Barnwell: Progress Report on 2018 1st Round QBs

DCOrange

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Just to play devil's advocate (I've said too much already), working back to someone like Allen given his arm strength is not always the best choice. We're not talking about an arm like Matt Ryan's here. He overthrows people a LOT. I wouldn't blame Clay for that. He was wide open in the middle of the EZ and Allen missed him.

When the receiver gets both hands on the football, that is not a miss.   Or at least that what my coach in pee wees told me.  You get your hands on it, catch it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hes a cot guy just like circus catch.  

Nice: throwing out insulting nicknames because someone doesn't agree with you in an attempt at cut-down humor. Also find me posts where I indicate that I ever thought Taylor had a ceiling that was ever higher than "decent QB" who was the best option the Bills had at the time given the other options out there.

Guys just go on facebook. The algorithms won’t allow you to read things you don’t agree with. That way you can just stay put in your reality without being bothered by different opinions. Your reality won’t grow and you can pretend to be happy. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Thank god for the unbiased media that can sort out my thoughts on the situation.

Im truly relived to learn that Josh Allen is dog ***** and Sam Darnold is playing all 11 positions on offense.

thank you ESPN! This is why you’re the greatest sports news outlet, and not a laughingstock!!

??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think, and I could be wrong here, that he's probably comparing Allen to Tyrod because Allen is replacing Tyrod. The fact that he happens to be running more often than Tyrod ever did only makes the comparison more obvious. There aren't many QBs in the league that run a significant enough amount to really compare Allen to and it just so happens that one of them is the guy that he's replaced.

He calls Allen "a less impressive version of Taylor." What does that even mean? Allen is actually running the ball better than Tyrod ever did and he attempts passes Tyrod never tried. The only relation is they are both good at running the ball.

He starts the article off by saying he watched each QB's last 2 starts to judge their progress, then he makes a convoluted connection to Tyrod by saying Allen has averaged 181 yards in all 8 starts. Allen has averaged 219 passing yards in his last 2 starts, and 337 total yards. I don't think there was ever a point where Tyrod averaged that much production over any 2 game period. The comparison is lazy. He sounds like someone with a bone to pick.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think, and I could be wrong here, that he's probably comparing Allen to Tyrod because Allen is replacing Tyrod. The fact that he happens to be running more often than Tyrod ever did only makes the comparison more obvious. There aren't many QBs in the league that run a significant enough amount to really compare Allen to and it just so happens that one of them is the guy that he's replaced.

It would be worth noting in his comparison, then, that Allen is working with 2/5 of the talent on the offensive line that Taylor was afforded. That would be even the most MARGINAL analysis in examining why Allen's running so often. But all he said was 'Allen's a worse Taylor' which kind of lays bare the basis of his argument, which goes back to what he was writing all 2017 and into the offseason: the Bills are dumb for letting Taylor go. Barnwell is transparent here.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I've had this argument before. Just because a pass hits a receiver in the hands doesn't mean it's very catchable. There was a knock-down drag-out argument years back when a Taylor pass sailed off the top of Watkins' fingertips when the Bills were down by one score against the Pats and on their last possession, and the tendency was to blame Watkins because "it hit him in the hands." It was essentially uncatchable, however, and an errant throw. 

This was not an attempt where the pass flew off the fingertips and the receiver had to jump. Clays arms and hands were under the ball with a chance to either catch with his hands or trap it into his chest. I am not making the argument that every pass that hits a receiver's hands should be caught. I am saying this pass should have been caught, hence the accurate enough.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm only on the second paragraph, where he states "so far the Bills have gotten a less impressive version of Tyrod" and already see where this article is headed. In his first 5 starts he was overall pretty rough but the last 3 he has exceeded Taylor heavily in the pass game as well as with his legs! Just last week, people forget, his last drive, where he made 3 big time clutch throws that Taylor would never even attempt, as well as his 3rd down beautiful back shoulder throw to Zay around the 5 yard line that was actually called a catch and is a perfect example of how little help Allen has received from his WR corp. The pass was eventually overruled as incomplete, barely , but it should have been the 4th super impressive throw on the drive and set them up lovely with 1st n goal inside the 10 !

