Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't get this regime's attachment to Holmes. He is old and mediocre at best. I'd rather that spot go to a potential playmaker.

He is the leader in the receiver room both Zay and McDermott have talked about that and he played on all their coverage units last year. All while leading the team in redzone TDs. He has a very specific role but he fulfils that role well. This regime more than the last seems to take the Kirby view on WRs who are not your starters. Get guys with very specific specialty fits who you can have packages for rather than who is next best all round receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For the all the Hate this group receives, some team is gonna be happy to snatch up 1or 2 of our cuts. I hope we can sign a couple guys back to the PS, but every other team gets 1st dibs.

We have plenty of 4-7 guys, but not enough 1-3

• Like (+1) 1

I would say Foster, Dupre, Phillips have little chance of making the team.  In the numbers game,  Reilly and K. Clay haven't shown enough and are probably out also.   That leaves Coleman, McCloud and Prohl for the last spot and I'd definitely lean towards Coleman. Then try and sign the other two for the practice squad.

And I agree with others that odds are there will be an injury to one of these receivers on Sunday.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

I'm really curious who are the WRs out when JA is playing Sunday.

As of now I see it this way.

If 6 WRs make the roster then:

KB-Lock

Jones-Lock

Coleman-Lock ( I expect 2 long balls to him on Sundays game.  Coleman would have to do something really crazy not to be a lock.

No way Beane gives up a pick and takes on 3.5 million in Dead money otherwise.

Holmes/Kerley/Streater - 2 make it out of the 3.

1 slot for Reilly/McCloud

PS-  Loser of Reilly/McCloud and Dupree

• Like (+1) 1

If they keep 7:

Benjamin

Jones

Coleman

Kerley

Streater

McCloud

Holmes

If they only keep 6, Holmes would be the odd man out for me (despite his special teams play)

And then you hope to get Reilly back on the practice squad to call up in case of injury.

With a QB who can get the ball to them, that could turn into a pretty nice receiving corps.

Edited by folz

WR Order week 1 will be IMO:

KB

Streater

Holmes

Zay

Coleman

Ray Ray

Kerley/Foster

I fully expect early in the season that both Zay and Coleman will have shots to move up the depth chart, but due to both not being here for OTA's and most of camp, that Streater and Holmes could be listed ahead of them week 1.  

I expect that Holmes will be the guy who drops, but I think Streater is going to be hard to knock down, he's been very good again and I think he right now has earned starting spot IMO until someone like Zay or Coleman put more work in and earn the right to challenge for that spot.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Agree with the OP on the top 5.  Good point about Streater and special teams, but we have no one other than KB that has performed like his best regular season year (60 catches and nearly 900 yards).  I think he makes it.

I like Brandon Reilly best of the remaining.  He has decent size, 4.4 speed, finds the openings in the defense and is a great process guy.  If they want 7 I hope they take Ray Ray or Kaelin Clay (both can take the top off), and cut Coleman.  And I think they will indeed cut Coleman unless he shows out against Cinci.  

Reilly couldn't play against Brownies because of his ribs, but he has shown a great deal vs. Carolina, all last year in practice and in last year's preseason.

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

All true, and although I wish they would move on from Holmes in favor of one of the other younger guys, I do not see that happening.  

why are yall so down on Holmes? He made some really nice plays last year and has played well in PS.

i think he makes the team and produces.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

That...and the fact he’s a 2nd round pick.  He wasn’t a Beane pick but was a McDermott guy.  Cutting a 2nd round pick in year 2 looks very bad

Keeping a guy that can't catch the football looks worse.

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WR Order week 1 will be IMO:

KB

Streater

Holmes

Zay

Coleman

Ray Ray

Kerley/Foster

I fully expect early in the season that both Zay and Coleman will have shots to move up the depth chart, but due to both not being here for OTA's and most of camp, that Streater and Holmes could be listed ahead of them week 1.  

I expect that Holmes will be the guy who drops, but I think Streater is going to be hard to knock down, he's been very good again and I think he right now has earned starting spot IMO until someone like Zay or Coleman put more work in and earn the right to challenge for that spot.

1-6 i agree with with the limited amount i jabe seen but i do not see any version of this where foster makes team- he might be PS but i would be shocked if he makes 53

I disagree with your top 5, but for the sake of argument, RayRay is #6, clearly.  I'm not a big fan of ClayClay, but he's in there as well because of ST and PR.  I still think Zay Jones is in trouble, and not the lock everyone thinks he is.  Much as I'm a Life of Reilly guy, I see PS for him and Proehl.  The rest?  Hasta la vista, baby.