Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

46 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not true.

not all Targaryens burn 

who died with molten gold on his head?  Dany’s ***** brother. 

who got burned throwing the lantern at the white walker in Castle Black?

Jon snow burned his hand 

Molten Gold isn't fire.

I don't recall the lantern burn but I'll take your word for it.... Was he burnt from fire or oil or wax ?

53 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Molten Gold isn't fire.

I don't recall the lantern burn but I'll take your word for it.... Was he burnt from fire or oil or wax ?

https://www.quora.com/How-can-Jon-Snow-be-a-Targaryen-if-he-burnt-his-hand-in-the-book-Game-of-Thrones-while-saving-the-commander-from-the-white-walker

Found it FF to the end 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

4 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

I don’t necessarily think Jamie sees Cersei again. I expect Bronn goes through with it and kills one of Jamie or Tyrion. 

I see Jamie as making more sense here. 

I don't see it especially since his role on the show after season 2 was much larger than in the books.  He became a fan favorite so they just kept him in the show.  He's not going to kill a major character.  I'd applaud the show directors if they did have him kill Jaime or Tyrion though.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Yeah, watched it again tonight. Even better the second time. I’m not sure I understand why some of you are so disappointed.

I loved it.  The first 10 - 15 minutes were my favorite.  Going to watch it again right now.

39 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, watched it again tonight. Even better the second time. I’m not sure I understand why some of you are so disappointed.

It felt very hollywood-esque with people who should have been killed, but yet survived when someone else comes in just in the nick of time to save them. Kinda like watching an Avengers movie or even James Bond, when the situation is dire, someone swoops in to save them. This transition started as the show began to deviate from the books, the writers became comfortable with the actors and with their success and kept them going forward when the source material dried up. Stealing from another board "I think it’s a combination of getting past the deaths mandated by the books and also a symptom of the show getting older. This happened on "The Walking Dead," too. The longer the characters have been around, the harder it is for the writers to kill them off."

The WW & NK simply became a way to get Danny & Jon together and unite them to go after Cersei. The problem was that there was still this fantastical element throughout the series that they are now unable or unwilling to or didn't care to develop to interweave back into the ending, with the build up throughout it was just dropped it in a manner that left some us very empty. The Night King turned out to be a boring villain because he does't talk and his motivation appears to be simple death and destruction. This series has this history of rich, complex villains, and this part of the series was underdeveloped; it feels like the writers wanted to end there. Over the past few seasons, a lot of story telling was done to make the White Walker threat more important than the fight for the throne and episode 3 is really jarring from that standpoint. It doesn't feel like it fits within the series.

When you look at the GRRM characters, there were lots of layers and depth to them, the deaths were meaningful, impactful and left you wondering sometime, but then it became more evident why those characters had to die and when they died you felt it.  I'm stealing this from another board: "It feels like the writers just wanted to dispense with Azor Ahai the way they wanted to dispense with the Night King. The fact that Arya killed him would make it seem like she is the Prince(ss) Who Was Promised, but she doesn't really seem to fit the bill. If the prophecy ends up affecting who is on the throne, maybe they'll mess with it so it's still Jon or Dany." It just feels like they want to quickly pivot from this onto the person who has become the traditional hollywood villain, Cersei. To be honest is Cersei really that compelling any more from a villain standpoint? The hate for her is for what happened in the past, I've kinda moved on from her.

Meh

13 hours ago, SDS said:

"Maisie Williams arrived at the table read for the final season of Game of Thrones not yet realizing that Arya Stark kills the Night King"

The inside the episode show producers said they knew for three years that Arya would kill the Night King.  

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Joffrey was the little kid in Batman Begins

No wonder he was so messed up.  Here's a gif of a young Arya and Bran.  First season.

0c08583f89e31fa91ab49b9ba694ebb9a6c18237

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’m actually kind of happy that the whole WW/NK story is dead, so to speak. Wasn’t a massive fan of the night shots but I understand why they did it.

I think it served it’s purpose and I haven’t like how they handled it from the last season anyways. 

ONTO CERSEI!!!

