Charles Clay- the most useless player ever

NewEra

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I felt like he had plenty of time on the majority of snaps. Maybe I’m wrong, it won’t be the first time. I was thinking he would really benefit from a legit WR core.

If we are talking about a quick release QB then the Bills OL would give him enough time on half his passes.

JA is not and probably will never be a quick release QB.

Ergo, in my mind getting an average to above average OL is the most important tool Beane could give JA.

Better WR choices will help no doubt but for me not as much as an OL.

No one can tell me what we seen today, when it comes to run blocking, that this OL is at all competent.

All I got to say is suck it up Bills fans..................JA will need an above average OL to succeed.

Personally I think JA can be a great NFL QB.   JA is going to be our QB going forward so I will "concede the need" to get him a line.

When he made a play mid-game I realized two things. One, he was there playing (and I'm serious!). Two, where was is usual twice-a-year dominant performance against the Fins?

IIRC this year the cap space was the same if they kept or cut him so yes you keep him. At the very least he blocks well enough. But next year? Bye.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

If we are talking about a quick release QB then the Bills OL would give him enough time on half his passes.

Ergo, in my mind getting an average to above average OL is the most important tool Beane could give JA.

No one can tell me what we seen today, when it comes to run blocking, that this OL is at all competent.

All I got to say is suck it up Bills fans..................JA will need an above average OL to succeed.

Personally I think JA can be a great NFL QB.   JA is going to be our QB going forward so I will "concede the need" to get him a line.

I’m hammered but I can recall serveral ocassions where JA was bouncing up and down inside the pocket waiting for a WR to open up and then deciding it was best to run. When the Bills get better WRs he will be a nightmare.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

I’m hammered but I can recall serveral ocassions where JA was bouncing up and down inside the pocket waiting for a WR to open up and then deciding it was best to run. When the Bills get better WRs he will be a nightmare.

I'm quite buzzed myself.  LOL.  I agree that JA takes more time than he should to throw the ball.

What I'm saying is if that's true ...............he needs a little more time than an average QB.

When JA breaks the pocket..........he needs receivers that know how to come back and get open, especially a smart good handed TE.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm quite buzzed myself.  LOL.  I agree that JA takes more time than he should to throw the ball.

What I'm saying is if that's true ...............he needs a little more time than an average QB.

When JA breaks the pocket..........he needs receivers that know how to come back and get open, especially a smart good handed TE.

I just don’t think the Oline deserves any blame for today. A competent group of pass catchers would have made the difference today. Josh had time and displayed patience. He ran when the play broke down. I will rewatch tomm in a sober frame of mind but i’m giving Josh an A for today.

• Like (+1) 1

To me, Allen made three heroic plays on that play and then threw a "kinda bad" pass that still should have been caught. If I HAD to assign more blame on whether or not it was a completion or not, I would blame Clay more than Allen. He should have come back a little more. He had two hands on it with no one around him, and then doesn't catch it. Clay needs to make that catch.  

There are all kinds of time when I think I could catch an NFL pass thrown ferociously by some cannon arm QB, even at the age I am now, 50! I'm probably about 90% delusional about that. ;) But I have no doubt in my mind that I would caught that floaty duck that Allen threw if I was as wide open as Clay. The whole play was like some sort of tribute to backyard football, Allen scrambling around, buying time. Picks up a huge block and heaves it down the field and by the time it hits Clay its sooo slow and he drops it. Whatever thread the season was hanging by snaps right there because a guy cannot do what he is paid to do and practices all week long. Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin, the anti clutch, anti money dynamic duo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Looked to me like Clay slipped or stumbled.  He wasn’t trying to dive. 

Clay blocks well and occasionally gets open as a receiver.  That makes him ten times more useful than Benjamin. He’s still overpaid, though. 

I think athletic freak tight ends are a hot commodity.  The Bills need one. I don’t think they have one on the roster at this point. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

That play was on Josh.  Put your pitchforks down.  He also missed a wide open Foster.  Growing pains. We finally have our QB!

Disagree. The Line collapsed and he did everything to keep that play alive IMO. If Clay makes that catch, everyone is applauding Josh. I feel like Clay has to make that catch, no one around and just needs to come back for the ball instead of diving. 

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I just don’t think the Oline deserves any blame for today. A competent group of pass catchers would have made the difference today. Josh had time and displayed patience. He ran when the play broke down. I will rewatch tomm in a sober frame of mind but i’m giving Josh an A for today.

