Rob Johnson is still bitter after 20 years

I wish Phillips, Flutie and Johnson would all mend the fence, ESPN does a nice 30/30 on it and Flutie and Johnson lead the charge at a Bills home game.

I was convinced the last piece was the necessary piece that had to happen to appease the football gods to end the drought.  :D The football gods do not approve of a team benching a quarterback for a non-injury reason.  We saw it again when Peterman replaced Taylor in SD last year.  That hubris is severely punished.

The fact that RJ still holds onto this in 2018 speaks volumes about why his career didn't go the way he and a lot of people thought it could. 

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Don't we have this thread every year.

A tradition unlike any other...move over Masters...

Once a year...

The TBD world gathers...

For a Time Honored Tradition...

Unlike Any Other...

The Annual Flutie vs. Johnson Debate.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Didn't read the link but the legend of Doug Flutie is false.  He sucked.

That's not really true.

He was probably not as great as his supporters suggest, nor nearly as bad as people like you claim.

He entered the NFL too late, and he may be one of the very few players, ever, who was genuinely hampered by a measurable such as height.

He truly was too short/small a guy.  If you took everything else he had and put it into a 6'4" 225 lb. body, the dude would have been one of the greats.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That's not really true.

He was probably not as great as his supporters suggest, nor nearly as bad as people like you claim.

He entered the NFL too late, and he may be one of the very few players, ever, who was genuinely hampered by a measurable such as height.

He truly was too short/small a guy.  If you took everything else he had and put it into a 6'4" 225 lb. body, the dude would have been one of the greats.

.....he certainly was a legend...just ask 'em...SMH............

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

You appear to be forgetting a couple of critical elements of the Miami game.

1. Mounds fumbled away a near certain TD on the Miami 12 yrd line after a 65 yrd pass play.

2. Andre Reed bumped the referee after he was called down on Miami’s 1 yrd line and earned an ejection and a 15 yrd penalty. The Bills had to settle for a FG.

3. The Bills committed 9 penalties and had 4 fumbles.

Can't have it both ways. Regardless of what transpired earlier in the game, what happened when the game was on the line in the waning moments ? RJ led the team on an apparent game clinching FG completing a critical pass with one shoe. Flutie got strip sacked. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie was a fraud.

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Can't have it both ways. Regardless of what transpired earlier in the game, what happened when the game was on the line in the waning moments ? RJ led the team on an apparent game clinching FG completing a critical pass with one shoe. Flutie got strip sacked. 

It's weird how no one....NO ONE.... remembers how Flutie cost us that Miami playoff game.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

I love FLutie as much as the nexy guy, but methinks Rob Johnson would have been treated by the Bills fans way differently if Home Run Throw "forward" did not happen. Wade Philips coached a great game and his decision to bench Flutie for Johnson was fundamentally sound. Let us please be a bit kinder to Rob Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I love FLutie as much as the nexy guy, but methinks Rob Johnson would have been treated by the Bills fans way differently if Home Run Throw "forward" did not happen. Wade Philips coached a great game and his decision to bench Flutie for Johnson was fundamentally sound. Let us please be a bit kinder to Rob Johnson.

Calling a time out with three seconds left on the clock instead of two before kicking the FG, allowing one second for the Miracle to occur is not "coaching a great game".

18 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Calling a time out with three seconds left on the clock instead of two before kicking the FG, allowing one second for the Miracle to occur is not "coaching a great game".

It was 16 seconds and I think they may have decided to kick on 3rd down in case of a botched snap or whatever. I don't think they could run it down any further without a delay of game. 

43 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Flutie had a 70% winning percentage with Buffalo and Johnson had a 34.5% winning percentage.

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

It was three seconds.  There is a reason NFL coaches stop the clock at two before end-of-game field goals.  The stated reason for kicking on 3rd and stopping the clock at three seconds was in case of a bad snap.  They absolutely could have stopped it at two.

FG was good with 16 seconds remaining. Just looked it up. They couldn't have gotten it lower. 3 seconds wouldn't be enough in case of a bad snap , most likely. Regardless, they let the game clock run as long as they could without incurring a penalty. 

FG was good with 16 seconds remaining. Just looked it up. They couldn't have gotten it lower. 3 seconds wouldn't be enough in case of a bad snap , most likely. Regardless, they let the game clock run as long as they could without incurring a penalty. 

Yeah, just looked it up as well.  I'll admit I was mistaken, deleted my reply.  I blame old age, or trauma. ;-)

Joking aside, it was only 3rd down.  They could have taken it down to two seconds before kicking and chose not to.  Came back to bite them.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall this.  I recall him being Montana's imminent replacement and not dividing the locker room while he waited.  I never heard of him wanting to quit football.

From his own mouth. Watch A Football Life and some of the other stuff on him.

I think that was an honest assessment of what happened.  I think they were both a-holes for different reasons whose hatred for each other divided the locker room.  The reason the Bills went 10-6 in '98 and 11-5 in '99 was our defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, just looked it up as well.  I'll admit I was mistaken, deleted my reply.  I blame old age, or trauma. ;-)

Joking aside, it was only 3rd down.  They could have taken it down to two seconds before kicking and chose not to.  Came back to bite them.

Yes, it was 3rd down, so they could have snapped the ball again to run the clock down. However, I can't argue with the logic. A bad snap or whatever and the game is over. I'd like my chances that I can cover a kick and defend perhaps 2 plays with that defense. I'd like them to a 99.999% chance and many coaches would probably have done the same. It took complete ST breakdown that high school players would know not to do. Stay in your lanes and go make a tackle. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie had a 70% winning percentage with Buffalo and Johnson had a 34.5% winning percentage.

