'Hawks deep in talks with Texans to acquire Clowney (the Trade is complete)

HOUSE

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A 3rd round pick for a rental of Clowney with loads of cap space? 

Im all for that. This is a big year for GM/HC combo.... at least it should be. Need to have a big year. Clowney transforms the defense.... but they are invested in Murphy, who stinks.

I don't think you understand that Clowney chose where he went. Houston screwed up. If they tried to trade him to a team he didn't want to play for he wouldn't have ever signed his tag. That's why Seattle got him for peanuts. He wanted to go there or Philly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah just saying the Bills have a pretty mediocre roster and could use a guy like Clowney.... but the regime seems comfortable with what they have. Hopefully they are right.?? 

I guess you still don't understand the Clowney situation. At this point I assume it's because you don't want to because it doesn't fit your narrative.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think you understand that Clowney chose where he went. Houston screwed up. If they tried to trade him to a team he didn't want to play for he wouldn't have ever signed his tag. That's why Seattle got him for peanuts. He wanted to go there or Philly.

So they call his bluff and they get a 3rd round pick when he leaves as a FA.  

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's a pretty below average team offensively with a solid defense that struggles to pressure the QB. 

Looks like a 7-8 win team to me due to the lack of offensive playmakers. Here's to hoping I'm wrong. ? 

You must be kidding.  Their front seven is unreal.  And they have Russell Wilson, Tyler Lockett and a great RB in Carson.  They are my NFC Super Bowl pick.

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's a pretty below average team offensively with a solid defense that struggles to pressure the QB. 

Looks like a 7-8 win team to me due to the lack of offensive playmakers. Here's to hoping I'm wrong. ? 

This. I’m a little more hopeful than you, but this is a team with *zero* upper-tier offensive players except maybe Morse, and he’s shaky given the concussion issue. I like Brown, but he’s no AJ Green. 

6 hours ago, mannc said:

You must be kidding.  Their front seven is unreal.  And they have Russell Wilson, Tyler Lockett and a great RB in Carson.  They are my NFC Super Bowl pick.

Yeah, I like them for the SB too.  They are a good team.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Their front 7 isn't very good outside of Clowney to be honest.

In fact, their D is largely suspect IMO.

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills do not have a "mediocre" roster on defense.....the Roster is actually pretty good.

I always enjoy watching you two go back and forth. It’s like Superman vs Lex Luthor or Batman vs the Joker. For the record I tend to see things your way. Particularly in this instance. I would of loved Clowney for a similar deal the Seahawks got. Fact is he wasn’t coming here. Beane values a third round pick to much for a guy who tells him, you got me for a season. Not to mention nothing about Clowney’s behavior this off-season  points to a team first type of guy.

i like the talent on D. I think they are building something the next several seasons. Not to mention maybe Johnson can develop into something special. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Their front 7 isn't very good outside of Clowney to be honest.

In fact, their D is largely suspect IMO.

So you don’t like Bobby Wagner or Jarran Reed?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm talking about the Bills.

Well, I disagree about that too...

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Jarran Reed was ok as a rookie; though I thought I saw that he fell out of favor recently.

Wagner is great. You need more than he and Clowney though 

Reed was way better than OK.  As a third year player last year, he had 10.5 sacks as an interior lineman and generally wreaked havoc.  He did not “fall out of favor”; he’s on a six game “personal conduct” suspension to start this year.

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Texans paid 7 mil bonus. Seattle is paying 8 mil salary and promised not to tag him. 

On the surface of it this is one of the most one-sided trades in NFL history.

Texans somehow got less than last minute fire-sale value for Clowney and Clowney's agent no doubt negotiated terms of a long term extension while he was not "technically" employed by him.

I wonder if Clowney was just anti-Buffalo or if maybe Buffalo was afraid to try to circumvent the rules to get his done.  

The Seahawks FO is known to be unscrupulous but all is fair if you don't get caught.    We'd be praising Beane up and down if he did this deal.

I could see Houston filing a grievance about this next winter and maybe even Seattle losing a high pick...........owner's aren't going to like this tactic..........the "no-negotiation after that point in July" thing is there to protect teams and force players to sign.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How were we not in this for a 3 and half his salary.

even if he walks we’d get a 3 compensatory 

Worst case was a free half price rental 

Because he wouldn't have signed the tag. He wanted to go to Philly or Seattle. There was no alternative. Could we have even traded for him if he didn't sign the tag? I'm not sure how that works. If Houston had traded him months ago someone, maybe us, could have negotiated a long term deal as part of the trade. But now he has all the control.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Clowney's agent no doubt negotiated terms of a long term extension while he was not "technically" employed by him.

I doubt that. He can't sign an extension until after the season. There's nothing to negotiate on until they see how he does there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Because he wouldn't have signed the tag. He wanted to go to Philly or Seattle. There was no alternative. Could we have even traded for him if he didn't sign the tag? I'm not sure how that works. If Houston had traded him months ago someone, maybe us, could have negotiated a long term deal as part of the trade. But now he has all the control.

I doubt that. He can't sign an extension until after the season. There's nothing to negotiate on until they see how he does there.

Why exactly do you think he was so set on two random second tier contenders in cold-weather cities?

They had expressed the willingness to give him a long term deal.

Yeah he has to play well and stay healthy but he could also put up a huge season and INCREASE his market.............I just think they've agreed to agree on parameters.