I watched the episode at my brother's house who has a Vizeo LED.  Lighting wasn't as big of a problem with the Samsung 4K 60" when I rewatched it.  Maybe HBO purposefully wants to help the tv companies.

I was always more into the politics of GOT's and not the supernational elements (although Hardhome was cool).  I'm kind of glad as well to move on past The Lord of Light and the Night King.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I watched the episode at my brother's house who has a Vizeo LED.  Lighting wasn't as big of a problem with the Samsung 4K 60" when I rewatched it.  Maybe HBO purposefully wants to help the tv companies.

I was always more into the politics of GOT's and not the supernational elements (although Hardhome was cool).  I'm kind of glad as well to move on past The Lord of Light and the Night King.

I actually didn't have too much problem seeing it either, as I was streaming it and it's less compressed than what the cable companies do. I can see why some people probably couldn't see much. 

Yea I agree there, always have enjoyed the politics and the character development in GoTs moreso. I don't have a problem with the supernatural elements or anything like that, I just always thought you weren't ever going to get a lot of development out of a character who can't speak. It was an important story because it brings characters together but I've never thought it was THE story.

I had an opportunity to watch it last night. Is t just me or did anyone else have a problem seeing what was going on. It was so dark I couldn't tell between the living and dead. Same with the dragons. I was actually expecting more people to die.

23 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I had an opportunity to watch it last night. Is t just me or did anyone else have a problem seeing what was going on. It was so dark I couldn't tell between the living and dead. Same with the dragons. I was actually expecting more people to die.

The producers wanted it that way.   (plus easier to hide flaws)  It took 55 days to film the night scenes alone.  

IMO 

Keeps up the suspense not knowing if your favorite characters were going to fall or not.   When they did, they made sure it was "bright" enough.  

I was also expecting more people to die but , I'm kind of glad they didn't.

Back to a comment I made about Dany pulling Jorah in front of her when he was stabbed...  I was incorrect.  He sees the attacker coming and with his arm shoves her back. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Many buddy was going off on this last night. He has a new UHD TV and his pic was awful. It was set to a bad setting and when we put it back to normal, the pic was fine. 

It was an army that attacks only at night and brings blizzard conditions, against a foe, who's primary defense is a massive amount of fire.  It will be tough to see.

I watched some of it a second time.... and not being all strung out, worried about characters dying, trying to make out faces, which dragon was which, etc... it was a lot easier to view.

It was an impossible thing to pull off.  Battle of the Blackwater set the standard.  Hardhome upped the ante and was an unexpected punch in the gut.  Battle of the Bastards was perfection, and probably cannot be topped.  I thought they did a really good job looking at all the challenges involved.  
I think if the Night King raises the dead that time, and it becomes a rout, kills or takes Bran, and a few characters narrowly escape and need to regroup in the iron islands...  the positive buzz on this and anticipation would be a fever pitch.

31 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It was an army that attacks only at night and brings blizzard conditions, against a foe, who's primary defense is a massive amount of fire.  It will be tough to see.

I watched some of it a second time.... and not being all strung out, worried about characters dying, trying to make out faces, which dragon was which, etc... it was a lot easier to view.

It was an impossible thing to pull off.  Battle of the Blackwater set the standard.  Hardhome upped the ante and was an unexpected punch in the gut.  Battle of the Bastards was perfection, and probably cannot be topped.  I thought they did a really good job looking at all the challenges involved.  
I think if the Night King raises the dead that time, and it becomes a rout, kills or takes Bran, and a few characters narrowly escape and need to regroup in the iron islands...  the positive buzz on this and anticipation would be a fever pitch.

Except that's not at all what the "real" story is about.  My opinion?  It was an epic battle in impossible conditions -- it felt "real" because they focused upon individuals rather than just large, unending battle scenes, they resolved the NK story in a fulfilling way (i.e., the culmination of Arya's training and Melisandre's prophecy), and they left enough major characters intact (while still killing memorable ones) to now address the "true" culmination of GoT -- the quest for the Iron Throne.  It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

to me, the Night King/WW story was not ended in a fulfilling way.

mind you, I don't hate it and aren't running around complaining about it all over the net.  This is actually the first Im mentioning it.

