DirecTV/NFL relationship developing cracks, could impact draft coverage and NFL ticket

Been a DirecTV subscriber since the Bronze Age. Sunday Ticket (with its access to Bills' games) was the draw. But the past few years, I find that I've been recording the games while getting on with my life on Sunday afternoons. I check the final score. Bills win and I'll watch. Bills lose and I hit delete. 

I don't have any real issues with customer service, but if the Sunday Ticket package becomes available on another platform, I'm done with DTV. 

Their pricing is getting ridiculous, but my wife's employer partially subsidizes the cost (as well as the cost of our internet connection,  Netflix and other streaming services, and her cell phone), so I can't grouse too much. But like I said, if Sunday Ticket goes, so do I.

8 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Been a DirecTV subscriber since the Bronze Age. Sunday Ticket (with its access to Bills' games) was the draw. But the past few years, I find that I've been recording the games while getting on with my life on Sunday afternoons. I check the final score. Bills win and I'll watch. Bills lose and I hit delete. 

I don't have any real issues with customer service, but if the Sunday Ticket package becomes available on another platform, I'm done with DTV. 

Their pricing is getting ridiculous, but my wife's employer partially subsidizes the cost (as well as the cost of our internet connection,  Netflix and other streaming services, and her cell phone), so I can't grouse too much. But like I said, if Sunday Ticket goes, so do I.

Why not just get NFL Game Pass?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Wow ... you are a screen junkie.... :D 

Football junkie!

41 minutes ago, dubs said:

I just do DirecTV Now. It’s like 40 bucks a month, inc HBO. Sometimes the app is a little buggy, but other than that, it’s v solid. 

That’s the service that just lost NFLN (for now) ... I need my NFLN! 

• Like (+1) 2

In recent years I have spent more time on NFLN than ESPN during the draft. I hope they can kiss and make up before the magical day we have all been waiting for. Mayock is gone, but I still like options. 

Oh, and if the DO figure it out, can we PLEASE not BOTH go to commercial when the Bills are picking? UGH! 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Football junkie!

That’s the service that just lost NFLN (for now) ... I need my NFLN! 

I noticed that tonight. Weird. Tried to throw on Path to the Draft and some weird web address came up. 

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Sling is good, but you should consider YouTubeTV. They offer local channels without the need for an antenna and they have quite a few promos.

I looked into youtube tv. They don't have the NFL Network and that is a must for me. I watch that channel religiously lol. It's like a catch 22. Sling doesn't have the local channels but has NFL Network and youtube doesn't have NFL Network but has the local channels lol. I just bought the antenna today but I can't get it working. I'm not sure what I need to be doing. I hooked the antenna cable to the back of the tv but no matter what input I put my tv on, I don't get a menu or anything to set my antenna up. It might be because I'm still using the Directv remotes which I still have? The TV is old and I can't find the original remote. Maybe something isn't hooked up right somewhere in my house as far as my cable wires?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

Yeah I read it. Just going off history. Every time we get excited direct tv will lose the contract as it comes up for renewal, and we dream it will be available on other platforms like Canada has, at last minute, direct tv swoops back in and makes offer NFL can not refuse.

Yep. They HAVE to. Nothing else they offer is worth the trouble. Lose Sunday Ticket, shutter up the joint.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. They HAVE to. Nothing else they offer is worth the trouble. Lose Sunday Ticket, shutter up the joint.

This is truth.  It's why they basically give it away to their subscribers as well (if you work a little bit for it).

I've been a DTV guy for 25 (crap, I'm old) years.  I still like it but I'd be happy to switch over to Google TV or something else eventually.  When DTV does lose the Ticket, or it becomes available in a reliable way over another platform that doesn't require a DTV subscription, I'll likely switch.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Me too. I have 6 TVs including one outside and I want to easily put on any game at any time on any of them. I don’t care about the cost of nfl ticket and have no reason to “cut the cord” - I’m all about ease and just want my channels without hassle. But directv is pricey and I will just follow wherever the nfl ticket goes. I also love being able to watch the Ticket on my phone.

