Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lets agree to disagree 

In my opinion it was an EPIC EPISODE!!!!!

I disagree.  It was like a 90-minute of the worst kind of Walking Dead episode.  Buncha people hacking away at ice zombies.  

There was no real drama or tension to it, just spectacle.  

Oh. Jon’s dragon took a fall.  

Did he survive?   The preview seemed to show only 1 dragon.  

Edit. Never mind I rewatched the preview again and saw two

the fast rewind on DTR was awesome as the NK shattered 

over and over and over 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, Rico said:

It was just too dark to overcome HBO’s terrible picture quality as broadcast. The 4K UHD will be much better.

It looked like they filmed large parts of it on a sound stage, and used lighting and smoke to hide that fact.

Which they did very well, and additionally is likely an accurate representation of that sort of battle (not being able to see *****, having a personal horizon that doesn't extend farther than arm's reach.)  But it doesn't make for very viewable television.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I disagree.  It was like a 90-minute of the worst kind of Walking Dead episode.  Buncha people hacking away at ice zombies.  

Nailed it

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No tension???? Seriously?????

• Like (+1) 3

It was difficult to see, I'm hoping the rest of it takes place during the day.

I'm guessing going forward they win the battle at Kings Landing and Cersei is killed by Jaime.

Dany kills Jon Snow because she wants the throne that badly. Dany will be killed by Arya who will take over the throne.

Edited by frostbitmic

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

It was difficult to see, I'm hoping the rest of it takes place during the day.

I'm guessing going forward they win the battle at Kings Landing and Cersei is killed by Jaime.

Dany kills Jon Snow because she wants the thrown that badly. Dany will be killed by Arya who will take over the thrown.

From what I saw, other than the stars, there can't be too many of the northern army left.   So it should be interesting how they are going to work out the Kings Landing battle.

So, it was a good episode, tons of action and such but it fell flat. Think of The Force Awakens and Snoke, the whole movie he is like this huge badass. The Last Jedi he is pulling the strings and then unceremoniously killed like an unnamed storm trooper. No nothing. That's how I feel now. What you can kill the leader of the army of the dead and then spend 3 damn episodes on Cersi? Meh, such a wasted opportunity. Why are people behind epic shows like this and movies afraid the make big choices that could create something really special and lasting and then fall flat like that

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

So, it was a good episode, tons of action and such but it fell flat. Think of The Force Awakens and Snoke, the whole movie he is like this huge badass. The Last Jedi he is pulling the strings and then unceremoniously killed like an unnamed storm trooper. No nothing. That's how I feel now. What you can kill the leader of the army of the dead and then spend 3 damn episodes on Cersi? Meh, such a wasted opportunity. Why are people behind epic shows like this and movies afraid the make big choices that could create something really special and lasting and then fall flat like that

What's your idea of a special ending here? 

8 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

What's your idea of a special ending here? 

There needed to be more with him and Bran, the fan theories were infinitely better. It was like his whole arc of the Night King and the army of the dead, this entire build up, just a quick stab and he's dead. Just Hollywood shock and awe, there was no depth; the night king was a basic zombie. I'm not a writer, but there was no depth or overall purpose for this fight or why he wanted Bran given. Perhaps that will be gone over later, but he was defeated way to easily and basically only seemed like a way to unite characters to go fight Cersei now.

Now that the suspense and everything has faded a way, it feels like a Michael Bay movie

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

That kind of sounds like one of the themes on the show that anyone can get snuffed out without warning no matter who they are.

35 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

There needed to be more with him and Bran, the fan theories were infinitely better. It was like his whole arc of the Night King and the army of the dead, this entire build up, just a quick stab and he's dead. Just Hollywood shock and awe, there was no depth; the night king was a basic zombie. I'm not a writer, but there was no depth or overall purpose for this fight or why he wanted Bran given. Perhaps that will be gone over later, but he was defeated way to easily and basically only seemed like a way to unite characters to go fight Cersei now.

Now that the suspense and everything has faded a way, it feels like a Michael Bay movie

Through 7 seasons they never really developed the Night King.  The only way you can understand the motivation of a character is through dialogue.   You never get that with the Night King.  He was created by the Children of the Forest (was it part of their war against men?)  As I recall, didn't they regret creating him and the white walkers?   So I don't know what you could have expected in the scene with Bran.  I have not read the books so I'm just going with what I remember from earlier episodes.  With the other characters there has been dialogue and intrigue.   With the Night King all we've gotten to create any "drama or tension" is "Winter is coming."

