What if Allen isn't good tommorow?

Steptide

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Image result for drinking gif

He's only "starting" tonight as part of the regular QB rotation. 

The head coach himself said that he still considers all three QBs to be on equal footing and the competition is still ongoing.

The fans may have written off AJ McCarron, but I don't believe the coaching staff has done the same.

I'm not so sure of that. Third preseason game is generally the final warmup for the regular season with starters getting much more playing time. It's significant that he is starting this game.

I'm more concerned that Dawkins doesn't play & Josh gets creamed. If he doesn't play well, no big deal, apparently he's responding really well to coaching & improving every week, so it will just be back to the drawing board to work out the kinks.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Playing behind a suspect ( “ crappy”) O line is an adverse situation for a young QB. But can it make a QB play scared and shell shocked? I say no. It recalls that old Marv-ism about adversity not building character, but rather revealing it. Allen doesn’t strike me as a player that’s shook or plays with fear. The fact is we don’t know. We have these expectations of players, but really don’t know what’s inside that makes them tick. I’d suggest that if a potentially good player becomes “ ruined” because they had to play in less than perfect scenarios, they didn’t really have it from the start. It just took some adversity before the truth was revealed. 

Oh boy, how soon we forget about JP Losman, Trent Edwards, EJ and the last 20 or so QB's since the Jim Kelly days. JP was shell-shocked at the end and seeing phantom sackers. Edwards was concussed into oblivion. EJ was never given the chance to fully develop for several reasons and so on and so on down through the years.

If you were to look back at the history of this franchise they built a quality offensive line three times in that 50+ year history and in those three times one was the AFL championship teams, one was during Chuck Knox's time and the last was the super bowl era.   

Knox came to Buffalo and he inherited a decent line from the Electric Co/OJ days and in 1980 going into his third year in Buffalo he drafted an OG by the name of Jim Richter in the first round who ended up playing in the NFL 15 years. He was a stalwart LG all through those super bowl years too. Bill Polian drafted a pro bowl LT by the name of Will Wolford and brought in a center by the name of Kent Hull who went on to become an all-pro.   

Jack Kemp had some great lines, Joe Ferguson had some decent lines and Kelly had some really good lines.   

If you want this young man to develop properly you can't send him to the wolves and hope he survives it like Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman did. Because so, so many other bright young QB's didn't survive throughout the years.    

Beane and McD look to be smart enough to know that since they made the playoffs last season there really isn't great pressure to win games this season. Do they want to, sure! Do they want to ruin* the future franchise QB, no!  

Lastly, looking at the limited amount of time AJ McCarron had in the pocket against the Browns starting defense and how little yards McCoy gained against them I'm thinking that Buffalo Bills starting line is worse than godawful. Allen played against the Browns second string. I'm also thinking that the Bengals defense is better than the Browns defense. 

Edited by Nihilarian

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Oh boy, how soon we forget about JP Losman, Trent Edwards, EJ and the last 20 or so QB's since the Jim Kelly days. JP was shell-shocked at the end and seeing phantom sackers. Edwards was concussed into oblivion. EJ was never given the chance to fully develop for several reasons and so on and so on down through the years.

If you were to look back at the history of this franchise they built a quality offensive line three times in that 50+ year history and in those three times one was the AFL championship teams, one was during Chuck Knox's time and the last was the super bowl era.   

Knox came to Buffalo and he inherited a decent line from the Electric Co/OJ days and in 1980 going into his third year in Buffalo he drafted an OG by the name of Jim Richter in the first round who ended up playing in the NFL 15 years. He was a stalwart LG all through those super bowl years too. Bill Polian drafted a pro bowl LT by the name of Will Wolford and brought in a center by the name of Kent Hull who went on to become an all-pro.   

Jack Kemp had some great lines, Joe Ferguson had some decent lines and Kelly had some really good lines.   

If you want this young man to develop properly you can't send him to the wolves and hope he survives it like Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman did. Because so, so many other bright young QB's didn't survive throughout the years.    

Beane and McD look to be smart enough to know that since they made the playoffs last season there really isn't great pressure to win games this season. Do they want to, sure! Do they want to ruin* the future franchise QB, no!  

Lastly, looking at the limited amount of time AJ McCarron had in the pocket against the Browns starting defense and how little yards McCoy gained against them I'm thinking that Buffalo Bills starting line is worse than godawful. Allen played against the Browns second string. I'm also thinking that the Bengals defense is better than the Browns defense. 

You're right. Better trade Allen for his own safety.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Domdab99 said:

You're right. Better trade Allen for his own safety.

Who said anything about trading him? :wacko:

I was saying keep the rookie on the bench for at least the first four regular-season games considering how formidable those defenses are. You know, so he survives to actually become a franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

I was saying keep the rookie on the bench for at least the first four regular-season games considering how formidable those defenses are. You know, so he survives to actually become a franchise QB. 

Because the defense he'll play after the first four weeks are going to be cream puffs, right?  It's just a silly argument.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Because the defense he'll play after the first four weeks are going to be cream puffs, right?  It's just a silly argument.

It's not silly to me when I can remember Ryan Fitzpatrick literally running for his life for most of the first half of the 2010 season. You know, the season Buddy Nix stated that "you're going to think I'm crazy. But we're not that far away." Then the team started 0-8 and finished 4-12. 

To me, that 2010 offensive line looks better than this slew of scrubs. 

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

What if Josh and Nasty Nate BOTH have had games?

