Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

42 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Jorah's sword arguably saved Dany.  And Jon Snow went on something of a tear with his.  

I guess, but a routine sword could have done the same. I was hoping to see White Walkers shattering from being stabbed by valerian steel and their wight minions exploding as a result. It didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the episode so it’s all good, but for all the talk and build up of the importance of dragon glass and valerian steel to fight the army of the dead, I thought it would play a bigger role. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

I guess, but a routine sword could have done the same. I was hoping to see White Walkers shattering from being stabbed by valerian steel and their wight minions exploding as a result. It didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the episode so it’s all good, but for all the talk and build up of the importance of dragon glass and valerian steel to fight the army of the dead, I thought it would play a bigger role. 

Actually no.    Only Valerian steel could "kill" a white walker and the Generals and NK.   since he had the obsidian shoved into his heart by the children only steel would do it 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

My guess is that if a WW is struck by valerian steel or dragon glass, they cannot be resurrected. 

Edited by ricojes

34 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

FIFY

I disagree. Littlefinger gave it to Bran and Bran gave it to Arya, who trained with it afterward. That dagger became hers in every sense of the word. 

I love the irony of the dagger that played such a prominent role in starting the war at the series beginning, played such a huge role in winning the battle in the war against the dead. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Actually no.    Only Valerian steel could "kill" a white walker and the Generals and NK.   since he had the obsidian shoved into his heart by the children only steel would do it 

Yeah, I know all that. I think you misunderstood my post in response to DC Tom. 

3 minutes ago, ricojes said:

My guess is that is a WW is struck by valerian steel or dragon glass, they cannot be resurrected. 

Perhaps.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Just spectacle.

I have been so immersed in the characters in this show, that I felt I was in the scenes with them.  From the second the Dothraki lights went out, you could see the fear mounting on the faces of them all.  Like Brienne said last season, forget oaths and families...this is about survival and they all knew they were really up against it.  Battle plans were now out of the window.  This was the classic "O sh..  moment."  (Or as Davos would have said in his marvelous Scottish accent:  "We're fooked.")   When Arya is in the library, hiding from the wights...I sat as motionless as she did.  The faces of the characters in the crypt spoke volumes.  I was tense that entire episode.

This whole series has been so well done and so well acted.  I don't understand where you see this as just spectacle.

We'll agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Trust me there is a big twist coming that is going to throw our worlds upside down.  Martin has stated there would be 3 major twists.  Shereen(sp) being burned alive is one, hold the door was 2, and there is one coming at the very end.  I believe Weiss or Benioff, one of them  has said it will be at the very end.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

52 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

seeing the Night King turn into Nathan Peterman with that spear throw kinda stunk

Of everything you've written about last night's episode, finally something I can agree with.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I have been so immersed in the characters in this show, that I felt I was in the scenes with them.  From the second the Dothraki lights went out, you could see the fear mounting on the faces of them all.  Like Brienne said last season, forget oaths and families...this is about survival and they all knew they were really up against it.  Battle plans were now out of the window.  This was the classic "O sh..  moment."  (Or as Davos would have said in his marvelous Scottish accent:  "We're fooked.")   When Arya is in the library, hiding from the wights...I sat as motionless as she did.  The faces of the characters in the crypt spoke volumes.  I was tense that entire episode.

This whole series has been so well done and so well acted.  I don't understand where you see this as just spectacle.

We'll agree to disagree.

Yeah, I agree with this.  It was an extremely tense episode.

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

Last night's episode was my least favorite of the season by a mile. It wasn't even the best battle episode the show has ever done. 

- Not enough main character deaths, rendering the episode much less emotionally impactful than it could've been and making the payoff (death of Night King) seem less well earned. When did the show that kills everyone off become afraid to kill people off. There are only three episodes left, do we really still need to have Brienne and Samwell around?

- I guess they're just NOT going to explain any more about the Night King's origin, motivations, connection with Bran, or about Bran's time traveling, what his whole purpose as a character is, etc? Where was Bran while he was warging during battle? Just hanging out in a raven/crow, flying around watching the battle? Why? What's the point? The showmakers seem ashamed of or uninterested in the fantasy aspects of the show. Disappointing.

- The entire buildup of the show, from the very first scene, has been about the Whitewalkers and "winter is coming". And then THAT episode happens and it's over in one night? And now we just move on to the battle with Cersei?

I'm sorry, but after all the buildup and mythology and the way the framed the importance of the Whitewalkers and the Night King and Bran and his journey, I really hoped there would be a more satisfying, thorough payoff. At least some explanation. Instead, it's starting to feel like the last few episodes of Lost, where you realize they're just never gonna explain so many of the things that need explaining.

I'll still look eagerly forward to the remaining episodes, but I found last night's episode to be vastly underwhelming, disappointing, and I felt it really missed the mark.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

We'll agree to disagree.

It's the same with Avengers endgame. People who don't really care about the characters were bored during the first 2/3rds of the movie. The same people that complained that the first two episodes of GOT were filler. Some people are fans. Others are just along for the spectacle.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

- The entire buildup of the show, from the very first scene, has been about the Whitewalkers and "winter is coming". And then THAT episode happens and it's over in one night? And now we just move on to the battle with Cersei?

Feels like the day after Christmas...

• Like (+1) 2

From Twitter:

"That's a bad shot............ I don't care what anybody says.

That's a bad shot. But hey, she made it.

