Tipster19

This is a must win game for the Bills.

There's no such thing as a must-win in Week Two. That's like being partly pregnant.

But if such a thing did exist, this would not be one of them.

54 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

"This is not a must-win; World War II was a must-win."

-Marv Levy

I agree with Marv.  And this game isn't a must-win either. 

Nice. And also correct.

3 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I agree with the OP.  The Bills will likely either barely make the playoffs or just miss.  A loss to the Bengals would likely jeopardize their chances.

No such thing as a must win unless losing eliminates you from the playoffs, so if it is "likely" necessary, that means it isn't a must win.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s like a 73% chance to make the playoffs after starting 3-0. It’s something like a 53% chance starting 2-1. Numbers are close maybe not exact. Let’s win 😃

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Nate Burleson picked the Bengals as is Grade A, 100%, uhhhh.....ah f*** it. His lock of the week 

Off the subject, but Burleson is a terrific announcer. I think he does a great job (though I obviously disagree with this prediction). 

• Like (+1) 1

It is a must win to have a decent shot of 10 wins this season. 

The Titans last year lost to the Bills in week 5.  I’m sure they pegged that as a win and it turns out it kept them from the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

Lets just not repeat 2011.....stay focused...execute and never underestimate your opponent...the Bills mantra this year is every game is a new season...0-0

If they can do these things they'll win a lot of games this year...Josh is still developing and I said all along next year is when he explodes on the scene.

It's a must win for Lazy, because if they lose this game, I will kick her farther than a Sebastian Janikowski pregame field goal attempt with a 50 MPH wind behind his back.

Poor little Lazy girl.  Come on Bills!!!

Every game is important in a 16 game season. If it's a must win, what happens if they lose? Is the season over? No, so it's not a must win. It has value like every other game this season, but that's it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's no such thing as a must-win in Week Two. That's like being partly pregnant.

But if such a thing did exist, this would not be one of them.

Nice. And also correct.

Well since this is week 3 could this still be a must-win?

I 100% agree. A couple years ago, the Bengals were called a "trap game," and a team we should easily beat. 

Then they beat us.

I still haven't forgotten that, mainly because when looking back on the season, it was the one game where it was so obvious the Bills crapped the bed. 

Thankfully for us, the Ginger Savior had our backs & KO'd the Ravens to get us into the playoffs at the end of the year. Had they lost, it would've been the Bengals game from earlier in the year that cost us the chance at breaking the drought.

We started off that year 5-2 when we should've started out 6-1. This season, I'm hoping the team is different, and that we put away the teams we're supposed to beat. No more trap games, no losses to teams with 0 wins, let's just take care of business.

Here's hoping the Bills can pull it off this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

I say all games are a must win, there are only so many spots for the playoffs, we will most likely be fighting it out with a wild card 5-6 team so all these games are pretty crucial. It's not the end all if we lose but 3-1 is much better than 2-2 right? :) 

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

otherwise they will be playing to being the same old Bills.

Please don't do that to the English language. 

• Like (+1) 1

If this new Bills team believes that this is the season where they make the transition from basement-dweller to title contender and need to believe as a team that they've reached that point of controlling their own destiny, then they need to beat a struggling Bengals' team to add to the momentum of a 2-0 start. 

A loss would be a setback IMO; I think it is a must-win for the sake of team morale/player psyche.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

"This is not a must-win; World War II was a must-win."

-Marv Levy

I agree with Marv.  And this game isn't a must-win either. 

You beat me to it.

Not with this coaching staff.  You could still talk me into the playoffs even if we lose our next three.  Five probably wins against the Fins (2x), Skins, Broncos, and Jets.  The Browns, Steelers, and Eagles don't seem as formidable as they did before the season started.  Any given Sunday (or Thanksgiving) against the Ravens, Pats, and Cowboys.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's not exactly a must win, though it is.  Losing this game would suck...it is a game the Bills are supposed to win and should win.  Plus the Bengals are in the AFC, so that can count in a tie breaker scenario for a WC spot and seed positioning.

