Just Beat the Bengals -- Don't Look Ahead

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Of any team/fanbase, the Buffalo Bills are not the ones to ever look ahead or take an opponent lightly.  There has not been enough winning around here to be that cocky.  Cinci has NFL players and are dangerous.  A few years ago when Cinci was good and the Bills were crap we went in there an beat em.  They could do the same here.

Are you talking about 2005?  The Bills beat them in 2016 in Cinci but the Bengals weren’t that good that year.  

Either way good point.  Look at last years first win against the Vikings on the road when the Bills were 0-2.  Something like 17 point underdogs versus the Vikings 

Edited by Another Fan

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

And I don't think they are just anybody either.  They almost took it to the Seahawks week 1.  They have a potent offense.  And they must be in desperate to win mode

Seahwaks had no film of the Bengals under a new staff to study. The Bengals played them close, but so did the Steelers without Big Ben (also no film/prep for Rudolph though). In other words, Seattle is slightly overrated IMO, and last week's Bengals team was more of what I expected from them without Green. 

To all their own, I play the season in QTR's and had us 3-1 before the season started

Jets- W

Giants - W

Bengals - W

Patholes- L - but hopefully damn close

That's pretty damn respectable IMO

I have us next QTR while sitting 2-0.

I don't get why some fans say to take a chill pill and wait week to week. I live to standards, something Bills fans need to start doing after 20 years of turmoil. 

Titans - W - Damn close

Dolphins - W

Eagles - L

Redskins - W

Stopping here, but 6-2 is a fantastic half of the year!

What we as fans predict means jack squat. These are my expectations if we are for real. I even expect to win the Division next year after another solid draft and offseason. I guess I'm a sucker that trusts the process though?

Please surprise me against the Eagles n Pats. GO BILLS!

Poop on me.......

Edited by Real McCoy

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

My feeling is go week by week and this week its just beat the Bengals. I love the optimism here and I share it. But don't get ahead of yourself just beat the Bengals and next week the Patriots and the next week The Titans etc etc etc. Just play week by week, I think Josh said that in the post game presser.

I don't even want to think about all the superstitions you are honoring this week to manage the neurosis...............I mean it's entertainment and nothing you do or think has any bearing on the game result for chrissakes.:doh:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

OP is right.  I hear people talkin' 'bout the Cheats in week 4.  Concentrate on destroying the Ginger this week first.  We're not good enough to look past anybody yet.

We are the fans.  We can look ahead and it doesn't matter.  Just like in week 1 we could talk about whether AJ Green was going to be healthy for this game, we can talk all week about the hope that AB will be suspended for week 4.   We have that luxury because we don't have to prepare a gameplan or execute in practice.  In fact I would argue our job as fans is to look ahead with optimism.  

The players, take one game at a time.  This is a complete trap game.  Should be an easy win against a team that just got steam rolled and our home opener.  But how often do you we see a let down in a game a team should win.  Playoff teams rarely let that happen.  Add in all the tie breaker implications of a loss, and you can see this game as a must win and a loss hear really coming back to haunt them in the playoff chase.  

So fans please look ahead, look at the playoff simulations, think about trades that could help the team even if they are completely unrealistic. That is doing our job.

Players - study hard and stay focused.

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

My feeling is go week by week and this week its just beat the Bengals. I love the optimism here and I share it. But don't get ahead of yourself just beat the Bengals and next week the Patriots and the next week The Titans etc etc etc. Just play week by week, I think Josh said that in the post game presser.

Fans can do whatever they want.

So if we, or newspaper writers, start looking ahead, does that mean the team will too?  And lose games they should win, and disappoint us? 

While I seriously doubt any players are posting here, there's always the karma thing, that the players might pick up from the air in Orchard Park or East Aurora.  I just don't think it's worth the risk.

They're 0-0 and trying to get their first win of the year on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Fans can do whatever they want.

No they cannot. Look at all the rules for tailgating and you will see. 

