Is "faith" a requirement under McD?

eball

If there is one non-football thing I've noticed about McD it is the emphasis he places on faith when discussing the makeup of the team.  I believe he uses the phrase "family, faith, football" frequently which begs the question -- is there a place for a player on this roster who isn't a devout Christian or (perish the thought) is agnostic or an atheist?  An aspect unique to sports is the open practice of religion before, during, and after games.

Obviously McD can't come out and openly discriminate on the basis of religion but that's not what I'm asking.  I don't think this is a silly question and I'm not making fun of anyone -- I'm curious to hear others' thoughts and I wonder if a media member would ever ask him that question (i.e., can a player who doesn't claim religious faith as a cornerstone of his life fit into "the process" with the Buffalo Bills)?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't know what context he uses the word in, but the concept of faith is hardly exclusive to devout Christians, or even religion.

I certainly hope he's only interested in players who have faith in his execution of the team's long term plan.

• Like (+1) 9

I am sure any player that is a good player and a good teammate is welcome on this team.  He mentions his "faith" a lot.  There is nothing wrong with that as much as other players talking about their faith (or political views or musical tastes etc).

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think that McDermott wants or needs to field a team of 53 devout Christians.  I would be surprised if the locker room is more than 10% devout Christians.

you may find some devout George Michael fans though...

FAITH

• Haha (+1) 1

I would guess faith refers to faith in team, coaches, and system (trust the process).  Doubt McD and Beane draft only Christians.  They just don't want locker room cancers; I think they're right in this position.

I’ve wondered too, eball. He’s pretty emphatic about it. So much so, it bothers me, as I’m not. He/the Bills will never say agnostics aren’t going to be Bills, but his openness about it would make it difficult for a player who isn’t.

• Like (+1) 3

If this type of religous discrimination is being practiced then it will come out and the price paid wil be heavy. 

You cannot hire people based upon their personal faith... unless that institution is religion based. The NFL is clearly not religion based, therefore it would be career suicide for McDermott/Beane in the NFL and even team suicide to do so.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_religious.cfm

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Religious Affiliation or Beliefs

Questions about an applicant's religious affiliation or beliefs (unless the religion is a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ)), are generally viewed as non job-related and problematic under federal law.

Religious corporations, associations, educational institutions, or societies are exempt from the federal laws that EEOC enforces when it comes to the employment of individuals based on their particular religion. In other words, an employer whose purpose and character is primarily religious is permitted to lean towards hiring persons of the same religion. This exception relieves religious organizations only from the ban on employment discrimination based on religion. It does not exempt such organizations from employing individuals due to their race, gender, national origin, disability, color, and/or age. Other employers should avoid questions about an applicant's religious affiliation, such as place of worship, days of worship, and religious holidays and should not ask for references from religious leaders, e.g., minister, rabbi, priest, imam, or pastor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would be shocked if I learned that a Christian belief system was a requirement for the Bills in the minds of McDermott and Beane.  However, I think that McBeane does find that Christian values are conducive to hard work and dedication in practice and on the field.  I know several draft picks referenced their Christian faith regarding the whole pre-draft process, including Edmunds, Harrison Phillips and Austin Proehl.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, eball said:

If there is one non-football thing I've noticed about McD it is the emphasis he places on faith when discussing the makeup of the team.  I believe he uses the phrase "family, faith, football" frequently which begs the question -- is there a place for a player on this roster who isn't a devout Christian or (perish the thought) is agnostic or an atheist?  An aspect unique to sports is the open practice of religion before, during, and after games.

Obviously McD can't come out and openly discriminate on the basis of religion but that's not what I'm asking.  I don't think this is a silly question and I'm not making fun of anyone -- I'm curious to hear others' thoughts and I wonder if a media member would ever ask him that question (i.e., can a player who doesn't claim religious faith as a cornerstone of his life fit into "the process" with the Buffalo Bills)?

I have considered this very point a few times and thought of starting a thread on it myself.

I noticed right away when Josh Allen did his first interviews with WNY media outlets, he was working Jesus into his first few comments.  Did that play a role in the team wanting him over someone else, like Josh Rosen? 

I believe it is highly likely that McDermott allows his Christian faith to influence his decision making, even if he is not consciously aware of it.

26 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I would guess faith refers to faith in team, coaches, and system (trust the process).  Doubt McD and Beane draft only Christians.  They just don't want locker room cancers; I think they're right in this position.

No, McDermott has made it clear many times in how he speaks that he is devoutly religious. 

His use of "faith" is the religious meaning, not other more abstract meanings.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

I've seen only a few people with a deep understanding of the word. Most people it's just a shiny badge to make them feel better. So I wouldn't be concerned about the Christians because you probably never met a real one. 

I didn't even care about the Bible until I had my mind blown by a few people with interpretation I never seen at a church.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure about faith being a prerequisite but he clearly hates Jews. Passed over Rosen and not one Himmelfarb or Finklestein on the entire 90 man roster. 

But there is a Benjamin & a Levi.  

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

I've seen only a few people with a deep understanding of the word. Most people it's just a shiny badge to make them feel better. So I wouldn't be concerned about the Christians because you probably never met a real one. 

I know what you mean here, but this is entirely off topic and not really relevant to the OP's suggestion.

The issue is not whether McD is a "true Christian".  The issue is whether or not he allows his religious beliefs to interfere in otherwise objective/clear headed decision making.  I bet he does.

• Like (+1) 1