Honestly, for people that are all in on starting Allen, this is the best case scenario. If Allen is bad and Peterman comes in and tears it up, you can 99.9% count on Peterman starting the season. If they both suck tomorrow, Allen still may have a good shot 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, for people that are all in on starting Allen, this is the best case scenario. If Allen is bad and Peterman comes in and tears it up, you can 99.9% count on Peterman starting the season. If they both suck tomorrow, Allen still may have a good shot 

don't forget about AJ.

Just now, Steptide said:

No it isn't. The best case scenario is for him to show well against the Bengals' 1st team defense. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No it isn't. The best case scenario is for him to show well against the Bengals' 1st team defense. 

Right, but if Allen is bad, Peterman also playing bad may help Allen's cause. Best case for Allen is for him to light it up tommorow and Peterman to be mediocre or worse. The Allen people ultimately should just root for Peterman to be bad no matter what 

Edited by Steptide

So what? Then he lets Peterman start for a few games until Allen is comfortable enough to take over. Or he realizes that a QB is not going to be good every game they play

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

No need for such a negative Nancy thread. HE WILL DO WELL OVERALL. And if he makes a mistake, he will learn from that. Remember he has barely had a week of first team reps.

Since you can apparently see the future, please private message me next week's winning lotto numbers.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm as excited as the next guy for Allen to win the starting job. I'm also a Peterman advocate, and am 100% comfortable with him starting if need be. 

If Allen fails tomorrow though, are we back at square one with McCarron, Peterman and Allen? I'd like to think no, but listening to media this week, there seems to be this narrative that it's Allen's job to lose and I'm not so sure. 

I spelled tomorrow wrong. Oops 

This negates any opinion you might have. You must resubmit your opinions with correctted speelings before consderration. we have standards here.

I am not sure the Bills have not made up their mind already.
AJM is down and out these days.

Peterman will be the one to watch closely with the 3s and 4s.
if he can hold steady ? he stays in the race if he stays cool and efficient

Allen thing is getting a bit wild. with fandom at least : )

Love IT

Go Bills !

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Since you can apparently see the future, please private message me next week's winning lotto numbers.

Thanks.

I can see 3 threes.you must fill in the rest. 

we sort do not give these things away charitably.

I might expect Allen comes out looking reasonable. he needs to manage the game. not win it. 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I’d argue that the QB’ s you mentioned ( Bills fans likely haven’t forgotten) weren’t that good to begin with. While they had some physical abilities , we know it’s the difficult to measure mental acumen that was lacking. As well as the intestinal fortitude. Sure, some may have experienced measured success in a perfect scenario behind a fortress OL. We also know a different QB can look just fine behind a mediocre line. Flutie / Johnson comes to mind. If Allen is ready to handle things in the eyes of the coaches, sitting him makes little sense. While I’d generally agree with Jordan Palmer’s take that all rookie QBs would benefit by sitting a year, it may not be practical. On the other side of that contention, I’d argue that a QB is either going to be great or he’s not. Starting him in an adverse situation won’t bury him. Waiting for a perfect scenario won’t save him either. If the Bills truly have a better option, then they should start that option. If Allen plays well, it doesn’t appear that they have one. 

10 minutes ago, TPS said:

The real question is “how will tbd react when Allen lays that first egg”?  As all QBs do...

It depends on the timing. What if his first “ egg” comes in his fourth start? What if it comes tomorrow? Regardless, the tbd reaction won’t mean a thing as far as if Allen will be any good or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Personally, I'll remind myself that he's a rookie and also remind myself that most of the greatest QBs of all time had horrible rookie seasons.

Then I'll remind myself that Allen is better than Peterman and McCarron and that I want the best QB on the roster to start in Week 1.

EDIT:  I almost forgot ... Before anything else, I'm kicking my dog.

(putting SPCA near Gug on Speed Dial just in case)

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Still not what I'd call a best case scenario heading into the season. 

True. But I'm not expecting another 9-7 season. I hope for 9 or 10 wins, but Imo this year is all about Allen becoming the franchise guy, which could equal 5 or 6 wins 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Right, but if Allen is bad, Peterman also playing bad may help Allen's cause. Best case for Allen is for him to light it up tommorow and Peterman to be mediocre or worse. The Allen people ultimately should just root for Peterman to be bad no matter what 

probably helps AJ's case the most.

Has anyone hear d? Is he playing tomorrow?

38 minutes ago, vorpma said:

If Josh is bad cut him then fire the coaching staff and front office; I say that tongue in cheek but watch this board on Monday!

You're way ahead of things there mister! 

If he starts in Baltimore and looks bad, this board will want his head on a platter...by game 4.

:lol:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

(putting SPCA near Gug on Speed Dial just in case)

narc

and how do you know " dog " is not allegorical . #itsGugny for gosh sakes !

42 minutes ago, JPP said:

Than just get rid of him and dont look back....and do whatever it takes to get Tyrod back....there problem solved........lol....i jest....

but he has a dislocated pinky.

maybe comes cheap ?

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does the Process make allowances for BBFS?

I do not think anyone here has access to the sacred documents that detail

The Process.
 Good question though.

Everything surrounding Allen has to be put in perspective.   Plenty of rookies have solid first years then defenses learn and sometimes they struggle year two.  I don't think we should worry pre season game to pre season game,  etc.

He's got a chance to make it.  My number one fear is major injury.  I hope his first couple years he can avoid a major one. If he has a little time to develop and stays injury-free I really believe this kid as the makeup.