It was kind of "easy" and quick.  This was the main threat throughout the books and series.  I have a hard time imagining that the war with the Others is going to not be the ending of the books (with a bit of tying loose ends after).  There is a whole theme of "Your Marching the Wrong Way" when Robb marches South.  Even in the show, for those who are 'woke', there is a whole theme that all the thrones, titles, and lords do not matter.  These White Walkers and night king battled a hardy and all-wise race of Children of the Forest for thousands of years to no conclusion.  Having Arya just "sneak up" on the Night King and stab him, killing all the WW just feels like a convenient way out.  The whole theme is "this is way bigger than titles, and man forgot"... but it changed to "well, I guess this girl took care of that, I guess titles were the bigger deal after all".  They didn't develop this over several 1,000s of pages and 7+ seasons so the Night King slips on a banana peel and ends the threat at the first resistance before getting halfway out of the North.

Now the last half of the last season, we have the big culmination of the series with the antagonists being Cersei, a non-developed-just introduced Golden Company, and a little developed Euron.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

No matter what, people will find a way to complain about anything.  Thought the episode was great, even better a second time. 

People just have unrealistic expectations, there is only so much they can do with the TV show with limited time and budget.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

mind you, I don't hate it and aren't running around complaining about it all over the net.  This is actually the first Im mentioning it.

It was kind of "easy" and quick.  This was the main threat throughout the books and series.  I have a hard time imagining that the war with the Others is going to not be the ending of the books (with a bit of tying loose ends after).  There is a whole theme of "Your Marching the Wrong Way" when Robb marches South.  Even in the show, for those who are 'woke', there is a whole theme that all the thrones, titles, and lords do not matter.  These White Walkers and night king battled a hardy and all-wise race of Children of the Forest for thousands of years to no conclusion.  Having Arya just "sneak up" on the Night King and stab him, killing all the WW just feels like a convenient way out.  The whole theme is "this is way bigger than titles, and man forgot"... but it changed to "well, I guess this girl took care of that, I guess titles were the bigger deal after all".  They didn't develop this over several 1,000s of pages and 7+ seasons so the Night King slips on a banana peel and ends the threat at the first resistance before getting halfway out of the North.

Now the last half of the last season, we have the big culmination of the series with the antagonists being Cersei, a non-developed-just introduced Golden Company, and a little developed Euron.  

I'm not a reader of the books so I couldn't care less about them, but I've watched the entire series three times through.  That episode and the way they ended the NK arc was perfectly satisfying -- to me.

To each his own.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The inside the episode show producers said they knew for three years that Arya would kill the Night King.  

100%. I have to believe that's from Martin directly and how it will (would if he finishes) go in the books. She's his favorite character for a reason.  

36 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Couple thoughts, particularly on the bolded. 

There are three episodes left, but it's not really half a season. It was already a shortened season of a shortened telling of a massive story that's spanned multiple books and now 8 seasons of TV. We're in the denouement now of the entire saga -- and there have always been two prominent storylines: the war for the iron throne and the Great War. As soon as Cersei made the decision not to march north, there was never going to be a way to resolve both those storylines simultaneously in one sequence/chapter. 

But even though the NK story is wrapped (perhaps), it doesn't mean (in my opinion of course, this is all subjective) that those themes you pointed out above are resolved. Dany wants to break the wheel (or so she says), that would make all those titles and houses moot every bit as much as the Great War would have had the dead not been defeated. The North has its mysteries and legends -- now more than ever considering the body count / lack of witnesses left, and I fully expect (however the ending plays out) for the North to be given its freedom under Sansa and Tyrion's rule. 

As for Arya, they did such a brilliant job with her story throughout the books and show. What did Bran say before the battle when they asked him who could kill the Night King -- "no one": 

Image result for arya stark no one meme

She didn't "sneak up" on the Night King. Theon sacrificed himself (unknowingly to him, but knowingly to Bran) to buy her time to make her approach. We spent a good five minutes in the library showing how stealthy she is -- even around the dead -- not to mention the several seasons worth of her training. 

