Charles Clay- the most useless player ever

NewEra

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He stumbled with no one around him coming back for it. He had all day to come to the ball and even said after the game that he blew it. He didnt really lunge for the ball he fell on his own and then dropped it. It wasn't that hard of a catch.

You are nuts. It’s not easy for any receiver to change direction and scramble back for a bad underthrow (and on a bad playing surface that saw tons of guys slipping around all day). Why can’t we all focus on the main reason it wasn’t caught — the fact that it was 6-7 yds from where it was supposed to be?? 

Sheesh.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It wasn't a good throw but it got there. Clay tripped over his own feet. He had all day to see it and come to it and he fell unforced.

Do we all remember that sports science where Allen was making crazy throws from that spot?

I do wonder why he has some epic throws and then has these ducks.    

The catch was tough, mostly because Clay took a long time to come back and help his QB, he misreads the ball from the start.   Yes the ball was a wobbler but come on and make a play. 

Clay is the poster child of a Free Agent reach.  His big play contributions per dollars spent is very poor.  As bad as it gets. 

The Bills have ~$90M in cap space next year  - BUYER BEWARE. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

You are nuts. It’s not easy for any receiver to change direction and scramble back for a bad underthrow (and on a bad playing surface that saw tons of guys slipping around all day). Why can’t we all focus on the main reason it wasn’t caught — the fact that it was 6-7 yds from where it was supposed to be?? 

Sheesh.

Under this logic the winning Fish TD should never ever have been caught

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Sheesh.

Clay even said he stumbled and should have caught it. Clay had all day to come back for it. AND he had two hands on it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Sheesh.

It's pretty easy to forgive JA for a bad pass when he was scrambling like a madman and throwing across the field. 

Worse passes than that are routinely caught around the NFL. Watch some other games and see the types of catches other teams make. This 100% should've been caught by Clay. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Do we all remember that sports science where Allen was making crazy throws from that spot?

Are you joking …this is not Sport Science practice.  This was a real NFL game, end of the 4th quarter,  throwing under extreme duress.   Not only that but after getting two late hits to the head just before that, on the road, with the game on the line. 

Lots of people make that play in practice

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He also had just run about 30 yards, eluded three different rushers, and only saw Clay at the last second, stopped and threw all the way across the field. Mosty QBs couldn't even get that ball there. Yes, it was not a good throw, yes it was wobbly, but it was a tremendous play and the ball got there. If Clay doesnt fall on his own, it's a much easier catch. But he still should have caught it.  

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

loved Lofton calling out KB.  

Trade Clay for a 7th rounder of free when the season is over.   

Nobody takes him with that contract. He’ll have to be cut and they can sign him for free and cheap. 

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It's pretty easy to forgive JA for a bad pass when he was scrambling like a madman and throwing across the field. 

Worse passes than that are routinely caught around the NFL. Watch some other games and see the types of catches other teams make. This 100% should've been caught by Clay. 

Thatz zero percent on the throw

WTF does a man want, delivery on a silver tea service?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CodeMonkey said:

It was a ***** wounded duck pass, but yeah a NFL player needs to make the catch.

A Pop Warner kid catches that, but you need a rep for playing with at least some heart

Watch the catch on the winning TD by the Fish, a million times harder

this was like fielding a punt, oh sorry, Bills haven’t learned that 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

(Nothing peeves me more than fans bringing out the pitchforks for receivers who don’t mke citcus catches on bad throws.)

Even after avoiding serious pressure where most QB’s would be sacked, setting his feet and throwing it.

Clay, an NFL TE should have caught it.

its really simple stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He also had just run about 30 yards, eluded three different rushers, and only saw Clay at the last second, stopped and threw all the way across the field. Mosty QBs couldn't even get that ball there. Yes, it was not a good throw, yes it was wobbly, but it was a tremendous play and the ball got there. If Clay doesnt fall on his own, it's a much easier catch. But he still should have caught it.  

How dare Josh have ran 30 yds in circles prior to throwing this pass across his body from the opposite side of the field and not put it right on the money!

:)

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Lol. The ball most decidedly did not get there. It freaking did not even reach the goal line. You are about to enter my pet peeve of always-blame-the-receiver fans!

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Lol. The ball most decidedly did not get there. It freaking did not even reach the goal line. You are about to enter my pet peeve of always-blame-the-receiver fans!

Hi I’m dave mcbride.

My eyes don’t work and I don’t understand football.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

(Nothing peeves me more than fans bringing out the pitchforks for receivers who don’t mke citcus catches on bad throws.)