The previous week? He magically avoids an instant pass rush from his atrocious OL on the final play, on the road and his veteran , highly paid TE dropped what would have been another GW pass from this "bust". LoL. Bills fans are highly objective over Allen and the majority of us see what i see and that is just tremendous upside and potential as soon as next year. We all see he has an absolutely atrocious OL that all these writers fail to bring up. I just don't understand how this dude can make these type of comments if he has watched the last 3 games, where he is only 1-2 , but if his ST and OL is just average, he is 3-0 and even with them being ATROCIOUS, he still should have had 2 game winning drives with passes that should have been caught. 

I'm as excited as ive ever been, especially for a 4-9 team, I cannot wait til next year where we get to see our FRANCHISE QB with upgraded playmakers and OL shred defenses and these so called experts will have no choice but to report on his amazing skills accurately, because right now he is not getting a fair shake by the national media, who seem like they have a clear agenda against him and are rooting for him to fail and fail themselves to add any insight to why his numbers are so low. Dude is a stud, period, and I'm not no Allen fanboy , i'm just a die hard  Bills fan that calls it how i see it.

Meanwhile , the very first paragraph on Darnold, who has 20 points lower QBR, is how he has the worse supporting cast and no OL , but that was never mentioned with Allen, even when talking about the REASON he is scrambling so much. These guys are either not watching the film, which i doubt, or have that much hatred towards Allen, its truly pathetic and just clear biased takes by so many national writers. Not sure I've ever seen this much hate towards a rookie QB.

Well said, saved me some typing.  

The article was just so poorly written and it’s 100% clear the writer did not watch all 3 games and went off stat sheets and a few plays that made it to Twitter.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He calls Allen "a less impressive version of Taylor." What does that even mean? Allen is actually running the ball better than Tyrod ever did and he attempts passes Tyrod never tried. The only relation is they are both good at running the ball.

He starts the article off by saying he watched each QB's last 2 starts to judge their progress, then he makes a convoluted connection to Tyrod by saying Allen has averaged 181 yards in all 8 starts. Allen has averaged 219 passing yards in his last 2 starts, and 337 total yards. I don't think there was ever a point where Tyrod averaged that much production over any 2 game period. The comparison is lazy. He sounds like someone with a bone to pick.

It means that he's being counted on to make plays with his legs like Tyrod but he's not protecting the ball or throwing it as well as Tyrod did. It's not really that complicated. I don't think he means that they're identical players and that Allen won't develop at all, but it's pretty simple to look at the fact that Allen is literally replacing Tyrod, and like Tyrod, is currently a running QB and make that comparison. At the moment, Allen doesn't compare well to Tyrod statistically but obviously the hope is that that changes as he gains more experience. As Barnwell pointed out, Allen and Tyrod both threw pretty deep on average, with Allen averaging 10.5 air yards per throw versus Tyrod's 9.0, but Tyrod completed a far higher % and did so while protecting the ball far better than Allen has. The hope of course is that Allen will progress, which Tyrod never did, and Allen has certainly shown some improvement since returning from injury so hopefully that continues.

But just because comparing Allen to Tyrod is "lazy", doesn't mean it isn't an apt comparison to make right now, and I think pointing out that Allen hasn't been as good as Tyrod was is an accurate statement at the moment, even if it's not really important in the grand scheme of things since obviously we're concerned with what Allen becomes rather than what he is right now.

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

The Josh Allen section is too long IMO to quote the whole thing, but it's the very first section of the article.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25518645/rookie-nfl-quarterback-progress-reports-2018-draft-picks-shown-far

So I will post this for reference again.  Who does Josh most resemble in style of play and progress made in Year 1?  Granted a different era but Elway was on better team that went 4-1 with Steve DeBerg as starter and made playoffs.  Elway started 10 game and went 4-6.  47.5 % Completion ratio (more downfield throwing then, but so are most of Josh's too) Threw for 7 TDs vs 14 INTs.  Ran 28 times for 146 yds and 1 TD.  He was more of a scrambler (behind the line) than Josh.  Sack Rates, INT rates, fumble rates and TD Rates are similar.  Food for thought.

Elway Passing

No.
Player Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%
7 John Elway 23 QB 11 10 4-6-0 123 259 47.5 1663 7 2.7 14 5.4 49 6.4 4.5 13.5 151.2 54.9   28 218 5.03 3.33 9.8

Elway Rushing

No. Player Age Pos G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
7 John Elway 23 QB 11 10 28 146 1 23 5.2 13.3 2.5                 28 5.2 146 1 6

Allen Passing YTD 
Year
Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%
2018 22 BUF QB 17 9 8 3-5-0 119 227 52.4 1429 5 2.2 9 4.0 75 6.3 5.0 12.0 158.8 62.8 55.1 26 195 4.88 3.67 10.3
Allen Rushing YTD
Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds    
Year
Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
2018 22 BUF QB 17 9 8 66 490 5 45 7.4 54.4 7.3 1 0 0   0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0% 66 7.4 490 5 7

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Barnwell is one of Schopp's idols. he can, therefore, be ignored.

