Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How come the best the Browns could do was a 7th for him?

Supply and demand, SD.  There was no market for him for various reasons.  If you don't have a pressing need then why give up a pick and let one of your guys go?

The Bills...had a very pressing need, and as Sal said, a 7th rounder two years from now is probably the lowest draft pick you could ever give up.

If they don't take that from the Bills then they are just cutting him.  They are top heavy at WR and want to get a better look at their guys that they think can help them.  Additionally, they didn't draft him so they are not really married to him.  Further, his remaining money may be part of a guaranty, so having someone else pick it up for free is a bonus.

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Same reason Buffalo got a 4th for Ragland, a 6th for Daures.  New regime getting rid of top picks from the previous regime that so far haven't materialized.  Never a bad idea taking flyers on first rounders still on their rookie deal.  Injuries and poor qb play.  At worst he is what Goodwin was, at best he could be Brandin Cooks.  When Allen eventually takes over they now have a guy who can run under Allen's moonshots.

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The market place spoke. When a team that is scanning the market to bring in receivers is willing to let a former first round prospect go what does that tell you how they value the traded receiver? The Browns are reportedly interested in bringing in Dez Bryant who is a volatile personality and clearly is in the downside of his combustible.career. What is telling to me is that the Browns want him off the team so early in the training camp process. They are not even willing him to give him an opportunity to demonstrate on the field that he can earn a roster spot. Every team in the league had an opportunity to deal for him. No one was interested except for Buffalo who got him for the equivalent of a bag of half eaten stale donuts. 

This is a good deal for Buffalo because they got him for virtually nothing. But let's not get carried away and exaggerate the value of this deal. The Bills had an extra chip and they placed it on a long shot player.  It's well worth the gamble. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Bring it Corey .... welcome aboard .... prove away all season long!!  Couple of other Great Tweets on what he brings with a real QB .. not sure we our QBs are ready just yet .. but if they can play up to McCown level

(Tweet from Pat Thorman)

Corey Coleman QBs:

Kizer: 8.5 games
RGIII: 5 games
McCown: 2 games
Kessler: 1 game
McCown/Kessler: 2 games

(2 full games w/ McCown: 13 tgt, 8 rec, 142 yds, 3 TD)

A couple fluke injuries and a QB clowncar in a 1-31 circus. Now he’s a “bust” and sold for peanuts. Brilliant.

So what does "semi-passes" mean in this Beane quote (paywall)?  "We'll tell him how we do things here, what the expectations are. Sean (McDermott) and I will sit down with him once he semi-passes the physical and we'll lay out our standard."

Is Coleman currently injured such that the physical has to take a known injury into account?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what does "semi-passes" mean in this Beane quote (paywall)?  "We'll tell him how we do things here, what the expectations are. Sean (McDermott) and I will sit down with him once he semi-passes the physical and we'll lay out our standard."

Is Coleman currently injured such that the physical has to take a known injury into account?

He's good to go.

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The market place spoke. When a team that is scanning the market to bring in receivers is willing to let a former first round prospect go what does that tell you how they value the traded receiver? The Browns are reportedly interested in bringing in Dez Bryant who is a volatile personality and clearly is in the downside of his combustible.career. What is telling to me is that the Browns want him off the team so early in the training camp process. They are not even willing him to give him an opportunity to demonstrate on the field that he can earn a roster spot. Every team in the league had an opportunity to deal for him. No one was interested except for Buffalo who got him for the equivalent of a bag of half eaten stale donuts. 

This is a good deal for Buffalo because they got him for virtually nothing. But let's not get carried away and exaggerate the value of this deal. The Bills had an extra chip and they placed it on a long shot player.  It's well worth the gamble. 

It's a low risk move and definitely worth the gamble. He's clearly not highly valued though as he only commanded a 7th rounder in return. 

NFL training camp winners and losers: Young receivers flashing

By Gregg Rosenthal - Around The NFL Editor

Sunday night's trade of 2016 first-round pick Corey Coleman from the Browns to the Bills was a reminder that the trade tsunami that enveloped the league this spring could still have life left to it.

These are the dog days of training camp, when teams like Cleveland and Buffalo start to recognize that some offseason narratives were just for show. The Bills entered camp knowing they needed more receiving options. Coleman instantly becomes a favorite to start over Zay Jones, who just returned from injury. The Browns appeared to have a for-sale sign on Coleman all offseason, despite coach Hue Jackson saying that Coleman would start if Josh Gordon were out. They essentially dumped Coleman for a late-round pick because it was too embarrassing to cut the first pick of the Jackson era.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Supply and demand, SD.  There was no market for him for various reasons.  If you don't have a pressing need then why give up a pick and let one of your guys go?

