Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Cian Fahey: Robert Foster looks like odd man out at WR, Teams should try to trade for him

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

 

Nope. At least please no.

 

There is nothing wrong with having two WR’s that can take the top off of a defense. Especially if one gets hurt.

 

IMO, trading  Foster would be dumb.

 

There isn’t. And he’s worth a good bit. Hence I’m not talking picks. But if he’s a legit 4 on our depth chart I’d think twice about a starting caliber TE, or a pass rusher opposite Hughes (what pick would foster/Shaq need with them for a clowney for instance).  

 

I’m only doing some devils advocate work here. It would take far too many items lining up to make it anything substantially possible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

There isn’t. And he’s worth a good bit. Hence I’m not talking picks. But if he’s a legit 4 on our depth chart I’d think twice about a starting caliber TE, or a pass rusher opposite Hughes (what pick would foster/Shaq need with them for a clowney for instance).  

 

I’m only doing some devils advocate work here. It would take far too many items lining up to make it anything substantially possible 

 

Again the issue is how long are Brown and Beasley going to be able to produce for the Bills?  If either or both don't live up to their deals, he/they are one-and-done.  And then you're trying to replace 2 or 3 WR's next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

 

Fosters still a decent risk and it miiiight be a chance to kick in value at his highest point if you aren’t sure of him. 

 

I do think that he’s a much better candidate for a player swap than a draft pick though. Even that’s tough though. Does a team like KC maybe take a shot at him being their deep threat and what type of immediate talent do you have to get back as a GM to risk the possibility of foster exploding there?  A lot has to line up to even start the discussion 

It would make more sense if Hill was likely to receive a longer suspension or even find himself on the chopping block. Right now, it LOOKS like 4 games.

 

On another note, I think I'd be extremely hesitant to trade offensive personnel to Andy Reid. If the Chiefs are in the market for Foster, I'm probably even more inclined to keep him.

 

I think it's within the real of possibility that Foster was a flash in the pan, but I don't believe that to be the case. As the overwhelming number of posters have stated, even if a 2nd year receiver with tons of talent is relegated to 4th WR, why are you getting rid of him? It's not like we're looking at some huge haul for his services at this point in his career.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Prediction, Robert Foster is the clear #1 in Buffalo by year end.

 

Think James Lofton.

 

I think Buffalo sets packages depending on down and distance.

No one is the '#1 WR' which is the way many teams are trending.

 

Mid situations (10 yds) Foster and Zay outside, Beasley in the slot

long situation (15 yds+ to first down) Brown and Foster on the outside, Jones or Beasley in the slot, catching RB like Yeldon in the backfield.

Bad situation (20+ yds) 4 WR, Jones and Brown outside, Jones and Beasley in the slots, HOF RB in the backfield

I formation Brown or Foster outside, Jones on the other, HOF RB in the backfield

 

Injury to Brown? Jones outside, Beasley slot

Injury to Foster? Jones outside, Beasley slot

Injury to Jones? Brown and Foster outside, Beasley slot

Injury to Beasley, Brown and Foster outside, Jones in slot

 

win, win, win, win

 

A huge improvement and depth to WR.

 

McDermott has already said, many times, he does not want a '#1' who needs to be fed. As a DC this makes sense.

If there is a clear #1 it is easy to try to game plan for that #1 (not easy to shut down unless you have Tre White :) )

 

If there are 3-4 capable WR and no one that need to be fed, who do you try to close down?

In this case the goal is disrupting the QB, but JA can run, and proved it. Take away JA's 1+2 read and he scrambles.

 

Buffalo is not allowing a #1 WR to key on, but will line up 2-4 capable WR every play.

Without a single WR to key on, the key is JA, and JA can do damage in that situation.

 

It's a DC controlling offense by doing what DCs fear the most.

Throwing waves of situation dependent formations and WR depth with 4 x 500-1k WRs.

 

They are at least 4 deep in 500-1k WRs. Two long bomb targets to emphasize JA's strength and 2 slot guys.

Two of them can play inside out (Jones and Brown)

 

Then we have wild cards in McKenzie, Duke, Roberts and Sills.

Add in pass catching RB TJ Yeldon, and 2 HOF RBs in Gore and Shady.

 

I see 7 WR on this team, with Daboll being able to mix up packages based on the situation.

 

There is no AB, or Julio Jones etc that needs to be fed every down.

 

spread em out, and pick your poison, kind of like GB and New England do

 

The key now is Josh Allen.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

It would make more sense if Hill was likely to receive a longer suspension or even find himself on the chopping block. Right now, it LOOKS like 4 games.

 

On another note, I think I'd be extremely hesitant to trade offensive personnel to Andy Reid. If the Chiefs are in the market for Foster, I'm probably even more inclined to keep him.