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think pointing out that Allen hasn't been as good as Tyrod was is an accurate statement at the moment

Bolded being the key part of that. Your thinking isn't correct, however.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

OMG!!! He didn’t say our qb with a 63 QB rating and a 5 td to 9 int ratio is awesome!!! What a loser!!!

if you are an outsider looking at the Bills, it looks like a bad move for the Bills.  They moved on from a limited but safe qb who helped them get to the playoffs for one who is a good runner and a struggling passer.  Obviously as Bills fans, we know there were issues with Tyrod.  But y’all are so sensitive.  Allen is exciting, seems to have a great attitude, and has every physical tool you want.  He also is having a worse rookie season than EJ.  Obviously, he is getting more time.  But if Allen was on another team, we probably won’t think he was that good either. 

While I understand where you are coming from, you are also missing the point I think others are irritated about.  The writer doesn’t have to be all rose colored glasses on Allen, it’s fair to be objective and critical.  However, this writer clearly has not watched Allens full games and is basing the vast majority of his opinion on his predraft opinion and cherry picking a few plays and stats to validate it.

Its crystal clear he stat box checked and didn’t watch the last 3 games.  He only reviewed a few plays that made its way to Twitter.  Had he watched the last 3 games, he would know that Allen had a lot of great passes negated by both penalties and drops, plus he threw a lot of passes away because his WRs can’t get open and the OL can’t hold protection.  Yes he references the “drop rate”, but again that’s stat sheet checking which is NOT analysis as stats never show the whole story. And let’s not forget, Bills RBs have also done nothing to help the offense either.

More importantly, anyone looking at his CUMMALTIVE stats to form an opinnion on his growth is an idiot.  Anyone who watched Allen before he got hurt and after he got hurt can tell he is not the same player and has shown vast improvements in a number of areas and has really grown into a leader as well.

Three things are 100% true right now:  

1.  This is a poorly written article devoid of any real analysis of watching film on Allen and firmly rooted in identifying non researched statistics to affirm his predraft opinions.

2.  Allen is not a finished product yet, but has shown a lot of growth while also still having some things he needs to continue to improve to sustain success and be a true franchise QB.

3.  His supporting cast fails him a heck of a lot more times than he makes a terrible head scratching throw.

So while I do understand your point, people upset with this article IMHO have every right to be because it’s mostly cherry picked nonsense to support his predetermined negative outlook on Allen.  I mean the Clay drop thing was one of the stupidest recaps I have seen on that play.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Be careful now, some clever fella is going to deconstruct your whole argument by calling you a fanboy.

13 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

So I will post this for reference again.  Who does Josh most resemble in style of play and progress made in Year 1?  Granted a different era but Elway was on better team that went 4-1 with Steve DeBerg as starter and made playoffs.  Elway started 10 game and went 4-6.  47.5 % Completion ratio (more downfield throwing then, but so are most of Josh's too) Threw for 7 TDs vs 14 INTs.  Ran 28 times for 146 yds and 1 TD.  He was more of a scrambler (behind the line) than Josh.  Sack Rates, INT rates and TD Rates are similar.  Food for thought.

Elway Passing

No.
Player Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%
7 John Elway 23 QB 11 10 4-6-0 123 259 47.5 1663 7 2.7 14 5.4 49 6.4 4.5 13.5 151.2 54.9   28 218 5.03 3.33 9.8

Elway Rushing

No. Player Age Pos G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
7 John Elway 23 QB 11 10 28 146 1 23 5.2 13.3 2.5                 28 5.2 146 1 6

Allen Passing YTD 
Year
Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%
2018 22 BUF QB 17 9 8 3-5-0 119 227 52.4 1429 5 2.2 9 4.0 75 6.3 5.0 12.0 158.8 62.8 55.1 26 195 4.88 3.67 10.3
Allen Rushing YTD
Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds    
Year
Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
2018 22 BUF QB 17 9 8 66 490 5 45 7.4 54.4 7.3 1 0 0   0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0% 66 7.4 490 5 7

I think Elway is Allen's comparable if he hits his ceiling. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Barnwell is not clickbait. He’s posted more meaningful NFL pieces in the last 3 years than Peter King has in the last 30. Keep homering it up tho makes you look smart.

