Josh Allen: NBC Sports Boston Reporter Shares The “Blueprint” To Beat Him

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

My God if you analyzed every QB like that they would all be franchise QBs, NFL is a game of inches, you either get it done or you dont.

And to quote you, "Allen had a couple he got away with, but let's chalk that up to his inexperience. "  Doesnt matter why, results matter, he isnt going to be that much more experienced a week later.

I stand by my point 13 points versus the Pats in Foxboro. odds of us winning that are 1%.  I think the much maligned reporter in this thread is correct, keep J Allen in the pocket to win.

He's not a franchise QB yet. He's still developing with plenty of positive signs that he could be.  The immediacy of this week's upcoming game is something I'm looking beyond even if others such as you are not. It's another opportunity to face a challenge that he'll learn from to his benefit in the long run whether they win or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/josh-allen-stat-gives-patriots-blueprint-beat-bills-week-16

This morning, I came across this article from NBC Sports Boston.  I was trying to find news on Josh Allen and saw a headline about a a “blueprint” to beat Josh Allen.  

It’s clear that the author of this article hasn’t watch any Bills games, outside of the highlights on ESPN.

He says the Patriots need to keep Josh Allen in the pocket because he’s among one of the lowest ranked among passers.

What he fails to mention is that this was the same strategy employed by former Patriots DC Matt Patricia last week.  It didn’t really work and Allen was steady and competent, though not great, when passing from the pocket.  

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

The Bills scored 14 points at home last week against an average defense. That's actually not impressive. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Max Kellerman said on First Take the other day, when discussing the Pats never having to deal with QB's in the AFCE,  "Sam Darnold is still a baby and the Jets and Bills don't have QB's."

I don't mind criticism, and Allen deserves some - he needs to work on his accuracy/touch and hitting his checkdowns, but it's really obnoxious that these people make comments like this and clearly don't watch Josh Allen or the Buffalo Bills.

There's a reason why the actual NFL guys, who watch tape and delve into analytics, like Josh Allen.  There's also a reason why lazy ESPN types parrot the false narrative that he's a runner who can't throw. 

I cannot wait to get some OL & WR upgrades for next year so JA can shut these clowns up.

Expecting solid Bills analysis from ESPN is like expecting a good ribeye from McDonalds. Both give you nothing but heartburn. ?

Edited by WotAGuy

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not a franchise QB yet. He's still developing with plenty of positive signs that he could be.  The immediacy of this week's upcoming game is something I'm looking beyond even if others such as you are not. It's another opportunity to face a challenge that he'll learn from to his benefit in the long run whether they win or not. 

You cant follow what i am saying and you make this inn accurate assumptions.

The discussion was how to contain Allen, this week for the PAts, not if Allen would be a future franchise QB, just what he is now.  And when did I ever say i wasnt looking forward to this game, I very much am.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You cant follow what i am saying and you make this inn accurate assumptions.

The discussion was how to contain Allen, this week for the PAts, not if Allen would be a future franchise QB, just what he is now.  And when did I ever say i wasnt looking forward to this game, I very much am.

Your words: My God if you analyzed every QB like that they would all be franchise QBs, NFL is a game of inches, you either get it done or you dont.

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beyond the stats,  consider the following:

43 yard PI call on a beautifully thrown ball to Foster to set up the 1st TD that was run in by Allen. The narrow miss on the deep pass to Deonte Thompson that was a great throw and read by Allen.  The intermediate throw to Zay Jones OTM that was a tad high, but I consider it a dropped pass. Again a great read.  Zay also had at least one other pass he could have come down with.  Allen had a couple he got away with, but let's chalk that up to his inexperience.  Allen had a good day in the pocket with the Lions' D limiting opportunities to extend plays to either throw or make plays with his legs.  It was a good day for Allen on the progress and growth chart.

The NE offense isn't some juggernaut these days and losing Gordon won't help their cause.