Just my worthless 10 cents. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 6

I finally got to watch it last night....I have a 4K tv so it was not that hard to watch.  My thoughts.

- I was extremely pissed on what they did with the Dathraki (sp) that is in essence the "heavy horse" or cav for Dany's army and they SIMPLY SENT THEM IN TO DIE....WTF did they do this?  Besides the fact that I loved them in this series it was simply not tactically smart.   I felt the best thing to do would be to use the dragons to light up the forest (and improve vision on the battle field with straffing runs.....hold the dathraki to the side of the battle until the enemy had been engaged by the unsullied.....the flank from the side of the formation.   Whoever sent Dany's cav to just be sacrificed needs to have their head removed.

- I was happy that no more dragons were lost....but was really hoping that in some way the now turned ice dragon would redeem in some sort of way but it was not to be.   Something that would actually save Dany even if it did not survive itself.

- It feels like Dany literally lost her WHOLE army here......in the end....just like always.....Cercei is the ninja....holding back her forces and allowing Dany to give up all of hers in the battle with the night king which they won but at a huge price.

- Very upset that Dany lost her armies and the unsullied are more men then most regardless of having male parts removed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm thinking that 2 dragons > The Golden Boys. 

Urine Greyjoy will get his comeuppance courtesy of his niece, and she takes over the navy. 

Perhaps there's still an undead or two that the North team can bring to have a personal meeting with Cercei... she seemed to be amused by the one she met at the end of Season 7. 

Cleagane Bowl in Episode 5 or 6? 

Can't wait for Sunday night to get here. 

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

- I was extremely pissed on what they did with the Dathraki (sp) that is in essence the "heavy horse" or cav for Dany's army and they SIMPLY SENT THEM IN TO DIE....WTF did they do this? 

... It reminded me of the South Park movie:

They were the foreign savages of the day... 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I finally got to watch it last night....I have a 4K tv so it was not that hard to watch.  My thoughts.

- I was extremely pissed on what they did with the Dathraki (sp) that is in essence the "heavy horse" or cav for Dany's army and they SIMPLY SENT THEM IN TO DIE....WTF did they do this?  Besides the fact that I loved them in this series it was simply not tactically smart.   I felt the best thing to do would be to use the dragons to light up the forest (and improve vision on the battle field with straffing runs.....hold the dathraki to the side of the battle until the enemy had been engaged by the unsullied.....the flank from the side of the formation.   Whoever sent Dany's cav to just be sacrificed needs to have their head removed.

- I was happy that no more dragons were lost....but was really hoping that in some way the now turned ice dragon would redeem in some sort of way but it was not to be.   Something that would actually save Dany even if it did not survive itself.

- It feels like Dany literally lost her WHOLE army here......in the end....just like always.....Cercei is the ninja....holding back her forces and allowing Dany to give up all of hers in the battle with the night king which they won but at a huge price.

- Very upset that Dany lost her armies and the unsullied are more men then most regardless of having male parts removed.

Don't worry ..  I'm willing to bet she still has an army of thousands to march south 

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I'm thinking that 2 dragons > The Golden Boys. 

Urine Greyjoy will get his comeuppance courtesy of his niece, and she takes over the navy. 

Perhaps there's still an undead or two that the North team can bring to have a personal meeting with Cercei... she seemed to be amused by the one she met at the end of Season 7. 

Cleagane Bowl in Episode 5 or 6? 

Can't wait for Sunday night to get here. 

The finale.   The war will be won then Danny and crew will go into KL to deal with Cercie and then the Brothers will battle it out.  

What is Dead May Never Die  The Northern armies faced death and triumphed.  

The living won't cause then fear.   

43 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Coming from where?

the magic of cinema of course.   

you see what appears to be a total annihilation yet the next day hundreds more are ready to fight. 

I had also suggested the remaining houses of the North that may not have gone to the aide of Winterfell will appear in their support.  

Is there a House Baratheon?

There are still the Greyjoy's, House Tarly, House Tully, House Arryn, and House Reed aka Crangomen. 