I got no problem with different opinions.....but his analysis is flat WRONG on most of this regarding Allen.

If he wants to be treated as anything other then a hack.....he needs to put more work into it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

But just because comparing Allen to Tyrod is "lazy", doesn't mean it isn't an apt comparison to make right now, and I think pointing out that Allen hasn't been as good as Tyrod was is an accurate statement at the moment,

Then why didn't he compare the other rookie QBs to their predecessors? I guess you could call Sam Darnold a less impressive version of Josh McCown but that would be a pretty ridiculous take. I think Barnwell is still trying to force his point about Tyrod Taylor being better than Bills fans thought. Again I don't care if he doesn't see Allen making progress, even though I strongly disagree, but his take on it was lazy.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They moved on from Tyrod because he was a struggling passer and it continued every year even into Cleveland.  The excuse for Taylor is that he had a terrible supporting cast last year....this is even a worse cast with Allen.  

Sam Darnold is also having a worse year than EJ's rookie year.  Jared Goff also had a worse rookie season than EJ.  These are just based on box score scouting.

If you look at the improvement of Allen, he's ahead of EJ.  Compare Allen now to Allen week 2....there's growth.  EJ never grew and actually regressed as the season went on.

In this article, why is it okay to say that Darnold's struggles are attributed to his supporting cast but for Allen....it's because he's struggling?

C. Bisquit...do you believe that we are very talented on offense and Allen is the reason why it's not an overall very good unit?

1) I was very to move on from Tyrod.  I think the national people saw a qb who helped us get to the playoffs and played effective football.  Obviously, we knew how limited Tyrod was and it was time to move on.  But as of this point, Allen was not an upgrade to Tyrod but obviously he has time to develop.  But to outside people, it looks like a dumb move.

2). How much better was the cast last year?  Obviously the line was better but this year has Zay in his second year.  I think both offensive groups are bad but I don’t see it being a huge upgrade one way or the other.

3) agree on EJ not taking the next step though in his 7th game, he had a 3 td game.  On of the biggest problems with EJ was he seemed like a robot.  I like the fire that Allen plays with.

4) Allen is getting a second year.  But the excuse making gets a little silly.  He’s a top 10 pick and highest drafted qb in our franchise history.  He has struggled with accuracy his whole career.  Why can’t people just admit it’s an issue for him and not blame it on everyone else?  

5). How do Bills fans feel about Rosen?  Because he is ahead of Allen on most passing stats but I’m sure we don’t think he is having a good rookie year.  So that’s how a lot of people probably think when they look at Allen.

i freely admit I wasn’t a fan of the pick.  I hate the upside, not super productive (especially in a low conference) guy.  They terrify me.  But I love the Bills and want him to be great.  But I’m not just going to pretend.  He is pretty much who I thought he would be (he is way faster though than I though).  He’s had good moments and bad ones.  Hopefully, this team gets better at finding offensive talent.  But I certainly can understand why people outside of Bills fans don’t think he i special right now.  I hope he makes them all eat their words but it hasn’t happen yet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

But as of this point, Allen was not an upgrade to Tyrod but obviously he has time to develop.

Maybe but the only rookie who is a clear upgrade on their predecessor at this point is Baker Mayfield. Darnold "as of this point" is not an upgrade to McCown but that isn't a good comparison at all. You don't start a rookie QB because you expect him to immediately elevate your offense. I would have liked this article more if he actually focused on progress that Allen has made or hasn't made instead of making a lazy point about Tyrod Taylor.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) I was very to move on from Tyrod.  I think the national people saw a qb who helped us get to the playoffs and played effective football.  Obviously, we knew how limited Tyrod was and it was time to move on.  But as of this point, Allen was not an upgrade to Tyrod but obviously he has time to develop.  But to outside people, it looks like a dumb move.

2). How much better was the cast last year?  Obviously the line was better but this year has Zay in his second year.  I think both offensive groups are bad but I don’t see it being a huge upgrade one way or the other.

3) agree on EJ not taking the next step though in his 7th game, he had a 3 td game.  On of the biggest problems with EJ was he seemed like a robot.  I like the fire that Allen plays with.

