Matt Miller says the Bills are targeting Ed Oliver at 9

HOUSE

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

KW lasted so long by diving thru gaps rather than trying to wrestle with much bigger OL.    When he was asked to tie up blockers he got planted on his face more often than not so fortunately he was smart and instinctive and able to stay low so the gap shooting was "on the whole" a real positive.   He is rightfully sainted for coming from a warm climate and staying with a moribund franchise in a cold one when he did not have to...........but that's not the ceiling of Ed Oliver.     Ed Oliver is an All Pro talent rather than a sneaky, underrated pro bowl guy like Kyle.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

KW lasted so long by diving thru gaps rather than trying to wrestle with much bigger OL.    When he was asked to tie up blockers he got planted on his face more often than not so fortunately he was smart and instinctive and able to stay low so the gap shooting was "on the whole" a real positive.   He is rightfully sainted for coming from a warm climate and staying with a moribund franchise in a cold one when he did not have to...........but that's not the ceiling of Ed Oliver.     Ed Oliver is an All Pro talent rather than a sneaky, underrated pro bowl guy like Kyle.  

I pretty much think the same thing, I mentioned it just a few minutes ago in another thread.   Oliver's athletic ceiling is considerably higher than Kyle's and his motor is on par with him as well.  Kyle is just a wiley and crafty player with monstrous tenacity.  He's a leader of men.   That is an unknown with Oliver but the athleticism, first step and motor scream All Pro talent.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2019 at 9:56 AM, Reed83HOF said:

I am 100% certain this is our guy - it's about finding a trade partner that is palatable. TB, NYG are my targets

On 4/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Need to see who the Jets trade back with, and then jump them if that's the goal.

Absolute lunacy. 

"Their facilities are amazing" "Top notch". Says he might have to watch some film on the now-retired Kyle Williams to see how he lasted in the league so long. They scheme great, it fits me , they need a 3 technique. Also says they have a unique opportunity where a guy retired and they need someone to come in and play right away, it would be a blessing

On 4/23/2019 at 12:56 PM, Reed83HOF said:

I am 100% certain this is our guy - it's about finding a trade partner that is palatable. TB, NYG are my targets

Trade partner for what?  I’d be worried about Oliver’s lack of weight and arm length at 9.  No way would I trade up for him.  I don’t see anyone in this class that I’d trade up for.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Didn't KW go to the pro bowl the same year he played nose in a 3-4?  I think it was during Gailey's tenure.  

Granted it's just the pro bowl, but he could take up space and blockers when asked.  

2 minutes ago, Capco said:

Didn't KW go to the pro bowl the same year he played nose in a 3-4?  I think it was during Gailey's tenure.  

Granted it's just the pro bowl, but he could take up space and blockers when asked.  

Agree here.   He played both the 1 and the 3 more than fine.   The guy was a six time pro bowler.  All the sneaky lunch pail stuff is for the birds.

I am pretty sure if you told any GM picking in the Top ten that Ed Oliver would have a career like Kyle Williams they would be all over it.  There is no such thing as a college player with "All Pro Talent"  You dont know a thing about their talent besides it popped on tape against inferior players.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Capco said:

He did but was somewhat less than responsible as a NT. :flirt:

He piled up 77 tackles one year..........you don't do that two-gapping and absorbing double teams and there were plenty of times when he instead guessed wrong and shot gaps and huge holes opened up.

That was really the only stretch during his career where he had vocal critics...........the tape didn't lie he was not sound.........but sound wasn't going to work either.

Just utter stupidity on the Bills part trying to force that personnel into a 3-4 front.

He also lost most of a season in the middle of that and it may have taken a toll on those achilles he had to have detached and re-attached.   Guy should have never been out of position like that.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Trade partner for what?  I’d be worried about Oliver’s lack of weight and arm length at 9.  No way would I trade up for him.  I don’t see anyone in this class that I’d trade up for.

I'm pretty sure we are very high on Oliver and I think if Beane has a realistic shot of getting up to him, he will. At #9 I'm really thinking it is between Wilkins and Williams

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:44 AM, buffaloboyinATL said:

Apparently we need to lock him in a room with SI's Gary Gramling (whoever that is) who said we are targeting DK Metcalf, and let them fight it out.

Gramling was making an argument. He's smart, funny and great with stats and spreadsheets and that kind of thing. But Gramling doesn't have a lot of NFL contacts.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Kyle wasn't all that sneaky. He was very fast and strong for his size. He was an excellent penetrator.

Oliver is also a penetrator, and apparently a better one, but you are underestimating Kyle here.

I don't see Oliver as all-pro. He'll be up against Quinnen Williams among many others and Quinnen is generally considered better.

But I'd love to see Oliver in a Bills uniform, I think he's going to be very very good.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He did but was somewhat less than responsible as a NT. :flirt:

He piled up 77 tackles one year..........you don't do that two-gapping and absorbing double teams and there were plenty of times when he instead guessed wrong and shot gaps and huge holes opened up.

That was really the only stretch during his career where he had vocal critics...........the tape didn't lie he was not sound.........but sound wasn't going to work either.

Just utter stupidity on the Bills part trying to force that personnel into a 3-4 front.

He also lost most of a season in the middle of that and it may have taken a toll on those achilles he had to have detached and re-attached.   Guy should have never been out of position like that.

The tape didn't lie. But the way people read the tape was very very wrong. Our DL was so bad except for him that when he'd penetrate his gap someone else's gap would be open so the RB could get away. Yeah, people criticized him at that time. It didn't make any sense then or now.

I won't argue that he shouldn't have been there. But even there, he played well.

On 4/21/2019 at 5:36 AM, maryland-bills-fan said:

Have you noticed the FA signings?

You think a couple mid-tier WR's and a total of 0 elite linemen have us set?

You're right. Stop the presses! The Bills have finally done it. We won FA (again) and we can now afford to just grab whatever BPA falls our way. When your roster is as stacked as our's, who can blame them? The team that has one playoff appearance in 20 years, and an offense consistently in the bottom 5 of the league the past several years has really turned the corner with this FA crop.

We've finally reached the pinnacle of the mountain.

• Sad 1

• SDS locked this topic