Rob Johnson is still bitter after 20 years

54 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Johnson was the better QB, bottom line.

How so? Again an outsider, but who takes a QB that is winning out? The Patriots has a similar deal between Bledsoe and Brady, and Bledsoe had just signed a very lucrative contract to be the Pats QB for years to come. But they stuck with Brady since they were winning even though Bledsoe was ready to go by the end of the year. (Yes yes I’m home site it was a no brained but at the time very similar circumstances)

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

They traded a 1 and a 4 for him and gave him a $25M contract, so I would say yeah.

And then they signed Mighty Mouse.  I'd say no, they were not.

Edited by T-Bomb
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

Johnson was the better QB, bottom line.

The thing which made RJ not even a reasonable player was the simple fact he defined the label "Injury-prone".

The objective standard I use to define a player as deserving this moniker is when he misses 2 starts per season for consecutive seasons for injuries which differ from each other.

In his time here RJ suffered a series of injuries which were downright bizarre at times (he fell on the edge of the football during one sack painfully separating muscle from his sternum, he was unable to play also due to muscle pulls, concussions and other maladies.

If anyone is to blame for our QB problems it was Ralph for:

1. Promising Flutie he would win/lose his QB shot on the field then signing RJ to a guaranteed contract.

2. Giving RJ the guaranteed deal instead of requiring him  to at least prove he was a reliable athlete by playing and producing for 3 or 4 games.  Having some cajones would have cost RW a couple of million if he waited to sign him but it would have saved the team.

3. When Flutie hit all of his bonuses which not only raised our cap hit for his first season, they rolled into his base salary forcing the Bills to sign him longterm, killing our cap as we overpaid 2 QNs.

4.  He made an illegal handshake deal with Jimbo  to reward the FA in his "next" contract only to see Jim concussed out of the NFL and then rush TC into a starting role before was ready.

5, Desperately trade for BJ Hobert

6,7, 8, 9, etc.

As far as Flutie vs. RJ, NEITHER  was a franchise QB, but the FACTS are

A.  RJ was an injury prone athlete who got hurt too much to be a competent starter

B.  Like it or not Flutie was good enough to hit every contract incentive here.

These are facts which cannot be disputed intelligently.

• Like (+1) 2

Without commenting too much on the QB's themselves I always thought the Bills were stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think they wanted to commit to RJ completely as soon as possible to see what they had. BUT he goes down with injury, Flutie comes in and starts winning and not just winning but crazy exciting games that energize the area plus mix in his story and how do you take him out if your the Bills. Additionally from my understanding (I was 10 during this) Flutie really helped re-energize the region for them team and save the team in terms of renovations to the stadium. There was no way he wasn't starting in 1999. The rest from there seemed poetically cruel in an unjust way with Flutie leading the team to 10-5 only to see Johnson have a career day and have the team winning in the playoffs when he leaves the field.

Truthfully if they really wanted to see what they had in Johnson they probably should've traded or cut Flutie after 98 but no way that would've ever happened.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rob Johnson is pathetic.

But in his defense, he didn't twinkle-toe his way out of bounds without even trying to throw it on 4th down with the game on the line...

Thus, he is 2nd most pathetic, after trent

Um ... the Bills were down 34-7 when Edwards did that move.

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

How so? Again an outsider, but who takes a QB that is winning out? The Patriots has a similar deal between Bledsoe and Brady, and Bledsoe had just signed a very lucrative contract to be the Pats QB for years to come. But they stuck with Brady since they were winning even though Bledsoe was ready to go by the end of the year. (Yes yes I’m home site it was a no brained but at the time very similar circumstances)

To be fair, assuming you're a New Englander as your name implies, the BC tribalism is evident in your defense of the Flu-Man.  :D

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

There's two types of people in this world.

Pro-Flutie people - and people with good observation skills.

I did not know you are the ultimate Flutie groupie.

You must be since you have the worst observation skills being blind and deaf (or post like you do). 

Supposedly you know something about baseball but since I'd rather watch grass grow I do not know if it is true.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

There's two types of people in this world.

Pro-Flutie people - and people with good observation skills.

Actually, that's one type of person.  Anyone with observation skills would know that Flutie was the proper choice :D

• Haha (+1) 1

Flutie accomplished more in his pro football career (CFL and NFL) than Johnson could dream of.

Every football fan knows Doug Flutie. Rob Johnson is a footnote in the history of a team that hasn't been relevant outside of WNY in a generation.

Advantage Flutie. They even made a Football Life episode about him. I think they might have mentioned Rob in Flutie's episode for a few minutes.

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ya lol he did was win everywhere he went, even Buffalo. But he just sucked.. I mean I know he wasn’t the greatest QB but since Kelly can you name one QB for Buffalo that was better?  (I’m honestly asking because I as an outsider can’t think of one better. Maybe Bledsoe but he was washed up by the time he got to Buffalo.)

2001 -San Diego. Started all 16 games. Team went 5-2 through the first 7 games, then promptly lost 9 straight to finish 5-11.

That's some kind of winning there.

During that 9 game losing stretch, DF threw 8 TDs and 15 picks, including 0 TD, 3 pick performance against the Raiders.

When questioned about the 3 picks, DF blamed the field conditions for one (WR slipped trying to reach back for a poorly thrown ball), a "lazy" DT on a another (DT played contained and plugged the passing lane. DF hit the DT right in the chest), and actually took responsibility for the third.