4) Allen is getting a second year.  But the excuse making gets a little silly.  He’s a top 10 pick and highest drafted qb in our franchise history.  He has struggled with accuracy his whole career.  Why can’t people just admit it’s an issue for him and not blame it on everyone else?  

5). How do Bills fans feel about Rosen?  Because he is ahead of Allen on most passing stats but I’m sure we don’t think he is having a good rookie year.  So that’s how a lot of people probably think when they look at Allen.

i freely admit I wasn’t a fan of the pick.  I hate the upside, not super productive (especially in a low conference) guy.  They terrify me.  But I love the Bills and want him to be great.  But I’m not just going to pretend.  He is pretty much who I thought he would be (he is way faster though than I though).  He’s had good moments and bad ones.  Hopefully, this team gets better at finding offensive talent.  But I certainly can understand why people outside of Bills fans don’t think he i special right now.  I hope he makes them all eat their words but it hasn’t happen yet.

Shady being ineffective (due in large part to the line's decline) is a HUGE downgrade from last year. We went from having an RB who was recognized league-wide as a genuine threat to having nothing at the RB position. Shady had 59 catches last year too. He's a good receiver. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

OMG!!! He didn’t say our qb with a 63 QB rating and a 5 td to 9 int ratio is awesome!!! What a loser!!!

if you are an outsider looking at the Bills, it looks like a bad move for the Bills.  They moved on from a limited but safe qb who helped them get to the playoffs for one who is a good runner and a struggling passer.  Obviously as Bills fans, we know there were issues with Tyrod.  But y’all are so sensitive.  Allen is exciting, seems to have a great attitude, and has every physical tool you want.  He also is having a worse rookie season than EJ.  Obviously, he is getting more time.  But if Allen was on another team, we probably won’t think he was that good either. 

But we are talking about so called professional journalists who are supposed to report with intelligence and integrity and  fail to bring up plain as day issues, that any average football fan can see with the OL and the fact he is throwing to only 1 WR that was on the opening day roster , with no run game, it is your job to add insight into why his numbers are the way they are. Just last game he was running for his life on what felt like every play, had his WR drop 5-6 passes right in the breadbasket and still was inches away from two game winning drives, yet none of these writers will mention any of these FACTS... If you can't see the biased reporting towards Allen , open up your eyes! And i don't mean to spread no negativity or attack you personally, i'm just ticked off , all i really want is  for Allen to get a fair shake, if they're going to write about him and this and many other articles are clearly not fair.

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe but the only rookie who is a clear upgrade on their predecessor at this point is Baker Mayfield. Darnold "as of this point" is not an upgrade to McCown but that isn't a good comparison at all. You don't start a rookie QB because you expect him to immediately elevate your offense. I would have liked this article more if he actually focused on progress that Allen has made or hasn't made instead of making a lazy point about Tyrod Taylor.

Agreed.  But we also were a playoff team last year and those other teams were terrible.  With our defense and better qb play, maybe we could have sneak in this year.  

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Shady being ineffective (due in large part to the line's decline) is a HUGE downgrade from last year. We went from having an RB who was recognized league-wide as a genuine threat to having nothing at the RB position. Shady had 59 catches last year too. He's a good receiver. 

Yeah, the losses of crazy Richie and Wood hurt and McCoy is another year older.  Not having a receiver defenses respect deep also hurts. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You know what gets even sillier?  The cherry picking those who are not optimistic do in order to over exaggerate the narratives. I am not saying you are doing it even, but there is a gross over exaggeration of his "inaccuracy" and its almost always stated by someone who had a negative opinion on Allen from the get go.  

Allen is not nearly as inaccurate as the detractors try and paint.  There are far more incompletions because of failures of the cast around him then they are from him making poor throws he should have hit.  Has he sailed or missed on some throws, of course.  But even the best QB's in the NFL do that, but for some reason if Allen misses one people hyper focus on it to prove he isnt accurate.  This doesn't mean he doesn't have things to work on to make him more accurate, of course he does.  But he also isnt nearly as inaccurate as the stat box states and his detractors push.  

