LA Darnold Workout Speaks Volumes

theRalph

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't think anyone is implying any sort of deal is in place.  But I don't think they'd be flying to LA if they knew there's no shot at him.

Maybe but there are certainly those that believe in their mind  a deal is in place because it puts them in a little happy place for a short time anyways.  Whether they want to announce those thoughts to the world is another matter altogether.  If I had to guess there are at least ten people here that believe a deal is already done to move up.  

There has been a rumor that the Browns actually prefer Josh Allen and would draft him at #1.  There are rumors that the Giants will not draft a QB at all (as well as rumors the only QB the Giants would draft is Darnold).  There are rumors the Jets are focused in on drafting Baker Mayfield.  None of that stuff is set in stone, of course, but where there is rumor, there is the possibility of truth ("Where there's smoke, there's fire").  Because there are rumors and the possibility it could happen, Buffalo has to do their due diligence in case Sam Darnold actually does fall.  Personally, I don't think Buffalo has enough draft capital to trade up to 4 and then up to 2 as both Cleveland and the Giants would be asking for a premium over the already high price on the draft pick value chart.

Whatever happens happens.  Bills are gonna take who they want and then we'll root for whoever they pick.  Unless we don't like him, then some will B word incessantly and root for us to lose and leave at halftime until the new QB is pitched out, we tank, and pick another one and the cycle repeats ...

Go BILLS !!

27 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Whatever happens happens.  Bills are gonna take who they want and then we'll root for whoever they pick.  Unless we don't like him, then some will B word incessantly and root for us to lose and leave at halftime until the new QB is pitched out, we tank, and pick another one and the cycle repeats ...

Go BILLS !!

A tank, or as I prefer to call it "scripted season" has it's merits... Roster-wise, the team is in shambles.. Richie was the latest shoe to drop, and they still haven't addressed the gaps left by Wood and Glenn... You have to wonder how a kid like Darnold will fare in that scenario.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Not happening. Too many holes to fill to not keep at least a normal slate of picks. Darnold may be just due diligence or there is a possibility he could experience what some would consider a "fall" to make him attainable to us. You can bet your a** though that they will not ransom this whole draft to move up 10 slots.  

OK, I’ll bet my ass the Bills move up significantly.

What are you going to lay on the line?

Just now, #34fan said:

A tank, or as I prefer to call it "scripted season" has it's merits... Roster-wise, the team is in shambles.. Richie was the latest shoe to drop, and they still haven't addressed the gaps left by Wood and Glenn... You have to wonder how a kid like Darnold will fare in that scenario.

That's what everyone said last year.

We aint' tankin' or "scripting" a season.  We're gonna be winnin'!

The drought era is OVER!!

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

That's great that you don't think that. 

Every bit of news points to them wanting him.

So when information comes out this time of year we are to believe it religiously... killer.

I mean, I fore one think they will take Darnold, but I'm not going to act like its gospel right now, ya know the biggest misdirection time of year.

4 hours ago, theRalph said:

Some of us are waking at 3AM every day to see if the Bills have further traded up. That hasn't occurred as yet, but a 10-ton hint to this part of "the process" was dropped yesterday when reports surfaced that the Bills' top evaluators would travel to USC to work out Sam Darnold this Friday. When I heard this from Mike Schopp, I was compelled to call to say that the Bills must know they can get to #1 or #2, or why would you spend valuable pre-draft time vetting a QB you've no chance of drafting. Mike agreed, as did morning host Jeremy White this morning. Howard Simon questions, though, how can the Bills get to 1 or 2 from 12? Well, here's a bold prediction:

1. Browns select Josh Allen with the first pick.

2. Browns trade the 4th pick to the Bills with a big price tag. We've all heard what that price might be (12, 22, 53, 65...hopefully not 2019 first rounder also).

3. Bill trade the Giants the 4th pick, plus their remaining 2nd round pick (56) for the #2 pick.

4. Bills select Sam Darnold with the second pick.

5. Jets select one of the remaining QBs with the third pick.

4. Giants either select Bradley Chubb with the fourth pick, or trade down a few slots with any QB hungry team, with the assurance that Chubb will be available at 5, 6, or 7...maybe further.

We'll see.

it's called, not getting caught with your pants down. simple really.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think the people who are saying it means something are implying that if the Browns are sold on Darnold by this point they would be telling him to shut down visits and especially workouts for other teams.  If you are picking the guy you don't want him shredding his knee working out for the Jets or Bills.

If he is going to shred his knee in non-contact workouts it is bound to happen in training camp if Browns pick him.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Not happening. Too many holes to fill to not keep at least a normal slate of picks. Darnold may be just due diligence or there is a possibility he could experience what some would consider a "fall" to make him attainable to us. You can bet your a** though that they will not ransom this whole draft to move up 10 slots.  