I respect your observations.  I personally think the OL should be addressed as #1.  This will be Beane's call but both OL and WR/TE need to

be the priority.  Let's hope, both being Bills fans, that they get "fixed" in the off season.

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Looked to me like Clay slipped or stumbled.  He wasn’t trying to dive. 

Clay blocks well and occasionally gets open as a receiver.  That makes him ten times more useful than Benjamin. He’s still overpaid, though. 

I think athletic freak tight ends are a hot commodity.  The Bills need one. I don’t think they have one on the roster at this point. 

Yup.  At first I thought he dove to get to the ball, but on replay he clearly stumbles and loses his footing coming back to the ball.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Yup.  At first I thought he dove to get to the ball, but on replay he clearly stumbles and loses his footing coming back to the ball.

So in other words it was a good pass and not a yard or two short?

He definitely should have come back for the ball. He has a lot of time to see it.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He’s our best blocking TE by far......LOL.  Of other 2 TEs one is a WR and the other is a QB.  OF COURSE he’s our best blocking TE.  Good point.......

He made it 40 yards downfield just fine.  And then.  

They've missed his blocking in the run game when he's not playing.

In particular extended a drive with a great block that freed up McCoy earlier in the game.

As I said he's probably the only WR/TE on the roster who couldn't have gotten back to be in much better position to catch that ball............shouldn't have been 40 yards downfield to start with.

Also, as I have said..........you are a terrible poster.     Nonsense is your idea of sense.?

50 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lots of those on offense but Benjamin is number one

KB has been good during the last 4 years.  Clay hasn’t not.  Clays also been getting paid 9 mill a year.  KB only got that much for 1 year.

Edited by NewEra

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Allen has a very quick release. His receivers get no separation. In addition to the quick release he has the cojones to try to let the sad sack receivers get separation. So he holds the ball and gives them time.  Then they drop it. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Show your love for Charles ******* Clay.  You sir, are a bum.  Thanks for one game vs the dolphins years ago.  

I loved allen’s game today in many ways, but that was a straight up highly errant throw. It didn’t even make the goal line. No receiver should be expected to catch that with any regularity. It would have been a circus catch on a very inaccurate throw. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They've missed his blocking in the run game when he's not playing.

In particular extended a drive with a great block that freed up McCoy earlier in the game.

As I said he's probably the only WR/TE on the roster who couldn't have gotten back to be in much better position to catch that ball............shouldn't have been 40 yards downfield to start with.

Also, as I have said..........you are a terrible poster.     Nonsense is your idea of sense.?

That was a really inaccurate throw that is very rarely caught. It was literally 7 yards short given that clay was around 5-6 yds in the end zone.

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So in other words it was a good pass and not a yard or two short?

He definitely should have come back for the ball. He has a lot of time to see it.

It wasn't a good pass, but definitely enough time to come back without diving for it.  Once clearer replay is available, you'll see it wasn't a dive but a stumble

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GG said:

It wasn't a good pass, but definitely enough time to come back without diving for it.  Once clearer replay is available, you'll see it wasn't a dive but a stumble

It was a REALLY inaccurate throw that is almost never caught (see Sterling Shepherd in ot on a better throw today??). That said, i loved what allen did on that play. Great scramble, great feet, and great decision. Just a bad throw that was more or less uncatchable. But there was a lot liked on the play.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I loved allen’s game today in many ways, but that was a straight up highly errant throw. It didn’t even make the goal line. No receiver should be expected to catch that with any regularity. It would have been a circus catch on a very inaccurate throw. 

He stumbled with no one around him coming back for it. He had all day to come to the ball and even said after the game that he blew it. He didnt really lunge for the ball he fell on his own and then dropped it. It wasn't that hard of a catch.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

That was a really inaccurate throw that is very rarely caught. It was literally 7 yards short given that clay was around 5-6 yds in the end zone.

Yeah it was a bad throw.

I'm wondering if his elbow doesn't hurt on certain throws or if the elbow brace doesn't have an effect on them.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

It was a REALLY inaccurate throw that is almost never caught (see Sterling Shepherd in ot on a better throw today??). That said, i loved what allen did on that play. Great scramble, great feet, and great decision. Just a bad throw that was more or less uncatchable. But there was a lot liked on the play.

It was a bad throw because it was short and wobbly.  But that also gave Clay plenty of time to come back to, which he would have if not for the stumble. 

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it was a bad throw.

I'm wondering if his elbow doesn't hurt on certain throws or if the elbow brace doesn't have an effect on them.

It wasn't a good throw but it got there. Clay tripped over his own feet. He had all day to see it and come to it and he fell unforced.