One Less Bills Fan....

Chef Jim

6 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Sorry for your loss. 

When I was in fourth grade my mom took me to have my eyes examined because I was having trouble reading the blackboard in school. Not only was it confirmed that I was nearsighted, that’s also when we found out I was red-green colorblind. When we got home and told my dad, he was visibly relieved. He was quite artistic, and he couldn’t understand how I never learned to correctly identify colors. His comment still makes me smile, “all this time I just thought you were stupid.”

You realize being color blind doesn’t rule that out, right?         ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Sorry for your loss

After leaving Buffalo, my parents returned to Santa Rosa, CA (my father wasn't stationed too far away while in the military, and fell in love w/ the area). The Raiders used to train here and wreaked havoc during those wild days of the 70's - 80's. Anyway, my father is a huge Braves fan. Whenever the Braves were in town, we used to go to see a Giants / Braves game. One time, I'll say 1980...my dad and I parked the car in the lot and started walking up toward Candlestick. From behind, we hear..."Hey Vic" several times. My father turns around. It's Ted Hendricks chasing down my father. Really? Dad you know him? Yes, he comes into the restaurant all the time when the Raiders are training. My father ran the kitchen at a popular restaurant in Occidental, CA. So there we are, walking into the stadium chatting it up w/ Ted Hendricks. My dad is a simple man, isn't much for words. Doesn't really do much...but here he is...someone that knows someone as great as Ted Hendricks. I was in awe. I later found a card, signed by John Madden and a few other Raiders players congratulating him on the birth of my brother. Seriously dad...are you leading a double life nobody knows about? First realization as a kid my dad was a pretty cool dude. He's always been a Bills fan, so maybe that's why he never mentioned it. LOL

• Like (+1) 1

I got into it with my sister (3 years older) one time, she got a bit violent on me (I have a finger that’s STILL not what it should have been!) and I grabbed her foot that was swinging at me. Then I went town the stairs....still holding the foot. My father caught me at the bottom of the stairs, and I explained what the B word had done to me. He told me it didn’t prove a %$#@&^* thing to swear. Ahh, families, we all gottem’!   But you love them. 

Ok...as per your request. First of all I am the oldest. Even though I'm a girl Mom always said I was his son.  The yearly vacation was always the trip to Galveston from Fort Worth.  We went fishing early on and I caught my first fish. Either on the drive down or back home we attended a Houston Colts baseball game. I saw players like Joe Morgan, Jimmy Wynn and Rusty Staub play. Then later the Houston Colts became the Houston Astros and we saw a few games there too. Daddy worked 10-12 hours a day so when Saturday and Sunday rolled around he took care of the yard,the cars and his down time was sports. That's when we bonded and how to this day I'm such a sports fan/nut.

Daddy and Mom belonged to a bridge pot luck group. When my sister and I got older we could go too. So...one night Daddy was talking with  the guys about College Football. The conversation got around to who won the Heisman Trophy as few days ago. Daddy said I believe it's John Huarte. A few wasn't so convinced so he goes into the TV room and has me come into where they were playing bridge and asks me do you remember who won the Heisman this year?  I said "yes it was John Huarte of Notre Dame". 

We had other memories too. We also went to see the Fort Worth Cats ( baseball minor league. The Fort Worth Red Wings ( Detroit minor) along with The Dallas Blackhawks ( Chicago ) 

And finally we saw our Cowboys play in the early 60's. Man they were BAD but it made it possible for 2 to attend for a total cost of $10.00. Program,2 drinks and seats at the 50 yard line. I still have a sore neck from watching Jim Brown run up and down the field those games. 

Last April it marked 20 years since I lost him.  I miss him dearly especially when watching sports.

This may be more a sign of the times, but it was great for us. Back before your next thought was available on the internet, I used to get Bills Digest. I’d read it then drop by the condo to take it to my dad. Those were very simple, but very special times. The draft would also connect us with guides and projections, etc. He’d have all kinds of guides all marked up. It warms my heart just to think of it. 

Yes, the Bills connection is a real thing. We are all family, immediate or extended. My sons have the same connection, and it makes the world a better place. That’s part of why I try not to complain too much. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I lost my dad this week. 

And no I don't need any advice.  I've already looked behind the couch. 

