Rob Johnson is still bitter after 20 years

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

He entered the NFL too late, and he may be one of the very few players, ever, who was genuinely hampered by a measurable such as height.

He truly was too short/small a guy.  If you took everything else he had and put it into a 6'4" 225 lb. body, the dude would have been one of the greats.

He didn't enter the NFL late. He was drafted by the Rams, who traded him to the Bears. He played in the NFL from 1986 to 1989, before going to the CFL.

I agree though, if he were 6-7 inches taller and about 50 pounds heavier, he could very well have been fantastic.

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Terrible comparison, but Flutie had 8 4th Quarter comeback wins and Taylor had 3.

Did you actually see Flutie play?

The Bills went 3 - 13 the year after Flutie left. How dos that make Bills players feel?

What does this have to do with him being a bum teammate?  

Did they go 3-13 specifically because Flutie left?  Did it have anything to do with a new coach? New GM?  Significant roster change?

12 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Terrible comparison, but Flutie had 8 4th Quarter comeback wins and Taylor had 3.

The Bills went 3 - 13 the year after Flutie left. How dos that make Bills players feel?

Flutie went 5-11 with the Chargers in 2001.

I think that some of these posters might not actually remember Johnson correctly. I’ve wanted to destroy my television set watching every QB since Kelly, but none were as obnoxious as Johnson. For those of you who don’t seem to remember correctly; Johnson was an extraordinarily talented QB who simply stood in the pocket taking sack after sack.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I think that some of these posters might not actually remember Johnson correctly. I’ve wanted to destroy my television set watching every QB since Kelly, but none were as obnoxious as Johnson. For those of you who don’t seem to remember correctly; Johnson was an extraordinarily talented QB who simply stood in the pocket taking sack after sack.  

It is funny how people perceive of things differently.

My take:

Notwithstanding that Johnson's mom was a Buffalonian and he showed courage by taking a beating for the team and the fans, there was a certain segment of our "fans" that actually stood up and cheered at a home game when RJ got hurt.

I was never more embarrassed to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

Prior to that, I thought that we had some of the best fans in all of sports. After that, I thought that we still had some great fans, but a large segment were really no better than any other city . . . and those that cheered an injury to one of our own were about as low as you could go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

My take:

Notwithstanding that Johnson's mom was a Buffalonian and he showed courage by taking a beating for the team and the fans, there was a certain segment of our "fans" that actually stood up and cheered at a home game when RJ got hurt.

Prior to that, I thought that we had some of the best fans in all of sports. After that, I thought that we still had some great fans, but a large segment were really no better than any other city . . . and those that cheered an injury to one of our own were about as low as you could go.

Never heard that Johnson’s mom was from Buffalo. Inside info? Or did you read that somewhere? Johnson wouldn’t have had to ever take such a beating if he had any pocket awareness. QB’s get hit and sustain injuries, but Johnson’s pocket awareness was among the worst I’ve ever seen. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Never heard that Johnson’s mom was from Buffalo. Inside info? Or did you read that somewhere? 

A lot of people did not seem to know that for some reason.  

I recall reading about the Buffalo connection when we acquired him.  As I recall, she spent some of her years growing up in WNY.  

1 minute ago, Peter said:

A lot of people did not seem to know that for some reason.  

I recall reading about the Buffalo connection when we acquired him.  As I recall, she spent some of her years growing up in WNY.  

I find it shocking that we didn’t hear about this fact Ad naseum. 

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I find it shocking that we didn’t hear about this fact Ad naseum. 

Me too.

I was surprised at how vitriolic some in our fan base were regarding him. They never seemed to ever give the guy any benefit of the doubt.  I think that the Bills would have been better off with one or the other.  With both, we had a civil war.

Edited by Peter

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I don’t condone cheering when a player is injured, but it was a reflection of how truly awful Johnson was.

On this we disagree.

I believe that, if we had an offensive line that was better in pass protection, he would have been just fine for us.  As it was, he had some good games for us and, I think, at one time (perhaps still) he holds a Bills record for completion percentage or something like that.  "Truly awful" does not accurately describe RJ's ability and betrays your bias.

In any event, I admired his courage and dedication to the team notwithstanding the incessant abuse he took from some who seemed to be Flutie fans more than they were Buffalo Bills fans.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

How did he manage to have a 70% winning percentage while destroying the locker room? It sounds nothing short of miraculous if true.

He had the top defense in the league holding opposing offenses to like 10-13 points per game.  That's how.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Never heard that Johnson’s mom was from Buffalo. Inside info? Or did you read that somewhere? Johnson wouldn’t have had to ever take such a beating if he had any pocket awareness. QB’s get hit and sustain injuries, but Johnson’s pocket awareness was among the worst I’ve ever seen. 

His mother is from Hamburg. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

My take:

+100000

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

On this we disagree.

I believe that, if we had an offensive line that was better in pass protection, he would have been just fine for us.  As it was, he had some good games for us and, I think, at one time (perhaps still) he holds a Bills record for completion percentage or something like that.  "Truly awful" does not accurately describe RJ's ability and betrays your bias.

In any event, I admired his courage and dedication to the team notwithstanding the incessant abuse he took from some who seemed to be Flutie fans more than they were Buffalo Bills fans.

Just my two cents.

I don’t care where Johnson’s mother was born in Hamburg or that Flutie was allegedly a bad guy.

The objective fact was that Flutie had a 70% winnning percentage with Buffalo and Johnson had a 34.5% winning percentage.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I don’t care where Johnson’s mother was born in Hamburg or that Flutie was allegedly a bad guy.

