Bills UDFA signings & Rookie minicamp invitees

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, every once in a while.

Corbin Bryant was a UDFA, though it was the Steelers he spent his first year with. Groy too, though he spent his first year with the Bears. Chris Hogan. Lorax and Humber both, though again they didn't start with the Bills. George Wilson, Donald Jones.

Jabari Greer as well. He had a great career. 

On 4/30/2018 at 12:04 AM, BullBuchanan said:

The kid started one game. A game in which the only receiver anyone has ever heard of was injured on the very first play and two scrubs let balls bounce off their hands and turn into picks. My confidence would be shot too. Before getting hurt, he was holding his own in that blizzard against Indy too. Peterman's a smart and athletic kid. I'd bet he'll have a chance to be in this league for a long time before I'd bet that he's one and done.

Yeah, I don't understand all the hate for the kid. I definitely want to see more of him before I rush to judgement.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2018 at 11:00 PM, TigerJ said:

Part of the consideration is cost.  Veterans will cost you the vet minimum, whatever that is, and can count against your salary cap.  UDFAs cost you a little bit of nothing.

If last year is any indication, they will still pick up veterans.

14 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Me too. Josh Allen Threw Five Picks in a game against Nebraska.

Peterman was on pace for ten. It's entirely possible that the first half could have been his good half, and he would have finished with 11-12. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman was on pace for ten. It's entirely possible that the first half could have been his good half, and he would have finished with 11-12. 

He's actually quite raw and needs work to be sure, but I'm not as down on him (yet) as you are, not nearly. No one is saying that he has Josh Allen's upside but like Allen (and almost all young QBs) the question is "can he learn" and "is he coachable". He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Kelly is a mutt but our mutt.  You have not identified yourself as anything (/dev/null).

Thanks ... you might want to check with other posters. I think I've already identified myself as an equal mutt to Kelly. 

I just have little patience with any one as stupid as me - I get enough of that from the mirror every day.

2 hours ago, westside said:

Yeah, I don't understand all the hate for the kid. I definitely want to see more of him before I rush to judgement.

I can only speak for myself, but I spent a lot of money on some good seats at Stubhub Stadium for that Chargers game, and I'm in no mood to forgive him for that horror show. It was embarrassing. And you're no longer allowed to bring in opaque bags. I just looked silly with that clear plastic bag over my head.

It was painful to watch a half of literally historically bad football. And, in my opinion, the picks were not the only problem. He couldn't lead the team. In the second half of the Chargers game, after TT took over, they looked like a different team. And, I'm sorry, the Indy game is an outlier. It was a blizzard. The teams were fighting the elements more than each other.

If Peterman somehow improves enough this offseason to last through the preseason, then good for him. But, the chances of him becoming a starter in the NFL look to me to be on par with Jeff Tuel.

6 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Thanks ... you might want to check with other posters. I think I've already identified myself as an equal mutt to Kelly. 

I just have little patience with any one as stupid as me - I get enough of that from the mirror every day.

If you're going to use the ignore function on every poster with a steadfast opinion that doesn't mesh with yours, you're going to run out of conversations-- or at least interesting ones. KtD is a dedicated fan with a lot to say, and a high knowledge base. And, he's no where near the most obnoxious. Not even close.

43 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

At least we got a young guy in....looks he runs with a lil power...but hands are avg.

This kid probably has the best shot to make the team as an UDFA simply for the fact that he has young legs.

If he shows ANYTHING in the summer, he makes the team.................. unless the Pats release Gillislee, which Is possible.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I can only speak for myself, but I spent a lot of money on some good seats at Stubhub Stadium for that Chargers game, and I'm in no mood to forgive him for that horror show. It was embarrassing. And you're no longer allowed to bring in opaque bags. I just looked silly with that clear plastic bag over my head.

It was painful to watch a half of literally historically bad football. And, in my opinion, the picks were not the only problem. He couldn't lead the team. In the second half of the Chargers game, after TT took over, they looked like a different team. And, I'm sorry, the Indy game is an outlier. It was a blizzard. The teams were fighting the elements more than each other.

If Peterman somehow improves enough this offseason to last through the preseason, then good for him. But, the chances of him becoming a starter in the NFL look to me to be on par with Jeff Tuel.