I wanna hang witchoo on Sundays in the Fall!

I have DTV and my NFL network is still working?  Hope they don’t shut it down because I don’t have ESPN.

DTV has been good to me as a traveling military member and now as a government contractor.  If they try to jack my costs up tho I’m out of it.  

The only reason i have it is because of Sunday ticket. The day that goes I’m losing the dish.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Me too. I have 6 TVs including one outside and I want to easily put on any game at any time on any of them. I don’t care about the cost of nfl ticket and have no reason to “cut the cord” - I’m all about ease and just want my channels without hassle. But directv is pricey and I will just follow wherever the nfl ticket goes. I also love being able to watch the Ticket on my phone.

Yep, this is pretty much me as well.

I think Sunday Ticket is the only thing keeping DirecTV around. It's literally the only reason I still have mine. Just seems so dated. Horrible customer service. And you can't watch when weather is crappy? Seriously feels like something from the 90's.

2 minutes ago, R Y G A R said:

I think Sunday Ticket is the only thing keeping DirecTV around. It's literally the only reason I still have mine. Just seems so dated. Horrible customer service. And you can't watch when weather is crappy? Seriously feels like something from the 90's.

Exactly! Save us, Roger!

19 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

This. Over-saturation of streaming services is a thing. When there's no more cable or satellite, MANY people will miss the good ol' days... As they cycle through sources on their TV input, going to the device that has one of the 8 streaming services they subscribe to and pay separately each month. It's already bad and it's going to get much worse.

And I'm a millennial btw.

Integration with virtual assistants will probably eliminate a fair amount of the clutter as we move forward. We’re still not there yet, but that seems to be where things are trending. Some of these streaming services will probably disappear or consolidate over time as well. Gonna be an interesting decade as all of this tech evolves. 

As for myself... I’m pretty content with Netflix (standard), Amazon, Hulu (limited ads), and Spectrum Choice with HBO. I used most of my 10 choice channels for sports programming. That said, spectrum choice isn’t something the company advertises. You have to request it, and they kind of spam you in an effort to get you to upgrade. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I looked into youtube tv. They don't have the NFL Network and that is a must for me. I watch that channel religiously lol. It's like a catch 22. Sling doesn't have the local channels but has NFL Network and youtube doesn't have NFL Network but has the local channels lol. I just bought the antenna today but I can't get it working. I'm not sure what I need to be doing. I hooked the antenna cable to the back of the tv but no matter what input I put my tv on, I don't get a menu or anything to set my antenna up. It might be because I'm still using the Directv remotes which I still have? The TV is old and I can't find the original remote. Maybe something isn't hooked up right somewhere in my house as far as my cable wires?

Antenna's are tricky. I had no luck back in PA, but have very few problems here in Vegas. I doubt it's the remote because even the DTV remote allows you to change HDMI/INPUT. The one I have now was a little more expensive, but I can't remember the model and all it say's is "Made in Taiwan." I would take the Antenna back and try a different one, and just return that as well if it doesn't work. Like I said, they are tricky. No idea if this one would have worked back in PA.

19 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Antenna's are tricky. I had no luck back in PA, but have very few problems here in Vegas. I doubt it's the remote because even the DTV remote allows you to change HDMI/INPUT. The one I have now was a little more expensive, but I can't remember the model and all it say's is "Made in Taiwan." I would take the Antenna back and try a different one, and just return that as well if it doesn't work. Like I said, they are tricky. No idea if this one would have worked back in PA.

Do you know which input I should have it on?

4 hours ago, nucci said:

I sincerely hope it goes to a cable provider, i dont want to have to subscribe to yet another streaming service just to watch the bills. I would not mind if it went to comcast or better yet, Verizon (fastest and best internet).  Then i would not have to lose service during every freaking snow storm or severe t storm.

You know its funny, the first 3-4 years i had direc tv i lost service like once. Last 5 years or so, i lose service like 4-5 times a year....