The Bills...had a very pressing need, and as Sal said, a 7th rounder two years from now is probably the lowest draft pick you could ever give up.

If they don't take that from the Bills then they are just cutting him.  They are top heavy at WR and want to get a better look at their guys that they think can help them.  Additionally, they didn't draft him so they are not really married to him.  Further, his remaining money may be part of a guaranty, so having someone else pick it up for free is a bonus.

To me it looked like a cash savings.  Already paid out the bonus, and they have a ton of cap space (and will carry over a ton into next year thus nullifying the dead cap hit). 

If you believe that janis/higgins/callaway has 0 drop off in production, you as an owner just saved 3.5 million dollars and got something (barely something) in return instead of cutting him. 

Adding Landry, and then getting Gordon back means that you're basically looking at your number 3 WR, and probably the guy who will get the 5th most targets in the offense after landry, gordon, johnson, Njoku.  There's only so many targets to go around, and you added receivers in FA and the draft that you probably brought in for a reason. 

Landry is a top slot receiver in the NFL.  

Johnson is a top receiving back in the NFL.  

Njoku is a 1st round pick TE.

Gordon is a former All-pro.

Callaway is a player with 1st round talent (and off field issues), who is cost-controlled and selected by Dorsey.  

Throw in Janis (who was brought in by dorsey - and has ST value), and Higgins (23 years old, also has teams value)

There really aren't enough snaps to get all these guys the ball.  He was probably on the roster bubble and Beane made a call to see if they wanted something before they cut him.

• Like (+1) 1

What Corey Coleman said about joining the Buffalo Bills

Pittsford, N.Y. -- New Buffalo Bills wide receiver Corey Coleman practiced with his new team Tuesday after getting traded to the Bills from the Cleveland Browns on Sunday night.

Coleman took reps with the third-team offense and rookie quarterback Josh Allen during a practice at St. John Fisher College that was turned down to half-speed for most of the session when a torrential downpour soaked the field.

The newest Bills receiver is expected to bring speed and playmaking to a team lacking at the position. Coleman said his speed can help right away while he learns the offense and starts to integrate himself with the offense.

Coleman spoke to the media briefly after practice, and here are nine things he said.

Sometimes you need a wakeup call.  I've read earlier in the thread some mention he might not have been that hard a worker.  You play football in college as a kid you get a plan in your head, an idea how it plays out.  Get taken first round and you're falling into the lap of luxury.  It's easy to fall into the trap of assuming everything is falling into place, everything is just going to work for you, and you don't really have to work hard for it.  Even when things start to slide it can be so subtle you don't see it, you keep telling yourself it will work out because you're a first round pick and that's how the narrative goes.

It normally takes a hard slap to open your eyes.  Getting cut, or traded for a 2020 7th rounder does just that.  Suddenly you're mortal.  You're the outsider on a new team who's only commitment to you was that pick.  They didn't draft you, they didn't spend a first rounder.  You're just a guy on a team.  That hits like a bucket of cold water.  All of a sudden you realise you are entitled to nothing, and maybe, just maybe, you're going to have to work and fight for what you want.

I hope that happens here.  When he says he has something to prove, I like it and I believe him.  But I also think that one of the people he needs to prove himself to...is himself.

Excited to see what happens, regardless.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Sometimes it's the subtle things.  Like the pauses.  He was being careful, choosing his words.  I like seeing that, a trait you want in a Process player.

This particular "process" player has been given the talk regarding expectations from Beane and McDermott.  He knows that he has to get his manure together to walk the straight and narrow or he'll be quickly reminded that NFL means Not For Long.

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Sometimes you need a wakeup call.  I've read earlier in the thread some mention he might not have been that hard a worker.  You play football in college as a kid you get a plan in your head, an idea how it plays out.  Get taken first round and you're falling into the lap of luxury.  It's easy to fall into the trap of assuming everything is falling into place, everything is just going to work for you, and you don't really have to work hard for it.  Even when things start to slide it can be so subtle you don't see it, you keep telling yourself it will work out because you're a first round pick and that's how the narrative goes.

It normally takes a hard slap to open your eyes.  Getting cut, or traded for a 2020 7th rounder does just that.  Suddenly you're mortal.  You're the outsider on a new team who's only commitment to you was that pick.  They didn't draft you, they didn't spend a first rounder.  You're just a guy on a team.  That hits like a bucket of cold water.  All of a sudden you realise you are entitled to nothing, and maybe, just maybe, you're going to have to work and fight for what you want.

