Julio Jones is not going to report to Camp.

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
#Falcons WR Julio Jones does not plan to report to camp and he is comfortable sitting out the entire time, sources said. He is still seeking a contract adjustment, while the team made clear to him they did not plan to give him one. He appears resolute in his mindset.
5 minutes ago, Doc said:

What is he looking for in a new contract?

A contract Adjustment. So that could mean alot. I am guessing Guaranteed Money all the Guarantees Money is gone on the last three years of his deal. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

the most physically dominant WR in the game, and it isn't even close. i'll bet matt ryan signs up to give half of his salary to jones to keep him around. half of his stats are thanks to the jump balls this guy hauls in.

Yep. Adding Julio instantly would give the Bills a legitimate WR corp

Couple of points here

1) players B word they don't get guaranteed contracts..they do. Its guaranteed for the amount of  the bonuses they get..teams give the bonus in exchange for the years. Cant have it both ways. I think the contract Sammy signed will become the norm..short term, realistically all guaranteed... 

2) Longer terms deals to QB's and such will be based on a percentage of the cap, rather than a fixed dollar figure per year..

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Make it happen McBean....

Trade Jerry Hughes, Andre Holmes and a 2nd and 4th round picks for Julio.

and Atlanta GM gets fired immediately

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

What is he looking for in a new contract?

More money

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Make it happen McBean....

Trade Jerry Hughes, Andre Holmes and a 2nd and 4th round picks for Julio.

Oh yes- throw in that old Jugs machine in the corner that backfires and hits you in the nuts and you got yourself a deal my friend!

• Haha (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

and Atlanta GM gets fired immediately

More money

I would be on board with giving him more Money in the back end of a extension (non guaranteed) and guarantee the three years he has left right now. Call it a  5 year 70M  with 36 Guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Has he fired his agent and declared himself an idiot yet? He has THREE years left on a deal HE signed. 

And None of it is guaranteed. And the Fines are so small now for hold out. He is using his leverage no reason NOT to. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

The guy wants a new contract before the ink on the one he just signed dries

Played 3 years of that last contract. So honored it just about as much as Owners honor contracts as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

He is due $12.9 million this year, including his bonus.  He has made about $47 million in the first three, giving him close to the average of what is going on now for top WR.  However, with this year's 12.9, it starts to pale in comparison.

Honestly, I bet he is looking for something that locks him into at least 16 million per (or more), with another 30-32 (or more) million guaranteed.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

He just wants more Guaranteed money. 
This is an easy contract to work, however the compensation in a trade would be the hard part. 
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
The #Falcons had made clear to Julio Jones they’ll re-do his deal next year, but that is not, at this point, enough. In recent years, Antonio Brown, Marshawn Lynch, and Rob Gronkowski have seen their deals reworked by moving money forward from a future season. An option here.
Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:
He just wants more Guaranteed money. 
This is an easy contract to work, however the compensation in a trade would be the hard part. 
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
The #Falcons had made clear to Julio Jones they’ll re-do his deal next year, but that is not, at this point, enough. In recent years, Antonio Brown, Marshawn Lynch, and Rob Gronkowski have seen their deals reworked by moving money forward from a future season. An option here.

Maj, I can't believe I am typing this, but I am with Julio on this.

This isn't the old days of contracts "sign and we will see you at the end", especially when the player's are as talented as Julio.

It's just the way it is and in this case...I get it.

I almost think that all deals should be like rookie deals in that they can't be re-worked until the player goes into the last year.  

Does he deserve to get paid more?  Yes.  Did anyone force him to sign his deal that he still has years left on?  No.  QB and current WR deals have blown up because their agents are forward thinking and GM's pay them because of competition and the rising cap.  I'm sorry Julio and his agent didn't expect this to happen.

If a player can holdout whenever he wants, then a GM should be able to cut you without penalty.  It shouldn't just be one way.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I almost think that all deals should be like rookie deals in that they can't be re-worked until the player goes into the last year.  

Does he deserve to get paid more?  Yes.  Did anyone force him to sign his deal that he still has years left on?  No.  QB and current WR deals have blown up because their agents are forward thinking and GM's pay them because of competition and the rising cap.  I'm sorry Julio and his agent didn't expect this to happen.

If a player can holdout whenever he wants, then a GM should be able to cut you without penalty.  It shouldn't just be one way.

does that include threatening a player to take a pay cut or be released as well?

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

So all Contracts should be guaranteed then is what are saying. 

They did anticipate this happening. He performed maintained his leverage on a team and is now using his leverage to get his money guaranteed. 

This explains it well. 

