No matter what you think - Beane got exactly who he wanted

Bakin

I hope it works out for us...really do. 

But what I respect about our GM is that he went out there and GOT THE DAMN PLAYERS HE WANTED. 

Allen wasn’t my first choice and like most here I thought Rosen would be the better pick. 

Obviously Beane didn’t think the same. He could have taken Rosen. He saw something he didn’t like or saw something he preferred in Allen. His hand wasn’t forced. He got what he wanted. 

The cost?  Meh...who knows what is going on behind the scenes and who’s trying to trade up for whom...I wish we had 53 56 and 65 but Beane went after the number one LB and QB on his boards. Respect. 

I was in favour of holding. It wouldn’t have worked out, likely. Maybe Allen would have been there at 12. Maybe not. 

I give props to Beane for going and getting the players he wanted. 

Looking forward to the QB competition and September can’t get here soon enough!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Rosen has had 2 concussions already.  Definitely an issue in the NFL.  Allen has the most upside and Beane is looking to make a dent.  He must have confidence here.  We are not talking about a guy who was rumored to be falling past anything lower than the middle of the first round, and in those mocks other QBs often feel even further.   Let's take a deep breath.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Bakin said:

But what I respect about our GM is that he went out there and GOT THE DAMN PLAYERS HE WANTED. 

Allen wasn’t my first choice and like most here I thought Rosen would be the better pick. 

Obviously Beane didn’t think the same. He could have taken Rosen. He saw something he didn’t like or saw something he preferred in Allen. His hand wasn’t forced. He got what he wanted. 

The cost?  Meh...who knows what is going on behind the scenes and who’s trying to trade up for whom...I wish we had 53 56 and 65 but Beane went after the number one LB and QB on his boards. Respect. 

I was in favour of holding. It wouldn’t have worked out, likely. Maybe Allen would have been there at 12. Maybe not. 

Dolphins would have likely taken a QB, but we will always wonder....(unless the Dolphins GM discloses it).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fadingpain said:

To the OP;  how in hell do you know Beane got what he wanted?

How do we know this wasn't Plan B, or even C?

There were a number of unexpected picks in the first 10.

I highly doubt he'd have moved up at all if this wasn't exactly who he wanted. He got his man, plain and simple. 

• Like (+1) 2

Great night for Beane. Perhaps Allen is there at #12, maybe the Dolphins take him at #11.  Good call on the move. Tremaine Edmunds was a friggin steal at #16. Wish we still had our two’s, but thats the cost of doing business. 

Bucs were huge winners too

We only know that they had Allen rated higher than Rosen, Rudolph, Jackson, and whoever else gets drafted at QB this year. 

We do NOT know if they had Allen rated higher than Mayfield or Darnold. It's a moot point now.

Just now, RFL said:

Great night for Beane. Perhaps Allen is there at #12, maybe the Dolphins take him at #11.  Good call on the move. Tremaine Edmunds was a friggin steal at #16. Wish we still had our two’s, but thats the cost of doing business. 

Bucs were huge winners too

Just look at it as QB in 1st, LB in 2nd. Still have 6 picks left.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Simple. 

Mayfield and Darnold were simply not available. Even if they were his PLAN A or B. 

Couldn’t get them no matter what. 

And so I’m pretty sure Allen was their top choice. 

So they went and got him. And not Rosen. 

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I do believe he got who he wanted as well. Possibly he would have taken Darnold over Allen but I doubt Mayfield.

Not even. 

Giants were not trading the pick. This was already reported. 

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

We only know that they had Allen rated higher than Rosen, Rudolph, Jackson, and whoever else gets drafted at QB this year. 

We do NOT know if they had Allen rated higher than Mayfield or Darnold. It's a moot point now.

But we do know we had zero shot at either Baker or Sam. 

3 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

So if Allen is Beane's guy, does Beane get fired if Allen is a bust?

Maybe. 

Will you give him more than 4 games to find out?

1 minute ago, Bakin said:

Not even. 

That has nothing to do with who Beane would have preferred if he had his choice.

Allen was their top choice for who was left on the board. Obviously, because they took him. But we will never know if he was their top choice overall. I believe he was over Mayfield for sure though.

5 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

That's typically how it works for every team. So yeah.

8 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Darnold

Allen

Rosen

The rest

Probably

I think this was a situation where he would have been more than willing to give up three first round picks for Darnold

But just because he didn’t make the trade doesn’t mean he didn’t get his guy you follow your draft board and it looks like been did that he got his future signal color without giving up 22 and next years first then he turns around and gets what looks like on paper a perfect middle linebacker for his defense kudos bean

5 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Simple. 

