And now the plan is a lot clearer...

Three picks into the draft and I think Beane's plan for the Bills is coming into focus.  It's obviously a multi-year project, but talk of this upcoming season being a sacrifice or a wash is about as accurate as last season being a tank job.  The off-season and draft have helped reshape the roster, and the culture.  Players who were seen as problematic or lazy are being shipped off and replaced with solid, hard workers.  We passed on Rosen because he lacks the character that Buffalo is after.  Last season the Bills overachieved with a "Us vs. the World" mentality, with each player being a cog in the machine.  Beane and McD are looking for players with a matching mindset.  Rosen whined about not being picked in the top #3, Phillips makes it sound like he's unworthy to breath the same air as a player like Williams.  Character.

The plan for the future is rapidly shaping up as follows:

2018 - Same plan as 2017.  The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

2019 - Endgame.  With the defense far more secure, a vast amount of freed up FA money and Josh Allen ready to take the reigns...the Bills focus on offense, buying and drafting the tools to put around Allen so he can succeed.  The defense will still be the Mean Machine from 2018, but the offense will be shaped for Allen.  The team shifts from relying on that defense and hoping the offense can at least put up enough to win...and instead looks like a proper elite team which finally looks every bit as dangerous on the offensive side as it does on the defense.

...at least, that appears to be the plan.  Time will tell if it works.  I'm just excited we have a plan, rather then throwing darts at a dart board hoping something sticks.  What's more impressive is how this plan seems to be keeping us at least competitive even when rebuilding from rubbish.  We're going to be a better team this season then people expect.  After all these years it is wonderfully refreshing watching a front office with an actual plan, successful or not.

• Like (+1) 23
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Three picks into the draft and I think Beane's plan for the Bills is coming into focus.  It's obviously a multi-year project, but talk of this upcoming season being a sacrifice or a wash is about as accurate as last season being a tank job.  The off-season and draft have helped reshape the roster, and the culture.  Players who were seen as problematic or lazy are being shipped off and replaced with solid, hard workers.  We passed on Rosen because he lacks the character that Buffalo is after.  Last season the Bills overachieved with a "Us vs. the World" mentality, with each player being a cog in the machine.  Beane and McD are looking for players with a matching mindset.  Rosen whined about not being picked in the top #3, Phillips makes it sound like he's unworthy to breath the same air as a player like Williams.  Character.

2018 - Same plan as 2017.  The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

2019 - Endgame.  With the defense far more secure, a vast amount of freed up FA money and Josh Allen ready to take the reigns...the Bills focus on offense, buying and drafting the tools to put around Allen so he can succeed.  The defense will still be the Mean Machine from 2018, but the offense will be shaped for Allen.  The team shifts from relying on that defense and hoping the offense can at least put up enough to win...and instead looks like a proper elite team which finally looks every bit as dangerous on the offensive side as it does on the defense.

...at least, that appears to be the plan.  Time will tell if it works.  I'm just excited we have a plan, rather then throwing darts at a dart board hoping something sticks.  What's more impressive is how this plan seems to be keeping us at least competitive even when rebuilding from rubbish.  We're going to be a better team this season then people expect.  After all these years it is wonderfully refreshing watching a front office with an actual plan, successful or not.

They just keep doing what they've been doing...........I don't think it's any clearer.........but I do wonder how they are going to field anything resembling a competent offense this year with the personnel they have on that side of the ball..........if Daboll gets them even back where they were last year he might be in line for a HC job.:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

I think Buffalo did a hit job on Allen, I think they leaked Allen's racially insensitive tweets the day before the draft because they wanted him bad, he would have not fallen to 7 otherwise.

The Edmunds and Phillips selections were just way too obvious though, I think just about anybody could have made those selections. I don't think you can plan for a top 7 LB to fall down to 16 or a mid 2nd round DT to fall to us all the way at the bottom of the 3rd, you don't plan that. We just got extremely lucky and we have a GM that is very smart and capitalizes on opportunities.

Still, we got BPA at need areas with our first three picks, that is not from planning, that's luck.

Get a QB and build up the middle of the defense...

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Buffalo did a hit job on Allen, I think they leaked Allen's racially insensitive tweets the day before the draft because they wanted him bad, he would have not fallen to 7 otherwise.

The Edmunds and Phillips selections were just way too obvious though, I think just about anybody could have made those selections. I don't think you can plan for a top 7 LB to fall down to 16 or a mid 2nd round DT to fall to us all the way at the bottom of the 3rd, you don't plan that. We just got extremely lucky and we have a GM that is very smart and capitalizes on opportunities.

Still, we got BPA at need areas with our first three picks, that is not from planning, that's luck.

