Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

Just now, Logic said:

Lots of others. There's a pretty large contingent of dissatisfied/disappointed people out there in Game of Thrones internet land today...

Possibly at the end there is something that ties it all together, but for all of it's build up throughout all of the seasons...it felt like this

image.jpeg.2e64d2015f54ebf5cc59c21eb0236a31.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

@Logic yeah, agreeing to disagree is cool.  No emotional attachment to losing Jorah?  Or Beric?  I mean, Jorah has been around since the beginning.

I'm just not as tied to the "mystery" of the NK.  He was created by the children to kill men, and it got out of hand.  He wasn't a complex character, which is why I wasn't left wanting for more of an explanation.  He was a human killing machine.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, eball said:

@Logic yeah, agreeing to disagree is cool.  No emotional attachment to losing Jorah?  Or Beric?  I mean, Jorah has been around since the beginning.

I'm just not as tied to the "mystery" of the NK.  He was created by the children to kill men, and it got out of hand.  He wasn't a complex character, which is why I wasn't left wanting for more of an explanation.  He was a human killing machine.

Would've at least been nice to see him swing his sword a bit, no?

For a dude that's been waiting thousands of years for this moment, he kind of went out like a   b i t c h

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

That's cool. We can agree to disagree. I know the episode was divisive.

I liked parts of it. Theon, li'l miss sassy Mormont the Giant Killer, Arya being the one to kill the Night King. All of that was great.

As for the Whitewalkers and the Night King? Yeah, I wanted more. The first scene of the show features them. The press for the show, the famous slogan "Winter is coming", all of it...is about them. We've been led to believe for 8 seasons that they are the be-all, end-all threat in the GOT universe. Like someone else said, they spent most of last season getting everyone to come together to fight this great threat. And all for what? Sure, it was a big, grisly battle. But even then, we really lost no main characters of consequence other than Theon. At least if they had parted with some of the Briennes and Samwells of the world, the victory at the end would have felt more well earned. As it stands, there were really no emotional losses felt by the viewer other than Theon. As a whole, with how beautifully the previous episode portrayed what should have been some beautiful farewells, there just weren't enough important casualties to make this battle seem as important as we were all led to believe it would be...especially for THIS show, in THIS universe, where they have typically not been afraid to kill off main characters.

And again: Yes, I feel the viewers want/deserve more explanation of the Night King, his motivations (other than "Kill human! Human bad!"), his connection with Bran, etc.. Instead, they let him be a generic bad guy with generic motivations, they wasted all the buildup of Bran's story arc, they didn't properly/adequately flesh out the importance or emotional/storytelling weight of ANY of it.

Like I said, I will still watch the end of this thing eagerly. I just feel massively let down by the decisions that Benioff and Weiss have made. They really wasted some quality nuance and buildup and storytelling because, well...why? I'm not really sure. A shame.

EDIT: And again...what the ***** was Bran doing Warging into a raven and just flying around all battle long? What was the point of that? Just silly.

Gonna address the bolded sections here:

1. Winter is coming is not about them.  It is the Stark's family words.  Maybe in a round about way those words are a warning of sorts but they have more to do with the Starks than they do the WW.

2.  I thought more main characters would die but Jorrah and Theon are both main characters that have been in all 8 seasons.  Melisande and Beric served there purpose.  Brienne wouldn't have been emotional as everyone expected her to die imo.  Sam will be alive at the end to write this story (also imo).

3  This was explained last episode.  The NK wants to erase humanity and Bran is the memory.  

4.  Just a theory here but one I liked... Bran was in the past making sure all events had lined up correctly to have this moment come as he envisioned it.  Rewatch the kill scene.  Bran and NK are locked in a stare, Bran looks over NK shoulder (checking for Arya imo), NK looks confused, realizes, turns and catches Arya.  I'm in the camp that Bran knew how this would play out but would endager it if he spoke of it.  Episode 1 I got the feeling that he was plotting/planning with all his creepy snaeking around.

That said, I think any pay off was going to be a let down.  This season alone has been built up for 2 years and people have had that long to come to their own conclusions.  I didn't like how dark the episode was but I get it.  I really didn't like the dragons flying around in the clouds.  There was some bad cgi last night and a decent amount of time wasted (it felt). 

I enjoyed last night for a few reasons.  First the call back from Melisande with the quote of closing blue eyes.  The dagger as others have stated, starting the war of the 5 kings and ending the great war, the moment Jon charged the NK and he turned around to just raise the dead almost saying I don't care about you, Lady Mormont taking out the giant, Hound freezing yet again and coming to for Arya, the tension in the crypts (I thought we had a double suicide brewing), and more.

I'm excited to see the rest of this play out!

