Sean McDermott cooked up the butt meat and Derek Anderson is serving it (deadspin)

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I had my qualms about McDermott last year as well, most notably with how incredibly conservative he is and the lack of imagination from our offense. I even said that although I enjoyed the moment...I thought last year's team was mediocre at best and that making the playoffs was a little flukey.

And guess what...the Bills agreed! That's why they stayed on the path of rebuilding, which I'm fine with and still agree with. I don't see the point of mediocrity. But it is possible to fail at rebuilding. I said from the beginning that I didn't even care about the record this year, and I still don't. I just wanted to see organizational progress. To see us going in the right direction. For example, I don't know if you follow basketball or not, but even though the Knicks are 1-3 I love what they're doing so far. They're competitive, they fight back, and you can tell the coaching even from just 1 offseason had a real plan with this group and it's paying off.

These games, even in a rebuild year, are precious for developmental reasons. We're throwing them away because of what Beane and McDermott have done, especially with the QB position. These guys thought, even after what Peterman did last year...that this guy was an answer as a starter! So much so that they let a possible competent backup go with no other safety net. And while knowing that they really didn't want to start Allen yet. And even after that, they had full faith in him as a primary backup, so they didn't bring anyone else in for weeks. And now they're so petrified of him that they brought in Derek Anderson off the street and started him, clearly before he had enough preparation time. And he's still here! There's still nobody else! 

The Bills philosophy on last year's team should be the exact same philosophy they apply to evaluating this coaching staff. They are not championship caliber, not even close. There's no point in being mediocre at best. 

The rebuild certainly had to happen, but the way this year is going, especially when it comes to the Quarterback situation, is going to put off a lot of potential free agents. The Bills are not the only team with a lot of cap room, but they certainly present the worst possible destination, especially if those free agents are looking to win or make a name for themselves (particularly on the offense). McDermott's tenure as head coach will end after next season because he and Beane have spent too much time building a culture based on attitude and not one base on winning.

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

“....serviceable quarterback in Tyrod Taylor....”

Words, they mean stuff.  The more you know.... 

apparently he isn't even serviceable, he was benched after what 2 weeks

to a rookie, and i doubt he ever starts again unless an injury.

And, BS he took the bills to the playoffs.

+ he had some of decent talent and a far better oline than the current group has.

The msm narrative about tt is hilarious.

10 minutes ago, Albwan said:

apparently he isn't even serviceable, he was benched after what 2 weeks

to a rookie, and i doubt he ever starts again unless an injury.

And, BS he took the bills to the playoffs.

+ he had some of decent talent and a far better oline than the current group has.

The msm narrative about tt is hilarious.

It is hilarious you consider deadspin MSM. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The Pegula's wanting the antithesis of Rex has backfired.

Put the pool table and video games back in the locker room Coach McClueless.  

Has it? I'm pretty sure they knew this season was going to go similar to the way it has. Pretty sure the GM and Coach knew too. Pretty sure they kept telling any reporter who interviewed them that we were ahaleas od schedule and sometimes you have to take backwards steps first. 

In fact I'm pretty sure anyone without their head buried in the sand could have probably told you we were going to suck this year.  

Now, you may not agree with the way they are doing things but they most definitely have a plan and are carrying it out to a T and you can bet they will be allowed to complete it.

Whether it works or not is anyones guess but to judge them now in a season where everyone except you and 5% of the other people on the board thought they would be good is utter nonsense.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

No. He was a QB that did not throw multiple picks per game and could at least run the offense and not let games get out of hand. He limited turnovers and could use his legs to mask issues with the OL and lack of other weapons. He kept you in games if the Defense played well. If the Defense struggled it was going to be a long day. Not a franchise QB but a decent placeholder until you find one. 

I take it you didn’t watch the New Orleans game or any of the others where he barely made 100 yards. Nice revisionist history SMH....