There is no possible way that Allen was BPA at pick 7 other than the fact he is a QB. If we are talking BPA in terms of football players Roquan Smith is a much better player than Allen is. Minkah Fitzpatrick is a much better player than Allen is...and so were several others at least.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Perhaps going to the Browns didn't appeal to Allen and he leaked them himself

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

There is no possible way that Allen was BPA at pick 7 other than the fact he is a QB. If we are talking BPA in terms of football players Roquan Smith is a much better player than Allen is. Minkah Fitzpatrick is a much better player than Allen is...and so were several others at least.

Hugely disagree. Most mocks I read leading up to the draft had Allen #1 to the Browns. I'll take Allen over Roquan and Minkah every time.

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

The Phillips pick was so obvious that 95 other teams passed on him before we took him. As far as you saying the Bills are lucky, well whats that saying? Good teams create their own luck? One could say that thats what McBeane have been doing

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Edna-Mode-Luck-favors-the-prepared.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, brianthomas said:

The Phillips pick was so obvious that 95 other teams passed on him before we took him. As far as you saying the Bills are lucky, well whats that saying? Good teams create their own luck? One could say that thats what McBeane have been doing

Could be. To me the Allen and Phillips pick I knew right away, it was at least obvious to me. 

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Could be. To me the Allen and Phillips pick I knew right away, it was at least obvious to me. 

Well at the time the Phillips pick made a lot of sense. Best player available at a position of need. Like other posters have mentioned, if this were the Bills of the past, they would've picked a player slated to go in the 6th round or something.  It's refreshing seeing their plan come into shape. Yes you can say we were lucky he fell to us, but we also were patient. They didnt panic by trading more draft capital to move up. They stayed where they were & waited, & were rewarded by him falling to us.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I prefer to think that they respectfully deferred to McDermott's alpha-ness so as not to anger him. 

They did their homework, followed their process, and let the draft come to them. I think it is correct to a point though. Get the defense strong now, so that next off-season with the big money, they can go build an offense in free agency for Allen. McCarron will basically have what Tyrod did last year. 

15 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Hugely disagree. Most mocks I read leading up to the draft had Allen #1 to the Browns. I'll take Allen over Roquan and Minkah every time.

Thats because you are wanting Allen to project out to what you hope he will be and not actually comparing actual football ability RIGHT NOW. Smith and Fitzpatrick are pretty much guaranteed pro bowlers year in and year out. Allen? He might be the next EJ Manuel.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Thats because you are wanting Allen to project out to what you hope he will be and not actually comparing actual football ability RIGHT NOW. Smith and Fitzpatrick are pretty much guaranteed pro bowlers year in and year out. Allen? He might be the next EJ Manuel.

You still gotta try to find them

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You have to compare potential too. It's not black and white. Why do you compare Allen to Manuel? They're nothing alike. Allen has a bigger arm, better release, more mobile etc. His floor is not Manuel, please don't use that comparison again.

Allen has a Cam Newton/Big Ben ceiling which is much better than Minkah Fitzpatrick or Roquan Smith. If it clicks for Allen we win Super Bowls, Fitz/Smith can be a ten time pro bowler and it wouldn't scratch the surface as far as Allen's potential.

All of a sudden if Allen develops, free agent WRs are going to line up to play here, superstars will want to be here, Allen will affect possibilities on the free agent market, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Roquan Smith will never have that pull.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They just keep doing what they've been doing...........I don't think it's any clearer.........but I do wonder how they are going to field anything resembling a competent offense this year with the personnel they have on that side of the ball..........if Daboll gets them even back where they were last year he might be in line for a HC job.:lol:

It's only April.  Some Vets will shake loose before camp starts; a couple players already on the team will improve.    They'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

It's hard to be optimistic about the offense.  They struggled last year and now the 2 best O-linemen are gone.  The last few years they ran the ball well to the left because that was the strength of the line.  Now they're all gone.  Our star running back is another year older and spent a lot of time last season having to dance in the backfield and losing yardage.  Our very mobile QB, who was able to make up for poor pass protection with his legs is gone.  Deonte Thompson gave the WR group a spark with speed and he's gone.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

It's hard to be optimistic about the offense.  They struggled last year and now the 2 best O-linemen are gone.  The last few years they ran the ball well to the left because that was the strength of the line.  Now they're all gone.  Our star running back is another year older and spent a lot of time last season having to dance in the backfield and losing yardage.  Our very mobile QB, who was able to make up for poor pass protection with his legs is gone.  Deonte Thompson gave the WR group a spark with speed and he's gone.

