Is "faith" a requirement under McD?

eball

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Do they have betting in Mexico? Jesus is real big there.

I'm sure he's bet on the Bills a few times.

In Mexico, 1/3 of the men are Jesus...

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John...not so much.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet there are few if any "devout Christians" on the team (who would play on Sunday?).

Although they all seem to thank Jesus after a big game...

I mean, like Jesus is really laying his money on the Bills....

ouch

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yep, who said 

god has no sense of game play ?
keeping it interesting for eons.

Even the dinosaurs found out  Her sense of humor. 

yep, who said 

god has no sense of game play ?
keeping it interesting for eons.

Even the dinosaurs found out  Her sense of humor. 

That was still funny the second time.

?

lol 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In Mexico, 1/3 of the men are Jesus...

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John...not so much.

pushing the envelope again are we ? foot in the door?

Nothing wrong with building Team as you see fit.
If owners can be racist bigots, and some are, I prefer a group hug type of team who kicks azz

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Matteo, Marco, Lucas, and Julio though 

well done !

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lfod said:

I never seen him pushing any religious agenda onto the team. I've never heard any complaints from players about him. I never seen him in any pictures even wearing a cross. I've never seen any pictures of him with his family or in a church. 

If he want to preach religion he can go be a Pastor. He is a professional NFL HC and I think he knows the difference between the two jobs. 

That may be because you're completely looking for the wrong things. Wearing a cross doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to church.

He is, however and without a doubt, a man of God. I can give you two unequivocal moments to this point.

The first was after the Bills got their first regular season win. In the post-game circle up, he starts to address the team, but then stops and apologizes because he wanted to ensure he first thanked God for the win. 

The second can be seen in the locker room video right after Dalton throws the TD to put the Bills in the playoffs. You see Pegula starting to approach McDermott, who is on a knee giving thanks to God.

With all that said, you can  watch the interviews with many of the draft picks, including Allen and especially with Edmunds (and his brother, drafted by Pittsburgh). It's clear they are centered on their faith in God as a Christian. The Edmunds brothers talk a lot about how their father raised them in such a household.

I understand the topic is an easy one for people to mock, but the reality is that a sport like football that is so team-oriented really demands structure, focus, encouragement and accountability among everyone. When your primary commitment is first and foremost to a relationship with God, especially one enhanced by the people you work with and for, you simply are reducing the number times you are going to wake up to find your star player getting charged with domestic assault, or pitting dogs in fights in your back yard, or drugs, or DUIs, or any of the things that can take your focus off your relationship with God.

Yes, I know. Men of God are flawed. It's not a guarantee. Just ask King David. 

Now look at t he Eagles. There are some great videos out there about how those players hold each other accountable, and hold Bible studies together, and when Pederson and Foles hoisted the trophy after beating NE*, what's the first thing out of both their mouths?

In fact, football is the perfect place for Proverbs 27:17: Iron sharpens iron.

I dig this about McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Reminds me of a very old joke...

An amateur boxer talks to a priest before his first bout...

"Father, does it help if I do the sign of the cross before I enter the ring?"

The priest's response. "Son, not if you cant fight it don't.. "

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I wasn't here to "dump on Christianity".

I was merely pointing out the absurdity of "faith" as a whole, which is the belief in something without actual proof.

It was pointing out the silliness that if you tell a devout Christian that you can shoot laser beams from your eyes, he will want proof, but yet he believes extraordinary things written in a book by an invisible being with no tangible proof whatsoever.

I am willing to bet I have done more research on Christianity, as well as many other religions, than yourself.

Go read some books by Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.

They're pretty enlightening.

Impressive. All that reading about why faith is bogus, yet you apparently forgot to read the actual book about what makes a Christian. 

And yes,  the whole point of your post was to dump on faith. The OP had nothing to do with whether or not you felt faith/belief/religion was a validly held position.  

Keep on keepin' on that "enlightened" road you are walking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I totally hear where you are coming from, and in a lot of ways I think it's really great. I'm not even looking to get into the ways that I don't think it does, because I prefer to focus on the amazing things that drive people forward.

The one piece though that I think is relevant to this discussion, and I would like some more clarity on is what I quoted above, specifically how it undermines your argument slightly. 

I am weary of people when they say that all people are flawed, in fact a lot of people a extremely flawed, but all will be forgiven if you follow a certain set of rules that we agree with, but you better not follow those steps...or else the worst thing you could ever imagine is going to happen.

He's looking for good people, solid humans who stand strong together and believe in the power of connection that is larger than any individual person and stretches across time and space. Period. End it there, ya know. That's universal. People make mistakes, but when you promise people that the only way to make up for those mistakes is to submit and have unwavering faith...I think it allows flawed people (aren't we all) to be confused with broken people. It's disingenuous. 

I hope he is building a team based on universal truth, but that is not limited to the teachings of Christianity, nor does that exclude those teachings per se. Universal truths are universal regardless off the tool used to dig them out...let's be amazed by their universality and not squabble over and measure our tools (lol, no pun initially intended).