1. The reality is he has a number of great passes, some sensational, overturned by penalties.
  2. He has a lot of great passes flat out dropped.  
  3. He has to throw a lot of passes away running for his life as this OL sucks, and he takes big hits while throwing too often too.
  4. Penalties also force him into 2nd and very long and 3rd and very long way too often forcing to take lower percentage deep shots to keep drives alive, and we dont exactly have great WR's to help convert more down and long plays.
  5. His WR's have struggled to get separation and get open on their initial routes.  Like Zay's alleged "breakout" game against Miami...that was such an over exaggeration as Zay struggled to get open and did most of his damage on plays where Allen was running for his life.  
    1. This was also substantially worse when KB was on the field who both was not explosive nor running clean routes and making the effort.
  6. He has no run game around him (mostly due to poor OL play) to help take any pressure off or get into more manageable 2nd and short or 3rd and short situations.
  7. The kid has literally accounted for about 85% of the total yards these last 3 weeks while also taking a pounding out there.  For a rookie adjusting to a longer season, this matters as fatigue comes into play and certainly could see how tired he was on that last drive against Miami.

Bottom line:  He has plenty to work on, as all young QB's due.  But he has been more accurate than the stat sheet throws and definitely more accurate than the detractors keep promoting.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Nice: throwing out insulting nicknames because someone doesn't agree with you in an attempt at cut-down humor. Also find me posts where I indicate that I ever thought Taylor had a ceiling that was ever higher than "decent QB" who was the best option the Bills had at the time given the other options out there.

I’m sorry you used the statement circus catch 

I’m also sorry you feel the need to play the victim after saying circus catch.  

I’m also sorry you bent over backwards to make excuses for 50 yard passing days but down want to go all hardo on the rookie Allen for better performances. 

In conclusion, I have no idea what your watching or how you reach these conclusions and there’s no reason to carry on further 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You know what gets even sillier?  The cherry picking those who are not optimistic do in order to over exaggerate the narratives. I am not saying you are doing it even, but there is a gross over exaggeration of his "inaccuracy" and its almost always stated by someone who had a negative opinion on Allen from the get go.  

Allen is not nearly as inaccurate as the detractors try and paint.  There are far more incompletions because of failures of the cast around him then they are from him making poor throws he should have hit.  Has he sailed or missed on some throws, of course.  But even the best QB's in the NFL do that, but for some reason if Allen misses one people hyper focus on it to prove he isnt accurate.  This doesn't mean he doesn't have things to work on to make him more accurate, of course he does.  But he also isnt nearly as inaccurate as the stat box states and his detractors push.  

1. The reality is he has a number of great passes, some sensational, overturned by penalties.
  2. He has a lot of great passes flat out dropped.  
  3. He has to throw a lot of passes away running for his life as this OL sucks, and he takes big hits while throwing too often too.
  4. Penalties also force him into 2nd and very long and 3rd and very long way too often forcing to take lower percentage deep shots to keep drives alive, and we dont exactly have great WR's to help convert more down and long plays.
  5. His WR's have struggled to get separation and get open on their initial routes.  Like Zay's alleged "breakout" game against Miami...that was such an over exaggeration as Zay struggled to get open and did most of his damage on plays where Allen was running for his life.  
    1. This was also substantially worse when KB was on the field who both was not explosive nor running clean routes and making the effort.
  6. He has no run game around him (mostly due to poor OL play) to help take any pressure off or get into more manageable 2nd and short or 3rd and short situations.
  7. The kid has literally accounted for about 85% of the total yards these last 3 weeks while also taking a pounding out there.  For a rookie adjusting to a longer season, this matters as fatigue comes into play and certainly could see how tired he was on that last drive against Miami.

Bottom line:  He has plenty to work on, as all young QB's due.  But he has been more accurate than the stat sheet throws and definitely more accurate than the detractors keep promoting.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=d629a44c-eff4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&gendersport=boys,football

high school 54%

http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

juco - 49%

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

wyoming - 56%

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Bills - 52.4%

if he improves as passer, he can be special.  But stop acting like it’s some conspiracy that he struggles with his accuracy.

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Then why didn't he compare the other rookie QBs to their predecessors? I guess you could call Sam Darnold a less impressive version of Josh McCown but that would be a pretty ridiculous take. I think Barnwell is still trying to force his point about Tyrod Taylor being better than Bills fans thought. Again I don't care if he doesn't see Allen making progress, even though I strongly disagree, but his take on it was lazy.

Darnold- less impressive version of Josh McCown

Rosen- less impressive version of Carson Palmer

And Mayfield is only a more impressive version of his predecessor by default...defending this take is pretty silly imo.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Guess what...everything you just posted is completely irrelevant.  So there is that too.  Does not matter what he did in previous stops, has literally nothing to do with how is playing TODAY.  Any fool can see a night and day difference in Allen from before his injury and after his injury.  And lets not pretend for a second his coaching in HS and College is even close to what he is getting in the NFL.

