Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sam Darnold is better at throwing the football accurately, or precisely, or whatever we’ve agreed to call it now. 

So far, this is true. Allen is a bigtime playmaker, but I remain extremely skeptical as to whether he'll ever become proficient enough in the short game/the easy completions. If he can't become at least PROFICIENT, it's just not gonna be what we all want it to be. I know it's not popular to question Josh, but that's the way I see it. I think we're gonna learn a ton about what we actually have THIS season. Do we have a playmaker who'll flash and make wow plays, but fail to grow as a quarterback, or do we have a franchise guy? I'm hoping for the latter. HOPING.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think they plan on re-signing Captain Munnerlyn after week 1. Veteran contracts are guaranteed before week 1. So Neal would only be an emergency CB for the Jets game. Beyond that I expect them to carry 4 outside corners, and it wouldn't surprise me if Neal is cut and added to the PS to make way for Munnerlyn.

No chance Neal is cut.  

Dean Marlowe would be my guess 

28 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So far, this is true. Allen is a bigtime playmaker, but I remain extremely skeptical as to whether he'll ever become proficient enough in the short game/the easy completions. If he can't become at least PROFICIENT, it's just not gonna be what we all want it to be. I know it's not popular to question Josh, but that's the way I see it. I think we're gonna learn a ton about what we actually have THIS season. Do we have a playmaker who'll flash and make wow plays, but fail to grow as a quarterback, or do we have a franchise guy? I'm hoping for the latter. HOPING.

Good post. 

I just think it's way to early to question Allen. The offense was SO limited in terms of personnel and talent at Ol, RB , TE and WR! 

Allen had Bodine snapping him the ball , Ducass and Mills on the SAME side of the line , throwing to guys like Benjamin, Holmes, Clay, Kerley, Deonte Thompson off the street, McKenzie off the street . We literally upgraded every position group on O , pretty drastically. 

If Ford is as good as I believe, we have one of the best ol in the AFC. Look around, teams are in rough shape.

OL

18 -Teller/Groy/Bodine/Ducass/Mills

19 - Spain/Morse/Feliciano/Ford/Ty  is a massive upgrade

TE

18 - Clay/Croom/Gragg/Logan Thomas

19 - Knox/Kroft/Sweeney/Smith is a massive upgrade

RB

18 - Banged up Shady/Ivory/Murphy

19 - Singletary/Gore/Yeldon is a massive upgrade

WR

18 - Benjamin/Zay/Kerley/Holmes/Thompson

19 - Brown/Beasely/Foster/Roberts/McKenzie/Zay  

Massive Upgrade

McKenzie and Foster came in week 10(?) last year. In the beginning Allen is throwing to KB,Holmes, Kerley. Disgusting! Then McKenzie and Thompson , 2 guys he never met! 

Everything around him is not just upgraded but massively upgraded . Huge talent differential. I just don't see how Allen doesn't make a jump. This is such an improved O , it's almost unbelievable when u see it on paper

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Good post. 

I just think it's way to early to question Allen.

I completely agree with the rest of your post, but I quibble with this. Since we haven't seen him do what he needs to do on a consistent basis, "questioning" is fair game. Questioning in this sense doesn't mean a declaration that he'll never get there. It simply means I'll believe it when I see it.

As the rest of your post spells out, the offensive roster was TRASH last season, so there is validity to the point that he didn't have a great chance to showcase what he can actually do. That much is true. And like I said, I think we're gonna find out this season what we have. The offensive roster has gone from bad to mediocre. In his second season with a mediocre supporting cast, he should be able to make strides in the area he struggled with last season. Nobody is expecting 50 TD's but it's fair game to want to see serious progress.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McDermotts proven he has no issues playing Jauron ball.

I'm curious what style of football you think should be played when your team is notably less talented than your opponent?

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Sam Darnold is better at throwing the football accurately, or precisely, or whatever we’ve agreed to call it now. 

Truth. But he still has to decode the D and  decide where to throw it.  He still has to set the protections and communicate with his center.

Also truth: that amounted to  3 more completions/game and  12 more YPG in his last 6 games than Allen's last 6 games.  He threw 2 fewer INTs.

The point is, they're both developing rookies who need to take a big step this year to show they can be The Man.  It's not as though Darnold was setting everyone's hair on fire Cam Newton style with his 220 ypg and 17 TD to 15 INTs while Allen was sitting at "needs ketchup"

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know that any of us have a clue what to expect from our offense.  

Jets defense is stout up the middle but lack EDGE, with weak Linebacker/Secondary play outside Mosley and Adams.  

Our OL will be playing together for the first time.  Good and bad there.  Bad, because we have to hope they gel quick.  Good, because there’s a decent amount of talent on our line.   

How will we use all the new weapons together... John Brown, Cole Beasley, Frank Gore, Devin Singletary.... what will the tight end spot look like?.. Do Zay and/or Foster make a jump?   Has Allen progressed enough to efficiently use the new weapons?  

