Cover 1: Erik Turner Asks "Is Josh Allen Ready to Handle Trials and Tribulations?" - Apparently Yes

26CornerBlitz

At this point it’d Be hard to get these guys to follow Peterman. That’s just how it is. Sure different guys got Cs on their jersey, but everybody knows the QB takes that roll whenever he steps on the field. Practice, preseason is one thing and gameday is really all that matters.

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Logan Thomas anyone??

true,  and if we don't start Bodine in place of Groy, and, well, with this o-line, we may be tanking whether we intend to or not! 

I think Bodine is worse but they are both bad so it really doesn't matter. This whole line is bad and needs to be replaced besides Dawkins.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think Bodine is worse but they are both bad so it really doesn't matter. This whole line is bad and needs to be replaced besides Dawkins.

totally agree.  The head-bob thing Groy was doing drove me nuts.  It's a clear tell to the D.  perhaps move Groy to guard.  I have no idea.  Put us in.  I can fall down from a bull-rush as good as the rest of them! (besides Dawkins, keep him, others backups).  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

totally agree.  The head-bob thing Groy was doing drove me nuts.  It's a clear tell to the D.  perhaps move Groy to guard.  I have no idea.  Put us in.  I can fall down from a bull-rush as good as the rest of them! (besides Dawkins, keep him, others backups).  

They will never admit it but I think we are tanking this year. I'd rather we did it last year.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah.  How's Winston doing again?

Allen will take some shots behind that line to be sure.  I would have preferred he sit some first, but looks like he's going to be baptized by fire.

Let him get baptized, hes a damn tank.  He's a greasy fast 200 pound Italian tank. Go through him, run over 'em" ..

4 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

The only reason not to play Allen is if you fear injury behind this OL.  If his confidence get shattered and he is "ruined", he's not a franchise guy anyways.

totally agree.  didn't used to, but I say play Allen.  Find out what you have.  Bridgewater is a target in FA if not since we have the money to go after him.  

Some people believe unless you have a Pro bowl line and hall of fame receiver you should not start a rookie QB. Maybe you should just wrap Allen up in bubble wrap and put him away untill the Bills get these items whenever the Hell that is. Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning started 16 games surrounded by garbage. Allen had no line and no receivers at all at Wyoming I think he is qualified to start in Buffalo. 

Edited by Tatonka68
  • Like (+1) 1

FWIW

6 up, 6 down: Highest and lowest Buffalo Bills Week 1 grades from Pro Football Focus

HIGHEST: Josh Allen
Overall grade: 73.3
Best category: Pass (70.3)
Snaps played: 32

Here's a bit of a surprise. Josh Allen is currently ranked 11th among all quarterbacks with a 73.3 grade. His stat-line (6-of-15, 74 yards, 4 carries, 26 yards) clearly didn't tell the entire story on Sunday.

Allen came into the game at a point where the Ravens defense could sit back and play the pass. His grade was significantly higher than Nathan Peterman's overall grade.

LOWEST: Nathan Peterman
Overall grade: 24.3 
Worst category: Pass (25.3)
Snaps played: 32

Nathan Peterman's start against the Ravens was nothing short of a disaster. He completed 5-of-18 passes for 24 yards, threw two interceptions and took five sacks. Among qualifying quarterbacks, Peterman's grade earned him last place (31st). The next lowest grade was given to Sam Bradford (43.7).
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't think McD looks at this stuff...............he's going to watch the game tape and decide what's best for the team..........

So he hasn't made up his mind yet...............and what he thinks is best for the team is anybody's guess.

It's pretty obvious that McD had enough confidence in Peterman to unload AJ.

If they bench Peterman now it's an admission that he/they totally screwed up and I'm not sure they want to do that.

But that's why we play the game................

2 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

I don't think McD looks at this stuff...............he's going to watch the game tape and decide what's best for the team..........

So he hasn't made up his mind yet...............and what he thinks is best for the team is anybody's guess.

It's pretty obvious that McD had enough confidence in Peterman to unload AJ.

If they bench Peterman now it's an admission that he/they totally screwed up and I'm not sure they want to do that.

But that's why we play the game................

Any confidence they had coming into the regular season should be shattered by his putrid performance on the field. 