There may also be the following point some may have forgotten about

The Iron Bank intends to support the strongest faction in Daenerys Targaryen's invasion of Westeros

Securing Riverrun would have Dany a route to ferry her soldiers back to Dragonstone. And with Tyrion’s charm, the series of victories could have helped convince the Iron Bank to invest in her, cutting off Cersei’s main source of funds—and potentially won over the remaining Ironborn and River Lords. She’d have a supply route stretching from Casterly Rock—should she want to hold it, she has the men—to Riverrun, and from there to Dragonstone. With Varys’ little birds and a small army of sellswords serving as spies, she could track Cersei’s army, crippling their supply lines with strafing, hit-and-run dragonfire attacks as it marches. If the Ironborn try to sail to the other side of Westeros and attack Dany at Dragonstone, she’d have enough troops to defend it from landing attacks and dragons to punch holes in any blockade.

sub-buzz-26399-1556526483-1.png?downsize

the-north-map.png

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

“The Long Night,” or the longest ever “Game of Thrones” episode, was watched by 12.02 million viewers during its initial broadcast.

That represents almost a two million viewer bump on the previous episode, which garnered 10.29 million viewers on initial viewing, and even more than the season 8 premiere, which drew 11.8 million eyeballs on the linear channel.

“The Long Night,” which clocked in at a massive one hour and 22 minutes, is now the second most watched episode in “Thrones” history, behind only the season 7 finale which drew 12.1 million linear viewers. Sunday’s episode was also the most tweeted-about television episode of all time, with more than 7.8 million tweets. The new record only refers to scripted TV episodes.

OH and remember ....  Episode 4 · May 5, 2019  Don't celebrate to much prior to the show ...

2 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

No matter what, people will find a way to complain about anything.  Thought the episode was great, even better a second time. 

People just have unrealistic expectations, there is only so much they can do with the TV show with limited time and budget.  

Yep. Did my usual and watched it the second time on iPad with subtitles.  Despite that military stupidity of sending the Dothraki to take on the dead, it was a fantastic way to set the mood: Starting with Fear (of the unknown dead army), hope (when Melisandre lights the swords), absolute dread, as the swords are extinguished and a handful of Dothraki (and Jorah) return...awesome stuff!

Sometimes it's the little things that leave an impression on me.  As I mentioned, I really liked that quick shot of a Whitewalker turning his head and woosh of breeze (of Arya) going by. Reminded me of the shot of Ghost stirring just before John Snow came back to life.

In the discussion after the episode, B&W did say that the Weirwood tree at Winterfell was the same one where the Children of the Forest created the Night King.  Fitting.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TPS said:

In the discussion after the episode, B&W did say that the Weirwood tree at Winterfell was the same one where the Children of the Forest created the Night King.  Fitting.

in the creation flashback, there was a mountain

main-qimg-579d1ac34cfc1b12153f8afa8f100f

which was the same here, apparently viewed from the other side when they went beyond the wall last season

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Dont dismiss Arya as just "this girl". She's a highly skilled and trained assassin, probably moreso than any other character we've seen in the show considering that has been her entire story arc since the beginning. She has been training for this moment since Ep 1. She has studied under numerous legendary tutors. She leaves a path of dead in her wake.

The NK wasnt killed by some girl. He was taken out, in the middle of his own crew, by ARYA M&*$#-F$%#ING STARK.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont dismiss Arya as just "this girl". She's a highly skilled and trained assassin, probably moreso than any other character we've seen in the show considering that has been her entire story arc since the beginning. She has been training for this moment since Ep 1. She has studied under numerous legendary tutors. She leaves a path of dead in her wake.

The NK wasnt killed by some girl. He was taken out, in the middle of his own crew, by ARYA M&*$#-F$%#ING STARK.

Arya   = 

D5Wqn6IXsAAwH06.jpg

D5Xed2OWwAAbKep.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

... It reminded me of the South Park movie:

They were the foreign savages of the day... 

That actually crossed my mind when watching it.  The Dothraki are known to be great fighters on horses so sending them first makes sense as they can cover a lot of ground.  They just didn't know what they were really up against.

• Like (+1) 1