In regards to the oline, the jets have the same issue. However, it’s a little worse cause there starting 5 haven’t even practiced together till this week. 

2 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

In regards to the oline, the jets have the same issue. However, it’s a little worse cause there starting 5 haven’t even practiced together till this week. 

Well, and the fact that it looks like we actually brought in GOOD players for the line, whereas they brought in...remains to be seen. Both lines were pretty bad last year, but ours was likely one of the worst ever. Seriously. 

11 hours ago, Mango said:

Allen has yet to really show he’s a QB who gets the ball out quickly or looks for the underneath routes. That doesn’t mean he can’t, it just mean he hasn’t yet. If that’s been the focus all offseason for him, we are about to get a good look at it week one.

I don’t know why, but I am having nightmares this week of a Doug Marrone offense/game plan, where we play a stout front 7 (like the Jets), and come out with a game plan to run right at it, like a bunch of a-holes. 

So you think our coaches are sub par then ?

Lets see what we have to work with. Year 1 2017 Tyrod Taylor / (R) Nate Peterman

Year 2 2018 Nate Peterman (R) Josh Allen, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley.

Year 3 2019 Josh Allen, Matt Barkley.

I hear it called Jauron Ball but you game plan to your strengths. Pass blocking and QB were not our strengths. Heck run blocking was not even a strength but we had McCoy.

Not sure if I call it Jauron ball. I think I might call it smart game planning given the state of the team in transition. 

I understand the concerns with a 2nd year Josh Allen, but he alone will determine how we game plan going forth. They'll give him plenty of rope to make plays, but JA is expected to read dissect and take what is given. If he can do that with some success the Bills will expand on that when game planning in the future

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

So you think our coaches are sub par then ?

Lets see what we have to work with. Year 1 2017 Tyrod Taylor / (R) Nate Peterman

Year 2 2018 Nate Peterman (R) Josh Allen, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley.

Year 3 2019 Josh Allen, Matt Barkley.

I hear it called Jauron Ball but you game plan to your strengths. Pass blocking and QB were not our strengths. Heck run blocking was not even a strength but we had McCoy.

Not sure if I call it Jauron ball. I think I might call it smart game planning given the state of the team in transition. 

I understand the concerns with a 2nd year Josh Allen, but he alone will determine how we game plan going forth. They'll give him plenty of rope to make plays, but JA is expected to read dissect and take what is given. If he can do that with some success the Bills will expand on that when game planning in the future

Relax dude, it was a little joke.

Do I think the Bills coaches are sub-par. Not necessarily. I do think they are a bit unproven to this point, going 9-7, willingly gutting the roster, then going 6-10. I understand what they are doing, just unsure if it will work or was the night decision.

McD does have a history here if being conservative with a bit of a run run pass offense, rarely passing on first down. I agree, some of that may come from personnel. But they’ve yet to show that one way or another as McD enters his third season. 

I have some concerns, but mostly a lot of question marks, and two seasons of watching them in red white and blue. But your assertion that I think they are bad or sub-par is a reach at best, and flat out wrong at worst. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Relax dude, it was a little joke.

Do I think the Bills coaches are sub-par. Not necessarily. I do think they are a bit unproven to this point, going 9-7, willingly gutting the roster, then going 6-10. I understand what they are doing, just unsure if it will work or was the night decision.

McD does have a history here if being conservative with a bit of a run run pass offense, rarely passing on first down. I agree, some of that may come from personnel. But they’ve yet to show that one way or another as McD enters his third season. 

I have some concerns, but mostly a lot of question marks, and two seasons of watching them in red white and blue. But your assertion that I think they are bad or sub-par is a reach at best, and flat out wrong at worst. 

Sorry scanned the pages came across the reply then came across scott laws reply to you agreeing to it so I placed a well thought out comment about it. Rather reply to this then that.

Not sure what I did in there that I would need to relax ? I didn't call you out, but its obviously you have concerns with the coaching, and I simple stated he works with what he has, and will open it up when he sees he has more. Its truly all on JA shoulders, and I've been saying that for a long time. We have a damn good D we have an improved O, if JA develops from last year into a 3500 yd 58% QB we will win games and we will see different game plans to match. 

SO to sum it up coaching and game planning options will be minimal if JA can't take it to the next level.

47 minutes ago, 5 Wide said:

Only problem I find is that 7PM is the 4am of day drinking

that's the best part!  throw down an early dinner, go into an alcohol induced food coma and get a full nights sleep.

if you're on vacation; rinse & repeat (chase that hangover!)

if it's the end of a weekend; pop two aspirin and go to work

when my buddies come down for a dive trip we always have a couple of days carved out for day drinking on the beach, then we shift to afternoon dive boats (in the keys the boat schedules are 9am and 1pm) and our dive profile is set depending on how hard we hit it the day before :)

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Say When... said:

that's the best part!  throw down an early dinner, go into an alcohol induced food coma and get a full nights sleep.

if you're on vacation; rinse & repeat (chase that hangover!)

if it's the end of a weekend; pop two aspirin and go to work

when my buddies come down for a dive trip we always have a couple of days carved out for day drinking on the beach, then we shift to afternoon dive boats (in the keys the boat schedules are 9am and 1pm) and our dive profile is set depending on how hard we hit it the day before :)

sweet name and avi...welcome aboard

what part of the keys?