That story will be told. It was a bad shot.

You live with that."

D5Sf-Y6XkAIlYBX.jpg:large

"So the centerpiece of our battle plan will be having everyone surround and protect Bran so he can fly a bird around Winterfell while we all die."

"Okay sounds good."

• Haha (+1) 3

@Logic yeah, man, I just have to disagree with almost all of that.  You really want more "development" of a character who doesn't speak?  We learned of his origin and his quest for the ultimate revenge.

As for ending the NK and WW with three episodes to go -- the battle for Westeros (Iron Throne) has been every bit as large a part of the story as the battle against the WW.  Probably more so -- it's just that they had to address the WW before they can get to that.

If seeing Theon redeem himself and Arya kill the NK wasn't enough of a "payoff" for you that's really too bad.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

And that's why the end was a let down. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

From Twitter:

"That's a bad shot............ I don't care what anybody says.

That's a bad shot. But hey, she made it.

That story will be told. It was a bad shot.

You live with that."

"So the centerpiece of our battle plan will be having everyone surround and protect Bran so he can fly a bird around Winterfell while we all die."

"Okay sounds good."

Anyone with even a marginal understanding of military strategy (or watched a documentary on youtube) could have employed a better plan than the one used in Episode 3.

Anyone who's ever played an PVP MMO game would have done a better job than what they came up with...

...but, I'm trying not to think about it.

Edited by unbillievable

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Are you confusing White Walkers (generals) with wights (their soldiers), perhaps? 

Sam Tarly killed a White Walker with a dragon glass dagger found at the Fist of the First Men. John killed one at Hardhome with valerian steel as well. And of course we saw another White Walker killed and shattered with steel (and their wights shattered as a result) when John and the boys went north of the wall to bring back a dead soldier to show Cersei.  

Lots of wights were smashed with regular swords and other weapons in the few other times we’ve seen them engaged. 

10 minutes ago, eball said:

@Logic yeah, man, I just have to disagree with almost all of that.  You really want more "development" of a character who doesn't speak?  We learned of his origin and his quest for the ultimate revenge.

As for ending the NK and WW with three episodes to go -- the battle for Westeros (Iron Throne) has been every bit as large a part of the story as the battle against the WW.  Probably more so -- it's just that they had to address the WW before they can get to that.

If seeing Theon redeem himself and Arya kill the NK wasn't enough of a "payoff" for you that's really too bad.

That's cool. We can agree to disagree. I know the episode was divisive.

I liked parts of it. Theon, li'l miss sassy Mormont the Giant Killer, Arya being the one to kill the Night King. All of that was great.

As for the Whitewalkers and the Night King? Yeah, I wanted more. The first scene of the show features them. The press for the show, the famous slogan "Winter is coming", all of it...is about them. We've been led to believe for 8 seasons that they are the be-all, end-all threat in the GOT universe. Like someone else said, they spent most of last season getting everyone to come together to fight this great threat. And all for what? Sure, it was a big, grisly battle. But even then, we really lost no main characters of consequence other than Theon. At least if they had parted with some of the Briennes and Samwells of the world, the victory at the end would have felt more well earned. As it stands, there were really no emotional losses felt by the viewer other than Theon. As a whole, with how beautifully the previous episode portrayed what should have been some beautiful farewells, there just weren't enough important casualties to make this battle seem as important as we were all led to believe it would be...especially for THIS show, in THIS universe, where they have typically not been afraid to kill off main characters.

And again: Yes, I feel the viewers want/deserve more explanation of the Night King, his motivations (other than "Kill human! Human bad!"), his connection with Bran, etc.. Instead, they let him be a generic bad guy with generic motivations, they wasted all the buildup of Bran's story arc, they didn't properly/adequately flesh out the importance or emotional/storytelling weight of ANY of it.

Like I said, I will still watch the end of this thing eagerly. I just feel massively let down by the decisions that Benioff and Weiss have made. They really wasted some quality nuance and buildup and storytelling because, well...why? I'm not really sure. A shame.

EDIT: And again...what the ***** was Bran doing Warging into a raven and just flying around all battle long? What was the point of that? Just silly.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

Last night's episode was my least favorite of the season by a mile. It wasn't even the best battle episode the show has ever done. 

- Not enough main character deaths, rendering the episode much less emotionally impactful than it could've been and making the payoff (death of Night King) seem less well earned. When did the show that kills everyone off become afraid to kill people off. There are only three episodes left, do we really still need to have Brienne and Samwell around?

- I guess they're just NOT going to explain any more about the Night King's origin, motivations, connection with Bran, or about Bran's time traveling, what his whole purpose as a character is, etc? Where was Bran while he was warging during battle? Just hanging out in a raven/crow, flying around watching the battle? Why? What's the point? The showmakers seem ashamed of or uninterested in the fantasy aspects of the show. Disappointing.

I'm sorry, but after all the buildup and mythology and the way the framed the importance of the Whitewalkers and the Night King and Bran and his journey, I really hoped there would be a more satisfying, thorough payoff. At least some explanation. Instead, it's starting to feel like the last few episodes of Lost, where you realize they're just never gonna explain so many of the things that need explaining.

I'll still look eagerly forward to the remaining episodes, but I found last night's episode to be vastly underwhelming, disappointing, and I felt it really missed the mark.

I suspect a lot of the “explaining” will occur in the prequel series currently in production.

• Like (+1) 2