Nine former Bills receive Class of 2019 HOF Nominations

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tasker needs to get in.

hes the best ever at his position. He revolutionized special teams

I couldn't agree more.

I know the argument for NOT putting a special teams guy in there.  Doesn't play enough, doesn't impact the game enough, perhaps, and so on.

There are 2 exceptions that make Tasker a legitimate HOFer IMO:

1) He wasn't just an outstanding player, he was the best gunner the league has ever seen, and the second best guy is a mile behind.  That deserves recognition.

2) He had a knack for making huge, big, explosive, impact plays that altered the outcome of football games.  Guys like that are very rare and worth their weight in gold when you find them.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I couldn't agree more.

I know the argument for NOT putting a special teams guy in there.  Doesn't play enough, doesn't impact the game enough, perhaps, and so on.

1) He wasn't just an outstanding player, he was the best gunner the league has ever seen, and the second best guy is a mile behind.  That deserves recognition.

2) He had a knack for making huge, big, explosive, impact plays that altered the outcome of football games.  Guys like that are very rare and worth their weight in gold when you find them.

If they can induct a punter into the HOF, they can induct Tasker.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I couldn't agree more.

He was every bit a critical piece of the 4 SB teams

exactly as you stated, he made big , explosive plays when they mattered 

He is the best gunner of all time, and it isn’t even close

ask all the other AFC east coaches how much of an impact Tasker had on their gameplanes and how they hated playing him 

• Like (+1) 2

And how about Kent Hull?

He was the anchor on an outstanding offensive line for years.

I will always remember Will Wolford talking to the media after a game from the locker room.  A critical Kent Hull holding penalty was being discussed and Will said something like "Believe me, Kent doesn't hold" as if to say there is no way it could have been a good call b/c in Wolford's mind, Hull literally did not hold, like ever....b/c he just didn't need to.

Coming from a guy as good as Wolford that is high praise.

I don't think Kent will get into the HOF, but he should!

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

LB London Fletcher
FB Larry Centers
C Kent Hull
LB Cornelius Bennett
LB Chris Spielman
LB Takeo Spikes
LB Darryl Talley
S Troy Vincent
ST Steve Tasker

AWESOME news.  

#respect

Kent Hull, Cornelius Bennett,  Darryl Talley,  and  Steve Tasker   Bills lifers.  

I loved both London Fletcher and Larry Centers but as part timers.   It's different in a way. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

AWESOME news.  

#respect

Kent Hull, Cornelius Bennett,  Darryl Talley,  and  Steve Tasker   Bills lifers.  

I loved both London Fletcher and Larry Centers but as part timers.   It's different in a way. 

Technically we scooped Tasker off waivers iirc so he was with another team and Talley went to MN and ATL after us for 1 a piece 

just being that guy ?

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Technically we scooped Tasker off waivers iirc so he was with another team and Talley went to MN and ATL after us for 1 a piece 

just being that guy ?

the end of career departures after 10 plus with the Bills I can accept.     

I still love to hear  when London Fletcher's and Larry Centers  names are called  out. 

It seems Tasker was always a Bill.  

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I couldn't agree more.

I'll give you #3: You cannot argue he didn't impact/change the game when they created a freakin' pro bowl position just for him.

This is the reason the HoF is a joke. Jackwagon "sports writers" who carry petty grudges and idiotic biases.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

And how about Kent Hull?

I will always remember Will Wolford talking to the media after a game from the locker room.  A critical Kent Hull holding penalty was being discussed and Will said something like "Believe me, Kent doesn't hold" as if to say there is no way it could have been a good call b/c in Wolford's mind, Hull literally did not hold, like ever....b/c he just didn't need to.

Yup;  Hull is the guy who should get more recognition.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

just being that guy ?

He was with Houston. Once saw an interview with Tasker, where he said that Jerry Glanville asked him to intentionally fail the Bills' physical, so they could re-sign him with the Oilers.

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the end of career departures after 10 plus with the Bills I can accept.     

I still love to hear  when London Fletcher's and Larry Centers  names are called  out. 

It seems Tasker was always a Bill.  

Tasker was with Houston in 85 and the first 2 games of 86

NFL HoFrs enter as a member of all the teams they played for . So Shady would definitely also be a Bill , so Fletcher technically would be as well

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

He was with Houston. Once saw an interview with Tasker, where he said that Jerry Glanville asked him to intentionally fail the Bills' physical, so they could re-sign him with the Oilers.

I know he was with Houston. It was a steal of a move

I tell you what about Tasker, a lot of people find him quite annoying as a media guy and I can see why. He does stumble and mumble his way through things a lot. I don't like him on TV but think he's much better on the radio. 