No it is not, but it is a totally different animal (usually) at home.. add in they are angry and I don’t think 14 points wins the game.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills OL is a weakness.......their receiving corps is not good...........their running backs have been ineffective all season.

It's dumb for a team to let Allen run for 100 yards and sustain drives all day.

Keep the spy in.......contain him.......use that gap integrity to stuff the running game and make Zay Jones,  Robert Foster and Deonte Thompson beat you.

My guess is Gilmore will be on Foster Sunday...........Zay has not been able to get open now that he's been getting more attention the past two weeks..........but I think Belichick will try to take away Foster and take his chances with Jones and Thompson.

I doubt that Pats play much man to man with Gilmore in match up.  Why?  Daboll has been running patterns at single deep safety (man coverage pkg) and beating it with deep throwback pattern by running 2 verticals at safety (think touchdown this past week).  The cover CB has to chase Foster across the whole field.  Billy Boy likely dials up zone coverages and forces Josh to throw into windows.  Also forces relatively inexperienced and familiar receivers to know when to sit down in pockets etc and causes miscommunication with Josh.  I hope they put Gilmore on Foster because Gilmore is slow and has trouble with deep ball.

And the Patriots are wicked slow (see what I did there) at LB position - can't wait to see who they put as the spy.  If they play Man  D with a Spy Josh will go off big time

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Patriots defense is not a great unit by any objective measure.

You know, I can’t figure that D out? One week they stink beyond all stinkage.. (at Miami) next week they shut down two of the best WR in the NFL in JuJu and Brown.  I honestly have no idea which D will show up this week..

• Like (+1) 2

I think the way to beat him right now is relentless pressure and blitzing while using a spy in case he runs. One aspect of his game he needs to work on is a 3 step drop where hes throwing quick slants. I think that they will not give up the run or the long pass, but will try to pressure him.

We have a weak oline and no running backs. It's in Allen's best interest to develop his 'quick hit' game early on to get them to back off. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was pleased with Allen's progress last week...........but they only scored 14 points.

At this point the blueprint is accurate.

There are going to be drives where Allen is inaccurate from the pocket and there are going to be drives where receivers don't make plays.

If you let him run you allow the Bills to move the chains more.......possibly lose field position battles all day.........and at worst get nickeled and dimed with field goals on drives that are otherwise 3 and outs.

It's wise to make him beat you from the pocket and it's also in the best interest of the Bills and Josh Allen to get THIS kind of experience.

totally agree---

If they keep Allen in the pocket--- he will be forced into some turnovers , some bad throws, some bad reads

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/josh-allen-stat-gives-patriots-blueprint-beat-bills-week-16

This morning, I came across this article from NBC Sports Boston.  I was trying to find news on Josh Allen and saw a headline about a a “blueprint” to beat Josh Allen.  

It’s clear that the author of this article hasn’t watch any Bills games, outside of the highlights on ESPN.

He says the Patriots need to keep Josh Allen in the pocket because he’s among one of the lowest ranked among passers.

What he fails to mention is that this was the same strategy employed by former Patriots DC Matt Patricia last week.  It didn’t really work and Allen was steady and competent, though not great, when passing from the pocket.  

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

I wouldn't say that Detroit did a bad job.  Anytime you keep a team to 14 points in the NFL you should win.  If we score 14 against the Pats I would think were in a lot of trouble.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm really hoping to see a big game from Zay before this season ends.  He's quickly losing my interest as I'd much rather see Allen targeting Foster and McKenzie.   I agree that Foster has emerged as the guy teams will slide coverage to. 

One thing is for sure, this is about as excited as I can ever imagine myself getting for a game where we're wildly out of playoff contention.

Zay is being asked to play a #1 or #2 role and he is suited for neither.  He should be a #3 in the slot.  Foster is probably well suited for a #2 so the Bills will need to figure out the #1 between FA and the draft.

• Like (+1) 2