What Does McBeane See In Peterman?

This isn't a thread to crap on McBeane and/or Peterman. Genuine question. The fact that they give him so many chances means that they may see some sort of potential, real or imaginary, that we don't see. Just trying to figure out what it is.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

He seems like a really nice guy.  At this point, if SM cares about Peterman, he needs to make sure he never sees the field again.  He will have no future in the nfl.

He really does. I really like Peterman. He may be good coach material some day, I'm not sure. Unfortunately, he's just doesn't have what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. 

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

He really does. I really like Peterman. He may be good coach material some day, I'm not sure. Unfortunately, he's just doesn't have what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. 

I kinda shows how “good” Fitz is.  He has a very limited arm but can at least make plays.  I’ve never seen anything like NP.  I do feel kinda bad for him but it’s painful.

Peterman has all the things this Coach fawns over:

He shows up to meetings on time

He studies really hard

He watches tape well

He does whatever he is told

He is a faith based player

He helps out with Lockeroom Culture

He claps well

He parrots McDermott’s mantras 

He was McDermott’s pick

I think McDermott believes he got a steal when Peterman fell to the 5th Round. He is the classic snowy Buffalo Rudy Rudiger underdog story. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't see where he's been given "so many chances". He made the team as a rookie backup & when the starter was playing horribly, the coach tried him in an attempt to shake up the offense & he failed.  Then in the offseason they drafted the QB of the future and decided not to waste a fortune like Arizona did with Bradford and settled for McCarron. McCarron was bad in mini camps and preseason & they decided to cut bait.  They didn't feel Allen was ready after the Cincy preseason game so the last man standing was Peterman.  He started & lasted a little over a half.  Then they eventually sign Anderson & have the misfortune to lose Allen one week before Anderson is ready to play.  They have tried with McCarron & now Anderson to have an adequate 2nd stringer or placeholder starter to replace Peterman & got stuck with Peterman twice this season due to the 1st guy failing to be what they thought he was and the 2nd guy being a week away.  Hardly "so many chances" for Peterman.     

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I kinda shows how “good” Fitz is.  He has a very limited arm but can at least make plays.  I’ve never seen anything like NP.  I do feel kinda bad for him but it’s painful.

Fitz has a substantially stronger arm than Nate. Fitz has an adequate NFL arm, Nate inadequate. 

• Like (+1) 1

Fans are uncompromising in their criticism of QBs and similarly unrestrained in their appreciation. If NP had made the correct post snap read on Joseph's pick six and made the appropriate decision to look elsewhere there were options available for a productive  play, one or two that he is capable of making. Bills could credibly have gotten in field goal range and won the game. And then today some would be rehabilitating NP and cooking up a QB controversy. 

Hes just another raw QB who has not yet learned (and perhaps is incapable of learning) how to read a defence post snap (amongst other things) and therefore susceptible of being snookered by a quality NFL D the likes of which he never saw in college.

If he can learn to do the things he needs to do there is probably a place for him in the NFL. I think he will hang around (in Blo or elsewhere) until he shows he can get it or proves that he really can't do it. Josh Allen needs to learn the exact same lessons,  although if he gets there his ceiling is obviously much higher.

31 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

This isn't a thread to crap on McBeane and/or Peterman. Genuine question. The fact that they give him so many chances means that they may see some sort of potential, real or imaginary, that we don't see. Just trying to figure out what it is.

...ask McDermott...McBeane reports to HIM.............

I think its stubbornness. McD has an ego and wants to be right. When he benched Tyrord last year he took a lot of slack. He is bent on proving people right and refuses to close the door on that. Its time to cut the cord and let him go. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Fans are uncompromising in their criticism of QBs and similarly unrestrained in their appreciation. If NP had made the correct post snap read on Joseph's pick six and made the appropriate decision to look elsewhere there were options available for a productive  play, one or two that he is capable of making. Bills could credibly have gotten in field goal range and won the game. And then today some would be rehabilitating NP and cooking up a QB controversy. 

Hes just another raw QB who has not yet learned (and perhaps is incapable of learning) how to read a defence post snap (amongst other things) and therefore susceptible of being snookered by a quality NFL D the likes of which he never saw in college.

If he can learn to do the things he needs to do there is probably a place for him in the NFL. I think he will hang around (in Blo or elsewhere) until he shows he can get it or proves that he really can't do it. Josh Allen needs to learn the exact same lessons,  although if he gets there his ceiling is obviously much higher.

Please stop.  Peterman is the worst QB in the history of the NFL and that is not hyperbole.  How many times does he need to through that out route for a pick 6/ have it dropped by a defender for what should be a pick 6 before he learns that one?  The guy has no business being in the league.  He has the Christian faith and he is apparently good in the film room and that is it.  He has a garbage arm and folds under the pressure of a real game.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Normally, I'd be with you. But given the guy's track record--he literally throws a pick every 11 throws--11! (one in 11, think about that ridiculous stat for a second)--he's not cut out for this game.

To answer the OPs question, I have no idea. But I would say a majority of this fan board at the end of preseason--you know who you are--was in favor of starting him over Allen and McCarron, the majority of which is now decrying McD's decision making. (For the record, I don't blame anyone for thinking Clipboardman was the better choice, it's just astonishing that we didn't bring in or keep a veteran presence until now). 

My guess is he looks great in a practice setting. Works hard, perfect teammate. Simply panics when the live bullets fly. He is basically a rookie out there and has been overwhelmed in his spot performances. Hard to rebuild his confidence at this point.  