Chris Mortensen (@mortreport)
Julio Jones' $47 million in guarantees was paid out in first three years of his extension at a fair market value of almost $16m per year. He has three years left at $10.5m, $12.5m and $11.4m but annual salary not guaranteed until week 1 as vested veteran. 

He just wants guaranteed money. As Virigl starts just like Rookie Deals. 

Edited by MAJBobby

There is no way ATL is moving him for anything less than a 1st rd pick and then some. I don't think he's going anywhere. It's not like he really needs training camp at this stage of his career anyhow, assuming he's still in elite shape.

Pass on a going-on-to 30 yr old disgruntled WR, who we don't have the cap space for, anyway.  Wait until the 2019 draft to get our WR.  Yes, I know, our WR situation is far from good.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Pass on a going-on-to 30 yr old disgruntled WR, who we don't have the cap space for, anyway.  Wait until the 2019 draft to get our WR.  Yes, I know, our WR situation is far from good.

And if they're looking for a 1st in a trade, there's no way I would want Beane to give up what could very well be a Top 5 pick in next year's draft.

He's only played 2 out of the 5 years on the current deal. He sees the money Watkins and Cooks got this offseason and wants an "adjustment" to match them. Did he not realize average pay increases every year?

This is just like Jason Peters, except Peters had a valid point since he signed his deal as a RT and then became a LT.

I like Julio, but he's being ridiculous. Especially since the Falcons already said they'd be willing to re-do contract after this year, a year earlier than they normally re-negotiate.

All that said, he isnt going anywhere, the Falcons arent trading him. They'll just wait for him to show up, and let Matt Ryan get better acquainted with Calvin Ridley in the meantime.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:
6 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

So, trade for a disgruntled WR and pay him big money, before we even know if there's a franchise QB on the roster?  Brilliant idea.

So we don't try to acquire good players until we have a QB? He's not disgruntled.....just like most people and many players.....just wants more money

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/atlanta-falcons-will-reportedly-not-rework-contract-wide-receiver-julio-jones

Beane Make the Call. See what that package is that they would move him for. 

Athletic article (needs subscription)

https://theathletic.com/437304/2018/07/18/julio-jones-wont-get-new-deal-falcons-hope-he-reports-to-training-camp/

Anyone have a subscription and could provide a high-level summary?

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Do you want to potentially give up a 1st for him?

Haven't put an offer together yet but he is one the best WRs in the league....having said that....Falcons will not trade him

Doesn’t he still have like 3 years left?

If I were the Falcons I wouldn’t give him a new contract yet.

If you redo his deal with 3 years left, then every player on the Falcons who outplays his contract is going to hold out and ask for a new deal.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/atlanta-falcons-will-reportedly-not-rework-contract-wide-receiver-julio-jones

Beane Make the Call. See what that package is that they would move him for. 

Beane: Hi, Tom.  Brandon Beane here.
Dimitroff.  Hi, Brandon.  What can I do for you?
Beane:  I'm calling to inquire about Julio Jones's availability for a trade.  We're very interested, now that we have what could be our franchise QB.
Dimitroff: Give me your 2019 1st and 2020 2nd and you've got a deal.
Beane: It's a deal.  Thanks, Tom.

<after the last game of the season>

Bills finish 4-12, Falcons will now have two picks in the first round.  One of them in the Top 5 from the Julio Jones to Buffalo deal.

Edited by Cornette's Commentary

2 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Beane: Hi, Tom.  Brandon Beane here.
Dimitroff.  Hi, Brandon.  What can I do for you?
Beane:  I'm calling to inquire about Julio Jones's availability for a trade.  We're very interested, now that we have what could be our franchise QB.
Dimitroff: Give me your 2019 1st and 2020 2nd and you've got a deal.
Beane: It's a deal.  Thanks, Tom.

<after the last game of the season>

Bills finish 4-12, Falcons will now have two picks in the first round.  One of them in the Top 5 from the Julio Jones to Buffalo deal.

Lol sounds about right .

Ya they are going to want at least a first and 2nd, and there’s no way I am doing that if I’m Beane.

He is a great player, but he is turning 30 in a year 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Doesn’t he still have like 3 years left?

If I were the Falcons I wouldn’t give him a new contract yet.

If you redo his deal with 3 years left, then every player on the Falcons who outplays his contract is going to hold out and ask for a new deal.

Yep, that is part of their argument. Along with the fact they have a lot of young, up-and-coming talent on Defense. And they know they need to keep that unit together.

With the deal they gave Matt Ryan, and the young D players they'll need to pay, they cant tie up half of their cap between QB and 1 WR.

• Like (+1) 1