And, if you also knew the back story, you would know that Allen was a multi sport athlete and didn't commit fully to football in HS and it was one of the reasons he wasnt recruited as hard.  

No offense, but I really hate this narrative of look at his past as it contains NO CONTEXT, and is literally not relevant unless he was still be coached by the same people on the same teams with the same personnel.  

MORE IMPORTANTLY:  None of what you posted addresses any of the factual things impacting his comp % I just listed that literally have nothing to do with his HS and College stats.  And it was shown a ton of times that his college stats were grossly exaggerated too when you factor in the drops by his WR's and that he was more accurate than the stat sheet. 

This is why its foolish to be a stat sheet analyst instead of breaking down film.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Guess what...everything you just posted is completely irrelevant.  So there is that too.  Does not matter what he did in previous stops, has literally nothing to do with how is playing TODAY.  Any fool can see a night and day difference in Allen from before his injury and after his injury.  And lets not pretend for a second his coaching in HS and College is even close to what he is getting in the NFL.

And, if you also knew the back story, you would know that Allen was a multi sport athlete and didn't commit fully to football in HS and it was one of the reasons he wasnt recruited as hard.  

No offense, but I really hate this narrative of look at his past as it contains NO CONTEXT, and is literally not relevant unless he was still be coached by the same people on the same teams with the same personnel.  

MORE IMPORTANTLY:  None of what you posted addresses any of the factual things impacting his comp % I just listed that literally have nothing to do with his HS and College stats.  And it was shown a ton of times that his college stats were grossly exaggerated too when you factor in the drops by his WR's and that he was more accurate than the stat sheet. 

This is why its foolish to be a stat sheet analyst instead of breaking down film.

Look, brother. I respect your opinion a lot.  I want you and everyone to be right.  This has become a political debate or telling someone their baby is ugly.  I want to be wrong and Allen to be a 60% passer.  Personally, when I see a long track record of something, it worries me. I’m sure people could breakdown why Jake Locker wasnt really inaccurate too.  But at some point, you just need to see it on the field.  

No one questions Allen’s physical ability and want to.  But at some point, stop making excuses, and just become a more accurate qb. He has time and I hope he is just blaming other people for why his % has been lower.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

The previous week? He magically avoids an instant pass rush from his atrocious OL on the final play, on the road and his veteran , highly paid TE dropped what would have been another GW pass from this "bust".

Oh, didn't you hear? That pass was "objectively" bad according to a poster or two on this board. I think, all things considered, it wasn't a great throw but it was catchable. And he was also avoiding pressure, running to his left, throws to his right without stepping into it, all arm, launches it 45-50 yards down the field. Wasn't perfect but it should've been caught. For Fartwell to criticize that throw is absurd. Most QBs in this league don't even attempt that kind of throw. 

These "journalists" have their pre-conceived notions about these players, man. And once those notions enter their brains, they're set in stone. Allen could go 35 of 40 for 611 yards and 8 TDs with 129 rushing yards and there would still be a couple of turds in the punch bowl that would nitpick his game to death. It's so friggin' old. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We are far more knowledgeable on the Bills than a national media sports writer. Duh... Why we don't understand that and take issues nitpicking wrong points instead of trying to seek out subjective opinions outside of our bias, I'll never know. These guys don't have an agenda against the Bills they hardly give a flying ****. 

It's nice to get our heads out of the sand for some fresh perspective outside of this perpetually self reinforcing mob mentality culture. He doesn't know JA nearly as well as we do. We don't know other quarterbacks all around the league over several years nearly as much as he does. Read an article/news source/anything with some sort of reasonable expectation on the writer's bias, knowledge, and potential gaps in knowledge we are far more privy to, and take it with a grain of salt and see if there's any takeaway points. Or never read anything you disagree with. National media hardly ever bothers with the Bills. For me it's great when they do to get some fresh opinions, regardless of if I agree or disagree.. I know how the general football world sees us.

All that said, I think ESPN does suck in general with their writers. It's not their revenue model, they cut corners, and it shows. I'll read anything national media on the Bills but ESPN is probably at the bottom of my list of national media.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

We are far more knowledgeable on the Bills than a national media sports writer. Duh... Why we don't understand that and take issues nitpicking wrong points instead of trying to seek out subjective opinions outside of our bias, I'll never know. These guys don't have an agenda against the Bills they hardly give a flying ****. 