12/65 and a 2nd next year....already a done deal with the browns for no. 4...a preliminary deal set up at the tyrod trade.

then, we give a 2nd and a 3rd for no.2....that leaves us 22, 1 2nd and 1 3rd......etc (something along these lines)

these guys dorsey /gettleman and beane already have this stuff worked out and i don't doubt it for a minute. you think guys that worked as partners in the same office prior , along with long time connections, aren't having open  no b.s conversations?

i don't....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Go BILLS !!

as long as i don't have to sit in the stands on Sunday and, along with everyone else in the stadium, yell, 'throw the goddamned ball', it's all good.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

So when information comes out this time of year we are to believe it religiously... killer.

I mean, I fore one think they will take Darnold, but I'm not going to act like its gospel right now, ya know the biggest misdirection time of year.

No, champ, I don't believe information religiously.

My statement was in response to somebody saying he didn't believe they want Darnold at all, yet basically every single source of info points to them wanting him, and have been on that page for a while, unlike the Browns who every source has them wanting somebody different .

I can think whatever I want though, anybody can.

I can say "I think the Bills will be trading for Aaron Rodgers" but that doesn't make it true.

You're right, there is a lot of smoke this time of year, and it could be that the Giants really want Barkley, and are trying to goad the Browns into taking darnold #1 so they can get Barkley #2.

Hell maybe they want Allen and are trying to push the Browns into taking Darnold first so Allen is available.

Hell they might not want any of them and are trying to drive the price up on the #2 pick to trade it.

All of that has merit, but I'm going to say that a team with an aging QB might just be going for a guy like Darnold who they can sit a year behind Eli and transition to, he seems like a great fit, and most of the sources I've read seem to think that's the guy they want.

4 hours ago, theRalph said:

Some of us are waking at 3AM every day to see if the Bills have further traded up. That hasn't occurred as yet, but a 10-ton hint to this part of "the process" was dropped yesterday when reports surfaced that the Bills' top evaluators would travel to USC to work out Sam Darnold this Friday. When I heard this from Mike Schopp, I was compelled to call to say that the Bills must know they can get to #1 or #2, or why would you spend valuable pre-draft time vetting a QB you've no chance of drafting. Mike agreed, as did morning host Jeremy White this morning. Howard Simon questions, though, how can the Bills get to 1 or 2 from 12? Well, here's a bold prediction:

2. Browns trade the 4th pick to the Bills with a big price tag. We've all heard what that price might be (12, 22, 53, 65...hopefully not 2019 first rounder also).

3. Bill trade the Giants the 4th pick, plus their remaining 2nd round pick (56) for the #2 pick.

4. Giants either select Bradley Chubb with the fourth pick, or trade down a few slots with any QB hungry team, with the assurance that Chubb will be available at 5, 6, or 7...maybe further.

We'll see.

I pray the they don't do this that would be such a waste !! for one player when they could fill out the roster for the next 4 + yrs with some really good talent !

And now that Incognito is retiring it puts an even bigger burden on drafting for the future because no matter how good the QB is if the front line sucks so will he because he won't have any time to see any thing develop !! 

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Giants want Darnold though...

You know this how?

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why is this so surprising? The Bills do not control their destiny here, so if Darnold drops for some reason do you really expect them to make the Pick without having met with him? Really? 

I’ll have about 20 Meetings this week for my job.  I can imagine that the Bills personnel staff can squeeze one in.

Are your meetings of the high level variety?

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

OK, I’ll bet my ass the Bills move up significantly.

What are you going to lay on the line?

I'm not saying they won't move up. I am saying that if you think they are going to sell their first 3 rounds of the draft and next year's 1st to move up 10 slots for a QB you've lost your mind. It's not happening. If you think they will then you will be disappointed. 

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

You know this how?

The same way everyone else "knows things"

Taking the 30 seconds to Google "Giants darnold" and reading the dozens of articles linking them to Darnold being plan A.

Is it 100% correct?

No.

Is it quite probable?

Yep.

When everyone seems to think it's who they want, and he is a great fit for a team most likely moving on from their franchise guy in 1-2 years, then yes, they most likely want Darnold.

Just now, inaugural balls said:

Why would anyone be interested in your ass?

You beat me to it.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

The same way everyone else "knows things"

Taking the 30 seconds to Google "Giants darnold" and reading the dozens of articles linking them to Darnold being plan A.

Is it 100% correct?

No.

Is it quite probable?

Yep.

When everyone seems to think it's who they want, and he is a great fit for a team most likely moving on from their franchise guy in 1-2 years, then yes, they most likely want Darnold.

You beat me to it.

I'd say it's possible, not quite probable. I wouldn't put too much stock into what you read. Mere speculation. 