I hope that happens here.  When he says he has something to prove, I like it and I believe him.  But I also think that one of the people he needs to prove himself to...is himself.

Well said , unfortunately in his case  

( hand ) injuries have been a Major part of him not living up to the expectation/and IMO is one of the reasons why he’s in Buffalo in the first place , 

I hope your right and that (in his case )  a fresh start / new team could be just what he needs to turn a new page ! 

I realy hope he uses this opportunity to do just that , 

It’s too bad that his 2018 and 2019 salaries are fully guaranteed. It would’ve been better if he had to work to get something.  Also, he broke his hand both times playing the Ravens. They should hold him out for the season opener. 

59 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Good stuff man.

It's not just the NFL.

You see it in a lot of jobs/professions.

I knew a PT assistant who worked for a friend of mine (my friend owns his own practice).

The assistant was a good guy, did one of his unpaid internships at my friend's place as a student, and was hired after he graduated.

He needed to work on his craft, to continue to learn, to work hard to be a great therapist.

He didn't.

He was lazy, coasted, just "got by".

My friend fired him eventually, but made sure to have a good, long exit interview, and explain to him why he was let go, and what he needs to work on.

He actually took it to heart.

2 years later he came back and asked for a job again.

My friend gave him the chance.

He's been his best employee now for 2 years running since, and is an excellent therapist.

Some people need the wake-up call.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

It’s too bad that his 2018 and 2019 salaries are fully guaranteed. It would’ve been better if he had to work to get something.  Also, he broke his hand both times playing the Ravens. They should hold him out for the season opener. 

I think he’s working toward a second contract. He’s not making that much right now. 

19 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Physical gifts alone won't make him into a good WR in the NFL.  He hasn't been dedicated to his craft beyond the injury factor that's held him back. 

Where guys in the WR corps were drafted means little at this juncture.  

Does winning the Biletnikoff award count for anything? 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This particular "process" player has been given the talk regarding expectations from Beane and McDermott.  He knows that he has to get his manure together to walk the straight and narrow or he'll be quickly reminded that NFL means Not For Long.

Pretty sure the bills org has sent their media team on this board. Selling us and coining the term, "process player", partially defined by.. thinking before you speak? Tell me more.. what is a process player? Cuz I'd rather have Julio Jones or something, and he can speak however he wants

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not a thing now that he's in the NFL. 

Obviously not as a tangible thing, but it does show he has talent.  Its not just an arbitrary award they hand out to random people.  

Ill still chalk up his lack of production in the pros to being dropped into the dumpster fire that is the browns.  A giant talent vacuum where careers inevitably go to die

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Obviously not as a tangible thing, but it does show he has talent.  Its not just an arbitrary award they hand out to random people.  

Ill still chalk up his lack of production in the pros to being dropped into the dumpster fire that is the browns.  A giant talent vacuum where careers inevitably go to die

Chicken and egg they draft horrible players regardless like Trent Richardson. That said.. I wanted Trent and I wanted Coleman.. and I think the browns will be pretty good this year. I am confused

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Chicken and egg they draft horrible players regardless like Trent Richardson. That said.. I wanted Trent and I wanted Coleman.. and I think the browns will be pretty good this year. I am confused

Coleman was voted best WR in college by people who know the game.  Whatever value that holds it still says something. EVERY player sans JT and maybe Haden have been garbage.  Hot day old beach diaper bad. Feels like the browns have had 3 1st rounders every year this decade, so yeah on paper they should be good. But ill never bet on the browns until they prove me wrong

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He is playing for something much more important than his rookie deal.

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Sometimes it's the subtle things.  Like the pauses.  He was being careful, choosing his words.  I like seeing that, a trait you want in a Process player.

He was clearly pissed at the Browns in the interview.  Wouldn't even call them by their name...said "that other team" multiple times.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s working toward a second contract. He’s not making that much right now. 

hahahahahahahahahahaha

HBO Hard Knocks starts tonight. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000945458/article/final-hard-knocks-trailer-drops-ahead-of-premiere

The Browns offer a plethora of intriguing storylines. From Jackson hanging on to his job despite a 1-31 record; to Mayfield learning the ropes as a No. 1 pick; to how the quarterback room will shake out; to a backfield battle; to the Josh Gordon situation; to an offensive line with question marks; to a defense that has intriguing pieces but hasn't put much together on the field. 

This weekend's trade of receiver Corey Coleman offers another glimpse into the tenuous life of a professional football player -- NFL Films cameras were reportedly recording at Coleman's apartment hours before the trade.

Edited by BillsFan4