So who is your surprise cut(s)

GreggTX

15 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

In the embedded episode Vontae was getting crap for hardly being able to walk after practice. He looked old and slow on the field as well. I was not a fan of this signing and maintain EJ Gaines will be back on this team next year.  

As far as surprise cuts, Coleman.  This regime seems to love 30 year old recievers with little to no NFL production. 

“Getting crap” meaning Tre having a playful dig at him??

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

We call that having a bet each way in Australia..

I don't think there is going to be a big surprise. I think O'Leary might get cut but that is kind of expected. I think Zay and Coleman make it. Vontae is simply lucky that we have no depth at corner because if we did I think he'd be cut. But we don't so he probably survives.  

V Davis - he is over-the-hill, happens to all of us Vontae ... "Gotta know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, know when to run."

C Coleman - did he catch a pass in any game?

C Schmidt - he has not looked good in pre-season, the new guy is an equal mediocre, but cheaper, version of the same thing

4 hours ago, Reader said:

Would Washington be a surprise?

I think he was on the bubble but was massively dominant last night, the way an NFL player should look playing against next week’s cashiers—the opposite of AJ’s performance. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

17 minutes ago, CSBill said:

C Schmidt - he has not looked good in pre-season, the new guy is an equal mediocre, but cheaper, version of the same thing

Schmidt had a great punt early last night. Ryan has no leg left. If they go with Ryan it is a mistake. 

I'd be very surprised if they cut Coleman.   I think he and Zay played a lot last night because they haven't had enough reps to get ready to play during the season.

I also think if it comes down to either him or McCloud for the final wideout spot you keep the 4.3, 1st round talent guy, over the 4.53 6th round talent guy.  

My surprise cuts would be McCarron and Bodine.

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

Kerley is very steady

Steady sounds right. He was my early pick for surprise cut, but he's probably safe in a numbers game.

McD's reaction to Coleman's Hard Knocks seemed a bit telling and he didn't do much to overcome it (and didn't cost them much), so I suspect he's a goner. 

2 minutes ago, MarkAF43 said:

I'll admit I don't follow the preseason as much as others. But a lot of people keep throwing Zay Jones out there. Would that really make him a surprise or is everyone expecting it happen? If so, why? 

Zay didn't particularly do anything wrong this pre-season, and still has too much promise (seriously, guys, it's his second season). However, it was a bit telling that he was out there yesterday -- but he did make his one catch.

I get it, we are throwing darts in the dark here. Well, maybe just poor lighting. But I think the majority to the names tossed around in this thread are set to make the big cutdown. Of course, it is quite likely one, two or maybe three get cut to make room for a specific FA signing after the other teams make their cuts. I'd say the top candidate for that is Newhouse.

But Ivory, AJ, Vonte, Kerley, DiMarco and Zay will not be unemployed Sept. 9.

Edited by scribo
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Steady sounds right. He was my early pick for surprise cut, but he's probably safe in a numbers game.

McD's reaction to Coleman's Hard Knocks seemed a bit telling and he didn't do much to overcome it (and didn't cost them much), so I suspect he's a goner. 

Agreed.  He doesn't appear like he's picking up the offence and is playing slow

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Judging by tonight's play,who are your surprise cuts? I think Coleman is a goner.

Huh

McCarron - he really hasn’t looked good at all. 

5 minutes ago, Zardoz said:

Logan Thomas.

I hope not, he looks close to breaking out, but it's hard to cut the other guys to

1 minute ago, scribo said:

So you think they'd just cut him, throwing away $7 million for the sake of one roster spot?

Yeah don't see it happening either, but I do think he is a trade candidate maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I think Groy and/or Bodine are dangerously close to getting cut.  The offensive line partly sucks because the calls are more wrong than right and that's on the guy who plays center.  (The other part is that Castillo has no business coaching it.)  80% of the OL problems is that they are often in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Get a more experienced (or smarter) center and your offensive line play improves.  

30 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Zay didn't particularly do anything wrong this pre-season, and still has too much promise (seriously, guys, it's his second season). However, it was a bit telling that he was out there yesterday -- but he did make his one catch.

I wonder if he was out there just because he missed so much time during training camp that they just wanted to give him the opportunity to run basic routes against competition.  He really hasn't done much in preseason games though.  I just hope he starts showing up once the new offense is in place.  

My surprise cut might be Coleman.  Doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't grasp the offense.  That being said, none of the WRs have done much to warrant being considered on any other team in the NFL other than the Bills.

7 hours ago, SJDK said:

-Vontae Davis was washed up a couple seasons ago and he should be cut.

-our defensive ends can’t contain so I would not be surprised to see any of them go, I think it will be Lawson or Murphy 

- Cadet, who I like

-schmittykicker

-Zay Jones

They aren't going to cut Murphy after signing his this past year.  It would be an $8 million dead cap.

20 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Adolphus Washington

That's mine as well.  

41 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I think he was out there because he missed the first 2 or so weeks of camp and didn't get much on field action in the preseason games.  Just my opinion.  

Were de Beer and Porter (both OL) injured because they didn't play last night.  I figure everyone who sat out last night was a lock except for potentially these 2 guys.  Unless they impressed enough.  And it would also mean they're keeping 4 RBs and DiMarco.

55 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

He may not have done anything wrong, but that might also be because he hasnt really done anything at all. After his offseason 'incident' I wouldn't be surprised to see the team part ways with him. I just dont think it involves him getting cut. More likely Beane trades him for someone else's 'player who needs a change of scenery'. Its more likely Coleman gets cut and they eat the wasted pick they spent on him as he hasnt really done anything either, unless they see him as not showing much because he was still trying to learn the offence after being traded for late this offseason.

1 hour ago, scribo said:

So you think they'd just cut him, throwing away $7 million for the sake of one roster spot?

I think they will try and trade him and if no takers then yes. Yes I do. Hence a surprise cut. 

I don't think there will be any surprises - Players played themselves into the position they are in this offseason.

When you look at the roster, I think there are no real surprises of players on the bubble.  I will say I'm "disappointed" in some players who I thought would be better this season.

McCarron - only because he was really signed to keep the seat warm and then was promptly outplayed. 

Vontae Davis - by his play would be not surprising but by his name and what was supposed to be when signed extremely surprising 

• 2 weeks later...