I mean why do you think the whole charade with the agent firing and re-hiring happened?   :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

On the surface of it this is one of the most one-sided trades in NFL history.

Texans somehow got less than last minute fire-sale value for Clowney and Clowney's agent no doubt negotiated terms of a long term extension while he was not "technically" employed by him.

I wonder if Clowney was just anti-Buffalo or if maybe Buffalo was afraid to try to circumvent the rules to get his done.  

The Seahawks FO is known to be unscrupulous but all is fair if you don't get caught.    We'd be praising Beane up and down if he did this deal.

I could see Houston filing a grievance about this next winter and maybe even Seattle losing a high pick...........owner's aren't going to like this tactic..........the "no-negotiation after that point in July" thing is there to protect teams and force players to sign.

Very few players are in a position to truly dictate where they want to go in a trade scenario. I could easily imagine Clowney, through his agent, backing the Texans as well as the Seahawks into a corner, saying I won't go here or there, I won't go if they tag me, etc.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why exactly do you think he was so set on two random second tier contenders in cold-weather cities?

Because that's what every report has said. Unless you think everyone made it up? He wanted to play for an immediate Super Bowl contender and Philly and Seattle were reportedly the teams he liked. Do you really think Houston couldn't have gotten better than a 3rd? They backed themselves into a corner. He would have been in Miami weeks ago if he didn't control his destination. I'm disappointed because I wanted him badly but the choice wasn't ours.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Very few players are in a position to truly dictate where they want to go in a trade scenario. I could easily imagine Clowney, through his agent, backing the Texans as well as the Seahawks into a corner, saying I won't go here or there, I won't go if they tag me, etc.

No doubt.

But I think it was more the Seahawks and Clowney backing the Texans into a corner.

One thing about any Pete Carroll lead organization is that they are going to break any rule they think they can get away with and some they don't if the fine is tenable.

It's been a big advantage for them...........nobody plays both sides of the fence with players like them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No doubt.

But I think it was more the Seahawks and Clowney backing the Texans into a corner.

One thing about any Pete Carroll lead organization is that they are going to break any rule they think they can get away with and some they don't if the fine is tenable.

It's been a big advantage for them...........nobody plays both sides of the fence with players like them.

Yep. A bit of both. Plus it's a great place for Clowney to play. He maybe won't get 10 sacks but he is going to be a terror on a winning team, and dominant defense, and then likely get his huge deal where he pleases.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Because that's what every report has said. Unless you think everyone made it up? He wanted to play for an immediate Super Bowl contender and Philly and Seattle were reportedly the teams he liked. Do you really think Houston couldn't have gotten better than a 3rd? They backed themselves into a corner. He would have been in Miami weeks ago if he didn't control his destination. I'm disappointed because I wanted him badly but the choice wasn't ours.

I wanted the Bills to get him too and I was pretty correct on his trade worth from the start.............but you are barking up the wrong tree if you think I am just discussing this because I am disappointed........I just find this fascinating...........and the fact that the "other" team that everyone knows cheats at every opportunity is right in the middle of it.

One thing is for sure..........if ADHD was holding Clowney back its no longer a problem now that he's a Hawk.:lol:

31 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Clowney held all the cards in this matter and reports indicated that Seattle or Philly were the only two teams that he would go to.  Even if Beane wanted Clowney it was still up to Clowney and the answer was no.  Why do people not get this?

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The reports were those teams along with Miami were interested in trading for him and based on that he wanted to go to Seattle or Philly and didn't want to go to Miami.... There were some rumblings the Bills were interested and that was then shot down by a few local reporters who inquired.... I'm just perplexed why the Bills WERE NOT interested. Considering what the end compensation was, this would've be an absolute no brainer from the Bills perspective. 

All the reports I had read the last few weeks never included the Bills as being a team in on him.

I don't know where all the reports of interest from the Bills came from.

But either way, he wanted to go to Seattle or Philly and like Miami, weren't going to get him no matter what was offered

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually not true at all.

Those were the reports of teams inquiring along with Miami. He didn't want to go to Miami, so of the teams inquiring he wanted either Philly or Seattle.

He wanted to go to a Super Bowl contender. Even the optimistic Bills fans don't think a Super Bowl is in the cards this year. It wasn't happening.

35 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Like I said it's very reasonable to suspect that there was some potentially fine-able back door dealing, IMO.

I'm not sure The Pegs would sign off on undermining their fellow owners by circumventing the rules of negotiation that were put in place to force players to sign their franchise tender or else.    That's a negotiating chip that the players just showed they can now circumvent.

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The reports were those teams along with Miami were interested in trading for him and based on that he wanted to go to Seattle or Philly and didn't want to go to Miami.... There were some rumblings the Bills were interested and that was then shot down by a few local reporters who inquired.... I'm just perplexed why the Bills WERE NOT interested. Considering what the end compensation was, this would've be an absolute no brainer from the Bills perspective. 

Are you really perplexed? I find that hard to believe when you already know full well that it’s all because McBeane are completely incompetent at their jobs. And you’ve known this for over two years now. You aren’t perplexed by this at all. 

How long before the incessant whining about losing another player we never had begins? Or has that started already?

Edited by K-9
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Never said they were completely incompetent though they've certainly had their moments of incompetence much like you've had your moments of ridiculous outbursts.?

Are you whining at the fans again? 

Fans? No.