Whose said I was optimistic?  The plan for 2018 is to make the defense into a meat grinder that keeps us in the game while hoping our offense can score enough to win.  At this point I'm expecting a mediocre to good offense.  Remember, just 10 pts. would have gotten us a win vs. the Panthers and OT vs. the Jags.  I think our D is better then last year and think our current O, warts and all, still can put up at least 10 on anyone.

Edited by The Red King

Three picks into the draft and I think Beane's plan for the Bills is coming into focus.  It's obviously a multi-year project, but talk of this upcoming season being a sacrifice or a wash is about as accurate as last season being a tank job. 

AGREED

The off-season and draft have helped reshape the roster, and the culture.  Players who were seen as problematic or lazy are being shipped off and replaced with solid, hard workers.  We passed on Rosen because he lacks the character that Buffalo is after.  Last season the Bills overachieved with a "Us vs. the World" mentality, with each player being a cog in the machine.  Beane and McD are looking for players with a matching mindset.  Rosen whined about not being picked in the top #3, Phillips makes it sound like he's unworthy to breath the same air as a player like Williams.  Character.

AGREED

2018 - Same plan as 2017.

AGREED

The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

AGREED

2019 - Endgame.  With the defense far more secure, a vast amount of freed up FA money and Josh Allen ready to take the reigns...the Bills focus on offense, buying and drafting the tools to put around Allen so he can succeed. 

AGREED mostly.  But, I don't think we are going to go crazy in FA ever.  I think we will have similar plans in FA as the last two years and save our cap for resigning our players that excel in our system and help drive our culture.

The defense will still be the Mean Machine from 2018, but the offense will be shaped for Allen.  The team shifts from relying on that defense and hoping the offense can at least put up enough to win...and instead looks like a proper elite team which finally looks every bit as dangerous on the offensive side as it does on the defense.

I hope so and think so too.

AGREED and look forward to it.  We are not going to hit on all our players though, so, we can't expect the FO too hit on all the players.

Go Bills!

And, great post, thanks!

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Whose said I was optimistic?  The plan for 2018 is to make the defense into a meat grinder that keeps us in the game while hoping our offense can score enough to win.  At this point I'm expecting a mediocre to good offense.  Remember, just 10 pts. would have gotten us a win vs. the Panthers and OT vs. the Jags.  I think our D is better then last year and think our current O, warts and all, still can put up at least 10 on anyone.

A J McCarron is an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor in my humble opinion so I agree with you.

Granted McCarron still has to go out and prove me right... 

• Like (+1) 2

The offense was pretty terrible last year, so I'm not quite understanding your meaning.

We still have McCoy. He has basically been the only bright spot on offense. I'm assuming it will be more of the same with him and the occasional catch from Clay and the receivers.

We are one of the top regression candidates in the league.

I expect the 2018 results to be worse than 2017, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

The OP's comments about Rosen and character are bunk.

4 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

How will we ever make up for the loss of those 3 points in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I expect the 2018 results to be worse than 2017, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

When he opened his mouth and cried about going tenth he confirmed everything I thought about him.  Made me feel even better about the pick.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

When he opened his.mouth and cried about going tenth he confirmed everything I thought about him.  Made me feel even better about the pick.

When we look in 2 years and Rosen is a franchise QB with the keys to the cards offense, and Allen is either getting his 1st starts or lookin like hackenberg on the sidelines cuz he couldnt improve accuracy or read nfl defenses, will that after draft interview gimmick really matter? Hell no.

Talent does and coaching does.

Facts:

Rosen has a more developed talent as of now. 

Bills havent been able to develop a project QB in over 20 YEARS!!!

Allen might have a higher ceiling but ceilings arent guaranteed and Rosens floor is much higher than where JA is in his development rite now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

If so, they’re craftier than their popular image would indicate. Assuming of course Allen was their guy.

3 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

When we look in 2 years and Rosen is a franchise QB with the keys to the cards offense, and Allen is either getting his 1st starts or lookin like hackenberg on the sidelines cuz he couldnt improve accuracy or read nfl defenses, will that after draft interview gimmick really matter? Hell no.

Talent does and coaching does.

Facts:

Rosen has a more developed talent as of now. 

Bills havent been able to develop a project QB in over 20 YEARS!!!

Allen might have a higher ceiling but ceilings arent guaranteed and Rosens floor is much higher than where JA is in his development rite now.

What front office do you work for.

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I hope that the Bills aren't responsible for those tweets being leaked, partly because I hope that Beane is not an outright bald-face liar.

Partly because IMHO it's a scummy thing to do.  A Patriots*** like thing to do.  Or maybe Miami.  Don't trust a marine mammal.

Mostly because if their plan was to trade up, I don't think they needed to.  Didn'yt Beane say they got him 2 slots lower than they were trying to trade initially?

The Press apparently had the Mayfield flick correct.  If that's the case, assume the Bills knew it too.

