Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

21 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm just popping in as a non-watcher because after all the reaction i am seeing online, i kind wish i do/did watch, i feel like i missed something pretty special.  Enjoy the rest of the series for all of you fans!

Someone at work told us that she doesn't watch Marvel movies or Game of thrones, and was annoyed that it was all anyone talked about last week.

I actually feel sorry for her... because she missed the best weekend of entertainment in media History. (Not to mention the NFL draft was on too).

To me, it would be like being the only kid who didn't bother to see Star Wars in the 70's.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

they kind of crumble

giphy.gif

the super decayed crumble 

13 minutes ago, eball said:

So with the NK destroyed does that mean winter ends?

the severe winter ...

per the lore (books) some winters can last years in the north 

39 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm just popping in as a non-watcher because after all the reaction i am seeing online, i kind wish i do/did watch, i feel like i missed something pretty special.  Enjoy the rest of the series for all of you fans!

Well....   If you have 5 or 6 days of free time you could binge watch 1 season every day and catch up.  

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

per the lore (books) some winters can last years in the north 

Yeah, but I guess my point is whether the "long" winters were because of the NK and his army.  I mean, why would any particular season last "years?"

Arya's kill count 

The Night King  (Season ?

It turns out, I guess, that the Prince That Was Promised was actually Arya, since she’s the one who delivered the killing blow to the Night King. Which in turn killed all the other White Walkers and the entire army of dead people. It’s impossible to guess how many kills that is, but for the purposes of the counter we’ll just count the Night Kind here since all those wights were already dead and she only indirectly killed the other White Walkers.

Kill count (official): 65

Kill count (unofficial): 100,000+

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-thrones-everyone-arya-stark-115004037.html

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, but I guess my point is whether the "long" winters were because of the NK and his army.  I mean, why would any particular season last "years?"

the NK's winter would be forever is my guess 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Count me among the non-marvel watchers also, i also wish i could have part of that craze this weekend.  Eventually I will watch them, but to date I really have never sat down to watch any of them. I have seen Iron Man and Guardians but not really all the way through start to finish, parts here and there.  I have a friend who is a big fan of them and he has given me the order to watch them in.  One of these days i will sit down to watch them,  In the meantime I will just be a bit jealous of all of y'all who are so geeked about what you saw this weekend.

oh yeah, never watched Star Wars either. :blink:

26 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Someone at work told us that she doesn't watch Marvel movies or Game of thrones, and was annoyed that it was all anyone talked about last week.

I actually feel sorry for her... because she missed the best weekend of entertainment in media History. (Not to mention the NFL draft was on too).

To me, it would be like being the only kid who didn't bother to see Star Wars in the 70's.

Edited by The Poojer

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Jorah's sword arguably saved Dany.  And Jon Snow went on something of a tear with his.  

Yeah, kind of sucks for Sam that his family sword saved his father's and brother's murderer.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Also, I expected valerian steel to play a more important role.

Keeping track of who had a sword was pointless.

The dragon glass weapons were pretty primitive. Anyone who had a badass sword had the valerian. The importance came from the need for dragon glass weapons for everyone.

2 hours ago, snafu said:

Thats what books are for, though it looks like we shall never see them. I hold out small hope that perhaps Martin will announce the next book release soon after this season ends.  

As for a TV soap opera with magic, dragons and zombies, the producers and network tend not to dig so deep.  It seems to me that a lot of what characters and plot they focus on is driven by fan reactions, popularity, and budget. 

Last night was like watching a natural disaster. After awhile it became numbing and all I wanted to do by the end was take a head count. What’s going to be really annoying to me is that it appears from the previews that they will make a quick pivot from one plotloine to another.  There are mounds of corpses in Winterfell.

You can tell when they shifted from the books and when they drifted on their own. 

How long have they hyped "winter is coming", NK and WW teaser posters, etc. the magic was a big part of this show and is what separates it from The Tudors and other period pieces. Even last week with the symbol and the umber kid on the wall - all of that as of now appears to be used for nothing. This entire arc was simply used as a vehicle to bring Jon and Dany together and unite the remaining forces against Cersei. I get that the show is highly tied to the War of the Roses, but it should have been so much more focused on the dead for another episode. Next week will be -reassessing the who is left, allegiances and going south. The following week will be fighting in Kings Landing and the last will be finally killing Cersei and the final move for the throne. The mysticism of this arc is what kept me going and involved in the series. NOw it feels like simply another, fight for power in the 1400s type show. Meh.. 

Others mentioned it hear, the dragon fight scenes were somewhat underwhelming. And seeing the Night King turn into Nathan Peterman with that spear throw kinda stunk. I am probably being over critical, but it felt like the night king should have "won" the battle, ala The Empire Strikes Back, only to have the remaining people be able to regroup and take him down; possibly with wildfire in Kings Landing (which I am sure we will see Cersei wield this again). Yeah we all knew the only way to beat them was killing the NK and that there would be piles of bodies, the ending and how all that went down just fell flat for me. I am sure there will be one last twist or 2, but just like that the WWs are all gone after 1000s of years? Maybe Bran or Arya become the new night king and queen since they've been touched by the NK. Meh..