The objective fact was that Flutie had a 70% winnning percentage with Buffalo and Flutie had a 34.5% winning percentage.

I know you don't.  And I don't care.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

You said that I am biased. How so? 

Read the paragraph where I wrote this.

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Read the paragraph where I wrote this.

The fact that I completely disagree with your assessment doesn’t mean I am biased.

The facts argue against your unsupported assertions.

Again, where Johnson’s mother was from or whether Flutie was a bad guy is completely irrelevant to the discussion about who was the superior QB.

Edited by Sky Diver

19 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The fact that I completely disagree with your assessment doesn’t mean I am biased.

Again, where Johnson’s mother was from or whether Flutie was a bad guy is completely irrelevant to the discussion about who was the superior QB.

The facts do not objectively show that RJ was "truly awful."

RJ had a better QB rating and completion percentage than Jim Kelly so one can hardly say that RJ was "truly awful" unless one were completely biased.

No, I am not saying RJ was better than Jim Kelly.

Edited by Peter

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

The facts do not objectively show that RJ was "truly awful."

A 34.5% winning percentage is awful. Having the highest sack to drop back ratio in the NFL is awful.

Did you ever see him play?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

People can’t seem to separate the personalities from the on field accomplishments even after all these years. Give me the biggest douchebag in the world as our qb. If we win games and are in the playoffs, that’s far more important than being a “good guy” but getting nowhere. We experienced enough of that the past 3 years. After 17 years of garbage, you’d think by now this wouldn’t even be an argument. 

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

A 34.5% winning percentage is awful. Having the highest sack to drop back ratio in the NFL is awful.

Did you ever see him play?

I watched every minute that they both played.

Again, the fact that RJ had a better completion percentage and QB rating than Jim Kelly certainly shows that he was not (in your words) "truly awful" unless one were COMPLETELY biased. [No, I am not saying RJ was better than Jim].

I also readily admit that I am biased about Flutie and feel the same way about Flutie as I do about his BFF in this photo with him.

https://goo.gl/images/QChs7p

Edited by Peter

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I watched every minute that they both played.

Again, the fact that RJ had a better completion percentage and QB rating than Jim Kelly certainly shows that he was not (in your words) "truly awful" unless one were COMPLETELY biased.

I also readily admit that I am biased about Flutie and feel the same way about Flutie as I do about his BFF in this photo with him.

https://goo.gl/images/QChs7p

I think you are projecting your bias on to me. 

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Rob Johnson is just proving that he's still a Johnson.  Flutie's autistic kid was why you didn't start over him?  Did you really go there Bobby?  Bottom line, winning counts, and you were not a winner.  Flutie was, end of discussion.

Pretty sad to blame your failure on an autistic kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

I think you are projecting your bias on to me. 

Whatever you want to think.  

I will let you get the last word if you want.  

I have posted more about this subject both while it was taking place and since than any other subject that people have discussed on this board.  For the sake of efficiency, I will just incorporate all of my myriad posts on the subject.  The fact is that neither QB was great.  The only thing great about those teams was the defense and winning percentages had more to do with the defense in particular games than any other aspect of the team.   In the meantime, I will take Thurman's word on what kind of teammate Flutie was.

You guys can continue to re-litigate this.  

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I don’t condone cheering when a player is injured, but it was a reflection of how truly awful Johnson was.

More a reflection of how well Flutie played the PR game. Many fans really saw it as one or the other you can't like both. And the easy stereotype of Johnson was the surfer boy. Didn't matter that that really didn't fit who he was.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Pretty sad to blame your failure on an autistic kid. 

Pretty sad to be so desperate to make your point you're willing to pretend that's what happened. You're looking more and more like a troll rather than a poster here.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I don't see any quotes from Johnson that would indicate he's still bitter. He's recalling his perception of the situation at the time. Nothing wrong with that.

Johnson shouldn't be bitter anyway - he ultimately won the QB competition. Flutie was the one who was traded away while Johnson had the job all to himself in 2001 before he took a dump inside Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Talbot does a good job but his titles/headlines are 100% clickbait. I wish he'd get away from that.

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Talbot does a good job but his titles/headlines are 100% clickbait. I wish he'd get away from that.

Good call.  This dude is Bush League.

Not only did Johnson have an abysmal 34.5% winning percentage, he had the highest drop back to sack ratio in the NFL.

The article shows that he has no self-awareness of just how bad he was. If he thinks he really though that he lost his starting job because of Flutie’s autistic son, he’s delusional.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Not only did Johnson have an abysmal 34.5% winning percentage, he had the highest drop back to sack ratio in the NFL.

The article shows that he has no self-awareness of just how bad he was. If he thinks he really though that he lost his starting job because of Flutie’s autistic son, he’s delusional.

55 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rob Johnson career ended in 2003 at the age of 30. Flutie played until 2005 at the age of 43.

So I'm starting to sense that you preferred Flutie to Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

So am i but not with him even though i still don't like him as a QB we should be bitter with Ralph he was the one that made the decision to play him . RW did a lot of good things for this team but that wasn't one of them !! 

In a different situation it may have been alright but any dum ass knows you don't pull the guy that has played his heart out & was a huge reason why you got to the play offs that was a amateur move at best !! IMHO 

I'm over it, still didn't think Flutie was useful in the playoffs, never was.

And people still have this crush on the rodeo clown all this time later.

I guess if you just missed Jim Kelly this could somewhat be explained....

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Quick question, the Bills defense was among the best in football when Flutie was QBing the Bills.  Why were they behind so much?