Just now, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Please stop.  Peterman is the worst QB in the history of the NFL and that is not hyperbole.  How many times does he need to through that out route for a pick 6/ have it dropped by a defender for what should be a pick 6 before he learns that one?  The guy has no business being in the league.  He has the Christian faith and he is good in the film room and that is it.  He has a garbage are and folds under the pressure of a real game.

Well I do understand that to be the consensus of opinion. I'm not there yet. And maybe all that proves is my lack of football acumen. We will see how matters develop.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
Just now, starrymessenger said:

Well I do understand that to be the consensus of opinion. I'm not there yet. And maybe all that proves is my lack of football acumen. We will see how matters develop.

He throws a pick every 8.2 attempts.  The pick 6 yesterday might be the most telegraphed pass and easiest pick 6 to win a game there has ever been in the NFL.  It is more than opinion.  They could pull someone off the street who has never played football, stick him in there and when he fails, you would say we need more time to evaluate him.

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He seems like a really nice guy.  At this point, if SM cares about Peterman, he needs to make sure he never sees the field again.  He will have no future in the nfl.

McDermott likes the guy so much he's willing to just leave him on the roster so he can make is $600k this year. I bet he is on the roster until his rookie deal is over. Just McDermott looking out for a guy who trust's the process. 

53 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

He's the only option they have, it's that simple.  But, there's no doubt he was the clear-cut best QB through the off-season, and it's head scratching to see how badly he's played in live action.  McDermott will find another option I have no doubt in that, but when he does that is the bigger question.

Off topic a bit, but I don't care how much Josh struggles, I still think he's going to prove me wrong and turn out great.  Keep playing him if he's healthy.

Did anyone think that the game would end differently when he took the field? Lost all faith in him and I bet the team has as well. Suit up Anderson up and let Nate fade off to obscurity knowing he holds some dubious NFL records that will likely keep his name popping up in conversations among NFL commentators for years to come. 

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He throws a pick every 8.2 attempts.  The pick 6 yesterday might be the most telegraphed pass and easiest pick 6 to win a game there has ever been in the NFL.  It is more than opinion.  They could pull someone off the street who has never played football, stick him in there and when he fails, you would say we need more time to evaluate him.

I doubt that I would say we needed more time to evaluate someone who never played football. I totally agree with you that the pass in question was terrible execution that showed an inability to make, in this case, appropriate post snap reads. It would be hard to cook up a worse play call in the circumstances or imagine worse execution. But inexperienced QBs will do that. Occasionally even good ones do. I don't blame anyone for saying that NP should be drop kicked out of the NFL. You only get so many opportunities and he continues to make the same mistake. 

Just now, uticaclub said:

i have very real worries about our offensive talent evaluation. Other than Dion Dawkins, there isn't a single player contributing on offense that they brought in.

Zay Jones has been getting praise from Joe B., of late. Joe B. thinks he is turning into a decent receiver. I think if we had a true #1 receiver, Jones could end up being an excellent slot receiver. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't see where he's been given "so many chances". He made the team as a rookie backup & when the starter was playing horribly, the coach tried him in an attempt to shake up the offense & he failed.  Then in the offseason they drafted the QB of the future and decided not to waste a fortune like Arizona did with Bradford and settled for McCarron. McCarron was bad in mini camps and preseason & they decided to cut bait.  They didn't feel Allen was ready after the Cincy preseason game so the last man standing was Peterman.  He started & lasted a little over a half.  Then they eventually sign Anderson & have the misfortune to lose Allen one week before Anderson is ready to play.  They have tried with McCarron & now Anderson to have an adequate 2nd stringer or placeholder starter to replace Peterman & got stuck with Peterman twice this season due to the 1st guy failing to be what they thought he was and the 2nd guy being a week away.  Hardly "so many chances" for Peterman.     

When you completely muff three entire games, then that’s more than enough. His career should have been over before yesterday, but he played, and once again we saw what happened. He’s had more than enough chances in this league.

Does anybody really ever want to see him in a game again? Is there still some weird, give him another shot contingent on this board?

6 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

He's the only option they have, it's that simple.  But, there's no doubt he was the clear-cut best QB through the off-season, and it's head scratching to see how badly he's played in live action.  McDermott will find another option I have no doubt in that, but when he does that is the bigger question.

Off topic a bit, but I don't care how much Josh struggles, I still think he's going to prove me wrong and turn out great.  Keep playing him if he's healthy.

No. There are and were so many other options. Its on them for not making the right choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

Please , for God's sake, dropkick Nate into Lake Erie and run, don't walk, to sign Landry Jones. Jones is so much better than Nate (of course, anyone is better than Nate), it ain't funny. Does anyone want to attend a game with Nate at QB. He is positively painful to watch.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Well i think Nate is a true "off the field" professional and McBeane loves that character trait.  They've spent countless hours tutoring him and giving him practice reps, film room study, preseason games, etc..  They finally saw a glimpse of what they thought he could be when he led the Bills down, threw a great TD pass and gave the Bills a 13-10 lead.   So i can see why it's hard to cut the guy until the 3rd QB (DA) in the building is up to speed and shows in practice that he can complete some passes.   Once that happens I think Nate is released, and I cannot imagine another team signing him based on the flaws he has  

10 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Zay Jones has been getting praise from Joe B., of late. Joe B. thinks he is turning into a decent receiver. I think if we had a true #1 receiver, Jones could end up being an excellent slot receiver. 

Zay has looked good running routes this year, he's been open and made an amazing catch TD staying in bounds.