Josh Allen: NBC Sports Boston Reporter Shares The “Blueprint” To Beat Him

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

11 would have got it done last week.

I also said they are a different animal at HOME.. on the road they have struggled a lot but at home they have doninateddominated

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very true, but they usually had other things worry about.  I don’t believe there is anyone who will need be double teamed in your WR group?  So 8 in the box daring him to throw again be the way to go.. 

The first game with Pats - Anderson and Peterman combined for 313 yards with about a 59% completion %, 0 touchdowns and 1 Pick-6 int.  but only managed 2 field goals.  

A good example of how passing yards and comp. % don't mean squat.  
And that was in the middle of the Bills 6 game streak where they went 1-5 and scored a total of 46 points (7.6 pts per game)  Allen played in the first 2 1/2 of those games.  

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Bills scored 14 points....

If the Pats do this, and hold us to 14, they’ll most like beat us.

We threw for about 200 yards and ran for about 100, against a pretty bad defense. Let’s not pretend we were prolific against a top D, just because we won last week.

This is the way I would play JA until he consistently proves the league wrong on it. 

Before  everybody gets all up in arms because I said something other than total praise and perfection of JA. It’s not that I don’t think he will get there. It is just an honest inventory of where he is right now. 

And NE scored a whopping 10 against the Titans and the Steelers this year, but I will grant you that the Bills have not been able to put up big offensive numbers. I do think that they have been a drop away from putting up better numbers each week - we will see if the O can get'er done this week.

It's the ageless game of chess that is played in the NFL.  QBs come into the league with unique skill sets.  Sometimes they do one particular thing in such a way it can only be described as unique.  There are great runners from the QB position in the NFL, but none who are quite as dynamic as Josh Allen was during his recent streak.  It's more than obvious that teams which play against the Bills are going to take that facet of the game away from him.  It is a given that if the defense focusses on taking something away, there will be other things they can't defend as well. Josh Allen and the Bills for their part are working hard to develop other areas in his game, so that if someone proves capable of corraling Josh so he can't run effectively, he will be able to take advantage of things the defense isn't defending as well.  As has been mentioned, Detroit tried to do that.  Josh did well enough in other areas for the Bills to pull off the win.  The NBC reporter was not wrong as far as he went.  Josh Allen doesn't do a lot of things better than most other QBs at this point in time.  He throws a nice deep ball, but he's only got one receiver who has been able both to get open and catch the ball Robert Foster.  I'm sure Brian Daboll and Josh Allen are well aware of the situation, and Josh is working as hard as he can to become a well rounded QB who just happens to run extremely well and has the strongest arm in the league.  In a year's time, hopefully if Belichick schemes to take away both Allen's opportunities for running and Foster's opportunities to get open downfield, Josh Allen will be able to hurt them in other ways.  There's always a chance Buffalo could win Sunday, but it's not going to be easy.  Next year, I think it will be easier.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If we were paying Gilmore an average annual salary of $13 million, how many more wins do you think we would have right now?

Gimore can be having a better season than White and the Bills could have made the right decision to not compete for his services. It's not an either or proposition.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Even if that blueprint is the exact way to beat Allen. Good luck keeping him in the pocket. 

Josh is like John Elway and teams are finding that out.  I still say we win 28-0 leaving New England fans scratching their heads wondering what Josh will do for the next ten or twelve years to them. Along with defense finding ways to hone in and zone in on forcing turn overs.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffalover4life said:

Big surprise, 3 rookie QBs with weak supporting casts and offensive lines are bad from the pocket. I bet the stats also show Josh is getting better from the pocket .. Detroit read the blue print. Didn't work for em

Yep. Can't wait to see what the haters have to say when he plays lights out in NE. The supporting cast isn't very good, but they're improving and Josh is ready to take the next step. He's not gonna fold in NE like Free J Manuel. Manuel was a good man, but a terrible QB. Josh is the real McCoy. I'll be discouraged if he doesn't play well in NE. I don't expect that to happen. There's too much fight in that dog.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If we were paying Gilmore an average annual salary of $13 million, how many more wins do you think we would have right now?