In lieu of prayers and sympathy please add your favorite anecdote about your dad.  I'll start

As most of you know my dad was an avid skier.  Skied pretty much every day during the season right up until last winter at the age of 89.  He told me a story a few years ago.  He was riding the lift at Holiday Valley where he'd skied for over 50 years (hell I started there nearly 50 years ago myself).  It was him and a couple on the lift.  They were making small talk and they asked if he was local. He said yes he lived right there in Ellicottville however he told them he spent 35 years in Attica.  He said they both scooted over in the chair away from him.   And with a mafia mug like this you can understand their concern.  

Dad.jpg

I lost my dad last year, thanks for the heads up, don’t think we checked behind the couch.

take care.

I did my dad’s eulogy. We had a complicated relationship. Was massive for me in the ‘process’ (Bills reference for you!). Good photo BTW.

Sorry for your loss, Jim.  I love the Attica story...too funny.

November, 1969... a young man from our neighborhood in NT is playing for the Bengals.  Dad takes me to the Bills-Bengals game at the Rockpile.  It was a massive snow game.  There is a foot of snow in our laps at the end of the 1st half.  I am shivering.  Dad is his usual tough exterior.   

At halftime, we get a hot chocolate. While drinking the hot chocolate, Dad says to me "Do you want to go home?'  We were going to see our player/neighbor that night at a neighborhood party. 

I said, "No, I want to see Eddie tackle OJ."  You can't see the field from our seats the opening kickoff of the second half its snowing so hard. 

Dad says, excitedly, "Look, Eddie tackled OJ on the kickoff." I said, "Great let's go".  Years later I ask Dad, "How did you see Eddie tackle OJ on that play?" Dad says, "It was my Dad goggles"....

Toughest and gentlest man I ever knew....

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I lost my dad this week. 

In lieu of prayers and sympathy please add your favorite anecdote about your dad.  I'll start

Sorry Jim.

My dad, who had a similar mug, was a mostly gentle soul.  As a very young kid though, like many others, I was scared shitless of him.  He had a presence and a voice that made me tremble.  You'll understand this part, he owned a restaurant with his sister so he was rarely home.  Mom used to call him when one of us three boys did something stupid, which was often.  He'd have to pull himself away from whoever he was serving (he ran the bar) and listen to my mom who would then give us the phone.  The offending child would get read the riot act.  Sometimes the conversation would end with my mother uttering "wait until your father gets home!"  One of those times dad came home for his afternoon nap before heading back for dinner.  I was the one in trouble and I apparently pissed my pants when he walked into the house.  I was too young to remember this, but, now some 50+ years later it is a story that gets told to my kids every time they see one of their uncles.

Then there's the time I borrowed a bulldozer...

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I got into it with my sister (3 years older) one time, she got a bit violent on me (I have a finger that’s STILL not what it should have been!) and I grabbed her foot that was swinging at me. Then I went town the stairs....still holding the foot. My father caught me at the bottom of the stairs, and I explained what the B word had done to me. He told me it didn’t prove a %$#@&^* thing to swear. Ahh, families, we all gottem’!   But you love them. 

So does she walk with a limp?  That would be fair!

Sorry Jim.

My Dad has given me my love of the outdoors, even being 70+ he's been willing to go on any hike I suggest. I just make sure it's one he can do. Here he is about 6 years ago on the summit of Vanderwhacker Mountain in the Adirondacks. 

IMG_6170.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

Sorry for your loss, Jim.  I love the Attica story...too funny.

November, 1969... a young man from our neighborhood in NT is playing for the Bengals.  Dad takes me to the Bills-Bengals game at the Rockpile.  It was a massive snow game.  There is a foot of snow in our laps at the end of the 1st half.  I am shivering.  Dad is his usual tough exterior.   

At halftime, we get a hot chocolate. While drinking the hot chocolate, Dad says to me "Do you want to go home?'  We were going to see our player/neighbor that night at a neighborhood party. 

I said, "No, I want to see Eddie tackle OJ."  You can't see the field from our seats the opening kickoff of the second half its snowing so hard. 