 

I think it's within the real of possibility that Foster was a flash in the pan, but I don't believe that to be the case. As the overwhelming number of posters have stated, even if a 2nd year receiver with tons of talent is relegated to 4th WR, why are you getting rid of him? It's not like we're looking at some huge haul for his services at this point in his career.

 

As ive said... it would take a lot...

 

A) team thinks he’s not the guy we saw last November long term so he is max value before he suits up again and want to cash out

 

and/or

 

B) they can add an immediate quality starter instead of enjoying his depth 

 

I’m all for excellent depth and your 4th wr plays a lot. He could be a guy to move though, in a perfect situation. 90% of the roster is unlikely to be traded but could be if stars aligned though.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

 

As ive said... it would take a lot...

 

A) team thinks he’s not the guy we saw last November long term so he is max value before he suits up again and want to cash out

 

and/or

 

B) they can add an immediate quality starter instead of enjoying his depth 

 

I’m all for excellent depth and your 4th wr plays a lot. He could be a guy to move though, in a perfect situation. 90% of the roster is unlikely to be traded but could be if stars aligned though.

I think the team and the fans will learn quite a bit more about Foster in camp and the preseason games. Is he the guy making big plays left and right or is he the guy who was undrafted and cut? I happen to believe in Foster, but needless to say, very important camp for RF. I understand what you're driving at; if they think he was a flash in the pan and some team makes a nice offer, you consider it. That would really come down to how the team view's him as a prospect. He definitely developed a nice rapport with Allen and that's important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The premise of odd man out is not far fetched from a non Bills fan , who knows not how Foster turned his game around last year.And seems to have become  a favorite target of Josh.


Most of Us know the back story and are Foster Fans.

 weird having so much potential at WR.

 I myself find it hard to find good trade value for him anyway. if he plays well preseason the Bills will wish to keep him.

 

also on my mind is developing your youth. Robert fits that role well. If Bills have some red flags on him ( ?? ) then it is another story of course.

But he seems the McBeane prototypical player to me.

 go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doc said:

 

Again the issue is how long are Brown and Beasley going to be able to produce for the Bills?  If either or both don't live up to their deals, he/they are one-and-done.  And then you're trying to replace 2 or 3 WR's next year.

Wait... Brown, and Beasley might equal three WRs?

Regardless, what's the point in looking at it like this? Every team, every year, might lose one, or more WRs for myriad reasons, be it production, injury, FA, or what have you. Be that as it may, the draft at WR is reportedly very deep next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Foster and Jones start with Beasely serving as the slot WR.  Brown will sub in and get almost as much playing time as Foster and Jones.  We finally have depth at WR.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think the team and the fans will learn quite a bit more about Foster in camp and the preseason games. Is he the guy making big plays left and right or is he the guy who was undrafted and cut? I happen to believe in Foster, but needless to say, very important camp for RF. I understand what you're driving at; if they think he was a flash in the pan and some team makes a nice offer, you consider it. That would really come down to how the team view's him as a prospect. He definitely developed a nice rapport with Allen and that's important.

 

Yup.

 

and frankly the risk of potentially trading Antonio Brown for a decent tight end is enough to make it very hard to move him even if you are a bold GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Wait... Brown, and Beasley might equal three WRs?

Regardless, what's the point in looking at it like this? Every team, every year, might lose one, or more WRs for myriad reasons, be it production, injury, FA, or what have you. Be that as it may, the draft at WR is reportedly very deep next year. 

 

I’m saying that if Brown and Beasley don’t live up to expectations and are cut after a year and the Bills trade Foster now, they’ll need to look for three wide receivers potentially next year.   Trading Foster makes no sense because he’s talented, young and cheap for the next three seasons. And there’s also Zay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

I’m saying that if Brown and Beasley don’t live up to expectations and are cut after a year and the Bills trade Foster now, they’ll need to look for three wide receivers potentially next year.   Trading Foster makes no sense because he’s talented, young and cheap for the next three seasons. And there’s also Zay. 

I agree with this. I assumed that barring some really great, and completely unlikely trade scenario, the foolishness of trading Foster was a given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Doc said:

 

Again the issue is how long are Brown and Beasley going to be able to produce for the Bills?  If either or both don't live up to their deals, he/they are one-and-done.  And then you're trying to replace 2 or 3 WR's next year.

 

I’d hope that if he’s 4 they are playing well. If they are trash and he still can’t get on the field, I’m not sure you are keeping him either, doc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’d hope that if he’s 4 they are playing well. If they are trash and he still can’t get on the field, I’m not sure you are keeping him either, doc.