If you're going to use the ignore function on every poster with a steadfast opinion that doesn't mesh with yours, you're going to run out of conversations-- or at least interesting ones. KtD is a dedicated fan with a lot to say, and a high knowledge base. And, he's no where near the most obnoxious. Not even close.

I thought that they could give tickets away for the Chargers' game.

16 minutes ago, njbuff said:

This kid probably has the best shot to make the team as an UDFA simply for the fact that he has young legs.

If he shows ANYTHING in the summer, he makes the team.................. unless the Pats release Gillislee, which Is possible.

This guy runs like Travis Henry

58 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He played for A&M and OU? 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

True that he threw 5............but he also fumbled and recovered it and then threw an easy pick-six that the defender dropped.....nearly turning it over TWICE on the drive where they punted! :lol:  

The only drive where Peterman didn't throw the ball to the other team was the two play drive where they handed it off twice and McCoy went thru them like sh*t thru a goose for 70 yards............the myth of the unbelievable Chargers defense tho'!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

True that he threw 5............but he also fumbled and recovered it and then threw an easy pick-six that the defender dropped.....nearly turning it over TWICE on the drive where they punted! :lol:  

The only drive where Peterman didn't throw the ball to the other team was the two play drive where they handed it off twice and McCoy went thru them like sh*t thru a goose for 70 yards............the myth of the unbelievable Chargers defense tho'!

My question in that game was "Why come out throwing?"

You had a D that was worst against the run in the league -- almost 5 yards a carry.   Pound the !@#$ing rock.  Get Ingram and Bosa to do their normal too far upfield push and just plow it to open up the pass.  I think the Bills coaching staff outsmarted itself thinking Lynn would be ready for that.

What do we do...with a rookie QB...instead of playing small ball and keeping it away from Rivers -- we base the game plan on getting the ball to Benjamin and he gets hurt the first catch.   I was hoping for a game plan like Atlanta on the road...but no we think Peterman became Brett Farve on the plane ride out and we are going to get into a shooting match.  I gave McD one of his rookie HC mistakes on that one...I couldn't watch...it was the Christians/Lions scenario.  I even watched the New Orleans debacle but SD was too much for me to take.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

You had a D that worst against the run in the league -- almost 5 yards a carry.   Pound the !@#$ing rock.  Get Ingram and Bosa to do their normal too far upfield push and just plow it to open up the pass.  I think the Bills coaching staff outsmarted itself thinking Lynn would be ready for that.

What do we do...with a rookie QB...instead of playing small ball and keeping it away from Rivers -- we base the game plan on getting the ball to Benjamin and he gets hurt the first catch.   I was hoping for a game plan like Atlanta on the road...but no we think Peterman became Brett Farve on the plane ride out and we are going to get into a shooting match.  I gave McD his one rookie HC mistake on that one...

To prove that Tyrod was the reason the passing offense was struggling.   

Dennison got himself fired that day.........it was a formality after that.

Embarrassing that McD let it get to the point where they benched Taylor when they had emptied the cupboard at WR and KB had only one game with him.

A bit of a lack of accountability on managements part there.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JoeF said:

You had a D that worst against the run in the league -- almost 5 yards a carry.   Pound the !@#$ing rock.  Get Ingram and Bosa to do their normal too far upfield push and just plow it to open up the pass.  I think the Bills coaching staff outsmarted itself thinking Lynn would be ready for that.

What do we do...with a rookie QB...instead of playing small ball and keeping it away from Rivers -- we base the game plan on getting the ball to Benjamin and he gets hurt the first catch.   I was hoping for a game plan like Atlanta on the road...but no we think Peterman became Brett Farve on the plane ride out and we are going to get into a shooting match.  I gave McD one of his rookie HC mistakes on that one...

It was a fiasco. To blame it all on Peterman is ridiculous. It was largely a combination of poor coaching decisions and horrible offensive line play.

Edited by Sky Diver

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To prove that Tyrod was the reason the passing offense was struggling.   

Dennison got himself fired that day.........it was a formality after that.

Embarrassing that McD let it get to the point where they benched Taylor when they had emptied the cupboard at WR and KB had only one game with him.