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The funny thing is that this coaching staff told you, very clearly, that he is not ready in their opinion.

That's why he didn't start in Baltimore.

Now they are probably going to start him anyway, if not this week, then soon.

Makes the coaches look bad IMO.

They actually did not say that.....so they wont look bad

They said that Peterman won the job in camp because he was the most consistant.

Then live fire bullets started being thrown and Nate looked bad

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Any confidence they had coming into the regular season should be shattered by his putrid performance on the field. 

That's true, but then they have to scramble to correct the situation, and what options do they have ? Start Allen ? 

Is that going to solve the problem ?

They need another QB, quick, but that's not all..........

This is gonna look really bad to the Pegula's when everything they've been told about "The Process" is turning to sh*t.

And it's not just Peterman. They were watching KB get a ball in the numbers in the back of the end zone and drop it.

This team is awful and McD had no idea how bad. That makes him look like.....................what ?

Unless "The Process" meant to not start Allen at all this season, and tank.......................then it all makes sense.

And McD can start Peterman this week.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They actually did not say that.....so they wont look bad

They said that Peterman won the job in camp because he was the most consistant.

Then live fire bullets started being thrown and Nate looked bad

Look, even if they start Allen this week, it's unlikely he's gonna play every snap this season.

And the only other QB on the roster right now is Peterman.

So we will see Peterman again this season...................and it could be this Sunday..............

43 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Some people believe unless you have a Pro bowl line and hall of fame receiver you should not start a rookie QB. Maybe you should just wrap Allen up in bubble wrap and put him away untill the Bills get these items whenever the Hell that is. Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning started 16 games surrounded by garbage. Allen had no line and no receivers at all at Wyoming I think he is qualified to start in Buffalo. 

I was thinking this same thing. If anyone is prepared to play with trash it’s Allen!! 

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I would not start JA against the Chargers and certainly not against Minni. After that the schedule lightens up a bit.

So I guess that means I'd start Nate the next two games. 

This is probably the best time to start him. Three key players on the Chargers defense from last year will not play, Varrett, Bosa and luiget. What better time than now.

I don't think Josh will ever be ready for the NFL.

The guy isn't mentally capable of processing information quickly.  Too often he gets to the line too slowly, can't figure out what to audible at line, doesn't progress through routes to find out which gut WILL be opened, and panics with pressure.

The same issues he had in college are not just going to go away when you mentally are not capable of handling what is expected.

3 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't think Josh will ever be ready for the NFL.

The guy isn't mentally capable of processing information quickly.  Too often he gets to the line too slowly, can't figure out what to audible at line, doesn't progress through routes to find out which gut WILL be opened, and panics with pressure.

The same issues he had in college are not just going to go away when you mentally are not capable of handling what is expected.

Here's just one example that refutes your spiel.

Flash forward to the next drive, Allen and the offense face a 3rd and 10 at their 18-yard line. Allen takes the snap, surveys the field and realizes that WR Benjamin and RB Murphy are eliminated as options. The strong safety jumps the route by Murphy and that the deep safety bails to help on Benjamin. So he finds his third option in this concept, the deep over route run by WR Jeremy Kerley. Kerley sees the soft spot in the zone where the defenders vacated. Allen with his eyes downfield and two pass rushers crossing his face and going in separate directions slides, finds a platform to throw and unleashes a bullet to Kerley. The location is solid, if he is led out anymore ahead his head is probably taken off. Unfortunately, right guard is called for a hold. This isn’t the easiest coverage to diagnose pre to post snap, but Allen did what he could to extend the play within the pocket.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here's just one example that refutes your spiel.

Flash forward to the next drive, Allen and the offense face a 3rd and 10 at their 18-yard line. Allen takes the snap, surveys the field and realizes that WR Benjamin and RB Murphy are eliminated as options. The strong safety jumps the route by Murphy and that the deep safety bails to help on Benjamin. So he finds his third option in this concept, the deep over route run by WR Jeremy Kerley. Kerley sees the soft spot in the zone where the defenders vacated. Allen with his eyes downfield and two pass rushers crossing his face and going in separate directions slides, finds a platform to throw and unleashes a bullet to Kerley. The location is solid, if he is led out anymore ahead his head is probably taken off. Unfortunately, right guard is called for a hold. This isn’t the easiest coverage to diagnose pre to post snap, but Allen did what he could to extend the play within the pocket.

