Sal Carpaccio’s Plan To Fix Offense in 2019

Definitely missing Wood, Incognito, and depth at LT with Glenn trade. I know Richie was bat$hit crazy, but the experience was there.

I don't know how many times I see our guards turn inside to help our center, even when he is holding his own, only to let a defender blow by them up the middle on a delayed blitz, twist, or just someone on the outside getting beat on an inside move. They need to be coached up a lot on maintaining good positioning and awareness - if they even have NFL talent.

Mills flat out looks and plays soft, saw and completely ignored Matthews coming off the outside for a sack, when both the TE and the running back on his side release off the line on that play. Mills has got to know he has no help, so he looks at a charging Matthews, ignores him and turns inside and look for phantom players to block and lets Josh get rocked...I was steamed from that play on. Matthews didn't resort to any trickery, the Bills just have O-Linemen who apparently feel a player like Matthews does not have to be blocked.

Daboll was trying to get our RBs involved in the passing game, but what choice does he have as these trench guys currently suck - he has to design plays that get the ball out of Josh's hands early, stick with the screens as defenses are being over aggressive right now, move the pocket - designed rollouts that cut the field in half for Josh and give him the sideline to run out or toss it away.

And yeah, there were more than a few coverage sacks, and GB had their edge guys spying Josh to take away any scrambling opportunities.

I agree with Sal... unless those boys up front show some kind of quantum improvement, McDermott needs to load up on OL and WR talent this next draft.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

We need big targets with big wingspans to catch Allen's off target passes.  Little speedy guys, like the ones we've signed and drafted so far, won't mesh with Allen's skillset. 

We have one little speed guy and he went undrafted.  

I would target Golden Tate first and I'd over pay.  I think 3 years 36 mil with 20 guaranteed.  

Then I'd try and get Jordy Nelson and John Brown.  

I'd also take a flyer on Martavis Bryant if I got enough veteran leadership like Jordy and Tate.  

I might even take a peek at Enunwa but he may cost a little more than I'd like to pay for not proving it long enough.  

I want veteran wide receivers that know how to get open.  Allen needs to see a pro run routes so he can learn what to look for.   I'm drafting one early too for sure and I'd consider a first rounder - even if I signed all of the above players.  He needs his young WR to grow with. 

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with the idea of bringing in some OL via FA. Solidify the line. I don't see a top FA WR like Cobb wanting to come here. Perhaps Moncrief? Jax is short on cap space which means he should be available if he is willing to come here. I definitely like the idea of drafting a WR with the 1st round pick. It's rumored to be a strong Defensive draft so a top WR could well be available when the Bills pick comes up. I'd also like the Bills to try to improve their TE position through FA if possible. The Bills will have to make a serious decision on Hughes after this season is over. Also it is time to bring in a RB as Shady may or may not be around after this year is over.

Why are we looking to the draft for an elite WR?  Wasn't Zay Jones an elite college WR.  Oh wait, he just aimlessly runs around in circles on the field.  With all of our cap space, we need a PROVEN ESTABLISHED WR.  

Just now, White Linen said:

It's always that way.  Good proven WR's do not become available often.  

Some years you get a couple decent guys, but this coming year it's 31 year old Golden Tate and then a huge drop off to guys who are nothing more than #3 guys around the NFL.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

.  He believes 1 good WR would help improve the performance of other receivers on  the offense.  

Worked for the Rams last year.  Watkins made the other receivers better than him right away...

1 minute ago, Cson76 said:

what you don't like Randall Cobb, Kelvin Benjamin, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Devin Funchess, the last name is almost a guarantee.

Tate is a good player but he's 31 years old. 

Fitzgerald is a hall of famer, but he's 35.

The others guys are junk. 

I'd look at Tyrell Williams as a #2 deep threat, and I'd look at Geronimo Allison as a #3. The rest of the class is terrible. 

13 hours ago, loedward22 said:

Sal needs to refine his idea. We actually have to find a high culture (ideally a holy roller) elite WR.  Unfortunately these are even more rare and difficult to find. 