And most of Flutie's losses came at the end of that season, which is why Ralph wanted Johnson. It was obvious by then that NFL defenses were wise to all of Doug's tricks. (Like his pixie hop/pump fake when throwing.) He wasn't winning anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, it was 3rd down, so they could have snapped the ball again to run the clock down. However, I can't argue with the logic. A bad snap or whatever and the game is over. I'd like my chances that I can cover a kick and defend perhaps 2 plays with that defense. I'd like them to a 99.999% chance and many coaches would probably have done the same. It took complete ST breakdown that high school players would know not to do. Stay in your lanes and go make a tackle. 

Not sure I agree, but that just comes down to differing opinions.  What is the % chance of a bad snap vs the % chance of the opposing team getting a return that puts them in field goal range (or the endzone)?  Bad snaps are rarer then good runbacks.

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think that was an honest assessment of what happened.  I think they were both a-holes for different reasons whose hatred for each other divided the locker room.  The reason the Bills went 10-6 in '98 and 11-5 in '99 was our defense.  

Flutie had a 70% winning percentage and Johnson had a 34.5% winning percentage.

Flutie was 8 - 3 in 1998 and Johnson was 2 - 3. Flutie made the Pro-Bowl that year.

Flutie was 10 - 5 in 1999.

Flutie was 4 - 1 in 2000, Johnson was 4 - 7.

Flutie was released after the 2000 season and the Bills went 3 - 13 in 2001.

Edited by Sky Diver

There never should have been a QB controversy. Flutie should have been the starter and Johnson the backup.

The Bills screwed up trading for Johnson and then doubled down on their stupidity.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

A guy who continually held onto the ball way too long.....still holding a grudge? Shocking!

...according to CAREERBUILDER.COM, Massengil is looking for a highly qualified salesman......I think we found their guy......

They leave out the fact that Johnson started 11 games in 2000 and was the unquestioned starter going into 2001. He got hurt both years, didn't play well, and was sacked a total of 80 times in those 2 years. 80 times in 19 starts!! Alex Van Pelt even outplayed him 2001.

Did anyone else notice this article and that SI article are from last August?

Did anyone read the Rob Johnson quotes? They really weren't that bad at all. I remember being a big Flutie fan, but I was 9 at the time so I'm not trusting what my football judgment was. He was just an exciting guy to play, that botched run where he's supposed to hand it off to Thurman and bootlegs for a TD. He lateralled the ball to Thurman down field, I just remember him being exciting. Now, I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I do think the way people talk about how they would have beat Tennesse with Flutie sometimes is unfair, because while it wasn't pretty, Johnson did what he had to do and they lost for reasons completely out of his control.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie had a 70% winning percentage and Johnson had a 34.5% winning percentage.

Flutie was 8 - 3 in 1998 and Johnson was 2 - 3. Flutie made the Pro-Bowl that year.

Flutie was 10 - 5 in 1999.

Flutie was 4 - 1 in 2000, Johnson was 4 - 7.

Flutie was released after the 2000 season and the Bills went 3 - 13 in 2001.

I'm more upset about the Williams pick after this than all of what you're detailing.

It sounds to me like you're the only one who won't let it go.... And you even got your way for the most part.

Who cares? We're going to argue over two QB's that went on to only lose in the Wildcard... Things haven't changed much over the last 20 years.

5 hours ago, BuffaloTX said:

Met the guy as a kid. He's a turd 

Yea Flutie is a dick

Edited by Ol Dirty B

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie’s winning percentage with the Bills: 70%

Johnson’s winning percentage with the Bills: 34.5%

in 2000, Flutie was 4 - 1, Johnson was 4 - 7.

People don’t like it when you insert facts into an idiotic argument, especially all these years later. When confronted with facts they resort to his personality. Who gives a sh_t?  He won, Johnson didn’t. It’s literally that simple. Arguments this many years later is asinine. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I love the 70% winning percentage.

I will never forget Flutie's choice of pronouns in the post game press conferences depending on whether the Bills won or lost.  When the Bills won, he would use "I" and when the Bills lost, he would use "we."

Thurman is on record regarding what he thought of Flutie as a teammate.  Spoiler alert: not much.  

I had posted a link to the interview some time ago.  I tried to search for it a moment ago, but I am not sure what is going on with the search function.  You can look for it if you don't trust me.  It is my understanding that Thurman is not alone in his view of Flutie.

In the meantime, Johnson left the field with the Bills ahead in a playoff game while Flute did what the Flutopians always criticized Johnson of doing when the game was on the line in his Bills playoff game against the Dolphins . . . . 

https://youtu.be/k-gRYXg7D08

Irony.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Anyone who worships at the church of Flutie better have loved them some Tyrod Taylor.

Terrible comparison, but Flutie had 8 4th Quarter comeback wins and Taylor had 3.

Did you actually see Flutie play?

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I will never forget Flutie's choice of pronouns in the post game press conferences depending on whether the Bills won or lost.  When the Bills won, he would use "I" and when the Bills lost, he would use "we."

Thurman is on record regarding what he thought of Flutie as a teammate.  Spoiler alert: not much.  

I had posted a link to the interview some time ago.  I tried to search for it a moment ago, but I am not sure what is going on with the search function.  You can look for it if you don't trust me.  It is my understanding that Thurman is not alone in his view of Flutie.

In the meantime, Johnson left the field with the Bills ahead in a playoff game while Flute did what the Flutopians always criticized Johnson of doing when the game was on the line in his Bills playoff game against the Dolphins . . . . 

https://youtu.be/k-gRYXg7D08

Irony.

The Bills went 3 - 13 the year after Flutie left. How dos that make Bills players feel?

Edited by Sky Diver