Patrick Mahomes Lighting up the Chargers

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The flip side is- sit him behind Tyrod and use the boat load of picks to acquire all that instead of dismantling the team to trade up for the qb. 

I dont know the thought process behind why they loved allen but traded out of Mahoney but it’s an interesting enough discussion 

Well, I get it with a brand new scouting dept and no GM at the time I can understand why McD wasn't so sure about Mahomes. 

The Chiefs let the kid sit an entire year and now has some great weapons around him with Hill, Hunt, Kelce and Sammy Watkins. Good O line, they can run, they can throw. 

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Mahomes is Josh Allen with much better instincts. 

It's unfathomable to me that we passed on Mahomes just to go after Allen with a higher pick the next season. 

Truly mind boggling. 

Well, now that you put it that way ... actually, a really good point, since Mahomes has all the physical talent that Allen has, plus he played college ball at a considerably higher level and was certainly closer to be NFL ready than Allen is at a comparable point. Someone has no doubt done the full post mortem on who got what through the series of trade down (so the Chiefs could take Mahomes) and trades up (so we could take Allen), but it seems like that's a wash. So ... why wait for Allen when you could've just taken Mahomes? (This is no knock on Allen, but just noting that my mind is equally boggled)

If you put Josh on the Chiefs with Andy Reid and Mahomes on the Bills with McDermott the situations would very likely be reversed. The Chiefs have the very best collection of skill players in the league, with a good coach, and the OL has been giving Mahomes a lot of time. Mahomes would be running for his life like Josh was on the the Bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

Cheetah has me 30 fantasy points ?

He's an outstanding receiver. He is definitely top 10 and if he keeps up this kind of performance he'll be top 5 before long. The one TD pass was a standard short pass over the middle and he just put on the burners to take it 50+ yards. Another pass Mahomes threw too high in double coverage but Hill jumped up and brought it down with perfect timing for a 30 yard gain. Our receivers can't even catch a ball that hits them in the numbers.

Just now, HappyDays said:

He's an outstanding receiver. He is definitely top 10 and if he keeps up this kind of performance he'll be top 5 before long. The one TD pass was a standard short pass over the middle and he just put on the burners to take it 50+ yards. Another pass Mahomes threw too high in double coverage but Hill jumped up and brought it down with perfect timing for a 30 yard gain. Our receivers can't even catch a ball that hits them in the numbers.

His speed is freaking unreal. I haven't seen that speed since maybe Darren Sproles when he was with the Eagles. 

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Well, I get it with a brand new scouting dept and no GM at the time I can understand why McD wasn't so sure about Mahomes. 

The Chiefs let the kid sit an entire year and now has some great weapons around him with Hill, Hunt, Kelce and Sammy Watkins. Good O line, they can run, they can throw. 

Honestly, that argument might make me feel worse, not better about our long term prospects. If the power structure created a spot where we couldn’t evaluate QBs for an entire offseason when we needed one then I think it’s a bigger red flag, no? Maybe ok short term but over the long haul? 

Additionally, we could’ve done the alex smith role with Tyrod. Not peterman, but our situations weren’t TERRIBLY dissimilar 

Edited by NoSaint

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

66% of his yards are from Tyreek Hill. I have watched the whole game and he's looked fine but nothing he's done makes me think we screwed up passing on him for Josh Allen.

But Allen has done nothing to contradict that feeling that we DID screw up...yet. Let’s all hope you’re right, for our collective sanity’s sake.

13 minutes ago, 17 Josh Allen said:

Yes he is and i’m loving. I’m one of those people who wanted mahomes. Where are all those people saying he sucks and is nothing. Your wrong so admit it 

I was, relatively, a doubter. I had a high 3rd round grade on him but did say when he went to KC I thought it was the perfect place and that the redshirt year was 100% the right approach and he had a chance to tidy up the footwork. While it is still less than perfect it is improved and I think he has been outstanding today. Still some room for improvement with footwork and tight window throws but I am prepared to say he looks like being successful. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I was, relatively, a doubter. I had a high 3rd round grade on him but did say when he went to KC I thought it was the perfect place and that the redshirt year was 100% the right approach and he had a chance to tidy up the footwork. While it is still less than perfect it is improved and I think he has been outstanding today. Still some room for improvement with footwork and tight window throws but I am prepared to say he looks like being successful. 