Don't forget this WR needs to buy into the culture of One Bills Drive & never questions what comes out of Mcdipshits mouth.  These are the most important qualities of any player in the draft.  

16 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting appearance from Sal Carpaccio today.  He shared his plan for 2019 to help rescue the Bills offense.  He thinks the Bills can fill a few holes on the OL in Free Agency.  But that the Bills need to acquire an “elite” WR.  He mentions they really should focus on finding 1 good WR instead of several good ones ones.  He believes 1 good WR would help improve the performance of other receivers on  the offense.  

A hilarious moment occurred when Jeremy asked Sal where they would find an elite WR to which Sal said “I don’t know.”  LOL.  Not sure what the WR class is like in 2019, but they have a very good chance to nab a top WR

For Allen he believes the most important part will be how he processes defenses.  He already has the physical tools and probably won’t even be a pinpoint accurate passer.  But he needs to show he can understand defenses.  

You can listen to the interview here:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-03-sal-capaccio-howard-and-jeremy

Allen needs to throw better.  It's not just a question of pinpoint, he is missing "gimmes" that NFL QB have to hit.  If he can make those throws and avoid a few stupidities, we could move the ball with his current ability to understand D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen needs to throw better.  It's not just a question of pinpoint, he is missing "gimmes" that NFL QB have to hit.  If he can make those throws and avoid a few stupidities, we could move the ball with his current ability to understand D.

My worry (others on this board have also raised this point as well) is that he appeared to over-anticipate "phantom" pressure points where the rollout bail maneuver (as opposed to stepping up in the pocket a couple of steps) because of the overall amount of times that he was either getting hit or facing legit jailbreak pressure in the interior of the line--caused him to abandon his designed drop/release point too early. I think that's what in large part led to a ripple effect/outcome of what you are referencing. Hopefully as he settles in and gains an internal clock more in line with the rhythm of the game, that will be less of an issue (along with better play by everyone else).  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Worked for the Rams last year.  Watkins made the other receivers better than him right away...

Different scenario.  Sammy was essentially a decoy.  Never really stepped up.    He used AJ Green as an example.  He makes plays AND shells take coverage off Ty Boyd

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’ve only seen a couple of easy throws missed so far.  His passes to the RB’s out of the backfield have been good.  I remember reading that he struggled with those throws in Wyoming

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Some years you get a couple decent guys, but this coming year it's 31 year old Golden Tate and then a huge drop off to guys who are nothing more than #3 guys around the NFL.

Most years you don't see a couple good guys but you said decent and there's almost always that.  Tate isn't just some guy - he's excellent and would be perfect for our situation.  I've long said this is the most difficult position beyond QB to fix in free agency or the draft for that matter.  

9 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Most years you don't see a couple good guys but you said decent and there's almost always that.  Tate isn't just some guy - he's excellent and would be perfect for our situation.  I've long said this is the most difficult position beyond QB to fix in free agency or the draft for that matter.  

If that's the case, then our decision to trade Sammy Watkins and make no attempt to re sign Robert Woods like extremely foolish.

This regime has given zero indication they can actually evaluate offensive talent. They've let good NFL players leave, and have replaced them with guys who are backups at best. 

Benjamin was a massive miss, trading up for Zay Jones when similar players like Juju Smith Schuster was available was a disaster, the players they've brought in on the OL have all been replacement level contributors, etc. 

This regime has given me no confidence that they'll be able to identify good young offensive players. Pretty much everything they've added on that side of the ball hasn't worked out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Different scenario.  Sammy was essentially a decoy.  Never really stepped up.    He used AJ Green as an example.  He makes plays AND shells take coverage off Ty Boyd

(tap tap)...Is this thing on?

7 hours ago, jrober38 said:

If that's the case, then our decision to trade Sammy Watkins and make no attempt to re sign Robert Woods like extremely foolish.