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Impressive. All that reading about why faith is bogus, yet you apparently forgot to read the actual book about what makes a Christian. 

And yes,  the whole point of your post was to dump on faith. The OP had nothing to do with whether or not you felt faith/belief/religion was a validly held position.  

Keep on keepin' on that "enlightened" road you are walking.

Good job reading my post.

I suggested two books for somebody to read.

I actually have read the Quran, the Torah (which is genesis-deuto), the King James version, as well as the catholic canon (which includes many other books prior to the Reformation).

I've read the Pali Canon as well as the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I've studied Hinduism, Shintoism, Taoism/Daoism, as well as the Greek and Roman mythologies.

Feel free to tell me what books I "forgot to read".

Since you've read the "book that makes a Christian" please tell me more about any OTHER religious texts/scriptures you've taken the time to read prior to making your decision on which to follow/not follow.

Or do you just base your opinion of other religions on what the news media tells you?

Keep on keepin' on your "enlightened" road that I'm sure was the one your parents set you on and you never questioned it or felt the need to see where it was actually heading though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

How many of you knew this was going to turn into bashing Christians and belief in God?

Oddly enough atheist and agnostics seem to have an amazing ability to speak at length about Jesus but seemingly never get around to Allah or the Hindu 

Edited by Sky Diver

Whoa this thread is Deep..*adjusts my waders**  to bottom line answer the OP's original post I do not think faith in Jesus the son, Holy Spirit and the Father is the type of "faith" Mr McDermott covets....If there were Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, The Latter Day Saints, any other faith practice that promotes in a person  good character, good work ethic, men of conviction and high standards,  to have a broad Team focus and not just all about himself...Those are the guys along with great athletic talent belong in the NFL and whom you want on your team and whom imo McDermott covets.  The faith practice is irrelevant its the CONTENT of the persons skills and buying into the Bills Process and vision for success aka NFL Championships is what I think matters to him most. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I totally hear where you are coming from, and in a lot of ways I think it's really great. I'm not even looking to get into the ways that I don't think it does, because I prefer to focus on the amazing things that drive people forward.

The one piece though that I think is relevant to this discussion, and I would like some more clarity on is what I quoted above, specifically how it undermines your argument slightly. 

I am weary of people when they say that all people are flawed, in fact a lot of people a extremely flawed, but all will be forgiven if you follow a certain set of rules that we agree with, but you better not follow those steps...or else the worst thing you could ever imagine is going to happen.

First, thanks for the thoughtful response. This probably isn't the place to dive too much deeper, but the idea that everyone is flawed is actually a pretty cool thing from a Christian perspective because in the process of becoming a Christian, and even maintaining a relationship with God, a key component (from my cheap seats) is the ability to ask (and have answered) one critical position that always arises: "I'm a dumbass. I've done stupid things, and hateful things, and sinful things. Would God  really accept me as a Christian?" 

There is no set of rules, per se. What IS asked of you is faith that God is real, that Christ was born, lived, died and was resurrected. That's basically the TV Guide version, but that's it. Genuine faith, and faith alone. If your faith is real, the rest is forgiven. Even when you screw up again. But God wants a relationship with you, which, if you maintain through reading and Bible studies, etc., will keep you from straying too much. Which I think is what McDermott wants.

The disciples were kind of a crude bunch, actually. Plus, if he'll take Saul of Tarsus, he'll take anyone, which is kind of the point.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

That may be because you're completely looking for the wrong things. Wearing a cross doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to church.

He is, however and without a doubt, a man of God. I can give you two unequivocal moments to this point.

The first was after the Bills got their first regular season win. In the post-game circle up, he starts to address the team, but then stops and apologizes because he wanted to ensure he first thanked God for the win. 

The second can be seen in the locker room video right after Dalton throws the TD to put the Bills in the playoffs. You see Pegula starting to approach McDermott, who is on a knee giving thanks to God.

With all that said, you can  watch the interviews with many of the draft picks, including Allen and especially with Edmunds (and his brother, drafted by Pittsburgh). It's clear they are centered on their faith in God as a Christian. The Edmunds brothers talk a lot about how their father raised them in such a household.

I understand the topic is an easy one for people to mock, but the reality is that a sport like football that is so team-oriented really demands structure, focus, encouragement and accountability among everyone. When your primary commitment is first and foremost to a relationship with God, especially one enhanced by the people you work with and for, you simply are reducing the number times you are going to wake up to find your star player getting charged with domestic assault, or pitting dogs in fights in your back yard, or drugs, or DUIs, or any of the things that can take your focus off your relationship with God.

Now look at t he Eagles. There are some great videos out there about how those players hold each other accountable, and hold Bible studies together, and when Pederson and Foles hoisted the trophy after beating NE*, what's the first thing out of both their mouths?

I don’t think that it’s inherently great or terrible for the team. Ultimately you are sourcing talent, motivation, and synergy. 