I don’t know is Gilmore going to give up mid-zone and allow another heart breaking catch?  Or, completely give up on covering guys like Gronk?  Tre does not give up and he’s hungry enough to learn and make adjustments. In some of the zone and man coverage assignments you can see that in the second tier level someone missed their coverage alignments as well.  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

14 points to be correct. I don't know what will beat the Pats, but I'm looking for continued improvement from Allen as he gains more experience as the more important thing in the long run with victory over NE not exactly the expectation. 

I think they are a tough matchup without Milano especially.  I’m hoping the Bills can keep it close and then come up with a big turnover down the stretch 

7 minutes ago, buffalover4life said:

Big surprise, 3 rookie QBs with weak supporting casts and offensive lines are bad from the pocket. I bet the stats also show Josh is getting better from the pocket .. Detroit read the blue print. Didn't work for em

As I’d stated before my brother-in-law is not even talking football with me.  Completely ticked off that New England has no real future at Quarterback.  Jimmy G is out and he was hoping that they would trade up and take Josh Allen.  Since that didn’t happen he’s been grumbling about what happens in the next year or two.  

23 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Gimore can be having a better season than White and the Bills could have made the right decision to not compete for his services. It's not an either or proposition.

I agree completely. Truthfully I haven't been watching Gilmore much this season. I know last year Patriots fans hated him and blamed him for their defense suddenly tanking. I also know that I'd much rather pay White his rookie salary with the 5th year option.

As for Belichick always making the best decisions, that has never been true. I think we won the Matt Milano on a rookie deal vs Mike Gillislee for one season trade.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

Proving that he is not a taller version of Teh-Rod.

I think the kid is versatile and Dabol knew what  Detroit was planning based on their stats.

I hope he rips the Brady bunch a new one :)

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

I also said they are a different animal at HOME.. on the road they have struggled a lot but at home they have doninateddominated

Very true, but they usually had other things worry about.  I don’t believe there is anyone who will need be double teamed in your WR group?  So 8 in the box daring him to throw again be the way to go.. 

Single-team our WR's at your own risk...  

If they try to keep him in the pocket it will be better for his development as a passer. That’s fine, we need him to improve at all aspects as quick as possible.

Get this kids some real weapons and an Oline and soon they won’t have any idea how to stop him.

Edited by BananaB

7 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

To be fair, we do the exact same thing here with players from other teams. Some of us may intently follow other teams as well, but the vast majority of people here, as well as any sports "expert" or "analyst" simply refer to stats and highlights. 

That being said, there are accurate analyses out there for every team, and certainly groups that cover each team well. But stuff like this? Armchair research at best.

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Who needs be doubled? Honestly asking..

Honest answer - nobody.  The Bills will need to have a strong run game to win, which isn't out of the question.  Get Shady into at least some space and let Ivory handle the power runs.  If Daboll insist on handing the ball off to Shady behind the line, and the Oline can't open up holes, that will be futile.

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

Not surprising.   If we weren't Bills fans, would we want to watch entire games of this team?...     

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jletha said:

All of his season long stats incorporate his first 4 games which were admittedly awful. If you trim the stats to only the last 4 then he is much better. Thats the problem most national guys are having.

Yep. Who here thinks it’s a coincidence that the bottom 3 guys are all rookies? It takes time.

My definition of success for this season was Josh showing progress and giving us hope. We’ve got that.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills OL is a weakness.......their receiving corps is not good...........their running backs have been ineffective all season.

It's dumb for a team to let Allen run for 100 yards and sustain drives all day.

Keep the spy in.......contain him.......use that gap integrity to stuff the running game and make Zay Jones,  Robert Foster and Deonte Thompson beat you.