Edited by jkeerie
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Through 7 seasons they never really developed the Night King.  The only way you can understand the motivation of a character is through dialogue.   You never get that with the Night King.  He was created by the Children of the Forest (was it part of their war against men?)  As I recall, didn't they regret creating him and the white walkers?   So I don't know what you could have expected in the scene with Bran.  I have not read the books so I'm just going with what I remember from earlier episodes.  With the other characters there has been dialogue and intrigue.   With the Night King all we've gotten to create any "drama or tension" is "Winter is coming."

Bran was the target, he was coming for him.What was the point of Bran being marked? Why was he the target? He also knew Arya would kill the night king, he gave her the dagger in the same spot she killed him.

What about the Prince that was promised? The Night King always let's Jon live? What was the point of that? The point of Craster and the baby scrifices? Absolutely everything they put into the army of the dead and the night king, the nuance, the mystery was wasted.

All of last season - the army of the dead is coming, winter is coming we have to team up to stop them. It's been the second leading build up besides Cersei's cunning power grab. He was just another zombie; the fan theories are way better than what the show writers gave us. It's not Seinfeld ending bad, but it doesn't sit well when you think it thorough. It feels like a mechanism to get people together to go after Cersei. They could have done much more with the whole white walker and NK arc. The army of the dead might have well been the Frays.

Edited by Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Did Arya kill the Night King with Littlefinger's dagger that was used in the assassination attempt against Bran in Season 1?

Yup.  Littlefinger gave it back to Bran last season. Bran gave it to Arya knowing she'd use it to kill the Night King being as Bran's able to see into the future and explains why he's so calm throughout the whole ordeal.  Unfortunately, since Bran knows how everything will play out he can't give any warnings about what's to come or they won't happen.  He knew Theon was going to die hence the "you're a good man Theon" dialogue.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bran was the target, he was coming for him.What was the point of Bran being marked? Why was he the target? He also knew Arya would kill the night king, he gave her the dagger in the same spot she killed him.

What about the Prince that was promised? The Night King always let's Jon live? What was the point of that? The point of Craster and the baby scrifices? Absolutely everything they put into the army of the dead and the night king, the nuance, the mystery was wasted.

All of last season - the army of the dead is coming, winter is coming we have to team up to stop them. It's been the second leading build up besides Cersei's cunning power grab. He was just another zombie; the fan theories are way better than what the show writers gave us. It's not Seinfeld ending bad, but it doesn't sit well when you think it thorough. It feels like a mechanism to get people together to go after Cersei. They could have done much more with the whole white walker and NK arc. The army of the dead might have well been the Frays.

I understand what you're asking.   The problem with fan theories is though they're interesting,  in many instances it's wishful thinking.   Bran was the target of the NK because Bran is the three eyed raven.   Remember the NK got the original TER (Max von Sydow).  The greenseer power was transferred to Bran.  I don't recall why there was this link between the NK and the TER.  I'm wondering if it was explained in the books.  Was it because the NK knew the TER, being all knowing would know how to defeat him?

As to letting Jon live...just because Jon didn't die at the hands of the wights I wouldn't say he "let" him live.

We have to take the original books into account with respect to the writers and the direction of the story.  This may compel me to read them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I understand what you're asking.   The problem with fan theories is though they're interesting,  in many instances it's wishful thinking.   Bran was the target of the NK because Bran is the three eyed raven.   Remember the NK got the original TER (Max von Sydow).  The greenseer power was transferred to Bran.  I don't recall why there was this link between the NK and the TER.  I'm wondering if it was explained in the books.  Was it because the NK knew the TER, being all knowing would know how to defeat him?

As to letting Jon live...just because Jon didn't die at the hands of the wights I wouldn't say he "let" him live.

We have to take the original books into account with respect to the writers and the direction of the story.  This may compel me to read them.

Absolutely. 99% of fan fic (the good fan fic) is very entertaining but can’t achieve what the showrunners are ultimately trying to do. Fan fic is selective, by its very nature. No fan, no matter how big, agrees with everything and everywhere the story is going. So they pick and choose. Problem is inherent in that picking and choosing you’re changing things, ignoring things. No long running show (or movie franchise ?) has perfect continuity anyways, but they are trying to keep it at least a little consistent. Catering to fan theories and fan fic is folly. Although some of it is very good.

• Like (+1) 2