year. Overall though I agree with you, just trying to clarify. 

1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

What??? National sports journalists being lazy about the Bills during the offseason? I'm horrified. Welcome to the internet world of sports coverage. 

“Hey, Bills are showing improvement.  Should we take a crew up to their training camp?”

”No, there’s nothing to do in Fredonia N.Y. in the evening.  Send extra staff to the Giants and Jets”.

33 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Understand your point but you do realize this will be the first true test this season for the Patriots. They are 3-0 with victories over opponents who are 0-9. Bills have won without playing a complete game yet. This would be a great game to be strong in all four quarters. Love they direction this team is going!

I actually just started realizing today that the Patriots really haven’t played anybody of note either. In fact, they might have had an easier schedule than the Bills to date, playing a blatantly tanking Miami team and a beat up Jets team on their 3rd string QB. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Brees, Rivers, Mahomes = one Super Bowl win in 35 combined years.

Sometimes losing is exciting.

Winning is great but only counts if you are playing Arena League Football - I rest my case! I would love to spend a cold gray day in an open air stadium with some flurries on natural grass watching smash mouth football, especially if its a Buffalo win.

4 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I actually just started realizing today that the Patriots really haven’t played anybody of note either. In fact, they might have had an easier schedule than the Bills to date, playing a blatantly tanking Miami team and a beat up Jets team on their 3rd string QB. 

In light of the unkind remark regarding the alleged easiness of the New England Patriots’ schedule, you will be billed for an AB # 1 / 17 / 84 Patriot jersey (gift shop choice, no substitutions).  Please provide a credit card number and address it can be shipped to.  ?

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think this is a playoff team. I also think they are not in the same class as NE*

That said I think they can beat every team on the schedule. Only games I am "worried" about: NE* x2 and Baltimore. Philly will be a tough test but they are beat up. Every other game, the Bills can win. As long as they dont beat themselves

You're not worried about Dallas?

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

they should put this up in the locker room to give them even more reason to kick the evil empires ass.

talk about disrespect. ***** nfl.com

disrespect.jpg

NFLN GMFB had a spot on the Most Surprising  3-0 team.  

(maybe it was a good thing??)  No one spoke of the Bills (much)

5 minute Mark 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_BIBcnde8g

and 6:30 mark 

EDIT - 

just seemed weird how the Bills were ranked the lowest of those teams and more and 3-0 isn't a surprise for a team expected to be 0-3 or 1-2? 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Thank you (+1) 1