It's nice to get our heads out of the sand for some fresh perspective outside of this perpetually self reinforcing mob mentality culture. He doesn't know JA nearly as well as we do. We don't know other quarterbacks all around the league over several years nearly as much as he does. Read an article/news source/anything with some sort of reasonable expectation on the writer's bias, knowledge, and potential gaps in knowledge we are far more privy to, and take it with a grain of salt and see if there's any takeaway points. Or never read anything you disagree with. National media hardly ever bothers with the Bills. For me it's great when they do to get some fresh opinions, regardless of if I agree or disagree.. I know how the general football world sees us.

I don’t disagree with any of this.  But we are also completely biased.  I’ve said that part of the reason I’m dubious of Allen is because of EJ and JP.  I used to do everything possible to discount all criticism of them.  And overall, the critics proved to be right.  

The greatest part about this is Allen and the Bills can prove doubters wrong.  And I sincerely hope he does.  

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing I care about is his completion percentage as that stat relates directly to his accuracy. My hope is that for the rest of the season, he learns to check down for 6 yards on 3rd and long. He won't get the first down but his completion percentage will be acceptable, and that's all that matters.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

To give an honest and complete evaluation you need to watch all his plays knowing the context they came in.  I  don't believe Barnwell nor any other talking head spends 48 hrs of his life each week watching every game in full.  Even if you watch a condensed version with just the throws you still would not be 100% on how the team was in that down and distance.  If you are a Bills fan and have watched every game in full you have a better feel of how he has played given what he has faced.   He has looked like a different player since  he came back from the elbow.  Bills should have won both of the last two games.  Allen did his part, special teams and too many miscues by the supporting cast with penalties. 

Comparing him to Tyrod is ridiculous  He has already probably converted more third and longs with passes into tight coverage than Tyrod did in his entire tenure as starter.  I think people have a very short memory on how specific  game script had to be  for Bills victories was with Taylor .  Does he need to take another light year leap?  Absolutely but I believe he has the mental fortitude/smarts and will to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

These "journalists" have their pre-conceived notions about these players, man. And once those notions enter their brains, they're set in stone. Allen could go 35 of 40 for 611 yards and 8 TDs with 129 rushing yards and there would still be a couple of turds in the punch bowl that would nitpick his game to death. It's so friggin' old. 

ESPN is pretty crappy journalism. But I think most of the national media consensus (post Allen injury games) is they were wrong in their initial assessment (if they doubted) and he does have enormous potential if not admitting that JA has already materialized much potential into genuine talent already in his rookie season.

I thought the Ringer article, which is much a better journalism source, someone posted last week did a great job admitting their notions of JA were smashed by his recent performances and it was pretty high praise for JA. Naturally we smashed the article for not knowing JA was great the second he was drafted.. I mean even when they do show change in pre-conceived notions we dismiss it haha. I agree quality journalism shouldn't hold onto pre-conceived notions, and they often do hold onto them.. but that's not to say it isn't out there if you look past ESPN and other mega media conglomerates that don't really bother with writing as a revenue stream.. preferring videos (angry runs lol) instead.

Barnwell could have done this

Tyrod

Short

Fast

Cautious

African American

Josh

Tall

Fast

Reckless

Caucasian

And it would have read the same to me.  One guy, with little insight, voicing his opinion

Edited by freddyjj

4 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The only thing I care about is his completion percentage as that stat relates directly to his accuracy. My hope is that for the rest of the season, he learns to check down for 6 yards on 3rd and long. He won't get the first down but his completion percentage will be acceptable, and that's all that matters.

At 52% completion %, he is 31st at yards per attempt at 6.3.  Fitz with his rag doll arm is at 9.62.  There is nothing wrong with getting the ball out quickly to your playmakers.  It’s what every really good qb does and hope Allen learns to do.

8 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

This guy gets it.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But we are also completely biased.

haha ya think? That's what I was saying. Especially being on the forum exposes you to reinforcing bias, even subconsciously. You read 100 different posters regurgitating the same thoughts you'll think "huh they're probably right" and then you make 101 regurgitating that thought. And on and on the self reinforcement cycle goes. We go bananas over EJ and JP and Tyrod early, and follow the mob when it starts to turn.. but ONLY when 40-50% of posters hop on does the snowball start rolling to the opposite side where Tyrod doesn't even belong in the league to some.. silly thought. All leads to a total black and white perspective.

• Thank you (+1) 1