Updated Allen Scouting Report

Buffalo716

With the season coming to a close I have decided to re watch every Allen play and reevaluate him.

What I have loved is his decisiveness since coming back from injury.. Whether it is tucking and running or passing he looks a lot more comfortable 

NEGATIVES

-too much hero ball at times

-Doesn’t secure the ball when scrambling up through pocket

- can still find some touch on shorter throws

-consistent footwork still work in progress 

-needs to take less hits

-inconsistent ball placement at times

- can work on decision making when scrambling

-needs to find checkdown occasionally 

POSITIVES

- a TD threat every single play

- Truly Big Time arm. Howitzer. Can drop a football anywhere on the field 

-Decisive and dangerous runner

- High end mobility 

- Escape Artist

-Opens up playbook

-Threat on bootlegs

-Threat to Run/Pass in man

-Reading zones is improving 

-Fired up game personality 

-Throws intermediate routes on frozen rope

-Quick learner

-good quick out

-sells good play fake 

-makes players better

-great deep curl

CONCLUSION 

I would have been the first one to say that Allen needed a year on the bench. We didn’t surround him with great talent or veteran leadership 

He has taken the bull by the horns . He has become a leader by example before our eyes and is making young inexperienced players around him better, like Foster and Mckenzie 

He has some inconsistencies he needs to clean up but otherwise I am very pleased and somewhat shocked how well he has played

Stats can Be misleading and his play and demeanor tell a different story. He is arguably the best player on our offense now and giving him some lineman and receivers and a TE should be priority 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I agree with everything you said. 

I think some of the negatives will work themselves out because he's proven he's ABLE to learn. Some QB's say the right thing about their mistakes but he shows he's able to fix them. For example I doubt we'll see him fumble another ball while running up the middle unless the defense makes some great play on it. The carelessness with the ball will go away. Also, I think he'll learn to develop that "touch" for the shorter throws which should also help the receivers catch some of those lasers that get dropped. 

The future is very exciting with Allen that's for sure!

• Like (+1) 1

There is definitely a lot to like about Allen. His arm and athleticism are things you can't teach. When he sets his feet correctly then you see the accuracy. I'd like to see him hit a few more of those deep passes. He has missed some wide open guys this year. Hopefully a full offseason of work helps him to become more decisive as well. We need to help him by upgrading the talent around him, particularly on the OL and with the WR group. He looks the part considering he's just a rookie and there is a lot to be encouraged about. 

1 minute ago, Westside Madness said:

Many of the points are repetitive...makes me itchy.

Some may seem “repetitive” 

but high end mobility and escape artist are different 

the former is how well he moves around. Latter is how well he shrugs off pressure

Decisive and dangerous runner obviously coincides with threat on bootleg. But bootleg denotes 1 thing.

Same with threat to Pass/Run in man... it’s explicitly MAN . He doesnt take off as much in zone.. they are slightly different 

but thank you for commenting 

6 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Thanks for the write-up.  So to sum it up, he is a rookie who needs to continue improving and has potential to be a franchise guy.......

Every QB in the league has to keep improving daily. If you aren’t improving you are regressing in the NFL

If you made me a betting man and said does Josh get us to the playoffs over 6 Times in his career I’d say Yes

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I actually think he has been pretty good at not taking hits....he takes MORE hits when he stays in the pocket.

No you are right 100% . He takes vicious hit in the pocket , worse than outside

but he still lowers his shoulder against 250 pound linebackers. Time and place for that

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

No you are right 100% . He takes vicious hit in the pocket , worse than outside

but he still lowers his shoulder against 250 pound linebackers....

...when he's not hurtling them.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

With the season coming to a close I have decided to re watch every Allen play and reevaluate him.

