Gailey versus Daboll

36 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

It’s as bad as you get for a NFL starting QB

Not really... It gets worse than his. Pretty easily. I think that Bis fans confuse weak arm with telegraphing his throws. He telegraph's those out routes and corners just jump the route. You can have the arm of Josh Allen out there but if a DB knows that route is coming and doesn't respect the deep route then it will be picked easily no matter how strong the QBs arm is 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ditzy Fitzy has proven he can play in this league and has a significantly stronger arm than Nate. Not a strong one mind you, but he can get the ball down the field if he winds up. He's proven that. 

no he cannot. Fitz magic has zero accuracy over 20 yards much less velocity to make use of.

That's why Chan brought his horizontal pass attack to some success for The Bearded One.

and they should have not f'd that up. Thanks again Nix..

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

As others have said, I'm sure they'll go with a lot of short drops and quick throws, especially the types of throws where the receivers have room to run after the catch. McDermott mentioned the importance of that last week. Also rolled that into a compliment for Nate about his ball placement. He typically does lead his receivers and puts it in a spot that will allow them to catch it in stride and keep trucking. I hate to bring up the horror that was last seasons Chargers game but before the debacle, Nate made a great throw to Benjamin over the middle and he picked up 20 yards but got injured on the tackle. It was the first time since Taylor had been the starter that I'd seen a pass on time like that. Timing, rhythm, Peterman's not bad at those type of throws. The plays better go as scripted though, as he is pretty ineffective when the play breaks down. But yeah, I'd expect them to play a style of offense that negates the pass rush. 

yep.

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

no he cannot. Fitz magic has zero accuracy over 20 yards much less velocity to make use of.

That's why Chan brought his horizontal pass attack to some success for The Bearded One.

and they should have not f'd that up. Thanks again Nix..

One quarter of the NFL has signed Fitz to a contract and started him in games. It’s unarguable he can play quarterback in the NFL. 

Posted this in the O'Leary thread but it's probably more pertinent here:

I see a lot of two TE sets as a staple of our offense. Both Clay and Croom can flex and I envision Daboll utilizing them much like NE*** prefers when they have two athletic talents at the position. If we can hurt teams with these mismatches, DCs will be forced to use sub packages to counter and that's when I see Daboll going to more up tempo play calling if he likes what he sees. For instance, if DCs sub in more favorable coverage packages with smaller guys who can cover, I see Daboll bringing the TEs back inside and running the ball relentlessly until DCs sub bigger packages to counter and Daboll then flexing them wide again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One quarter of the NFL has signed Fitz to a contract and started him in games. It’s unarguable he can play quarterback in the NFL. 

No question about that KTD !
 I love me some Fitzy and wish we kept he and Gailey and just fixed the Defense.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Posted this in the O'Leary thread but it's probably more pertinent here:

I see a lot of two TE sets as a staple of our offense. Both Clay and Croom can flex and I envision Daboll utilizing them much like NE*** prefers when they have two athletic talents at the position. If we can hurt teams with these mismatches, DCs will be forced to use sub packages to counter and that's when I see Daboll going to more up tempo play calling if he likes what he sees. For instance, if DCs sub in more favorable coverage packages with smaller guys who can cover, I see Daboll bringing the TEs back inside and running the ball relentlessly until DCs sub bigger packages to counter and Daboll then flexing them wide again. 

and Dimarco increases his rep % this year. More 3 tackle sets if need be.

Good post and good insight K-9.

There was a reason Bills move on from My Boy Nick O'

For the real season we will use a totally different blocking scheme than what you saw in preseason, using angles and zones to seal off lanes.  That should help the run game.  Pass blocking may be a challenge though.  

I think we we might see no fullback and two TEs quite a bit. We may have better talent and better blocking with two TEs than with three WRs.  

Either way, with the lack of experience at QB, and the lack of talent on OL and WR it will require great coaching from Daboll to be competitive.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

The difference between Peterman and Allen is Peterman was dropping back farther to alllow the RB and WR come out of their breaks.   Dabol likes throwing downfield so not sure if we will see three step drops and quick releases.  Not saying that is a bad strategy, but saying I don’t see it happening.  I could always be wrong as several of you like to remind me.  Just kidding.

Can’t  wait for Sunday.  I’ll probably watch the first half of the Eagles game as I just can’t stay up til Midnight, then get up at 5 am for the gym and work.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

We were scoring more points with Lynn and Roman just over a season ago.  All either Gailey, Roman, or Lynn's teams needed was a defense that could hold teams below 22 ppg.  The one thing also to remember is how many games Fitz killed us with a pick in the 4th qtr.  As much as everyone lauds the passing game I'd love nothing more than to see Daboll come out and run it down peoples throats like were doing just a couple years ago.

Careful this board does not like people to point out the top 10 scoring offense that TT, Shady, and an oft injured Watkins managed.  Their is a large contingent that think passing yards is more important than turnovers. Rex destroyed a top 5 defense but built a top 10 offense.  

I don't entirely dismiss the notion of passing yards.  I can not defend TT and the offenses of the past with respect to the ability to come from behind or generate points in a hurry.  The offense also had too many 3 and outs.  But an INT a game or worse is much more difficult to overcome than a number of three and outs.