36 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

This line cut the deepest:

"Jon Gruden has caught plenty of richly deserved ***** for his complete dismantling of the Raiders this season, but at least he got multiple first-round draft picks out of his bumbling. All McDermott has is two crappy young quarterbacks and an even crappier old one. He’s doing great work"

I bet you would be happy being 7-9 the next 10 years... Genius... SMH

30 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Well then enjoy the so called rebuild.  Most teams lose in the playoffs btw. Every year. We lost by 7. It was painful but a big step forward. Now I have to listen to how this crap is a step forward. 

Step forward to what a lifetime of 7-9 , 9-7, losing in the first round? Cause that’s where you want to be...

10 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

I take it you didn’t watch the New Orleans game or any of the others where he barely made 100 yards. Nice revisionist history SMH....

I bet you would be happy being 7-9 the next 10 years... Genius... SMH

Step forward to what a lifetime of 7-9 , 9-7, losing in the first round? Cause that’s where you want to be...

By your logic, you are going to enjoy being the Browns,. 

deadspin is having a day with us:

You’re NFL commish for one action and that action is to force one NFL team to sign and start Colin Kaepernick. Where do you put him?

It’s clearly between the Giants and Jags, right? I’m not putting Kap in Buffalo, because A) I like him and B) I don’t want ANYTHING spoiling the raucous comedy going on right now with the Bills. It’s killing me that Nathan Peterman is still on that roster. They started Derek Anderson Sunday and watched him drown, and when they needed a life preserver they realized the only one they had available was Nathan ***** Peterman! Amazing. That situation is perfect as is, and I don’t want anyone messing with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Look at the Sabres. Why would people expect much different? They bought a team that was a playoff regular, in a league that is easy to make the playoffs, and the team has gone on to miss them for nearly a decade. That is absurd. 

Missing the playoffs in the NHL for 7 years is the equivalent of missing the playoffs in the NFL for around 20 years. We live in the worst sports town in America, there isnt a close second.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2

Look at the Sabres. Why would people expect much different? They bought a team that was a playoff regular, in a league that is easy to make the playoffs, and the team has gone on to miss them for nearly a decade. That is absurd. 

It seems that the Pegula's don't realize that while you are tanking, other teams in the league are trying to improve, further increasing the gap to reach a playoff position.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

deadspin is having a day with us:

You’re NFL commish for one action and that action is to force one NFL team to sign and start Colin Kaepernick. Where do you put him?

It’s clearly between the Giants and Jags, right? I’m not putting Kap in Buffalo, because A) I like him and B) I don’t want ANYTHING spoiling the raucous comedy going on right now with the Bills. It’s killing me that Nathan Peterman is still on that roster. They started Derek Anderson Sunday and watched him drown, and when they needed a life preserver they realized the only one they had available was Nathan ***** Peterman! Amazing. That situation is perfect as is, and I don’t want anyone messing with it.

Funny, because its true. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Contradicting BS is now being defensive ha?  Did you enjoy the playoffs. Or are you more a fan of this so called rebuild?  Right. 10 draft picks!!  That should do it! 

The most exciting play for our team last year was a Cincinnati play. No I didnt really enjoy the playoffs, they scored 3 points.

This whole playoffs ***** has to stop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Has it? I'm pretty sure they knew this season was going to go similar to the way it has. Pretty sure the GM and Coach knew too. Pretty sure they kept telling any reporter who interviewed them that we were ahaleas od schedule and sometimes you have to take backwards steps first. 

In fact I'm pretty sure anyone without their head buried in the sand could have probably told you we were going to suck this year.  

Now, you may not agree with the way they are doing things but they most definitely have a plan and are carrying it out to a T and you can bet they will be allowed to complete it.

Whether it works or not is anyones guess but to judge them now in a season where everyone except you and 5% of the other people on the board thought they would be good is utter nonsense.

thank you.

we all talked on this board about how we would take a step back this year.  Most people thought 7-9ish.  More than a few thought 6-10 or worse.  

We all know this year would be bad, maybe its worse than many of us thought but no one expected us to be competitive with the Patriots.