• Like (+1) 5

43 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Watching the episode, the zombies were "dying" from superficial cuts. That means that all they had to do was touch them with it.

Dragonglass seems to just suck all the re-animation magic from the zombies.

They should have been making shields with it.

true...  one dagger to the eye shouldn't kill a giant.  

though the flaming arrows should have been dragonglass as well  (but lets let that slide) 

One last question.  I know @SDS talked about green eyes possibly being Cersei but what color eyes did Little Finger have?  I looked at pictures but couldn't tell.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

though the flaming arrows should have been dragonglass as well  (but lets let that slide) 

Wasn't an arrow to the eye what finally finished him off when he was alive?  I thought that is why he only had 1 eye?

Just checked and it was indeed the kill shot from Ramsay Bolton.  He should have shot at Jon lol

Edited by section122

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Last night's episode was my least favorite of the season by a mile. It wasn't even the best battle episode the show has ever done. 

- Not enough main character deaths, rendering the episode much less emotionally impactful than it could've been and making the payoff (death of Night King) seem less well earned. When did the show that kills everyone off become afraid to kill people off. There are only three episodes left, do we really still need to have Brienne and Samwell around?

Sam "will be the person who writes down the history of the events" ... so I think he may still be needed.  

If you want backstories ... read or re read the books 

Just now, section122 said:

One last question.  I know @SDS talked about green eyes possibly being Cersei but what color eyes did Little Finger have?  I looked at pictures but couldn't tell.

He had blue eyes -- but as Arya said, Sansa killed him (she passed the sentence) -- so I think that's how they work around that one.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

True, that. For crissakes, they made a human pin cushion of Wun Wun and then a shot in the eye to get him down. 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He had blue eyes -- but as Arya said, Sansa killed him (she passed the sentence) -- so I think that's how they work around that one.

Thanks I actually thought they were Brown.  Might be time to get my own eyes checked! :ph34r:

I still think Sansa ends up on the throne but now I am wondering if the North gets its independence (Scotland) and Sansa rules it likely with Tyrion as that couple seems to work.  

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

I think people have turned Game of Thrones into Survivor, where everyone has to die before we get to a sole survivor at the end.

Agreed.  I also think people are forgetting that there is an entire other battle remaining to be fought.  There is still plenty of time for main characters to die.

15 minutes ago, section122 said:

Wasn't an arrow to the eye what finally finished him off when he was alive?  I thought that is why he only had 1 eye?

Just checked and it was indeed the kill shot from Ramsay Bolton.  He should have shot at Jon lol

It was a different Giant (of at least 4 shown walking south of the wall).

Wun Wun was burned with the other dead fighters after the battle of the bastards.  

for the geeks 

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Wun_Weg_Wun_Dar_Wun

You want to believe me or a bunch of clueless people in the internet???  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, section122 said:

Thanks I actually thought they were Brown.  Might be time to get my own eyes checked! :ph34r:

I still think Sansa ends up on the throne but now I am wondering if the North gets its independence (Scotland) and Sansa rules it likely with Tyrion as that couple seems to work.  

I had to double check on Google Image so don't feel bad :lol::beer: 

I think Dany has to give Sansa the North now, and I'm all for her and Tyrion staying married. The north was just decimated, its thin population gutted and its best castle destroyed... I'm not sure Dany will want to tackle the rebuilding project in the north, so best to let Sansa and Tyrion (and Bran the re-Builder) do it. 

32 minutes ago, eball said:

I hated to see Jorah go, didn’t care at all about Reek though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I had to double check on Google Image so don't feel bad :lol::beer: 

I think Dany has to give Sansa the North now, and I'm all for her and Tyrion staying married. The north was just decimated, its thin population gutted and its best castle destroyed... I'm not sure Dany will want to tackle the rebuilding project in the north, so best to let Sansa and Tyrion (and Bran the re-Builder) do it. 

I know it is dumb but Sansa having red hair just clicked last night as Scottish since this is loosely based on England.  I thought she would end on the throne but episode 2 when she was so adamant about the north having independence led me to believe she is happy staying right in winterfell.

I wonder about even farther north now though.  It has to be completely uninhabited all the way down to winterfell now right?  Wildlings are all either dead or at Winterfell.  Night's watch doesn't exist anymore.  Umbers were destroyed as were the Mormonts.  Who is left in the North to rule over? lol

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rico said:

I hated to see Jorah go, didn’t care at all about Reek though.

I'm surprised how little play Jorah's death is receiving.  He was a major character completely devoted to Dany.  Along with Theon, we saw two of the biggest redemption stories of the entire series meet their ends in heroic ways.

But "not enough major characters died."  Umm, ok.

• Like (+1) 3