We win if we stay alert and don’t have lapses in concentration.

Bills 31 jets 17 

Go Bills!!!

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So would we expect Trumaine Johnson to line up against John Brown?  Trumaine from what I heard has lost speed and gives a big cushion because he's afraid of getting beat over the top.  This is what I would expect to be our mismatch on the outside.

No, no way.  I expect that they'll put Darryl Roberts on Brown since he's the only guy that they have who's sub-4.4 and has decent recovery speed.

You can figure that they'll use inside combo coverages to try to limit Beasely; I sincerely doubt that they'll let Poole go 1-1 with him.  I'd expect that Adams will play an integral role in closing off space for Beasley to work inside.  My guess is that Trumaine draws Zay Jones or whoever is on the other boundary.  It would probably be a good idea to put Foster in several times and see if he can draw a 1-1 matchup with Trumaine, because that's a huge opportunity to smoke him deep.  I'd run mirror routes with Foster on a deep post and Brown on a fade. Assuming Maye has center-field duties, it's up to Josh to put him in conflict and get enough air under the ball.  Big opportunities in the deep passing game if we're willing to take our shots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

No, no way.  I expect that they'll put Darryl Roberts on Brown since he's the only guy that they have who's sub-4.4 and has decent recovery speed.

You can figure that they'll use inside combo coverages to try to limit Beasely; I sincerely doubt that they'll let Poole go 1-1 with him.  I'd expect that Adams will play an integral role in closing off space for Beasley to work inside.  My guess is that Trumaine draws Zay Jones or whoever is on the other boundary.  It would probably be a good idea to put Foster in several times and see if he can draw a 1-1 matchup with Trumaine, because that's a huge opportunity to smoke him deep.  I'd run mirror routes with Foster on a deep post and Brown on a fade. Assuming Maye has center-field duties, it's up to Josh to put him in conflict and get enough air under the ball.  Big opportunities in the deep passing game if we're willing to take our shots.

Do you take Brown if you see him singled up against Roberts?

Maybe this is a game in which Zay plays only 50% of the snaps or so because of your Robert Foster statement.  

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you take Brown if you see him singled up against Roberts?

Maybe this is a game in which Zay plays only 50% of the snaps or so because of your Robert Foster statement.  

Really all depends upon the leverage that the deep safety is playing. Unless you're talking Ed Reed or Earl Thomas, there's a really good chance that--assuming the QB puts him in conflict early in the route--he's going to show his cards by turning his hips. At that point the ball comes out to whichever WR is on the other side.  It's most likely going to be the guy running the fade route because that corner has the sideline to help limit the WR's space, but defenders do funny things when the pressure is on.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So would we expect Trumaine Johnson to line up against John Brown?  Trumaine from what I heard has lost speed and gives a big cushion because he's afraid of getting beat over the top.  This is what I would expect to be our mismatch on the outside.

Good...then Brown can blow right by him...smoke em!

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The cornerback position is extremely weak for the Jets.  Johnson is not the only weak spot.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

sweet name and avi...welcome aboard

what part of the keys?

I have a condo in Key Largo, that's where we spend most of our time as it's cheaper than a hotel, but we'll head to Key West for a day and a half and chill at a hotel.

we don't do it as often as we have in the past, usually was 2 weeks in the early summer and the Sept/Oct timeframe (my opinion is the best time for diving down here)

3 years ago i moved to Florida from Los Angeles and haven't looked back, right now i'm as far south as you can get with the entrance to the keys being a mile away from my home.

10 minutes ago, Say When... said:

I have a condo in Key Largo, that's where we spend most of our time as it's cheaper than a hotel, but we'll head to Key West for a day and a half and chill at a hotel.

we don't do it as often as we have in the past, usually was 2 weeks in the early summer and the Sept/Oct timeframe (my opinion is the best time for diving down here)

3 years ago i moved to Florida from Los Angeles and haven't looked back, right now i'm as far south as you can get with the entrance to the keys being a mile away from my home.

Love it. We've been out of Pennekamp a few times,  we would rent a house for a week in the keys every year, alternating between Marathon and Islamorada, but haven't been back since the hurricane.

8 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

there is a distinct difference between fresh and game shape; hopefully they confuse the two and Bell blows his wad in the first half.

there's running, blocking, cutting and getting hit; he's done none of that in over 600 days.

• Like (+1) 3