During the same 9 game losing stretch, DF did an interview where his poor play came up.

He denied he was playing poorly,  and could not believe people actually thought he was.

Why? Because he was third in the public portion of the pro bowl voting :lol:.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Cynical said:

2001 -San Diego. Started all 16 games. Team went 5-2 through the first 7 games, then promptly lost 9 straight to finish 5-11.

That's some kind of winning there.

During that 9 game losing stretch, DF threw 8 TDs and 15 picks, including 0 TD, 3 pick performance against the Raiders.

When questioned about the 3 picks, DF blamed the field conditions for one (WR slipped trying to reach back for a poorly thrown ball), a "lazy" DT on a another (DT played contained and plugged the passing lane. DF hit the DT right in the chest), and actually took responsibility for the third.

During the same 9 game losing stretch, DF did an interview where his poor play came up.

He denied he was playing poorly,  and could not believe people actually thought he was.

Why? Because he was third in the public portion of the pro bowl voting :lol:.

1 win in 2000 to 5 wins in 2001. Nice improvement.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, Charles Romes said:

Does RJ even know he's the all time NFL leader in sack per drop back percentage - an astonishing 14.8% rate - and that it's not even close for second place.  They had to invent a whole new QBR after he single handedly exposed the sack flaw in the standard rating system. 

I can't find any documentation of this, but I'd swear Johnson once commented about taking sacks because it was better for his QB rating than throwing an incompletion.  The way he's still talking about his superior stats, 20 years later, makes it seem pretty likely.

13 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Rob Johnson career ended in 2003 at the age of 30. Flutie played until 2005 at the age of 43.

Because RJ didn't get to play in the USFL or the CFL to develop his game. At the time I thought RJ was better than Flutie. Looking back I can say he wasn't yet if could do it all over I would have played RJ in 1998 and 1999 to show he wasn't good enough to be our next great QB cause truth is niether one was.

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Because RJ didn't get to play in the USFL or the CFL to develop his game. At the time I thought RJ was better than Flutie. Looking back I can say he wasn't yet if could do it all over I would have played RJ in 1998 and 1999 to show he wasn't good enough to be our next great QB cause truth is niether one was.

He was a back up in Jacksonville for 3 yrs before he went to Buffalo. The Bills traded a 1 and a 4 for him on the basis of one successful start. He was a 4thcrd draft pick. He had a 34% winning percentage with Buffalo and led the league in sacks to dropback ratio.

Edited by Sky Diver

7 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

He was a back up in Jacksonville for 3 yrs before he went to Buffalo. The Bills traded a 1 and a 4 for him on the basis of one successful start. He was a 4thcrd draft pick. He had a 34% winning percentage with Buffalo and led the league in sacks to dropback ratio.

Yes, you've stated that several times in this thread. My point being with niether of them good enough is had we let RJ play in 1998 and 1999 we could have looked to replace them sooner than later. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Yes, you've stated that several times in this thread. My point being with niether of them good enough is had we let RJ play in 1998 and 1999 we could have looked to replace them sooner than later. 

Flutie had a 70% winning percentage record with Buffalo. By comparison, Aaron Rodgers' winning percentage with GB is 66.7%.

The problem is the Bills way over committed to RJ and were stuck with him even though he stunk. When they turned overt he reins to him in 2001 he went 3 - 13. After that he was gone.

Edited by Sky Diver

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie had a 70% winning percentage record with Buffalo. By comparison, Aaron Rodgers' winning percentage with GB is 66.7%.

The problem is the Bills way over committed to RJ and were stuck with him even though he stunk. When they turned overt he reins to him in 2001 he went 3 - 13. After that he was gone.

Now I think I get it.  Flutie > Rodgers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

In 1999, when Futile started 15 games, the Bills had the #2 defense in the league.  In 2001, the Bills had the 29th ranked defense.  But, yeah ... let's say that Flutie is the one who was responsible for the 70% winning percentage and that RJ was responsible for the Bills going 3-13.  That makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In 1999, when Futile started 15 games, the Bills had the #2 defense in the league.  In 2001, the Bills had the 29th ranked defense.  But, yeah ... let's say that Flutie is the one who was responsible for the 70% winning percentage and that RJ was responsible for the Bills going 3-13.  That makes sense.

Flutie was 8 - 3 in 1998 and Johnson was 2 - 3. Flutie made the Pro-Bowl that year.

Flutie was 10 - 5 in 1999.

Flutie was 4 - 1 in 2000, Johnson was 4 - 7.

In 2001, Johnson was 3 - 13.

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie was 8 - 3 in 1998 and Johnson was 2 - 3. Flutie made the Pro-Bowl that year.

Flutie was 10 - 5 in 1999.

Flutie was 4 - 1 in 2000, Johnson was 4 - 7.

In 2001, Johnson was 3 - 13.

Pro Bowl.  Heh.  Now, I'm out.  Enjoy your crusade for a QB who played 20 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Also comeback player of the year in 1998.

So what? The 1998 version of Flutie was far better than the 1999 version. As Belechick with the Jets, developed a game plan to limit Doug's effectiveness and/or he just hit a wall. The 1999 offense was less than great and RJ seemingly ignited it in the Colts finale, that's why Ralph wanted RJ in the playoff game against Tennessee. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1