GMFB talk Bills draft (how to get QB)

They said Ryan Fitzpatrick was a good QB, but he was somebody else’s backup. Tyrod Taylor was a good QB, but he was someone else’s backup. Aj McCarron is a good QB, you get the picture. They said in 2004 we waited and got the fourth QB and that obviously was a mistake. We need to get to 2

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

They said Ryan Fitzpatrick was a good QB, but he was somebody else’s backup. Tyrod Taylor was a good QB, but he was someone else’s backup. Aj McCarron is a good QB, you get the picture. They said in 2004 we waited and got the fourth QB and that obviously was a mistake. We need to get to 2

In fairness, in 2004, we wouldn't have had to move up any higher than 10 to get franchise QB (and imo, that 4th out of 3 is looking likely to be drafted as early as 1st right now). 

3 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Trade up to 6 then trade to 2. Give the colts both 1sts and a 2nd then give the Giants our number 1 next year.

Thats what they put forward.

Did they say who they thought the Bills would draft in this scenario? 

17 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Trade up to 6 then trade to 2. Give the colts both 1sts and a 2nd then give the Giants our number 1 next year.

If this is what they put forward, that show should be off the air.

I like this idea less and less as the off-season has played out. I think Darnold goes 1. Go to 5 or 6 and get Rosen (he’s my guy anyways). Preserve your 2019 pick because this team isn’t going to be great. Offer the Colts 12, 53, 65 and a 2019 4th. That’s more than enough. You still get your QB, LB, WR and OL before pick 100.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like this idea less and less as the off-season has played out. I think Darnold goes 1. Go to 5 or 6 and get Rosen (he’s my guy anyways). Preserve your 2019 pick because this team isn’t going to be great. Offer the Colts 12, 53, 65 and a 2019 4th. That’s more than enough. You still get your QB, LB, WR and OL before pick 100.

Can't see the Colts accepting for such little value. Switch out either 53 or 65 with 22 and I can see that trade happening.

33 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Funny because it's true. Sadly.

I'm pretty sure Brandt is actually fond of the Bills if not a fan. Ditto, Schrager, but with him, it's empathy because if memory serves, he's a lifelong Browns fan.

59 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

This is a phenomenal post.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Why do you say that? It seems reasonable to me for the circumstances of this draft.

Why give up a #1 next year?  Pretty expensive, as well as a risk, given how many other positions need to be addressed.  I can see fans in a chat site talking like this, but the GMFB hosts shouldn't get as caught up in the QB hype.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If any way possible to preserve the 22nd and get a MLB and still get our QB that would be one hell of a job by our GM.

This ties in nicely with what Peter king said this am...

• There will be some trades in this draft that might seem one-sided. Several team officials told me in the past few days that they value Day 2 picks (rounds two and three) so highly that they’d be willing to take slightly less in compensation to move down. Where could this come into play? Cleveland (four), Indianapolis (six), Baltimore (16), Seattle (18), New England (23, 31), New Orleans (27), Philadelphia (32). “This is not your typical draft,” said one veteran club official Sunday. “The second, third and even fourth rounds are gold. You can take less than the trade-value chart says and still make a very good trade if you get multiple picks in those rounds.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Nick Foles, Super Bowl winning QB, was somebody else's backup.  Jimmy Garrapolo, who everybody is going nuts over, etc etc etc.

• Like (+1) 2

This is where I've been for a while now. This team isn't a QB away from constant playoff seasons. Where we are at now we need that QB, but also 2 solid drafts and a nice FA crop between them. Beane will make a move IMO but he is building a team and needs to find the best value. 

Thursday can't come soon enough.

20 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Metro sexual morning football is hardly the place to go for Bills or any other football info.  It makes the old Mike and Mike show look hardcore.

This would be wrong. Schrager actually has insight and doesn't just take uneducated dumps on the team like the rest of the national media. 

2 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Did they say who they thought the Bills would draft in this scenario? 

i don’t  think so.

17 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I'd rather watch the View than those millennial scum who think that they know football

They know very little but it’s between them and ESPN who only pimps the NBA.

Not interested in basketball to the degree they discuss it.

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Can't see the Colts accepting for such little value. Switch out either 53 or 65 with 22 and I can see that trade happening.

I think that we’ve lost sight of what trades cost. The Bills are paying a big premium in that case: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Getting a good QB in the draft ?

It's at best, about a 5% success rate and dependent mostly on luck (not Andrew, who may never play again and why Indy may be in play for a QB).

Getting a good QB to come to Buffalo in Free Agency?

It's at best about a 0% success rate. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why (other than good QBs don’t hit the market often)? The Bills though have always recruited well in free agency.

Mainly the first part. But when they do - we aren't even an afterthought. Small market and a small history of success equate to them looking elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mainly the first part. But when they do - we aren't even an afterthought. Small market and a small history of success equate to them looking elsewhere.

That hasn’t been the case with other free agents. They go where they get paid. It’s irrelevant anyways because no good QBs are hitting FA.

3 hours ago, dlonce said:

LOL, you'll need to give up a lot more than that to get to #2 And likely you'll have given up more than just 12 and 22 t o get to 6, probably throw in a second round pick.  Then throw in our other 2nd and maybe both 3rds to get to #2. 

The Giants are rumored to have already said NO to three first rounders, why would they consider this? 

1 hour ago, Ifartalot said:

Getting a good QB in the draft ?

It's at best, about a 5% success rate and dependent mostly on luck (not Andrew, who may never play again and why Indy may be in play for a QB).

•  

The Colts drafting a quarterback would be earth shattering news. That would mean that they think Luck is a dead duck. Changes everything. However, I haven’t heard one little peep  of information along these lines. At this point, I find this to be very unlikely. But, who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And every other team in the league.....but anyway

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/splits/

The Bills have beaten Brady only twice in games that matter. He's 28-3 against us when he starts. Compare that to the Dolphins and Jets whom he is 21-10 and 25-7 against respectively. He's human against Denver and Kansas City, 7-6 and 4-3 winning records against them respectively. Throwing out the teams that are 0-4 and 0-5 against Brady we have the worst winning percentage against Brady.

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/splits/

The Bills have beaten Brady only twice in games that matter. He's 28-3 against us when he starts. Compare that to the Dolphins and Jets whom he is 21-10 and 25-7 against respectively. He's human against Denver and Kansas City, 7-6 and 4-3 winning records against them respectively. Throwing out the teams that are 0-4 and 0-5 against Brady we have the worst winning percentage against Brady.

feel better now?