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Nah. What if the draft goes 

1.Allen

2.Rosen

3.Mayfield

Beane are we trading up to 4 with the Browns and taking Darnold? I don't know Terry we didn't work him out, can you stop calling me so I can watch his YouTube clip before I call Dorsey!?

it's not the most likely scenario but it's just Beane and company doing their jobs.

then I am trading in with Denver and a happy person..

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

If he is going to shred his knee in non-contact workouts it is bound to happen in training camp if Browns pick him.

This is not directed at you but the broader subject of shutting down work outs.  It just does not work like the previous poster has implied.  You can't take a team at its "word" even if it is given and most likely goes against the protocol the league has with college athletes in terms of denying workouts based on who a team is.  Further, I would think that a prospect's agent would be advising taking as many workouts as possible within reason in part due to a team perhaps not keeping its "word."   Also, it makes the agent look bad in the future as the agent and player might be perceived as being too difficult to deal with hence a team choosing a different prospect.

At this point it is due diligence and nothing more. Don’t make too much of the fact that they went out to LA for this. Teams do this all the time. No big deal. Don’t get me wrong. It could happen. This visit in no way portends anything for certain.

5 hours ago, theRalph said:

We'll see.

I sincerely - sincerely - doubt that a GM who has never traded back in his prior history, including being part of the Giants that grabbed their testicles and rode out the Eli/Rivers trade, would drop to #4 from 2 for a second when they'd know how desperate the Bills are.

What might influence them to do this is the pressure to take a QB when they don't want to mess with Manning again. If Darnold is available and they don't take him, and he winds up great...bad things man, bad things. Not so good if they trade the spot away and he winds up great either, but better than straight passing on him. However, I still think it's going to take at least the second and something else, possibly from next year.

Also, why wouldn't the Bills, and any other QB needy team, travel to evaluate one of the top QBs available. Whether they want him, as a smoke screen, or even just to glean a little more insight into strengths and weaknesses in case they have to play against him (Browns/Jets), they should evaluate as part of normal business. If they didn't, I'd question their professionalism.

Edited by timekills17
clarity

59 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm not saying they won't move up. I am saying that if you think they are going to sell their first 3 rounds of the draft and next year's 1st to move up 10 slots for a QB you've lost your mind. It's not happening. If you think they will then you will be disappointed. 

And if the Bills love one of these QB’s, you can bet they will move heaven and earth to get him. 

20 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

these guys dorsey /gettleman and beane already have this stuff worked out and i don't doubt it for a minute. you think guys that worked as partners in the same office prior , along with long time connections, aren't having open  no b.s conversations?

i don't....

Exactly. Great point. 

The other part of this equation is that Sam Darnold & his agents at CAA would not have agreed to the private workout if they weren't convinced the Bills had a legitimate chance to pick him within the top 5 picks.

Heard something on Good Morning Football on NFL network this am to this effect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/10/2018 at 1:10 PM, theRalph said:

Some of us are waking at 3AM every day to see if the Bills have further traded up.

Seriously?  You need more exercise, less caffeine, and more of a life if that's true.

Or perhaps expert psychological help

The Bills are going to perform due diligence to their satisfaction on all the QB prospects.   Since no one knows for sure what all the top drafting teams will do, they need to be prepared with a value on top players they don't think they will draft.

Say the Browns take Allen #1, the Giants take Chubb or Barkley #2, Mayfield is the Jets guy.  Do the Bills want to offer something for #4 and draft Darnold or no?  And what do they want to offer if they do?

I think at this point the Bills have a very good idea what they would need to give up to move to various places in the draft

I think it's a stretch to believe that vetting a player with a private workout indicates they know they can move up, or that they plan to move up.

10 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

The other part of this equation is that Sam Darnold & his agents at CAA would not have agreed to the private workout if they weren't convinced the Bills had a legitimate chance to pick him within the top 5 picks.

Heard something on Good Morning Football on NFL network this am to this effect.

That's a point, but in theory any team can move up and pick a guy, the question is whether they want to.  It doesn't hurt a guy's draft stock to feel there are a bunch of QB-needy teams interested in him, so the agents have no reason to turn a team with a legit interest in drafting a 1st rd QB away.

No one has promised Darnold he'll go in the top 5 picks either. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seriously?  You need more exercise, less caffeine, and more of a life if that's true.

Or perhaps expert psychological help

No need to make personal attacks, !@#$tard. oops....that slipped.

21 minutes ago, theRalph said:

No need to make personal attacks, !@#$tard. oops....that slipped.

Nothing personal at all, man.  You said " Some of us are waking at 3AM every day to see if the Bills have further traded up. "

That ain't normal, man.  More exercise, less caffeine, psychological help, or more of a life.  Nothing derogatory intended.

• Like (+1) 1