What was your Allen grade?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Hard to find a better situation. Reid as coach. Hunt at RB. Kelce at TE. Tyreek and Sammy outside. And the line is playing well. 

12 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Look at the freaking weapons the kid has...

On another point, Ryan Fitzpatrick went 21 of 28 for 417 yards, 4 TDs,  49 fan points :P

Probably sitting on the bench for 95% of his fantasy owners!  :lol:

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's unfathomable to me that we passed on Mahomes just to go after Allen with a higher pick the next season. 

Truly mind boggling. 

I think Allen has great instincts from what I've seen so far...he shuffles in the pocket and feels pressure very well. Keeps his eyes downfield on the move and throws strikes.

Mahomes had an entire year in the Chiefs system. You are comparing a year 2 guy to a rookie. Not a fair comparison. Mahomes didn't play last year until the last week of the season.

Quite a big difference in skill players and the OLine around him as well. Lets not kid ourselves.

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

What was your Allen grade?

Pretty similar. Had him slightly lower than I had Mahomes actually I think. Would have to check. Had them in the same range though. They were similar to me in that they were both very high ceiling guys but with some fundamentals questions which made me doubt them getting there. 

6 minutes ago, StrikeParry said:

But Allen has done nothing to contradict that feeling that we DID screw up...yet. Let’s all hope you’re right, for our collective sanity’s sake.

People said the same thing about Watson, that we made a mistake not drafting him. But he didn't look good at all today and it's not like the Patriots defense is elite. It's going to take a lot more than one game for Mahomes to prove anything. I mean I get it, he's making good reads and getting the ball to his playmakers. That's all you can do as a QB. But he hasn't done anything to make me think he could play with our roster and be successful. Every one of his completions have been routine throws. One thing I'll give him credit for is no interceptions. I expected some turnovers.

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't really true. We wouldn't have both of them but we could have easily had one of them (likely Edmunds). 

Also I don't really care about making the playoffs. The goal is to win Super Bowls. 

I argued for Mahomes throughout the season before that Draft. His first and biggest backer on BBMB.

It pains me still we decided to trade out and not take him but he’s in the perfect spot. We’d probably ruin him with our OL and weapons.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Pretty similar. Had him slightly lower than I had Mahomes actually I think. Would have to check. Had them in the same range though. They were similar to me in that they were both very high ceiling guys but with some fundamentals questions which made me doubt them getting there. 

Do you have a link to your 2017 evaluations?  I'd love to reread them.

Just now, HappyDays said:

People said the same thing about Watson, that we made a mistake not drafting him. But he didn't look good at all today and it's not like the Patriots defense is elite. It's going to take a lot more than one game for Mahomes to prove anything. I mean I get it, he's making good reads and getting the ball to his playmakers. That's all you can do as a QB. But he hasn't done anything to make me think he could play with our roster and be successful. Every one of his completions have been routine throws. One thing I'll give him credit for is no interceptions. I expected some turnovers.

Watson outscored Tyrod Taylor last year in 7 games.

27 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

It does help to have an offensive line, pro bowl tight end and receivers that get separation. Mahomes would have been ruined in Buffalo.

Buffalo has the worst group of wideouts I've seen. None of them can get off press coverage and I see almost no speed or separation

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Do you have a link to your 2017 evaluations?  I'd love to reread them.

Watson outscored Tyrod Taylor last year in 7 games.

I can never find them on my phone. If you search my name in that February - April 2017 period they are on here. Otherwise I will try and dig out when on the laptop. 

Watson had a rough first half today. He played well after half time. He is still a stud. He had one slightly below par day. 

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Truly mind boggling. 

The bigger difference between the two is that Mahomes plays for a competent head coach and organization. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can never find them on my phone. If you search my name in that February - April 2017 period they are on here. Otherwise I will try and dig out when on the laptop. 

Watson had a rough first half today. He played well after half time. He is still a stud. He had one slightly below par day. 

Found it.  Thanks man.

33 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

If we take Mahomes, we don't get Edmunds or White, and then our starting corner is Vontae Davis. We have no DROY and don't make the playoffs. 

Did you actually convince yourself we had the DROY?

Seriously?

We didn't have the DROY.