Bro, his head and shoulders stayed in same position the whole time in pocket.  Allen was literally just waiting for Kelvin to get opened.   With the Ravens' starters out there, he is sacked already.

5 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

This is probably the best time to start him. Three key players on the Chargers defense from last year will not play, Varrett, Bosa and luiget. What better time than now.

Fair enuf, but once you start him you should not (absent injury) sit him down. You might start him against LA but I would think twice before serving him up to Minni's D. Although the Pack is pretty good I feel the schedule lightens up a bit after the Vikes. So that is when I would feel more comfortable starting him. 

Im not so much worried about a loss of confidence. I think he's pretty strong mentally. I'd be more concerned about possible injury and regression regarding the things he needs to work on. Behind our line and with our WR corps he would against a team like Minni be exactly in the same position he was in when WYO played Iowa last year and he would likely look the same, which is not how you want him to look. 

Josh Allen is not Sam Darnold. He may well have an even higher ceiling but he is not as polished. This isn't Allen's fault. It's more the result of the unusual path he followed on his way to the NFL He also would not be starting behind a team with a good O-line, good WRs and, until Daboll proves otherwise, a good game plan and playcaller. Darnold had all those things helping him last night. 

I agree that game experience can be a valuable lesson, and it has to become that for a young QB sooner or later if he is to succeed. I think it was exactly that for Darnold last night. I don't know that it would be for JA at this time. 

• Like (+1) 1

The reason to start Allen now is to turn this sinking ship around and make a run for the playoffs.

To me that seems ridiculous..........

McD botched this season when they unloaded TT for a draft pick, and replaced him with AJ.

They screwed themselves with that move.

We are about to find out whether McD elects to tank, or try to salvage.

I'm guessing tank..............

4 minutes ago, APoxOnYou said:

The real question is why the Bills are so sure that Allen isn't ready to start. They throught Peterman was an NFL starter as they traded AJ so they had to think he was capable. Maybe their judgment should be questioned. 

He is not ready, but no point in delaying his on field development and experience with Peterman as the only alternative. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

One question I would have is who do we have on the offense that presents a matchup that the Bills can exploit?

Good question and that’s why Daboll makes big bucks. I’d like to see two TEs in the lineup most of the time, Clay and Croom, who can both flex and create matchup problems. I’d at least look at it for a series or two, anyway. But yeah, we are lacking in talent at WR, so the pickins are slim for sure.

The more exposure Allen gets the sooner he will be a great QB. Allen believes in himself 100%, match that with talent and he has a shot at being special. The  thing he will get better at is consistency, and consistency comes with repetition. As we witnessed you can not simulate game action anymore except in a live regular season game. Remember Peterman looked good in preseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Allen is way ahead of the linemen and receivers...that's the real problem. They are the ones that aren't ready.

I was going to say this. RB is ok, TE has some youth in Croom (and Lee on the PS).

Look at the the young QBs around the league and the WR, OL combos they have. Darnold had pretty good time and the Jet WRs are nothing to write home about, but they do have a nice mix of young guys and a few vets sprinkled in. Goff, Wentz and Mahomes have dream scenarios.Even Fitzmagic showed how good Winston has it.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the Darnold comment above.  I only watched a few minutes of the Jests game last night, but I did see the play where Darnold threw a bomb down the left sideline to Robbie Anderson for Darnold's first NFL TD.  His line gave him ALL DAY to get that throw off.  I don't know if Peterman has the arm strength to make that play, but Allen certainly does.  It's going to be a while before a Bills QB has that kind of time to throw.  I was a believer in Peterman earning the job and being the stopgap, but I have been proven wrong.  I didn't love the McCarron trade at the time and now I really dislike it.  This coaching staff and I have something in common - we both overvalued Peterman.

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

We are tanking either way

Fair.  But in the one case, we may tank but believe in ourselves enough to learn good habits and for Allen to develop.

In the other case, we may be badly enough outmatched to undo any progress McDermott has made towards building a great team work ethic and slide into inevitable apathy.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Man...is Groy just not strong at all at the point of attack?

That would be "no".