FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, in college-entrance bribery scheme

dpberr

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

But Sasha Obama, the Bush Twins and Chelsea Clinton earned their way in, right?

At least our president didn't have his kids working for Harvey Weinstein, no?

Maybe we can choose not attack the children for things they would not have done themselves as kids. Regardless of party. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Tell that to the women that Bills allegedly raped and groped while Hillary harbored him.

Are we comparing numbers now?

The 23 women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct:

https://www.businessinsider.com/women-accused-trump-sexual-misconduct-list-2017-12

https://m.mic.com/articles/156669/how-many-women-have-accused-donald-trump-of-rape-or-sexual-assault#.P6Kd6gZ89

Edited by PastaJoe

57 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, some places and employers may care whether your degree came from an Ivy league school or a community college, some employers may view some degrees from some schools better then others, or a lower GPA at an ivy league school better or equal to a high GPA at a lower school. But the majority dont as long as you got the degree and experience. They always made such a big deal in school that you should get the best grades, and go to a great school, but once your done school, very few employers care about your grades if you graduated from the required program. They dont care if you got a 75% in your final exam or a 90%.

For many, it's more the status of saying them or their parents being able to say that they went to a big name school.

I dont really get the big deal here, rich parents have done this for decades, but usually they just have to fund a library, or fund part of a new sports field or facility and their kids are accepted in.

I am sure it depends on the employer and the industry. When I see a resume from an Ivy League school i just assume they will want more money!

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess I’m out of the loop but as someone who does a lot of hiring of recent grads, I don’t give a flying F where someone went to school as long as they have the required degree(s), gpa experience/internships and work ethic. I assume this is more for the parents to show off their kids are going to an elite school because they probably won’t need career placement anyway 

Its not really that the degree is any different from a place like Harvard rather than Canisius or UB; but its much more the alumni network that you can tap into for the rest of your life that matters most.  Of course, it really helps certain industries (like Wall Street, management consulting etc.) more than others.  For example:

Need a 1st job...hit up the alumni network. 

Starting a business and need investors....alums.

Your kid needs something you cannot provide...an alum can help.

The top schools all have active alumni networks with massive coordination and people dedicated to connecting alums.  The very top schools even have private clubs with restaurants, bars, workout facilities, meeting rooms etc. in NYC (Yale club, Penn club, Harvard club etc.).  So, IMHO...yeah it can help a kid out a lot.  I don't blame any of the parents here trying to get their kids plugged into that network.

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

But Sasha Obama, the Bush Twins and Chelsea Clinton earned their way in, right?

At least our president didn't have his kids working for Harvey Weinstein, no?

Every interview I see with one of Trump's kids makes it obvious they're privileged and arrogant trust fund kids too.

3 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

This thread is getting too political and has degenerated into a bunch of insults and name-calling.

Therefore, a gratuitous photo of a woman with big jugs is needed to restore the thread to intelligent conversation.

c49e28fc811.jpg

I think this case speaks volumes about the impact of big money in our system of higher education while also being a sad commentary on the modern day inclination of parents to prioritize a 'win at all costs' mentality over setting an example for their children of acting in an ethical and honest manner.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I think this case speaks volumes about the impact of big money in our system of higher education while also being a sad commentary on the modern day inclination of parents to prioritize a 'win at all costs' mentality over setting an example for their children of acting in an ethical and honest manner.

Very sad. I just don’t get it. 

I worked at Stanford while Chelsea went there. Undergrad was a joke. At the time you could resign from a class the last week of the semester and it didn't appear on the transcript.  If you flunked a class, you could take it over again and the flunk would not appear.  It was well known around the campus that Chelsea would get ****faced every weekend at the DKE parties.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Wacka said:

I worked at Stanford while Chelsea went there. Undergrad was a joke. At the time you could resign from a class the last week of the semester and it didn't appear on the transcript.  If you flunked a class, you could take it over again and the flunk would not appear.  It was well known around the campus that Chelsea would get ****faced every weekend at the DKE parties.

You’re spewing logical disjunction. It was allowed at Stanford therefore Chelsea did it. She got drunk on weekends therefore she was a bad student. Any proof? And yet Trump took measures to make sure his grades wouldn’t be made public. Sounds like you’re the one who failed logic in math class. ?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

You’re spewing logical disjunction. It was allowed at Stanford therefore Chelsea did it. She got drunk on weekends therefore she was a bad student. Any proof? And yet Trump took measures to make sure his grades wouldn’t be made public. Sounds like you’re the one who failed logic in math class. ?

Can't you stop? The poster was just talking about his personal experience Joe. Does even the slightest comment about any of the Clintons disturb you THAT much?

I get it, you can't stand our president. No problem, but; do you think that being a fan of the Clinton family is some sort of badge of honor? I mean really.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.