 

If they aren’t playing well, he’ll see the field. If he sucks then all bets are off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think Foster and Jones start with Beasely serving as the slot WR.  Brown will sub in and get almost as much playing time as Foster and Jones.  We finally have depth at WR.

Brown and Foster might be interchangeable in packages. But Brown is the guy Bills went after.Beasley is locked and can move around.

 Jones is the other guy. honestly do not know what role he will fill. But he too will get bounced inside and outside i suspect , depending on package  an matchups of course.

 your point about Browns reps as compared to Fosters and even Jones is ideal if all goes as planned 

: )
i suspect "Smokey" is the darling of Chad Hall  lol
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Brown and Foster might be interchangeable in packages. But Brown is the guy Bills went after.Beasley is locked and can move around.

 Jones is the other guy. honestly do not know what role he will fill. But he too will get bounced inside and outside i suspect , depending on package  an matchups of course.

 your point about Browns reps as compared to Fosters and even Jones is ideal if all goes as planned 

: )
i suspect "Smokey" is the darling of Chad Hall  lol
 

Yea. If there's one guy I'd trade it would be Jones.... just don't think there is much value there.

 

Just not a fan of Jones. Too many drops and doesn't really do anything all that well. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...could be and I don't get to see college ball so I'll value your assessment......better point may be whose radar was Foster actually on coming out of 'Bama?.....always surprises out there versus the perceived "obvious"......

When Foster was at Bama, Jalen Hurts was the QB. Jalen is a decent (not great) passer. Calvin Ridley was the primary receiver and was usually open by a mile, even against top SEC secondaries. Additionally, the Tide had very good blockers, mega talented TEs, and a stable full of running backs. Now toss in an injury or 2 and Foster wasn't going to get many snaps. Given the above, the fact that every single team passed on him was a surprise to many, but not completely shocking.

 

When the Bills picked up Foster and Wallace, a few of us here who are Alabama Fans were posting that these were good players. Others said no which is no big deal. Time and again I have posted the names of players I was completely wrong about (Rob Johnson leading the parade).

 

I suggest that you tape an Alabama game or 2 this season if for no other reason (and there are plenty), to watch their wide receivers. If you do, be sure to let me know what you think.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Bills would let a young, talented WR go, especially when it's a position where injuries are pretty common, they're extremely dumb.

Hopefully it's just the writer who's dumb, because Foster has the talent to be our best WR, not just a backup. We might've paid a decent chunk of money for some FA's to come in, but can you really see someone like Beasley becoming a legit #1? No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone look: Someone said something on Twitter!

 

Posting other people’s opinions is not news (sorry media outlets). 

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think Foster and Jones start with Beasely serving as the slot WR.  Brown will sub in and get almost as much playing time as Foster and Jones.  We finally have depth at WR.

Brown is absolutely going to be a starter. His contract and skill set for Allen will dictate this. The only way he doesn’t start is an injury, which def can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:05 AM, Doc said:

 

I’m saying that if Brown and Beasley don’t live up to expectations and are cut after a year and the Bills trade Foster now, they’ll need to look for three wide receivers potentially next year.   Trading Foster makes no sense because he’s talented, young and cheap for the next three seasons. And there’s also Zay. 

 

Without meaning to I think you with the bolded have summed up the receiver situation...... Brown 😀 Beasley 😀Foster 😀....... oh, and there's also Zay...... 😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, Bill from NYC said:

When Foster was at Bama, Jalen Hurts was the QB. Jalen is a bad decent (not awful great) passer. Calvin Ridley was the primary receiver and was usually open by a mile, even against top SEC secondaries. Additionally, the Tide had very good blockers, mega talented TEs, and a stable full of running backs. Now toss in an injury or 2 and Foster wasn't going to get many snaps. Given the above, the fact that every single team passed on him was a surprise to many, but not completely shocking.

 

When the Bills picked up Foster and Wallace, a few of us here who are Alabama Fans were posting that these were good players. Others said no which is no big deal. Time and again I have posted the names of players I was completely wrong about (Rob Johnson leading the parade).

 

I suggest that you tape an Alabama game or 2 this season if for no other reason (and there are plenty), to watch their wide receivers. If you do, be sure to let me know what you think.

 

FIFY ☺️

 

I admit to being a bit sceptical of Foster last year (not when we signed him but during the pre-season games when he looked totally lost). I always thought Levi Wallace was a good pickup - but I expected him to be a serviceable starter or a solid depth guy. How well he played at the end of last year surprised even me and I liked the signing. If he can repeat that form in 2019 and we found a guy who is a legitimate good starting outside corner as an UDFA then you have to say that is exceptional personnel work. I wonder how much input Daboll had in that? Clearly he played a role in Foster but having coached against Wallace in practice I wonder if he at least put a word in McDermott and Beane's direction for the kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...