We don't have to like it but lets stop acting surprised and shocked.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

It seems that the Pegula's don't realize that while you are tanking, other teams in the league are trying to improve, further increasing the gap to reach a playoff position.

They miss the days of every kid gets a turn. Come on owners its Terry's turn, he has been waiting patiently like a good boy. 

14 hours ago, ngbills said:

No. [Tyrod] was a QB that did not throw multiple picks per game and could at least run the offense and not let games get out of hand. He limited turnovers and could use his legs to mask issues with the OL and lack of other weapons. He kept you in games if the Defense played well. If the Defense struggled it was going to be a long day. Not a franchise QB but a decent placeholder until you find one. 

Yup, a solid bridge guy. As long as you don't mind using a different scheme so Tyrod can be maximized rather than put in the scheme you hope to go with in the future so the new guy can learn it and learn how teams react on defense.

And as long as you don't mind paying Tyrod $16 million when you're in a serious cap jam and have promised the owners to sort it out by the end of this season.

Edited by Thurman#1

41 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, a solid bridge guy. As long as you don't mind using a different scheme so Tyrod can be maximized rather than put in the scheme you hope to go with in the future so the new guy can learn it and learn how teams react on defense.

And as long as you don't mind paying Tyrod $16 million when you're in a serious cap jam and have promised the owners to sort it out by the end of this season.

*self inflicted cap jam

15 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

This pretty well sums it up.  This team is probably as far from contending for a super bowl as any Bills team in the past 18 years, and McDermott may be as bad as any drought-era coach the team has had.  Perhaps the biggest reason to doubt that Josh Allen is the franchise qb of the future is that McBeane selected him.

11 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Missing the playoffs in the NHL for 7 years is the equivalent of missing the playoffs in the NFL for around 20 years. We live in the worst sports town in America, there isnt a close second.

It’s funny, back in the early Rex Ryan days, I questioned whether the Pegulas had any idea what they were doing.  When I suggested that the Sabres’ putrid record hardly supported the view that they were competent, I was assured by folks around here that a few seasons of tanking and alleged talent-acquisition had perfectly positioned them to be a breakout team in the NHL.  ?

8 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

thank you.

we all talked on this board about how we would take a step back this year.  Most people thought 7-9ish.  More than a few thought 6-10 or worse.  

We all know this year would be bad, maybe its worse than many of us thought but no one expected us to be competitive with the Patriots.

I think “we all” may be overstating it. 

Plenty thought this was a good team. I recall arguments that our pass catchers were good, our qb play would be improved, defense would be able to get us into the playoffs etc... the wr threads were particularly surprising to see but plenty of posters thought KB was a strong #1 and that we had a glut of 2-3 options behind him.

9 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

thank you.

why take such a big step back from a 9-7 playoff team to this? Other teams try to improve year to year...why not the Bills?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mannc said:

This pretty well sums it up.  This team is probably as far from contending for a super bowl as any Bills team in the past 18 years, and McDermott may be as bad as any drought-era coach the team has had.  Perhaps the biggest reason to doubt that Josh Allen is the franchise qb of the future is that McBeane selected him.

It’s funny, back in the early Rex Ryan days, I questioned whether the Pegulas had any idea what they were doing.  When I suggested that the Sabres’ putrid record hardly supported the view that they were competent, I was assured by folks around here that a few seasons of tanking and alleged talent-acquisition had perfectly positioned them to be a breakout team in the NHL.  ?

Good take for sure- I will say this, they have alot of talent right now, but can Housley push all the right buttons? Also, Brandon is out of the picture- his damage should be felt for about anothet year, after that their can be no more excuses except ownership is clueless.

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

to judge them now in a season where everyone except you and 5% of the other people on the board thought they would be good is utter nonsense.

Doubt that 95% thought the Bills be this putrid and 7 games into the season it be looking more and more like a total train wreck of a season....except maybe you.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Doubt that 95% thought the Bills be this putrid and 7 games into the season it be looking more and more like a total train wreck of a season....except maybe you.