Mayfield and Darnold were simply not available. Even if they were his PLAN A or B. 

Couldn’t get them no matter what. 

And so I’m pretty sure Allen was their top choice. 

So they went and got him. And not Rosen. 

Not even. 

But we do know we had zero shot at either Baker or Sam. 

Maybe. 

Will you give him more than 4 games to find out?

Definitely.  I just see this as Beane's signature move.  Hopefully it works out, but the fact is that there will probably only be one starter on the field this year from this draft. 

This high-risk/high-reward move is more in line with Whaley's GM style than the methodical approach McDermott and Beane have been selling.

17 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I'd guess that they may have given up the farm for one guy, and that guy went first. Otherwise, they probably get to pick 2 , as Beane had indicated he felt was reachable. They met with Mayfield at least 4 times. So I think he waited until he felt AZ or MIA was too much of a threat. He played his hand well imo, but I question the pick. A lot. 

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That has nothing to do with who Beane would have preferred if he had his choice.

Allen was their top choice for who was left on the board. Obviously, because they took him. But we will never know if he was their top choice overall. I believe he was over Mayfield for sure though.

I think it was Mayfield. Once he was gone, it was a waiting game. Get the price down but don't get jumped by the Cardinals or whomever. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe Darnold was #1 on their board, and not sure where Mayfield and Allen were.

I never saw it before, but Darnold sure seemed like a meathead in his interviews. 

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I never saw it before, but Darnold sure seemed like a meathead in his interviews. 

True. The turnovers concerned me as well. Small hands? Idk, I feel the Bills would have taken Darnold if they had the choice of Darnold, Rosen and Allen. Maybe I'm wrong, though. 

He better hope his accuracy history can improve. It sure held true with Manuel - what we saw from him in college held true in the bigs. The disgusted looks from the WRs, the overthrown balls, the confused looks. All the size, all the eagerness to learn, all the arm. 

No ability to hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle.

We got clowned. 

Again.

While Allen was likely not our number 1, there are reports we tried to move up to 4 and had a deal in place for 5, so we do know that the bills liked Allen enough to try to move up as high as 4. Allen may not work out, but what I wanted was for our gm to be excited enough about a qb choice that we would make a move. Seems silly, but I’m much happier/more confident with Allen being drafted in a trade up and ahead of Rosen than I would have been if we just drafted Allen at 12 as the only “big 4” qb left.

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

one of the 2 Josh's would've been there at 12. Even if the Cardinals traded up. The trade up for Tre was amazing but the cost for a qb who was destined to fall after that tweet exposure was far too great. 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

one of the 2 Josh's would've been there at 12. Even if the Cardinals traded up. The trade up for Tre was amazing but the cost for a qb who was destined to fall after that tweet exposure was far too great. 

Agree here - even if you made the move to beat the Cards AND Mijami, which I get, the incorrect Josh was selected. 

We’ll be selecting a QB again in April of 21. 

Witn new management. Again. 

Allen was absolutely their #1 guy for Buffalo. Prior to the draft Beane told a reporter there was "someone", singular, "SOMEONE" that he would trade up for. She clarified with him, "someones? or SOMEONE" and he said, "someone." I wouldn't doubt it that the Bills were the ones who leaked the tweets to get him to fall as far as they felt they could to get him. In the post-draft interview Beane said as far as he knew no teams knew about the tweets. Sounds like he's covering his tracks.

Edited by Herc11

1 hour ago, Murdox said:

Rosen has had 2 concussions already.  Definitely an issue in the NFL.  Allen has the most upside and Beane is looking to make a dent.  He must have confidence here.  We are not talking about a guy who was rumored to be falling past anything lower than the middle of the first round, and in those mocks other QBs often feel even further.   Let's take a deep breath.

bingo. no one seems to be talking concussion. a couple more  concussions for rosen could mean he is out of the league. A LOT of teams passed on him..incl Denver .

Mayfield is the surest thing in this QB field.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yes, but considering that Mayfield and Darnold were out of the question going into tonight, they got their guy.

Plus if you read into what Beane has been saying for a while now, Allen was his prototypical QB that he's been wanting.

1 hour ago, Perry Turtle said:

Depends on how bad he plays, how bad the team plays and if he is able to draft another QB that he is able to hit on.

As of right now, Beane has been looking good with many of the moves he's made.  The thought that his job is in danger is a thought that goes through the minds of the nincompoops of this board.

• Like (+1) 1