But the main thing that always strikes me is what a seriously nice, humble guy he seems to be. He's so down to earth on the radio show, never seems arrogant, doesn't **** on peoples' opinions when they call in. 

And every time arrogant Murph seems to disagree with every point Tasker makes, he never pulls out the "well I've played the game" line. You wouldn't even realise he was a former player if you didn't know who he was. I especially admire the way he is with Murph considering the fact that he's a former athlete in consideration for the HOF while Murphy looks like the only exercise he's ever had is when he reaches up to wipe the barbeque sauce off his chin. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I couldn't agree more.

Is he really the best gunner ever?  I’ve never really scouted them so I wouldn’t even be able to tell you who the top 5 are.  If he’s the best, what makes him SO much better than the #2 guy.  Who is the #2 guy btw?

I always knew that up until he retired he may have been the best ever.  It’s been 20 years and these guys are way faster and stronger than he was.  He was a great contributor to just about every aspect of special teams. But was he really the best gunner ever?  

Edited by NewEra

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I couldn't agree more.

A play I'll never forget is Deion Sanders camped out under a punt and looking downfield to see where he wanted to take it. When he tried to take his first step, he looked down and found Tasker had wrapped up his legs and he wasn't going anywhere. Not a moster hit, but he completely neutralized a hall of famer

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

And how about Kent Hull?

Definitely and underrated and underappreciated (outside of Buffalo) player. Any time I've read/listened to interviews about him the most consistent thing that comes up is his intelligence. I've heard numerous players say he was one of the smartest X's and O's guys they'd ever been around. Without him, the K-Gun probably never works as well as it did. Hull was able to process and call out the protection quick enough to keep that offense going at the pace it did. That's not easy to do. Hopeful for him to get in but not overly optimistic.

It will be tough for any player identified primarily as a Bill to get in.  Two reasons.  First, the Bills who have gotten in did so largely because Larry Felser advocated for them and Felser had the respect of the other football writers.  Well, that and the fact that they were all great players who deserved selection.  But without a repected advocate the chances of getting in drop.  The second reason is that the Bills have been so bad for so long, that a lot of younger people don't remember how good they used to be.  

If Felser were still around, Kent Hull would have a chance.  Probably not now, even though he deserves it.  Felser got Billy Shaw selected, a well deserved honor but also a minor miracle.

And Tasker should have been in the HOF 10 years ago.  It's a disgrace he isn't already.

3 hours ago, PeterDude said:

A lot of the guys on that list made their important hay before they played for the Bills, so this list is kinda silly IMO.

5 of them were long term bills.  Five of Fletcher's first 6 as a starter were as a Bill.  So I would recognize 6 as Bills.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Definitely and underrated and underappreciated (outside of Buffalo) player. Any time I've read/listened to interviews about him the most consistent thing that comes up is his intelligence. I've heard numerous players say he was one of the smartest X's and O's guys they'd ever been around. Without him, the K-Gun probably never works as well as it did. Hull was able to process and call out the protection quick enough to keep that offense going at the pace it did. That's not easy to do. Hopeful for him to get in but not overly optimistic.

Some of my fondest memories from that time are with the team lined up at the line of scrimmage, Kelly behind center, and Kent would have his snapping hand on the ball.  He'd sort of half-stand up and turn his body to the left, then to the right, then maybe back to the the left again, barking out blocking assignments.

I think half the time he was calling the actual play too, as he was no doubt much more intelligent than Kelly.  I'm pretty sure there were times when Kelly had his bell rung and Kent was telling him what signals to call, while lined up.

Kent Hull is one of my all time favorite Bills, so I'm biased, but he was one hell of a good center too.

I'd love to see him get in the HOF.  

He's doing what I'm talking about in this photo:

football-afc-playoffs-buffalo-bills-kent

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

It will be tough for any player identified primarily as a Bill to get in.  Two reasons.  First, the Bills who have gotten in did so largely because Larry Felser advocated for them and Felser had the respect of the other football writers.  Well, that and the fact that they were all great players who deserved selection.  But without a repected advocate the chances of getting in drop.  The second reason is that the Bills have been so bad for so long, that a lot of younger people don't remember how good they used to be.  

If Felser were still around, Kent Hull would have a chance.  Probably not now, even though he deserves it.  Felser got Billy Shaw selected, a well deserved honor but also a minor miracle.

And Tasker should have been in the HOF 10 years ago.  It's a disgrace he isn't already.

I believe that Mark Gaughan with TBN was very instrumental in Andre Reed’s campaign. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All great Bills but they just belong in the Hall of Very Good.  Tasker has the best shot. Spikes and Spielman might have been if not for injuries.  Spikes had the most dominating linebacker season I ever remember a Bill having.  He was amazing pre injury.

Sam Cowart was beastly until that !@#$ from TB cheap-shotted him.

• Like (+1) 1