Dad says, excitedly, "Look, Eddie tackled OJ on the kickoff." I said, "Great let's go".  Years later I ask Dad, "How did you see Eddie tackle OJ on that play?" Dad says, "It was my Dad goggles"....

Toughest and gentlest man I ever knew....

Great story! That game is  probably in my top 5 all-time favorites, also sitting there with my dad (who must have left his goggles at home). 

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry to hear about your dad @Chef Jim

My dad is an avid sports fan. As much as he loves the Bills, baseball is his sport. Back when I was about 11/12, so my brother was 7/8 we were supposed to go to Cooperstown. My dad worked his ass off in the City of Buffalo sanitation department, and didn't make much. Enough to survive and be comfortable, but not too many luxuries. He saved for about a year for this vacation. About a month before we were supposed to go, his car broke down, and he had to buy a new one. The only way to do this, was to use the money he saved. He was devastated.

However,  my dad not being one to disappoint, realized that our beloved Buffalo Bisons were playing two weeknight games in Rochester. So, my dad made reservations at a Holiday Inn or some sort of 2-3 star hotel with a pool. Swam, went to the zoo, went to two baseball games. Bisons lost both games in 11 and 13 innings. Ate at some hole in the wall diners. Had a great time despite having a very limited budget. We still made it to Cooperstown about 4 years later. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:34 AM, Chef Jim said:

I lost my dad this week. 

As most of you know my dad was an avid skier.  Skied pretty much every day during the season right up until last winter at the age of 89.  He told me a story a few years ago.  He was riding the lift at Holiday Valley where he'd skied for over 50 years (hell I started there nearly 50 years ago myself).  It was him and a couple on the lift.  They were making small talk and they asked if he was local. He said yes he lived right there in Ellicottville however he told them he spent 35 years in Attica.  He said they both scooted over in the chair away from him.   And with a mafia mug like this you can understand their concern.  

Dad.jpg

Sorry for your loss. Your father looks lie a former special forces member. In the picture he looks  both tough and dignified. 

My father was from Italy and didn't speak English too well. I remember one time when speaking to me and my brothers he said the both of you three come here now. Another time he ordered me to go outside and chop the ice before it freezes. When he passed and was presented at the funeral home it seemed that everyone who came up to pay their respects said that he was a kind and generous person. And that he was. 

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have many great memories of my dad. One of my favorites was him teaching me how to drive on the farm when I was 11.... with a manual!!! I have never heard him laugh and shriek that much EVER in one event. BUT I learned to drive that land rover lol!

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Sorry Jim.

My Dad has given me my love of the outdoors, even being 70+ he's been willing to go on any hike I suggest. I just make sure it's one he can do. Here he is about 6 years ago on the summit of Vanderwhacker Mountain in the Adirondacks. 

IMG_6170.JPG

That’s really a beautiful pic. You never beat a moment like that. 

Sorry to hear that, I lost my father in the late 1980's.

He grew up in South Buffalo (Keppel Street). He joined the Navy at 18 years of age and fought in the Pacific.

He married his sweetheart in 1949 and lost her to cancer in 1960.

He raised two boys during the "Leave it to Beaver" years (imagine how rare that was) and neither of us was ever arrested. :w00t:

He was a founding member of the Buffalo Bills Boosters Club, Inc. 

He took us to the Rockpile often.

A combination of growing in South Buffalo pollution, war, smoking, beer, steel plant air (blast furnace = coal mine) ended his life in his early 60's. 

Always took care of us, and he was a good man.

I hope my family can summarize my life with that last line - a long time from now!

• Like (+1) 5

I encourage all to ask their father about memories from early in their life.  My dad will be 90 next year and I love engaging him in conversation about growing up on the East Side of Buffalo, meeting my mom, serving in the Navy during the Korean War, jobs he worked at over the years,  etc...

I even love hearing the same stories over and over and over again. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 5:40 AM, LabattBlue said:

I encourage all to ask their father about memories from early in their life.  My dad will be 90 next year and I love engaging him in conversation about growing up on the East Side of Buffalo, meeting my mom, serving in the Navy during the Korean War, jobs he worked at over the years,  etc...

I even love hearing the same stories over and over and over again. 

Yep.  And document it.  

On 11/1/2018 at 10:34 AM, Chef Jim said:

I lost my dad this week. 