This is where I'm at 👆👆👆

Logically? = No! Still plenty of time and pathways to the playoffs

Emotionally? = Yes! A loss would be a huge blow to the psyche of the team, and especially to the current "high" of its fan base.

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

2-0 and now the home opener with the Patriots on the horizon. Matter of fact forget the Patriots, this is a must win gam me period. After having the first 2 games under their belts without a loss the Bills have a great opportunity to spring forward and start putting a bit of separation between them and most of the other AFC teams.

Losing this game would be a big oops. Regardless what happens with the Patriots the Bills need to prove that they can win games that they are suppose to and not shoot themselves in the foot otherwise they will be playing to being the same old Bills. Winning this game, regardless what happens in the Patriot game and then beating the Titans on the road would propel and advance the Bills to a level that they haven’t been to in decades. On top of all that having to play the Dolphins twice and ending the season at home against the Jets would just about solidify the play-offs. Any other games that they win, especially against AFC teams would start to give the Bills the idea that they can almost threaten for the division but make no mistake about, it all starts right here right now against the Bengals. Go Bills!

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Had they lost to the Jets, I would say it's really close to a "must win" if must win means they're not making the playoffs if they lose.

I think there'd be a reasonable path to the playoffs even if they lose this one.

6 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

A must win? No sir. The season is not doomed with a loss. Stop setting up your tent on the ledge. Makes it that much more tempting to jump off if they lay an egg on Sunday. 

I get what you guys are saying, LS and Sig, but I think I am going to go with Tipster on this one.

a couple of years ago, when looking at the schedule I thought the Bengals game in week 5 was a must win, given the way everything played out.

We lost, but still got into the playoffs.  However, we needed that miracle by the bengals as we were out looking in.  I believe I’m sure that Bengals win would have made the Bengals/Baltimore moot.  Yes, the ravens and bills both would have had one more afc win, but I think we would still take it on tie breakers as we did.

...I don’t want any more miracle finishes or backing into the playoffs.  I think it is a must win.  If the don’t they must pick something else up somewhere down the line to make up for it.  That something else is likely a win against the Patriots, who we haven’t beaten with Brady at the helm since 2011.

I really don’t want to be in the position of we don’t HAVE to beat the Bengals but they we kind of MUST beat the Patriots.

other must win games are Dolphins (2), Jets, Washington, Denver...in total that get you to 8 with the 2-0 start.  They need 2 more (at least) somewhere with the Pats (2), @ Titans, Eagles, @ Cleveland, @ Dallas, Baltimore, @ Pittsburgh...and I like the odds of a pick’em in two of those games instead having to win 3 or 4 from there.

No such thing as a must win game in week 3, but this is a game that a good football team does not lose. That's going to be the deciding factor for me this week. A win is going to have me leaning toward optimism for the rest of the year. Yet ANOTHER disappointing loss to the Bengals and I'll be expecting same old Bills

• Like (+1) 1

Let me say this, Its a must win for the Bengals

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Must win if this is a good team. There is still a route to squeezing in at 9-7 with a loss but if the Bills are good then they have to win this game. 

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Had they lost to the Jets, I would say it's really close to a "must win" if must win means they're not making the playoffs if they lose.

I think there'd be a reasonable path to the playoffs even if they lose this one.

Ultimately the standard expected defines the need...

if ok sliding in at 9-7 and seeing if we get tie breaks etc.... we can drop this and even a few of these.

if hoping to play I’m buffalo in January, not much room for error in a conference game at home that you should win. It’s crucial to take this victories as otherwise you have to start sweeping teams like NE to make up for it and I’d much rather expect to split NE and beat Cincy at home when penciling in the path to the playoffs  

• Like (+1) 1

A loss to the Bengals would certainly kill any optimism we have towards the team, but it certainly isn't a must win game.

A playoff elimination (type) game is the only must win game.

• Like (+1) 1

With all due respect, someone should have prompted General Marv to get the boys out of the Officers Club a bit earlier the night before the big battle.

• Thanks! (+1) 1