A bit of a lack of accountability on managements part there.

Not that it matters but probably also ruined a career of a rookie QB by sapping every bit of confidence he had.  Hopefully, they learned...or else they will !@#$ up Allen as well.

My biggest fear with Allen has nothing to do with him as a player, its the Bills relying on the existing staff to develop him.  I would love for them to contract with Jordan Palmer and Bruce Arians to help.  Arians did a great job building structures around Manning and Big Ben to help them.  The Bills need someone who has done this before.  Part of becoming great is knowing when you need help.....and being open to it.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It was a fiasco. To blame it all on Peterman is ridiculous. It was largely a combination of poor coaching and horrible offensive line play.

It would be impossible for anyone to turn the ball over in all 6 drives where he threw the football.........which is basically what he did save for recovering his fumble and a dropped pick-six........without poor coaching.    The OL play was poor but that was nothing unusual.....see Jets game two weeks earlier.     The decision to play him and then letting him throw the ball when he clearly did not belong on an NFL field was McD and Dennison's fault.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It would be impossible for anyone to turn the ball over in all 6 drives where he threw the football.........which is basically what he did save for recovering his fumble and a dropped pick-six........without poor coaching.    The OL play was poor but that was nothing unusual.....see Jets game two weeks earlier.     The decision to play him and then letting him throw the ball when he clearly did not belong on an NFL field was McD and Dennison's fault.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on the OL play. Bosa remarked on the sideline that it didn't even seem the Mills tried to block him on one play. The OL was horrible. There was even speculation that Mills tanked intentionally his play was so bad.

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It obviously wasn't a great decision, but the game plan was clearly going to heavily involve Benjamin.  If he doesn't go down on the first series the game goes differently.

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the OL play. Bosa remarked on the sideline that it didn't even seem the Mills tried to block him on one play. The OL was horrible. There was even speculation that Mills tanked intentionally his play was so bad.

Mills is a borderline NFL player who starts here because the Bills have nothing at RT..........he's not going to risk losing a $2M per year job and did not intentionally let Bosa go.........he is just THAT BAD at times.   See the end of the Seattle game in 2017.......he gave up 3 untouched rushes on the final drive alone.......including the game ending sack.     The difference is that Tyrod isn't a stationary target back there.........Bosa could make a direct line to Peterman without fear of it turning into a big busted play gain for the Bills the way it happens often when you don't play to contain TT.    With Peterman back there they could sprint right to his spot......which is what they did.    Simple as that.   It was a dreadful pass blocking OL when Greg Roman got here and it only got more vulnerable without Glenn in 2017......but Roman/Lynn/Tyrod/RPO's basically have been masking the depth of terrible they are as pass blockers. 

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It obviously wasn't a great decision, but the game plan was clearly going to heavily involve Benjamin.  If he doesn't go down on the first series the game goes differently.

The throw to Benjamin was treacherous..........they were sitting on it and that's WHY he got injured.    Throwing your #1 WR into sudden contact for a potential 15 yard gain is not a good decision but at this stage of his career Nate Peterman is just worried about getting the ball into the hands of a WR quick.    He showed that in preseason.   Pre-snap read and chuck it.   That's why he was a 50% passer in the preseason.      

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Mills is a borderline NFL player who starts here because the Bills have nothing at RT..........he's not going to risk losing a $2M per year job and did not intentionally let Bosa go.........he is just THAT BAD at times.   See the end of the Seattle game in 2017.......he gave up 3 untouched rushes on the final drive alone.......including the game ending sack.     The difference is that Tyrod isn't a stationary target back there.........Bosa could make a direct line to Peterman without fear of it turning into a big busted play gain for the Bills the way it happens often when you don't play to contain TT.    With Peterman back there they could sprint right to his spot......which is what they did.    Simple as that.   It was a dreadful pass blocking OL when Greg Roman got here and it only got more vulnerable without Glenn in 2017......but Roman/Lynn/Tyrod/RPO's basically have been masking the depth of terrible they are as pass blockers. 

I definitely think that their plan for the upcoming season is to make use of RPOs on a regular basis to hold off defenders; that can only help a guy like Allen too--mixing in single-read  plays will speed his acclimation to the pro game. 