Except that Clay has a long history of not catching well thrown balls

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Watch the play a bunch of times. He throws it about 60 yards in the air. He's on the 40, still running and throws it to the goalline across his body on the opposite hash mark. And again, Clay can see it all the way. He DOESNT dive for the ball, he stumbles with no one near him. He's running back for the ball well before it gets there and he tackles himself but STILL GETS TWO HANDS on it. He has to make that catch. He admitted he stumbled and admitted he should have caught it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You ever try launching a 35 yard pass across your body to the opposite side of the field after running for you like for 5 seconds in circles?

More often than not this is the way it comes out.

The incomplete pass was indeed partially due to this (you are right there)

Clay still had a good chance to catch it and probably should have.

There is no single point of blame.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you saying that Clay didn't trip over his feet or stumble on his come back?

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Watch the play a bunch of times. He throws it about 60 yards in the air. He's on the 40, still running and throws it to the goalline across his body on the opposite hash mark. And again, Clay can see it all the way. He DOESNT dive for the ball, he stumbles with no one near him. He's running back for the ball well before it gets there and he tackles himself but STILL GETS TWO HANDS on it. He has to make that catch. He admitted he stumbled and admitted he should have caught it. 

Kelly, he throws it 40yds. 

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It hit him in the hands.

Th Bills didn't need to score on the play. The goal line statement is irrelevant noise to the conversation. They needed to convert on 4th and 11, and a pass thown under duress on 4th and 11 hit a guy in his hands. Professionals make that catch, period.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You are wedded to your interpretation. I liked allen’s play for the most part on that play (as I explicitly stated earlier). But it was a crap throw. It is what it is.

Just now, stony said:

Kelly, he throws it 40yds. 

He threw it from the 40, between the hash and the sideline, ACROSS the field which is 35 yards. If he threw it straight, on the left side of the field, it would have been 40 yards. It goes to the other hash mark on the other side of the field. It's at least 55 yards in the air.

• Like (+1) 1

Clay could have made a great catch there but Allen could also have set his feet and thrown it to him instead of under throwing it by 10 yards. He has plenty of arm to make a good throw there. And the OTs could have blocked somebody too so that Allen wasn't scrambling for his life. It's never just one player.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

It hit him in the hands.

Th Bills didn't need to score on the play. The goal line statement is irrelevant noise to the conversation. They needed to convert on 4th and 11, and a pass thown under duress on 4th and 11 hit a guy in his hands. Professionals make that catch, period.

Ah, my favorite blame-the-receiver line: “it hit him in the hands.” It was a bad throw (after a great scramble and great decision) that would have been a bona fide circus catch if caught. And are fans here completely blind to the fact that players on both sides were slipping and sliding all day on that surface??

37 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

It was a ***** wounded duck pass, but yeah a NFL player needs to make the catch.

Charles Fn Clay has been doing exactly nothing, while making 9 mill a year for the last several seasons.  That’s what this post is about.  If you dispute this claim, watch more Bills game.  Not sure what to say.  

His attempt at the wounded duck pass from out rookie QB was embarrassing.  His effort was laughable.  

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He threw it from the 40, between the hash and the sideline, ACROSS the field which is 35 yards. If he threw it straight, on the left side of the field, it would have been 40 yards. It goes to the other hash mark on the other side of the field. It's at least 55 yards in the air.

Gotcha, I thought you mixed up the sides of the field!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Ah, my favorite blame-the-receiver line: “it hit him in the hands.” It was a bad throw (after a great scramble and great decision) that would have been a bona fide circus catch if caught. And are fans here completely blind to the fact that players on both sides were slipping and sliding all day on that surface??

Yep - and the Sabres were having trouble keeping their edges in Tampa Bay and Miami this past weekend - humidity is a thing - Florida being the worst state in the Union is also a thing...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Are you saying that Clay didn't trip over his feet or stumble on his come back?

See previois comments by me about the field surface today — players were falling down all game. Regardless. It was short by 6-7 yards and required a circus catch because it demanded a reverse in direction.

I remember you blaming watkins for taylor’s int v NE despite that he leaped as high as he could and his fingertips grazed the ball.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Go and watch the play again

not even a one in a million excuse for a pro to not make that catch

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Clay himself admitted he should have caught the ball. Keep fighting the good fight though.

And let me know what the channel was of the game you watched.

It clearly wasn't what everyone else, including the players, were watching.