Dad.jpg

Sorry for your loss. My Dad passed away early morning October 30, less than 3 months shy of his 101st birthday. Was still tailgaiting following the Monday night Patriots game when I got a text from his aide at half past midnight that he had stopped breathing. Favorite story was told to me by someone in my euchre club, who told me that at the opening meeting of Lions Club one year, my father was greeting everyone at the door as he was president. As the story goes, the guy in front had told my father that his daughter was getting married. My father's response..."Married? I didn't even know she was pregnant!"

Guess this makes two less Bills fans.

Sorry for your loss.

My dad is 84 (and spent his childhood in Attica :) ) .  I have plenty of "cheap" stories :), but one thing relevant to this board is how the Bills have always been a great source of connection for us over the years.  Every year since we were small kids, he would take my brother and I to one Bills game a year - always cheapest seats in the EZ.  For years (decades) now, my brother and I have flown in every year to take him to a Bills game nearest his birthday in October.  We began bringing our sons with us starting when they were very young and it's something my Dad looks forward to all year. 

With all that, for some reason this is the Bills story related to my Dad that jumped into my mind.  When I was young, in the 70s, we were walking out after a game (another loss I'm sure) and we pass a guy in the EZ with his legs sprawled over the top of the benches in front of him, arms spread wide on the back of the bench, seemingly passed out cold, with his "member" sticking out of his pants - literally pissing all over himself.  Being a very innocent young man, I looked at the scene spread out in front of me, tried to process it, and mouth agape, alarmingly looked to my Dad.  It's seared into my brain just the look of calm and disappointment on his face when he said simply "Move along son, move along".  He wasn't a person to show a lot of emotion when I grew up (that certainly changed once he had grandchildren), and that incident was some kind of perfect microcosm mash-up of my young life with the Bills and my Dad.  We've never spoken of the incident since.

40 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Sorry for your loss. My Dad passed away early morning October 30, less than 3 months shy of his 101st birthday. Was still tailgaiting following the Monday night Patriots game when I got a text from his aide at half past midnight that he had stopped breathing. Favorite story was told to me by someone in my euchre club, who told me that at the opening meeting of Lions Club one year, my father was greeting everyone at the door as he was president. As the story goes, the guy in front had told my father that his daughter was getting married. My father's response..."Married? I didn't even know she was pregnant!"

Guess this makes two less Bills fans.

Sorry for your loss. He broke the century mark, so that’s a full life, and you’ve got good genes! 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

If any of you ski Holiday Valley and ski Yodeler say hey to Dick. Is ashes were spread there last week. He lived in Ellicottville and was a ski instructor there for many years and skied there up until last winter at the age of 88. 

Thats awesome. I’ll be there two weeks from today and will be sure to say hello when I cruise down Yodeler. Maybe he can give me some guidance, I’ll take all the help I can get! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Thats awesome. I’ll be there two weeks from today and will be sure to say hello when I cruise down Yodeler. Maybe he can give me some guidance, I’ll take all the help I can get! 

Just don’t ask for advice. Like father like son. 

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Just don’t ask for advice. Like father like son. 

Wait, you can’t ASK for advice, or you can’t GIVE advice? Don’t you give advice for a living? Do you fire your clients if they ASK for it? I’m so confused...... (but that’s not really unusual).

On 11/2/2018 at 9:29 PM, aceman_16 said:

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have many great memories of my dad. One of my favorites was him teaching me how to drive on the farm when I was 11.... with a manual!!! I have never heard him laugh and shriek that much EVER in one event. BUT I learned to drive that land rover lol!

He was brave to be reading a manual whilst you learned to drive.

12 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

He was brave to be reading a manual whilst you learned to drive.

He was probably just learning himself, so it was a joint effort. “It says here, the peddle on the left....”.  It’s tricky if you’ve never done it before! I almost flunked the parallel parking of the tractor on my test. 

Edited by Augie

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Wait, you can’t ASK for advice, or you can’t GIVE advice? Don’t you give advice for a living? Do you fire your clients if they ASK for it? I’m so confused...... (but that’s not really unusual).

My stance has always been don’t ask for advice from knuckleheads on a message board you don’t know. I’m just adding dead people to that list. ☺️