56 minutes ago, JoeF said:

My biggest fear with Allen has nothing to do with him as a player, its the Bills relying on the existing staff to develop him.  I would love for them to contract with Jordan Palmer and Bruce Arians to help.  Arians did a great job building structures around Manning and Big Ben to help them.  The Bills need someone who has done this before.  Part of becoming great is knowing when you need help.....and being open to it.

They cannot contract out to people unless they are on staff and then they fall with limits set by CBA.   It is best that Allen pay Palmer then it is between him and Palmer not team but he can bring notes from team so Allen does not get different directions from different coaches.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

They cannot contract out to people unless they are on staff and then they fall with limits set by CBA.   It is best that Allen pay Palmer then it is between him and Palmer not team but he can bring notes from team so Allen does not get different directions from different coaches.

Thanks, Limeaid.  Didn't know this.  Really appreciate the information.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I definitely think that their plan for the upcoming season is to make use of RPOs on a regular basis to hold off defenders; that can only help a guy like Allen too--mixing in single-read  plays will speed his acclimation to the pro game. 

Yeah I can't even envision them NOT doing a ton of RPO.    It's too scary to think about running traditional drop back offense with this group on the OL.    I mean it seems like people are expecting Dawkins to become Tyron Smith or something........he could become the best run blocking LT in the NFL but he was far from a stud pass blocker.    They are deficient at pass blocking at all 5 spots.   They need to be run first and the best chance they have to build a passing game behind it is that little bit of hesitation that RPO causes a defense.  

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The throw to Benjamin was treacherous..........they were sitting on it and that's WHY he got injured.    Throwing your #1 WR into sudden contact for a potential 15 yard gain is not a good decision but at this stage of his career Nate Peterman is just worried about getting the ball into the hands of a WR quick.    He showed that in preseason.   Pre-snap read and chuck it.   That's why he was a 50% passer in the preseason.      

Benjamin’s injury was because of Peterman? You have passed the point of absurdity. I understand you don’t like him, but don’t be ridiculous.

What’s next, are you going to blame him for global warming?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Is RPOs a new term being used for this team?  It's run-pass options right?  Is it more than that?  It seems to be something I see in multiple threads.

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Is RPOs a new term being used for this team?  It's run-pass options right?  Is it more than that?  It seems to be something I see in multiple threads.

It's hot new jargon going everywhere throughout the industry. Announcers and draftnicks are all over it, so it's likely here to stay.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Hopefully not....but I do notice some of his running relates.....

Power....short choppy steps

I don't see it. Travis Henry ran very hard and had good speed, this guy breaks almost no tackles and isn't very fast at all, he's just full steam ahead and falls forward.

Based on his running style and the strengths I see, I think he could be a TD machine in the redzone though.

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Benjamin’s injury was because of Peterman? You have passed the point of absurdity. I understand you don’t like him, but don’t be ridiculous.

What’s next, are you going to blame him for global warming?

I was intrigued initially in preseason with Petermans quick throws until I realized to my great disappointment from the 50 yard line at New Era that he wasn't making post snap decisions he was just frantically flinging the ball to a spot based on a pre-snap read.    Reads that weren't always right.   I said it here then.   And when he got on the field in LA that's exactly what he did........frantically chucking the ball to spots........and YES that throw to KB was a poor choice based on a poor pre-snap read.   He threw it like he thought he had 15 yards to run when he had a safety bearing down on him.  You don't throw your #1 WR into a big hit for a short gain.  You RARELY see anyone make that kind of kill-shot-inducing throw anymore.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, PIZ said:

It is run pass option, which is packaging a passing option into run plays. Basically you have a running play, but one WR runs a pattern. It’s not a new concept but has always been used more in college, now it is infiltrating more into the nfl. There are different versions, Urban Meyer/chip kelly/Andy Reid. The reason it’s being talked about with the Bills is that Brian Daboll utilized them at Bama and Allen ran them at Wyoming. This is an example of urban’s  RPO but he uses the QB run a lot more thsn others as part of the packages 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/05/35850/runpass-combinations-tom-herman-edition%3famp

Edited by YoloinOhio