What I have loved is his decisiveness since coming back from injury.. Whether it is tucking and running or passing he looks a lot more comfortable 

NEGATIVES

-needs to take less hits

POSITIVES

- High end mobility 

- Escape Artist

-Opens up playbook

-Threat on bootlegs

-Quick learner

-good quick out

-sells good play fake 

-makes players better

-great deep curl

CONCLUSION 

I would have been the first one to say that Allen needed a year on the bench. We didn’t surround him with great talent or veteran leadership 

He has taken the bull by the horns . He has become a leader by example before our eyes and is making young inexperienced players around him better, like Foster and Mckenzie 

He has some inconsistencies he needs to clean up but otherwise I am very pleased and somewhat shocked how well he has played

Stats can Be misleading and his play and demeanor tell a different story. He is arguably the best player on our offense now and giving him some lineman and receivers and a TE should be priority 

I always enjoy reading your takes. I know we had some discussions on him predraft and I believe he exceeded both of our expectations. I have been very impressed with his rookie season. Especially in the accuracy and reading defence categories. He still has a long ways to go but I think he is going to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 17islongenough said:

I think he is talking about when he scrambles and then throws the ball in traffic instead of throwing it away

I think asking for clarification is a better approach than calling it “stupid”, but maybe that’s just me. 

• Like (+1) 1

I look forward to what the Bills offense looks like when they have an actual legitimate running game to go with Allen. I think all kinds of things will open up. Being totally dependent on Allen's running to have any semblance of balance and for his contributions running near the goal line to have any kind of a red zone running threat is a lot to put on him. It's a heavy lift for him every game. I admire his efforts every week. The more talent they put around him the better he'll be.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

That can happen to him in the pocket too. Ideally you'd like to see Allen grow into a pocket QB and I do think we'll see that next year. 

It can happen anywhere.

i didn’t explicitly state that he needed to get hit less inside or outside the pocket, just hit less 

His dual threat capabilities are what makes him so hard to contain rn though 

• Like (+1) 1

You left out one of his most important traits.

LEADER.

This dude, for better or worse, has put this team on his back and become a leader of men.  He has the respect and trust of both the offense and defense, and that is not an easy thing to do this early in his career.  

Additionally his intelligence, work ethic, competitive fire, and determination have all been on full display in his short career.  And those things are the fuel behind his growth and will continue to be.  Its one of the reasons I have so much confidence in his future.  The amount of strides he has made in short periods of time are impressive.  This goes back to the end of College Football season.  The leaps he made in short period of time working with Palmer was incredible, and one of things that made me go from a guy who wanted nothing to do with him, to a guy who had him ranked just behind Mayfield as the #2 QB prospect on draft night.  Seeing him go from 3rd string to almost winning the job outright in preseason was another big burst.  Seeing him go from Chargers game to Vikes game was another big stride.  Seeing how much he grew in his absence in his first game back against Jax was another big stride.  And even the growth he has shown in key areas over the last 4 weeks.

I mean this kid just keeps getting better in short windows.  Now think about him using all those traits bolded above while having an entire offseason as the #1 QB, all the extra reps, having most of a season of film to study, and getting some better help around him.  This kids arrow is pointing real high right now.

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You left out one of his most important traits.

LEADER.

This dude, for better or worse, has put this team on his back and become a leader of men.  He has the respect and trust of both the offense and defense, and that is not an easy thing to do this early in his career.  

Additionally his intelligence, work ethic, competitive fire, and determination have all been on full display in his short career.  And those things are the fuel behind his growth and will continue to be.  Its one of the reasons I have so much confidence in his future.  The amount of strides he has made in short periods of time are impressive.  This goes back to the end of College Football season.  The leaps he made in short period of time working with Palmer was incredible, and one of things that made me go from a guy who wanted nothing to do with him, to a guy who had him ranked just behind Mayfield as the #2 QB prospect on draft night.  Seeing him go from 3rd string to almost winning the job outright in preseason was another big burst.  Seeing him go from Chargers game to Vikes game was another big stride.  Seeing how much he grew in his absence in his first game back against Jax was another big stride.  And even the growth he has shown in key areas over the last 4 weeks.

I mean this kid just keeps getting better in short windows.  Now think about him using all those traits bolded above while having an entire offseason as the #1 QB, all the extra reps, having most of a season of film to study, and getting some better help around him.  This kids arrow is pointing real high right now.