The Giants were always all about Barkley.

The Jets were said to want Mayfield, if not him Darnold or Rosen - again, if the press knew, assume the Bills knew.

After that we have the Browns and 2 teams who who weren't going to draft a QB, certainly not if top talent at other positions was available

So I don't think the draft order changed much for Allen nor the Bills plan.  They knew that as soon as it got to a team that was willing to trade, they weren't the only ones who would be in the market.  If they really thought they were going to make him fall, why would they have to trade up so high?

The telling point to me, is that for months some folks here have been saying that teams are far higher on Allen than fans and some media pundits.  Who are you folks, come out and take a bow. 

Of course, other media pundits who had him as a #1 or 2 pick were wrong.

38 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

When he opened his mouth and cried about going tenth he confirmed everything I thought about him.  Made me feel even better about the pick.

Give me a break.  If it were Mayfield, it would show he's competitive, edgy, and fiesty and how much he really loves the game and wants to be great.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd just like to add that after this awesome 2018 Draft which is already a success IMO, we still have all of our picks for 2019. Now who would have thought we would have Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds and all of our 2019 Draft picks? That is a job well done. The Bills staff deserves a few ice cold beers after today.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

No they are not.  And it has been on full display over the past few days not to mention there is a reason why many qb starved teams passed on him, hell even Arizona wanted Allen over him. :lol:

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope that the Bills aren't responsible for those tweets being leaked, partly because I hope that Beane is not an outright bald-face liar.

Partly because IMHO it's a scummy thing to do.  A Patriots*** like thing to do.  Or maybe Miami.  Don't trust a marine mammal.

Mostly because if their plan was to trade up, I don't think they needed to.  Didn'yt Beane say they got him 2 slots lower than they were trying to trade initially?

The Press apparently had the Mayfield flick correct.  If that's the case, assume the Bills knew it too.

The Jets were said to want Mayfield, if not him Darnold or Rosen - again, if the press knew, assume the Bills knew.

After that we have the Browns and 2 teams who who weren't going to draft a QB, certainly not if top talent at other positions was available

So I don't think the draft order changed much for Allen nor the Bills plan.  They knew that as soon as it got to a team that was willing to trade, they weren't the only ones who would be in the market.  If they really thought they were going to make him fall, why would they have to trade up so high?

The telling point to me, is that for months some folks here have been saying that teams are far higher on Allen than fans and some media pundits.  Who are you folks, come out and take a bow. 

Give me a break.  If it were Mayfield, it would show he's competitive, edgy, and fiesty and how much he really loves the game and wants to be great.

I read somewhere that the Bills were in a bidding war with the Bucs with the cardinals because they wanted Allen, which is why they paid a premium for the #7 pick.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he slipped out of the top ten I would agree.  But I believe he was passed over because of injury concerns.  He is a concussion waiting to happen.  I believe his comments are just a show for the camera.  He is an attention seeking little pipsqueak.  

I don't believe Mayfield would have said that.  He likely would have thought that, but ultimately would not have said that.

The best QB in this draft went 1st overall and the second best went at 7.  From everything I'm reading AZ wanted Allen.

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If he slipped out of the top ten I would agree.  But I believe he was passed over because of injury concerns.  He is a concussion waiting to happen.  I believe his comments are just a show for the camera.  He is an attention seeking little pipsqueak.  

I don't believe Mayfield would have said that.  He likely would have thought that, but ultimately would not have said that.

The best QB in this draft went 1st overall and the second best went at 7.  From everything I'm reading AZ wanted Allen.

Time will tell on all these things. 

Based on what I've seen of Mayfield behavior in interviews, I don't believe your belief that he wouldn't have said such stuff has much basis in reality.

Time will tell where the best QB were drafted.

The ‘Process’ I see is building through the middle 1st. Yes, the unexpected retirements of Wood and Ritchie have to be addressed, but otherwise:

RB

QB

C/G

DT

MLB

S

are already quality, if not excellent. I expect growing pains this year, but clear indications of great things to come.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

And there is no way Mayfield is the best player in the draft!   Give me a break with this line of thinking.   Teams draft for needs and best fit at the top of the board.   #7 best player of course wasn't Allen but he was the best player that buffalo needed still on the board.   

37 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

And there is no way Mayfield is the best player in the draft!   Give me a break with this line of thinking.   Teams draft for needs and best fit at the top of the board.   #7 best player of course wasn't Allen but he was the best player that buffalo needed still on the board.   

Right on.  I never did buy into the "BPA....BPA...." stuff Nix always liked to talk.  You don't want to reach for a player in general, but QB in the NFL is a different hoss.

And at the end of the day, to build a competitive roster, you have to consider what you need.