On 4/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, YoloinOhio said:

NFLN currently off of DirecTV Now and Uverse. If not resolved by next week those customers will need to watch draft on ESPN. NFL Ticket ownership hanging by a thread. I only have DirecTV (regular version) because of the Ticket - it’s super expensive and I hate losing service when it rains hard. Would love to make a change if the Ticket goes elsewhere.

I have streamed Sunday ticket for almost 10 years, first with PlayStation now through apply tv. Sunday Ticket is expensive but it doesn’t need the ancillary  subscription. 

Internet is so good now it just works, ability to watch on the go is a bonus. 

I wonder at some point if the nfl just streams it’s own product... mlbtv and NHL seem to do this. 

13 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I sincerely hope it goes to a cable provider, i dont want to have to subscribe to yet another streaming service just to watch the bills. I would not mind if it went to comcast or better yet, Verizon (fastest and best internet).  Then i would not have to lose service during every freaking snow storm or severe t storm.

You know its funny, the first 3-4 years i had direc tv i lost service like once. Last 5 years or so, i lose service like 4-5 times a year....

The reason it won’t it because these providers are limited to where they can supply service due to monopolies 

but dish and directv can be sold anywhere so this allows the NFL reach more customers 

if you limit yourself to Verizon or even Att uverse they are only allowed in parts of certain states 

the option the NFL gives customers is if they are in an apartment and they can’t get a dish they can purchase the app logins for 280 a year 

i could see the NFL allowing an app like amazon purchase the rights but I still don’t think they would be able to make the money they can with directv 

lets say it was only app based and you didnt have a strong strong internet connection due to location ... the only option is a dish since no land line provider is in that area and an app cant be used bc of speeds so that customer would have no ability to use the app 

directv can reach a wider amount of customers 

directv pays the nfl a ton of money for it 

nfl can still charge people in apartments and condo/duplex’s 280 for the app 

nfl makes more money keeping it with directv 

also they would have the ability to maybe cross it with other services owned by Att like uverse or directv now to reach even more customers 

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I would like it stay on DirecTV...just lower the price...it can be offered on other services as well

AT&T/DirecTV is already moving away from the satellite platform.  At the end of last year, AT&T CEO said they have launched their last DirecTV satellite:

https://spacenews.com/directv-owner-att-says-its-done-buying-satellites/

Whether the NFL sticks with AT&T/DirecTV or moves onto another provider, the NFL wants the media available via streaming platforms vice a fixed physical set top box

• Thank you (+1) 1

My my my.. how the world changes.

In 1999, when I had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket it was da bomb. Customer support, compared to cable, was outstanding.

DirecTV was the place to be. Now, apparently, it sucks. It would be a good case study for an MBA class.

Today, I have Verizon Fios and will until you pry it from my cold dead hands. Yes.. it's NFL coverage is lacking.. oh well.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I have streamed Sunday ticket for almost 10 years, first with PlayStation now through apply tv. Sunday Ticket is expensive but it doesn’t need the ancillary  subscription. 

Internet is so good now it just works, ability to watch on the go is a bonus. 

I wonder at some point if the nfl just streams it’s own product... mlbtv and NHL seem to do this. 

Yes but they still offer that product for customers on cable/dish providers because not everyone can get fast enough internet 

I just don’t see them going app only 

I could see a deal or a cost to allow Sunday ticket to be sold on any TV provider 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:20 AM, Bills2ref said:

Only reason I have Directv is the Sunday Ticket. Their customer support/service is absolutely non-existent. 

It's only since they merged with AT&T. Before that, their customer service was fantastic. Now it's a train wreck 

22 minutes ago, boater said:

My my my.. how the world changes.

In 1999, when I had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket it was da bomb. Customer support, compared to cable, was outstanding.

DirecTV was the place to be. Now, apparently, it sucks. It would be a good case study for an MBA class.

It's not so much that DirecTV sucks as much as it is antiquated technology and a changing market.

They had their time in the sun, but the run is over. I also remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever; a dish on the side of your house that brought hundreds of channels into the living room. But times change as they say. Not sure who they is, but it's gotta be somebody..I think.