If hes drawn inherently to guys that hold shared values that can be great for the right group... If he is irrationally loyal to guys he personally associates with his own morals instead of merit based evaluations it can be a disaster. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

Shady is one of McDermott's favorite players.  Shady is no choir boy, but he is a dedicated and fierce competitor on the field.  I think that's more of what McDermott is looking for.

Shady goes to church and posts about it almost every week. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

There is no set of rules, per se ...

? Wonder where you think you are going with this idea.

End of the day, I find that religion is much like any collective effort. You cede rights and are expected by faith to accept certain things. There are expected behaviors. You are not of your volition able to decide which behaviors are acceptable and which are not. Period.

This should or perhaps better put could be an inspiration. 

There is this whole prevailing Western belief that the Bible is some sort of loose leaf notebook - it is part of an underlying, greater path that elevates the person to the position of God. I think humans pretty much make terrible Gods.  

To the original poster, I dig the coach's faith and desire to bring God into every part of his life. There is a humility there that is refreshing. 

Cheers.

Edited by Tyrod's friend

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

Good post. And I am a devout atheist.

I think one of the most important things a coach can do is motivate his players. Of the various ways to do this, religious faith can be a pretty powerful motivator. 

If McDermott is super religious and he is dealing with a religious player on the team its going to be very easy for him to motivate that player. 

Usually the more motivated and inspired team is the one that wins. On the flip side a team that cant be motivated (see the dolphins a few years ago) is just going to quit and kill the coaches career. 

My interest is in the Bills winning games. If there was a coach who was really good at motivating players who love peanut butter, i wouldnt be shocked if that coach was more likely to gather a decent amount of players who loved peanut butter.

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

I see the reference to Mike Vick. Fwiw, Vick mentioned his faith frequently before being arrested for dogfighting. I’m a very spiritual person myself, so please don’t mistake this for my mocking faith. I’m just not convinced there is any way you can build a team that prevents player indiscretions. Pro football players sometimes have issues that can be summed up with this verse, Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:24

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

13 minutes ago, The Alpha Fire said:

Im sure your existence is full of joy and meaning. Let people believe what they want, theyre not gonna take away your pornhub hun.

lol am I somehow stopping people from believing what they want to? Believe in whatever magical sky demon you please, no skin off my nose.

Just keep it out of my government, please. 

And it's very Christian of you to assume my life has no joy or meaning beyond porn because I do not worship like you. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

? Wonder where you think you are going with this idea

Just that Christianity starts and ends with faith, and faith alone. You can follow any rules you want, but works without faith are good deeds and don't assure your entry to God's kingdom.

32 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I see the reference to Mike Vick. Fwiw, Vick mentioned his faith frequently before being arrested for dogfighting. I’m a very spiritual person myself, so please don’t mistake this for my mocking faith. I’m just not convinced there is any way you can build a team that prevents player indiscretions. Pro football players sometimes have issues that can be summed up with this verse, Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:24

Let me preface by checking myself to remember it's not my place to judge. It's something I still struggle with, but the point here is that, in my mind, it's difficult to believe that anyone who commits to a steady relationship with God will simultaneously do what Mike Vick did, often and brutally. What he was doing was illegal, and his consequences affected many, many people in a very negative way. I think a Christian who spent his time with Christians would have never let the dog thing go on.

Just my thoughts.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure about faith being a prerequisite but he clearly hates Jews. Passed over Rosen and not one Himmelfarb or Finklestein on the entire 90 man roster. 

Did he cut Klopfenstein again?  

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

lol am I somehow stopping people from believing what they want to? Believe in whatever magical sky demon you please, no skin off my nose.

Just keep it out of my government, please. 

And it's very Christian of you to assume my life has no joy or meaning beyond porn because I do not worship like you. ?

The Government is filled with devil worshippers lol. They all attented cremation of care ritual at Bohemian Grove. I'd tell you to go check out the ritual if you can get past the armed guards. 

They all like to fly on jeffrey Epstein's plaine to his private island do to bad things man. I mean the all seeing eye of Lucifer is on the dollar bill. 

Edited by Lfod

26 minutes ago, Lfod said:

The Government is filled with devil worshippers lol. They all attented cremation of care ritual at Bohemian Grove. I'd tell you to go check out the ritual if you can get past the armed guards. 

They all like to fly on jeffrey Epstein's plaine to his private island do to bad things man. I mean the all seeing eye of Lucifer is on the dollar bill. 

All that is still less scary to to me than your average Christian.  ?

Edited by Domdab99

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Since you've read the "book that makes a Christian" please tell me more about any OTHER religious texts/scriptures you've taken the time to read prior to making your decision on which to follow/not follow.

Why do you care which religion I choose to follow/ not follow? Why do I, or anyone else,  have to justify myself/themselves to you? You are the one that, for some reason ,  feels the need to denigrate those who believe in something bigger than themselves in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with that.  Why? That's a rhetorical "why", btw. I already know the answer.