This regime has given zero indication they can actually evaluate offensive talent. They've let good NFL players leave, and have replaced them with guys who are backups at best. 

Benjamin was a massive miss, trading up for Zay Jones when similar players like Juju Smith Schuster was available was a disaster, the players they've brought in on the OL have all been replacement level contributors, etc. 

This regime has given me no confidence that they'll be able to identify good young offensive players. Pretty much everything they've added on that side of the ball hasn't worked out. 

This is what happens when you have Tyrod Taylor as your QB.  You have no idea that you have an excellent WR in Woods on your team because TT buried his talent.  At the time 8+ million seemed high because you can't be sure what he is - because of the QB.  Robert does miss a good bit of time though. 

Watkins - no - he's not the kind of guy you pay huge dollars to.  Hence he's not been signed to a long term deal.  

Try not to live in the past though, seriously.  It does absolutely no good.  We have to build weapons around Allen and we're going to need some good fortune and Antonio Brown type in the 6th would be nice, haha.  They got so damn lucky.  

Edited by White Linen

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My worry (others on this board have also raised this point as well) is that he appeared to over-anticipate "phantom" pressure points where the rollout bail maneuver (as opposed to stepping up in the pocket a couple of steps) because of the overall amount of times that he was either getting hit or facing legit jailbreak pressure in the interior of the line--caused him to abandon his designed drop/release point too early. I think that's what in large part led to a ripple effect/outcome of what you are referencing. Hopefully as he settles in and gains an internal clock more in line with the rhythm of the game, that will be less of an issue (along with better play by everyone else).  

the problem i see is that he looks and directs his stature towards his first read. he doesn't turn his head quickly or has no peripheral vision....then bails. it was the biggest beef against toorod and rightfully so but we gotta get this kids clock timer right. hopefully we can put together a line than can pass pro next year.

we could probably do much better even now if mcd would relieve jauna be and revamp the oline philosophy. it can be done in a week. do it.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

This is what happens when you have Tyrod Taylor as your QB.  You have no idea that you have an excellent WR in Woods on your team because TT buried his talent.  At the time 8+ million seemed high because you can't be sure what he is - because of the QB.  Robert does miss a good bit of time though. 

Watkins - no - he's not the kind of guy you pay huge dollars to.  Hence he's not been signed to a long term deal.  

Try not to live in the past though, seriously.  It does absolutely no good.  We have to build weapons around Allen and we're going to need some good fortune and Antonio Brown type in the 6th would be nice, haha.  They got so damn lucky.  

This is what i have been saying for years.  Moving on from both players made sense at the time (Marquese Goodwin too).  Maybe Woods would have been worth keeping but trading Sammy was 100% the right choice.  Anyone who says otherwise is not thinking clearly

On 10/3/2018 at 5:49 PM, ScottLaw said:

I'll take a good receiver who can get separation.

Was hoping they'd sign Sammy's Wat, uh nevermind.

Incredibly, Sammy is the highest paid receiver on KC and is their 3rd most productive playing with the best QB in the NFL on the best offense in the NFL.

Edited by BringBackOrton

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Incredibly, Sammy is the highest paid receiver on KC and is their 3rd most productive playing with the best QB in the NFL on the best offense in the NFL.

He has cap hits of $19.2 mil in 2019 and $21 mil in 2020. Yikes.

6 minutes ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Funny because he was also a 3rd option in LA.  Am I seeing a trend here?

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He has cap hits of $19.2 mil in 2019 and $21 mil in 2020. Yikes.

Stat of the day.  Sammy Watkins has a paper thin lead of 32 yards receiving on Zay Jones for the year.

You know what would make me happy? Picking an O-linemen in both the 1st & 2nd rounds. Just get the 2 best available at any position, then sign some more in FA. Then next year draft 2 more studs, and keep that core together foreevvverrrr! 

Screw everything else. Yeah, you want someone to throw to as well, but every coach thinks in order to be successful in Buffalo you have to focus on run game first, so at least we'd have that.