My guess is Gilmore will be on Foster Sunday...........Zay has not been able to get open now that he's been getting more attention the past two weeks..........but I think Belichick will try to take away Foster and take his chances with Jones and Thompson.

I agree, Belicheat knows that Zay will drop at least two passes.

13 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Dude, I’ve been on this site this year! I know how “Elite” your we are.. I see the complaining lol

Lol. Just having some fun with ya.  Our WRs are a scrappy bunch. 

Edited by stony

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

Agreed.  Detroit has a significantly more athletic linebakers than NE.  Allen is an interesting case.  Our wr struggle vs man.  That creates running voids.  Allen has the arm to fit the ball in a window the size of a needle.  Imo this is a perfect late season barometer to gauge Allen's progression.  I think Allen does better than most expect.  Those that haven't seen Allen the last 4 weeks will be running to his bandwagon.  I think Buffalo loses but the story will be Allen and, wow give him some dudes.  

Just now, Mat68 said:

Agreed.  Detroit has a significantly more athletic linebakers than NE.  Allen is an interesting case.  Our wr struggle vs man.  That creates running voids.  Allen has the arm to fit the ball in a window the size of a needle.  Imo this is a perfect late season barometer to gauge Allen's progression.  I think Allen does better than most expect.  Those that haven't seen Allen the last 4 weeks will be running to his bandwagon.  I think Buffalo loses but the story will be Allen and, wow give him some dudes.  

You know Belichick will do everything to take Foster away and make Allen seek out other targets. Zay Jones better bring it this week. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You know Belichick will do everything to take Foster away and make Allen seek out other targets. Zay Jones better bring it this week. 

Yes but than does he allow a bad team to run on him? You playing man 1 with the safety over top foster all game? Imo th sneaky thing about Allen and foster is how long Allen holds it til he throws deep.  Its deeper than any team can practice. Hoyers not testing that defense. 

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Yes but than does he allow a bad team to run on him? You playing man 1 with the safety over top foster all game? Imo th sneaky thing about Allen and foster is how long Allen holds it til he throws deep.  Its deeper than any team can practice. Hoyers not testing that defense. 

Foster as the Bills' most dangerous receiver will draw Gilmore I believe.  Belichick and his D just faced Antonio and JuJu last week, so I think they'll be ready. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Foster as the Bills' most dangerous receiver will draw Gilmore I believe.  Belichick and his D just faced Antonio and JuJu last week, so I think they'll be ready. 

Right but I'm ok with Gilmore tracking a ball 50 yards down the feild 1 on 1 or any NE defender.  The deep cross is something Gilmore cant defend 1 on 1.  Now I do see Gilmore on Jones and erasing him from existing.  Foster like Hill will have chances.  Does him and Allen connect on them.

Well that IS the blueprint. Contain him in the pocket and make him beat them with his arm.

That's the blueprint for any young, mobile QB.

Allen's biggest weapon right now is his feet. He is inconsistent with his arm. If he is going to make mistakes it is with his arm, so you want him to throw it rather than run it.

And if Allen hangs 14 points on them? Big deal. That's not going to beat the Pats. So absolutely they should be containing him and playing their gaps to keep him in the pocket.

But if that writer thinks he's some genius for figuring that out, he's a moron because everyone knows that.

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Lol it's also what everyone else has done this season, and he's been awful.

Forgive me if I don't put much stock in a win against Matt Patricia in the Lions & think he'll play the same way against Bill Belichick & the Patriots -_-

It's funny that fans will pretend they only remember the exceptions to the rule while ignoring the rule itself. It's been a common occurrence this year, and it's shocking people haven't learned from being burned so many times.

On the flip side, if Allen gets stomped by the Patriots, I won't blame him as much as I would any other week. It's the Patriots, we're the Bills. They have destroyed us for nearly 2 decades now. If I were Allen, I'd just sling away. If you lose, oh well. So did every other Bills QB - REPEATEDLY. If you win, you look like a million bucks. So go for broke.