What fans do has an affect. If you have ever actually been to a game try having all the fans boo their own defense and see how long you survive. Carry a sign next game that says beat the Pats and see how you are treated in a game vs the Bengals.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/17/fivethirtyeight-gives-buffalo-bills-over-50-percent-chance-playoffs/

It’s early, the Bills are even telling themselves that.

Still, let’s enjoy it just in case we can’t later. The Bills currently have a 58 percent chance to make the 2019 playoffs, according to FiveThirtyEight.

So as things currently sit via these analytical predictions, they’d grab the first Wild Card spot with the Chargers taking the second, despite their prior mentioned higher chance at making the playoffs. That’s because the Chargers’ simulated record here is 9-7.

Again, 

Did the OP say don't do this or that.  Or maybe this was his way of saying R E L A X a little.  14 more games to go!!!   

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

What fans do has an affect. If you have ever actually been to a game try having all the fans boo their own defense and see how long you survive. Carry a sign next game that says beat the Pats and see how you are treated in a game vs the Bengals.

Bills fans can do whatever they want.

According to Chris Brown, the first song the DJ played to start Wednesday's practice was "Don't Believe the Hype" by Public Enemy, the process doesn't allow you to look ahead in the schedule. (8' 26'' mark on this video)

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

What fans do has an *effect*.

• Haha (+1) 1

we've been through too much as a fanbase to be over optimistic. I got all hot and bothered when we went 4 - 1 to start the year under Jauron. I actually used the words Super Bowl in a thread. I've tried to limit myself to three beer when I'm on 2BD ever since

The Bengals aren't going to be a team that has a winning record at the end of the season. But I do feel like they are going to pop a few upsets. Their defense isn't tragic and they have a respectable QB with some weapons to throw to (esp if AJ Green gets back) along with a good RB combo in Minion and Gio Bernard, what is really holding the Bengals back is offensive line woes and while their defense isn't tragic it isn't elite either. 

They will win 5-6 games and much like the Bills last year will pop some upsets that will ruin some seasons. The Bills can't afford to look ahead to the Patriots. First of all, all these games count the same, a win against the Bengals is worth as much as a win against the Pats other than tie breakers. Secondly 10+ win teams mostly get to that mark by taking care of the teams they are supposed to beat and winning some of the toss up games. The Bills at home should come out there and really put the Bengals away as quickly as possible because if you let that team hang around it could be a nail bitter. 

23 hours ago, klos63 said:

What fans think is irrelevant to game results.

That was my instant reaction. Sometimes I think we take our feelings just a BIT too far.

The OP didn't explicitly state as much, but one could infer that the message was Bills fans collectively looking ahead to the Pats game would have some effect on the Cincy game. Doesn't work that way.

I view each game as important and never do the look ahead thing, so I agree in that sense, but I'm pretty sure my viewpoint is entirely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Well  If not us can others?    Pats Pulpit

AFC East Report: Patriots and Bills pulling away in the division

The first week of the NFL's 2019 regular season is in the books, and it was quite an interesting one for the AFC East. We saw a comeback win, a blowout loss, and a blowout ...

Buffalo Bills: 

After coming from behind to win their season opener in the very same stadium, the Buffalo Bills also trailed early on in their Week 2 game against the New York Giants: it took the home team just five plays to drive from its own 25 to the end zone, taking a 7-0 lead. The Bills defense was not the only unit off to a slow start, as the offense replied by going three-and-out. On its second possession, however, the unit tied the game.

Buffalo effectively ran the clock down, securing the team’s first 2-0 start since the 2014 season. And with an 0-2 Cincinnati Bengals team coming to town for the Bills’ first home game, it would also not be a surprise to see the team head into its Week 4 matchup against the Patriots with a 3-0 record.

15 minutes ago, DJB said:

Dalton is #2 overall in passing yards

Boyd #2 overall in receptions

Ross #1 overall in receiving yards

We cannot underestimate this team

Very true.   Conversely their running has been nil.    

Force him to pass against out sturdy backfield.

Force, allow pick your poison