That's because you didn't pay attention to what was happening on offense. Shame on you if you thought losing 2 pro bowl offensive linemen, and having the worst WR corp in the NFL by a mile to pair with a rookie QB or an average at best QB would lead to offensive firepower.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I predicted 5-11, but I thought the team would show up/compete on a regular basis, and ultimately lose due to inferior talent.  Basically Dick Jauron 2.0, but with a worse offense.  I find it disheartening to see the team not anywhere near competitive in half their games.  And I expected the offense to be bad, but not historically bad.  I can handle being the worst offense in 2018.  I can't handle being the worst offense of all time.

14 hours ago, nucci said:

why take such a big step back from a 9-7 playoff team to this? Other teams try to improve year to year...why not the Bills?

we were in desperate need of a rebuild.  It has been delayed year after year because of the playoff losing streak.  With that put away, McBeane were free to tear it all down - and have done so.

Look at it this way:   we can only go up from here :)

18 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think “we all” may be overstating it. 

Plenty thought this was a good team. I recall arguments that our pass catchers were good, our qb play would be improved, defense would be able to get us into the playoffs etc... the wr threads were particularly surprising to see but plenty of posters thought KB was a strong #1 and that we had a glut of 2-3 options behind him.

Don't forget the guy who started a thread suggesting Nate Peterman could be another Drew Brees.

You can't make this ***** up.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:30 PM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Love it. There are so many excuses being made for McDermott, it's scary. We are in a lot of trouble if this guy sticks around as the head coach. 

What's scary is there are people who actually think like you do. I'm not saying McDermott will work out in the long run, but he had a great year 1 and you need to give these guys a few years to build the team and get everyone firing on all cylinders.

7 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

we were in desperate need of a rebuild.  It has been delayed year after year because of the playoff losing streak.  With that put away, McBeane were free to tear it all down - and have done so.

Look at it this way:   we can only go up from here :)

There was no desperation...had a decent team last season...good defense....not so great QB...just build on the offense in this years draft...I don't understand why the offense was torn down to this. It doesn't make sense...by the time the offense is fixed the defense will need help...

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, The_Dude said:

McDermott is in over his head. He doesn’t know how to fix this. 

I want to fire McDermott and hire the most innovative offensive mind we can get. 

One of the major problems we've had as an organization is firing or otherwise losing our HC and/or GM every 2-3 years.  Since the mid-90s.

Each new regime comes in and cleans out the old for draft picks.  No organization can thrive with that kind of executive turnover.

This is the most national coverage I've seen for the Bills in like 15 years.. I actually hear us come up briefly in all the crappy talk shows.. so that's neat

And uh.. Tyrod is a whole tier better from any quarterback currently on the roster (operative word CURRENTLY. Go Josh next year!). And I'll preemptively say yes.. 60 yards, Saints, whatnot. I know, we seem to think that was his career average. Ya'll acting like he's the worst we've ever had. If we didn't find him we would have had NOTHING in that QB competition he won. He was a tier above that lot and a tier above this lot. Wasn't good to great (read: servicable) but the "CAN'T BE WORSE THAN THE SAINTS GAME" narrative is inane. Taking his whole body of work.. Of  course it can get worse! That's all the writer was saying.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

One of the major problems we've had as an organization is firing or otherwise losing our HC and/or GM every 2-3 years.  Since the mid-90s.

Each new regime comes in and cleans out the old for draft picks.  No organization can thrive with that kind of executive turnover.

I agree. 

But i also disagree in continuity for the sake of continuity. 

Had we kept Jauron would he have ever established a great team? Now I have more faith in McDermott than I do Jauron, but not by a mile. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2018 at 2:42 PM, I am the egg man said:

The Pegula's wanting the antithesis of Rex has backfired.

Put the pool table and video games back in the locker room Coach McClueless.  

...so you wouldn't commend McClappy for making elimination of such frivolities a TOP priority in this rebuild?....blasphemy.........