I agree with your last few lines. The pivot is going to be quick and fast. Danny and Jon issues, Tyrion and Jamie dealing with Bron (or how that goes down), does Jamie fight for Danny? Did Tyrion sell out Danny in Season 6? Etc. 

57 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Me, too. The only valerian steel that mattered was Arya’s Littlefingers dagger. 

FIFY

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bran was the target, he was coming for him.What was the point of Bran being marked? Why was he the target? He also knew Arya would kill the night king, he gave her the dagger in the same spot she killed him.

What about the Prince that was promised? The Night King always let's Jon live? What was the point of that? The point of Craster and the baby scrifices? Absolutely everything they put into the army of the dead and the night king, the nuance, the mystery was wasted.

All of last season - the army of the dead is coming, winter is coming we have to team up to stop them. It's been the second leading build up besides Cersei's cunning power grab. He was just another zombie; the fan theories are way better than what the show writers gave us. It's not Seinfeld ending bad, but it doesn't sit well when you think it thorough. It feels like a mechanism to get people together to go after Cersei. They could have done much more with the whole white walker and NK arc. The army of the dead might have well been the Frays.

Ever since the fat one stopped writing and the show got ahead of the books it has seemed rushed and wasted so many opportunities.

It's still the best damn show on television or in movies though.

Could have been so much better though...

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Arya's kill count 

The Night King  (Season ?

It turns out, I guess, that the Prince That Was Promised was actually Arya, since she’s the one who delivered the killing blow to the Night King. Which in turn killed all the other White Walkers and the entire army of dead people. It’s impossible to guess how many kills that is, but for the purposes of the counter we’ll just count the Night Kind here since all those wights were already dead and she only indirectly killed the other White Walkers.

Kill count (official): 65

Kill count (unofficial): 100,000+

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-thrones-everyone-arya-stark-115004037.html

the NK's winter would be forever is my guess 

I loved it when Davos was watching her in action, “Holy *****!”

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I understand what you're asking.   The problem with fan theories is though they're interesting,  in many instances it's wishful thinking.   Bran was the target of the NK because Bran is the three eyed raven.   Remember the NK got the original TER (Max von Sydow).  The greenseer power was transferred to Bran.  I don't recall why there was this link between the NK and the TER.  I'm wondering if it was explained in the books.  Was it because the NK knew the TER, being all knowing would know how to defeat him?

As to letting Jon live...just because Jon didn't die at the hands of the wights I wouldn't say he "let" him live.

We have to take the original books into account with respect to the writers and the direction of the story.  This may compel me to read them.

In every scene with the NK & Jon, the NK could easily wipe him out every time and never does (this was like the 4th time). There is always this look he gives Jon, raises his hands and Jon escapes. I get the series is most likely about Jon (Fire & Ice), but still there is this whole arc that just wasn't used at all besides as a vehicle to get Jon and Dany together. It really feels like there needs to be more depth to flesh it out a bit

1 minute ago, stosh64 said:

Ever since the fat one stopped writing and the show got ahead of the books it has seemed rushed and wasted so many opportunities.

It's still the best damn show on television or in movies though.

Pretty much...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

In every scene with the NK & Jon, the NK could easily wipe him out every time and never does (this was like the 4th time). There is always this look he gives Jon, raises his hands and Jon escapes. I get the series is most likely about Jon (Fire & Ice), but still there is this whole arc that just wasn't used at all besides as a vehicle to get Jon and Dany together. It really feels like there needs to be more depth to flesh it out a bit

Pretty much...

Now you are just whining.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
37 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Last night was entertaining to watch, and there were some good payoffs, but there was a lot that was less than satisfying as well story-wise.

It's because the twist is coming in the final episode.  It will all make sense then.

9 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

* I also didn't understand why they didn't just post up with a dragon atop one of the walls to spit fire at the horde as they were breaching the trenches... 

They actually did have a plan, that's why Danny and Jon were watching from a distance to start.  They were supposed to wait for the ice dragon and NK to appear and attack them with both dragons.  But when the dothraki were decimated in the initial charge, Danny's emotions got the better of her and she hopped on her dragon early. 

4 hours ago, eball said:

I'm convinced that viewers who pay attention to all of the "fan theories" just set themselves up for disappointment.  What happened was pretty straightforward -- Bran wasn't the NK, the NK wasn't secretly riding his dragon to Kings Landing, etc., etc.

I'm not a fan of today's directors' love affair with "dark" scenes but it's really hard to create a realistic night time battle scene without it being dark.

Closing Melisandre's arc with Arya (and then Sir Davos) was excellent storytelling.

With the Northern army decimated it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I still think Dany dies -- she's no better than her father and shouldn't "win" the throne.

Tyrion and Sansa were my only two predictions of characters who will last the entire show -- that thought was strengthened last night.

I will take your initial advice and pay no attention to your theories...:nana:

Edited by ricojes
  • Haha (+1) 1