I mentioned his leadership in the breakdown just not when I bulleted them

And I did mention his competitive fire as well ??

arrow definitely pointing up

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

NEGATIVES

-needs to take less hits

POSITIVES

- High end mobility 

- Escape Artist

-Opens up playbook

-Threat on bootlegs

-Quick learner

-good quick out

-sells good play fake 

-makes players better

-great deep curl

CONCLUSION 

What is your experience scouting NFL QB’s?  

6 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

What is your experience scouting NFL QB’s?  

Ive been around the game my whole life . Grew up on a football field... Some people arithmetic came easy, for me it was football knowledge 

I was drawing up plays for my HS coach. I have coached and scouted 

And I break down the top 5-8 Draft eligible QBs every year after watching every snap for a long time 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ive been around the game my whole life . Grew up on a football field... Some people arithmetic came easy, for me it was football knowledge 

I was drawing up plays for my HS coach. I have coached and scouted 

And I break down the top 5-8 Draft eligible QBs every year after watching every snap for a long time 

Ok just wondering.  I’m only a fan but what you said made a lot sense

Allen was getting what, maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the first team reps through August and September? Because he wasn't supposed to start. That certainly stunted his learning early in the season. He actually overcame quite a bit being thrown in there while not being fully prepared. We'll never see a less experienced Josh Allen and hopefully never see him play with a less talented offense.  It's gonna be Christmas in August when the preseason kicks off. I also think Allen may be the hook to bring in Free Agents on offense. Nobody was looking at any of our previous QBs that way over the last ten years.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Trying to make a big play when it just isn't there - forcing a pass into coverage when nobody is open.

The definition of hero ball seems to have different meanings, depending on who you are talking to.  Some folks think it means thinking (erroneously) that you're the guy who should have the ball when a big play is needed.

I don't understand all this kerfuffle about hero ball. I understand Josh ideally stays in the pocket but he has no choice.

As to the hero ball, Buffalo has needed a hero for nearly 20 plus years. It's high time the naysayers get on board. I don't listen to popular music but I know there was a recent song about I need a hero. Well Buffalo finally has one and some people seem to prefer mediocre at best. It'll be fine by me if my grandchildren grow up with a football hero and that man is Josh Allen. Plain as day if you watched the Miced up segment from this board.

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

The definition of hero ball seems to have different meanings, depending on who you are talking to.  Some folks think it means thinking (erroneously) that you're the guy who should have the ball when a big play is needed.

4 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I don't understand all this kerfuffle about hero ball. I understand Josh ideally stays in the pocket but he has no choice.

As to the hero ball, Buffalo has needed a hero for nearly 20 plus years. It's high time the naysayers get on board. I don't listen to popular music but I know there was a recent song about I need a hero. Well Buffalo finally has one and some people seem to prefer mediocre at best. It'll be fine by me if my grandchildren grow up with a football hero and that man is Josh Allen. Plain as day if you watched the Miced up segment from this board.

Hero ball refers to when Josh or ANY QB adlibs On a play when they should live for another down

its not a scramble or an actual play call where positive yards are to be had

its when Josh leaves the pocket and should throw the ball away but he forces it downfield into an interception 

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

NEGATIVES

-needs to take less hits

POSITIVES

- High end mobility 

- Escape Artist

-Opens up playbook

-Threat on bootlegs

-Quick learner

-good quick out

-sells good play fake 

-makes players better

-great deep curl

CONCLUSION 

Great analysis.  I would add tremendous work ethic and a leader of men.  He inspires others around him to raise their level of play.

He is the real deal.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hero ball refers to when Josh or ANY QB adlibs On a play when they should live for another down

its when Josh leaves the pocket and should throw the ball away but he forces it downfield into an interception 

Oh, I get what YOU mean, just saying that the few different interpretations of the term are causing confusion for folks. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Do you not want to see the young man try to make a play? I understand that none of want to see him injured, but I didn't see Brett Favre throwing balls away very often and it turned out pretty well for him career AND longeivity wise.Maybe it's just me, but I like a gunslinger mentality.