But hey, let's hope I'm wrong and Peterman takes care of the ball and makes quick decisions.  I can't see Allen thriving behind this o-line.

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Not really... It gets worse than his. Pretty easily. I think that Bis fans confuse weak arm with telegraphing his throws. He telegraph's those out routes and corners just jump the route. You can have the arm of Josh Allen out there but if a DB knows that route is coming and doesn't respect the deep route then it will be picked easily no matter how strong the QBs arm is 

We’ll agree to disagree I guess. I don’t think it gets any worse than peterman personally.

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

For the real season we will use a totally different blocking scheme than what you saw in preseason, using angles and zones to seal off lanes.  That should help the run game.  Pass blocking may be a challenge though.  

I think we we might see no fullback and two TEs quite a bit. We may have better talent and better blocking with two TEs than with three WRs.  

Either way, with the lack of experience at QB, and the lack of talent on OL and WR it will require great coaching from Daboll to be competitive.  

I think you need the fullback to help the interior of the line. Sure TEs can shift but they have less momentum hitting the gap and getting second level. TEs might seal and turn a block or chip

( why was O 'Leary let go again : )

and  a FB is certainly better positioned for effective passpro

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think McCoy, Benjamin, and Clay are better than anything Gailey ever had.

Peterman seems very similar to Fitz.

Sans the Lumberjack beard! 

Fitz is more wreckless I think, while Nate doesn’t look off well enough, while maybe even having a little less arm? 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Fitz is more wreckless I think, while Nate doesn’t look off well enough, while maybe even having a little less arm? 

Chandler and Stevie were a perfect fit for FitzMagic.

Fitz was careless or reckless when the game was on. He had some doozy mistakes. but mostly deep and wobbly throws if i recall correct.

Nate is for sure a work in progress, and under a very new program.

this might hurt a little.

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Who scares you outside of McCoy on this offense that needs to be game-planned for consistently?

No one. Which is fine if you can create mismatches and exploit them each week. The offense can not be predictable and needs to be balanced. We have guys who can get the job done as long as the OL holds up. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Fitzpatrick had a worse arm but he literally puts all his might into his throws so it probably looked stronger. Peterman uses a lot less effort than Fitz ever did.

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My fear is that this is a 14 point per game offensive roster.  The OL worries me greatly and we don't really know yet what to expect from the QB position. 

On the other hand, one of my hopes is that some of the offensive players prove to be better than I think they are.

My other big hope is that Daboll - like Gailey - can manufacture production despite not fielding a lot of superstars with a lot of quick-hitting timing throws and good run game concepts.  

14 is better than 3 point per game (three times - 4 actually if you discount Nates garbage time TD v the Saints) 

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Peterman really does have A lot to prove before he is even Fitz. A QB with 27000 passing yards and 170 TDs

I had to look up those stats to confirm!!! I could not believe that Fitz had that many yards/TDs.  He really has proven himself to be a legit QB...Not elite by any stretch, but definitely legit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Um....er.... I have some news for you. You may want to sit down for this. 

Was totally not serious about O Leary! This post caught me just as I was having my morning coffee!

My better half says I shouldn’t  converse with anyone in any manner before then!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think you need the fullback to help the interior of the line. Sure TEs can shift but they have less momentum hitting the gap and getting second level. TEs might seal and turn a block or chip

( why was O 'Leary let go again : )

and  a FB is certainly better positioned for effective passpro

True, but then we are down to 2 WRs and a TE in the pass pattern with Shady for the check down safety valve. 

either way we are very short on weapons after Shady and Benjamin. 

1 hour ago, Bring it said:

Was totally not serious about O Leary! This post caught me just as I was having my morning coffee!

My better half says I shouldn’t  converse with anyone in any manner before then!

Thougyt it was possible- figured I’d go along with the joke just in case more humor at the legend of O’Learys expense was available 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is INSANELY disrespectful to Ryan Fitzpatrick. Nathan Peterman literally does not deserve to be in the same conversation as Fitz at this stage based on what he has put on tape.

You're way too dramatic.

Peterman's thrown footballs and ran around a football field. 

They're literally in the same conversation whether you like it or not.

Have a cup of tea and relax.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

You're way too dramatic.

Peterman's thrown footballs and ran around a football field. 

They're literally in the same conversation whether you like it or not.

Have a cup of tea and relax.

So all players who play the same position are comparable? 

Khalil Mack and Aaron Maybin are in the same conversation?

With a good running threat in McCoy, multiple formations with Clay, croom, Dimarco, the offense should be much improved.  I like the idea of fB 2 te 3 te sets with the ability to split or run heavy. LB on Croom Clay and Thomas is a miss match.  I think Benjamin also will be moved around alot in the passing attack similar to Gronk in NE.

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Nothing illogical was said. It sounds like you just disagree.

Very political.

So you actually think that there are valid discussions to be had comparing the merits of Khalil Mack to Aaron Maybin, who does what better or worse at various elements of the position, because this is a valid comparison that deserves the time, energy and thought that needs to go into such a discussion?