FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, in college-entrance bribery scheme

dpberr

Imagine being such a dull bulb that mom and dad had to resort to:

"Huffman is accused of paying $15,000 — disguised as a charitable donation — to the Key Worldwide Foundation so her oldest daughter could participate in the scam. A confidential informant told investigators that he advised Huffman he could arrange for a third party to correct her daughter's answers on the SAT after she took it. She ended up scoring a 1420 — 400 points higher than she had gotten on a PSAT taken a year earlier, according to court documents."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/college-admissions-cheating-felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin/index.html

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Imagine being such a dull bulb that mom and dad had to resort to...

Should have just learned how to play football for a Division I school.

Good to see that us ‘common folk’ haven’t cornered the market on underachieving children.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

45 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Should have just learned how to play football for a Division I school.

Good to see that us ‘common folk’ haven’t cornered the market on underachieving children.

If you're the child, I'm not sure what's worse:

1.  Your parents get busted by the FBI with your demostrated mediocre intellect used as evidence against them;

2.  You had no idea any of this happened and your parents made the decision to risk imprisonment to get you ahead seeing your chances doing it by yourself were so slim. 

I'd like to know how these kids are actually doing in college once they got there.  

Yale:  "We have no idea why William H. Macy's bright child has a 1.9GPA this semester.  She scored a 1420 on her SAT and she was highly recommended by 50 teachers, a couple poet laureates, a few PHDs and a physicist."

Edited by dpberr

Admissions to elite available schools have always been three equals parts:

legacies and

academic achievement and

set-asides like athletes or drama or art or quotas and whatever else they want to let in 

this is a third category story.  As always best wishes to those who have a brain and want to   use it in life, you are already in the minority week one on campus

14 hours ago, dpberr said:

Yale:  "We have no idea why William H. Macy's bright child has a 1.9GPA this semester.  She scored a 1420 on her SAT and she was highly recommended by 50 teachers, a couple poet laureates, a few PHDs and a physicist."

07bfb97849c21c62b68eaf02739b6cc98725d5b4

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Admissions to elite available schools have always been three equals parts:

legacies and

academic achievement and

set-asides like athletes or drama or art or quotas and whatever else they want to let in 

this is a third category story.  As always best wishes to those who have a brain and want to   use it in life, you are already in the minority week one on campus

There are a few other things happening these days too at the more competitive schools. 

First, and this is not necessarily the worst thing, colleges are obsessed with admitting "first generation" college students. WaPo has a recent story that notes these kids don't do as well despite all the extra help they get once they arrive, but that is making admissions tighter. And as far as I can tell going through the early stages of the college process with a junior now, all you have to do is check boxes to assert that you're G1 student (that being said, these days it's pretty easy to debunk unless your parents are totally under the radar). 

Second, and this is huge these days, international applicants to elite schools, in particular, are way up. Harvard is 20% international students. Many schools are the same. The international pool takes up a lot of spaces that it didn't used to, and those students are attractive because they pay 100% full tuition. No scholarships. Just cash in. So they are uncomplicated sources of money (and good students but not always the best). 

Third, there are some other cute ways to game the system on tests. Setting aside the pure cheaters that got busted, we have been asked multiple times if our daughter (a straight A student who scores in the top % on standardized tests) would need special accommodations for test-taking, ie, extra time or anything else. This seems to be shockingly easy to secure and a surprising number of her friends, who are all totally fine, take advantage of it. 

Most of Operation Varsity Blues came from one organization. Can you even imagine how many others are out there, and how many other times there was just some direct payment or small-time cheat that happened. It's not surprising at all...but given how much some of these dopes were spending, it's totally insane. Skip USC, give your kid 500K, and send them to Canisius. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

21 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

These parents are an insult to the hard-working parents like the Kushners who were forced to buy a whole building at Harvard for $2.5 million in order to get Jared admitted.

NO POLITICS PLEASE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's all good and fine until you bring the Golden (or is it orange?) Boy into the discussion. Then theres outrage that someones mentioning politics!

But Sasha Obama, the Bush Twins and Chelsea Clinton earned their way in, right?

At least our president didn't have his kids working for Harvey Weinstein, no?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Any records of their parents “donating” millions to get them in college?

https://www.theroot.com/remember-that-time-when-jared-kushner-s-dad-donated-2-1833241931

Trump’s kids worked for Trump, a serial sexual harasser and assaulter. They couldn’t get hired by anyone else. ?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Any records of their parents “donating” millions to get them in college?

https://www.theroot.com/remember-that-time-when-jared-kushner-s-dad-donated-2-1833241931

Trump’s kids worked for Trump, a serial sexual harasser and assaulter. They couldn’t get hired by anyone else. ?

The president's kids didn't have their weddings funded by the a corrupt foundation that stole money from starving Haitians. But I'm sure this doesn't bother you.

Are you a Harvey Weinstein admirer?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The president's kids didn't have their weddings funded by the a corrupt foundation that stole money from starving Haitians. But I'm sure this doesn't bother you.

Sorry, the Clintons are squeaky clean law abiding citizens.  The lack of indictments proves it!!!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

No, I think they had their weddings funded by a con man who screws over contractors and others while filing for bankruptcy, and has almost as many sexual assault allegations against him as Weinstein. Hows your orange boys foundations doing? No corruption there..........

It's much more believable that the 4 daughters of previous presidents you mentioned would at least be close enough to being able to get into a high level school on their own then any of the current presidential 'children'.......

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sorry, the Clintons are squeaky clean law abiding citizens.  The lack of indictments proves it!!!

Compared to the guy in office today, yeah they are pretty clean........

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I believe that one offspring of POTUS gets a free pass.  If they’re twins, the dumber one is a Longhorn.

I guess I’m out of the loop but as someone who does a lot of hiring of recent grads, I don’t give a flying F where someone went to school as long as they have the required degree(s), gpa experience/internships and work ethic. I assume this is more for the parents to show off their kids are going to an elite school because they probably won’t need career placement anyway 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess I’m out of the loop but as someone who does a lot of hiring of recent grads, I don’t give a flying F where someone went to school as long as they have the required degree(s), gpa experience/internships and work ethic. I assume this is more for the parents to show off their kids are going to an elite school because they probably won’t need career placement anyway 

Yeah, some places and employers may care whether your degree came from an Ivy league school or a community college, some employers may view some degrees from some schools better then others, or a lower GPA at an ivy league school better or equal to a high GPA at a lower school. But the majority dont as long as you got the degree and experience. They always made such a big deal in school that you should get the best grades, and go to a great school, but once your done school, very few employers care about your grades if you graduated from the required program. They dont care if you got a 75% in your final exam or a 90%.

For many, it's more the status of saying them or their parents being able to say that they went to a big name school.

I dont really get the big deal here, rich parents have done this for decades, but usually they just have to fund a library, or fund part of a new sports field or facility and their kids are accepted in.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m guessing name colleges are helpful but in the end it comes down to what kind of worker are you.  Is this person profitable for the company?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.